Saving the Starlight Ch. 04

Story Info
Winning backers and dealing with problems.
5.5k words
4.74
5.7k
3
0

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/26/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the law firm of Stanley, Sharpe and Weymouth, property developer Fenton Murdoch was introduced to Steve and wife Sharon Walker, owners of New Age Cinemas and brothers Terry and Owen King, owners of Wainui Multiplex Theatres Ltd. Together they operated eleven screens.

Fenton shook hands with lawyer Ann Sharpe representing her parents the Walkers and Terry Kingston who was qualified in law represented his brother and himself.

Terry said, "We sought this little chat and request absolute confidence - agreed Fenton and Sally?"

That agreement to confidentiality was necessary as the country had laws against backroom commercial deals that were harmful to the public interest.

Fenton and Sally agreed to the agreement.

"We want you to abandon the Starlight project Fenton."

"Get lost," Fenton replied aggressively, making Terry flush angrily.

"Oh come on Mr Murdoch, talk nicely," Ann Sharpe said sweetly. "The Kingston's and my clients have their business interests to protect. They are prepared to soften your resistance to their commercially sensible business decision by offering you ten thousand dollars."

Fenton shook his head, not smiling.

"That is now doubled to $20,000 dollars."

Fenton stared at the ceiling and Ann clicked her tongue and went into a huddle with the cinema operators.

"That's our last call to avoid hostilities Mr Murdoch. The final offer is $50,000."

Fenton heard Sally suck in breath.

He said sternly, "The Starlight will be saved - you are only here to talk money or issue threats. Guys there was no need to be hit on us like this with outright corruption as what you are suggesting is illegal. Goodbye; are you coming with me Sal."

"Mr Murdoch - stay. I think you have more to say to us."

"Thank God for women like you Sharon. Yes, I have something to say and this is in absolute confidence as I wish it announced with perfect timing."

"On the afternoon of the Gala Matinee Opening of the restored Starlight I want it to be an afternoon event so parents can take their children to be thoroughly entertained. I intend to introduce the Mayor and to hand over debt-free the Starlight to a newly created Starlight Cinema Theatre Community Trust which I imagine with rise from the ashes of the successful Save the Starlight Theatre Trust."

"The deed of transfer of title will include the obligation of the owner of Garfia Towers to maintain the exterior of the Starlight and any internal construction problems."

"In addition, if ever the Cinema Theatre Trust disbands, ownership of the theatre will automatically transfer to the Wainui District Council."

"I remember Garfia," Ann smiled. "My mother was a horse show judge and your father allowed me to ride Garfia when I was about seventeen. She was such a noble horse."

"This is all twaddle," Terry Kingston said. "You guys don't have a hope of raising $3 million within a year."

"Would you like to bet on that Kingston - my five hundred bucks says we will?"

"You're on Murdoch."

"Thanks Kingston. Please regard your loss as a donation to the Starlight Trust. My faith is with the fund-raisers."

Fenton explained to the cinema owners that the Starlight would not be in competition with them for the latest blockbusters although it would compete for a share of the money individuals spent on cinema-going.

"Perhaps we will increase what they spend on cinema. A condition in the trust deed at the time of handing over will stipulate that any feature film less than ten years old since its first official commercial release anywhere cannot be screened at the Starlight."

"The cinema/theatre will be registered for legislative protection under the category of a historic place in the category of a nostalgic cinema or theatre. Another condition requires the trust to use best endeavours to stage a Christmas Pantomime just like the old days and the auditorium will double as the venue for other stage productions."

Sharon giggled and said she was Queen Diddy one year at the Starlight and Terry laughed and said he remembered that panto (pantomime).

Murdoch said firmly "Well guys, we seem to be on the same Planet. Will you donate to the appeal?"

"One thousand," Steven Walker growled but his wife Sharon said to him to make that five thousand.

"We'll match that Sharon," said Terry."

Driving back to Fenton's house Sally said, "We've had a very successful afternoon, haven't we?"

"Indeed and thank you Sally. But would be mind if I..."

"It's only because I'm a married woman, isn't it?"

"Yes and I'm sorry."

"Just continue to kiss me and be my friend Fenton. Men rarely want to have just friendship from me. I was surprised when you turned down that $10,000 bribe and was left breathless when the offer came of $50,000."

Fenton leaned across and stroked the side of her hair.

"Sally, you and me and a few others have jumped aboard to allow older people to relive some of the good times of their younger days and to allow coming generations of kids, if they feel so inclined, to see films their parents and even their grandparents loved so much when they were kids. Dashing the dream for even a million bucks? I don't think so. Good dreams transcend big money."

"You sound so noble and that makes me feel dirty Fenton."

"Why have you sometimes given it away for money?"

"Fenton! Of course not and I never will."

"Well then, don't kick yourself. Most of us have hobbies or favourite recreations and who can judge the proprietary of your favourite past-time better than you? Let's switch to business - would you call an urgent meeting of trustees so we can really get the show on the road?"

"That's a good idea; let's meet at my place at 7:30 tomorrow evening. I'll invite the Mayor as well although he may not be free. His wife has become a trustee and he's now our Patron. That would make seven of us."

Sally stopped her vehicle outside Fenton's home. He kissed Sally who giggled and said she'd not ask to be invited in and drove off, a hand waving high out of the driver's open window.

Fenton had left his phone behind on purpose and found a message from Trinity saying she would be at the Wharf Restaurant bar at 5:30 with a guy and his wife and they'd probably stay on for dinner. If Fenton wanted to join them he should just arrive.

Fenton felt his stomach quiver. Was this a dodge by Trinity to get him alone and then nail him? No that would be a childish tactic.

He entered the bar and Trinity waved and made a few steps towards him. He kissed her and she didn't pull away. She then put an arm through his and led him to the table where she introduced him to Steve and Blanche Pennington.

"I understand that you're Fletcher's boss Steve?"

"Yes I'm managing director of Wainui Metro Publishing Ltd. I own 80% of the company together with my life and my parents still have money in it plus my sister Rachel who manages the associated printing works."

"I've read about you," Blanche said, holding up a cheek to be kissed. "You look even more handsome than that picture in that front page of your apparent failed attempt to seduce Trinity."

"Blanche!" said Steve indignantly and the two women giggled.

Fenton said he knew a Tony Pennington who was a senior engineer at the District Council and he'd played golf with Tony.

"Yeah Tony is my older brother and he's a big fan on yours."

Trinity explained she and Blanche had gone through high school and university together.

"When I became head girl at high school I appointed Blanche as my deputy to be my enforcer because she'd grown to six-two and lifted weights like a man."

"But Steve found I wasn't really built like a man when he got to me," Blanche gurgled, making the embarrassed Steve turn and beckon over a waitress.

"What is your vocation Blanche?"

"I'm creative director at Bell and Lewis advertising. I was Blanche Stewart and you probably know my dad who was operations manager of the old Sports Centre in the days you were a football star. He heads the syndicate who own the new Events Centre. Trinity believes having contacts like Steve and me will be useful to the cause."

Fenton shot a grateful look at Trinity.

She said, "Yes indeed and the Metro already is supporting the cause magnificently."

"But there's still a long way to go," Steve sighed. "I'm the incoming-president of Wainui Rotary and am prepared to nominate your fund-raising campaign as the President's Project and that means forming a fund-raising committee answerable to the trust. The trust will makes policy, administer the strategic plan it creates with our help and bank and managed the funds. Our group will interface between the trust and the public."

Steve smiled: "Raising $3 million in a year appears unachievable but most of our guys never say die. It would be a record fundraiser for this city and outer environs - I think the best to date is $600,000 raised for the Events Centre. The gap between the two fundraising goals makes one rather breathless but Trinity has sold me on the idea. Fenton I can assure you that powerhouse Rotarians will line-up for places on this committee if you sell the project to Rotary."

"You mean Sally?"

"No she and Trinity will be there in support; the three of us agree you are the prime person to sell it and you push the concepts of vision and belief as if they reside in your genes - that's the genes not the jeans."

They talked about other things until Fenton said, "Steve, we really need to find a way to ensure the public is convinced there will be absolute transparency certifying that all money raised by public subscription is spent only on Cinema reconstruction and fit-out."

"I appreciate you raising that point Fenton. I'm thinking of appointing two Rotarians who are public accountants to combine to pay all invoices submitted by the cinema contractor and its subcontractors and overlay that with an independent and continuous audit."

"Great and that would eliminate my major concern," Fenton said, eyes shining.

Steve teased, "I thought the ultimate hurdle was attempting to rake in three million?"

"Oh no this fund-raising will be operated like a crusade, the mission being to turn a large proportion of the local population into believers. The total population in the catchment area of Wainui City CBD and services is 102,000. Say 30,000 of those people become believers and during the year each come forward with fifty bucks we bank $1.5 million - halfway there!"

Steve and Blanche's mouths hung open.

"See I told you he was inspirational," Trinity smiled.

During dinner Fenton took a call from Stan Gill, who ran a company that specialized in producing steel columns and beams and erecting them. After asking Fenton how his golf was going and reminding him they'd met only recently, Stan said he'd just arrived home and had been talking to Gavin Robinson at the Professional Club.

"We see you as a potential customer Fenton."

They arranged that Fenton would call at Stan's home after dinner. He returned to the table and said it had been a business call with a guy called Stan Gill whom he'd met just the once at golf.

"Stan's a millionaire like you, one of our premium members," Steve said. "He'll want to talk about steel framing. Push him to do a deal."

"That's already on my mind."

"Yes the Metro claimed you are a millionaire," Blanche said, making her husband snort again.

"Yes, I read that too," Trinity said. "Tell us more."

"I'm just a developer, and developers can go broke at the drop of a hat. I don't claim to be a millionaire but there is a family trust."

Trinity looked disappointed and asked, "Is that all?" But she brightened when Blanche said millionaires rarely talk about their situation.

"Why don't you wait to read the official story in Saturday's paper," Steve said. "Meg Raymond-Moore has interviewed him and returned to the office asking breathlessly asking for an extra page and got it. It will be a two-page spread."

"Oh are you rated as royalty sweetie?" Trinity said.

Blanche giggled. "Yes, Royalty, national heroes, rock stars, mega-rich businessmen visiting the country, the Prime Minister and Porno Queens rate a two-page spread. Which category fits you darling?"

"No more liquor for you two." Steve said. "Don't answer them Fenton. They are acting as if they are back at high school."

"I rather like young women who are lively, charming and tease a bit," Fenton said. "If you'll excuse me I must go."

"Kisses first," Blanche cried.

"Yes please," called Trinity.

Blanche kissed him delicately on the lips, patting him on the back as if signally she approved of him. On the other hand, Trinity kissed him passionately as if branding him publicly. "I'll see you tomorrow evening at the trust meeting."

"Oh yeah, it's within easy walking distance from my home. Do you with to come for dinner and we can walk to the meeting and you may wish to stay the night?"

Trinity blushed deeply and croaked, "I'll let you know."

"Bye Fenton," Steve said as they shook hands. "I urged Fletcher to accept the offer of a seat on the trust. He's the best man we have for your project - very meticulous and great at looking for new angles and chasing up people. The Metro will support this trust project 100% and thanks for saving the Starlight. I went there most Saturdays for years when I was a kid and our two kids are old enough to enjoy the experience when Starlight reopens."

Fenton said softly, "You and your team are already done plenty - thanks a million Steve."

* * *

Stan Gill's home of the riverside was ablaze with lights and appeared to be a sprawling one-level palatial home with a steel frame anchored to concrete foundations and clad substantially in glass with a flat roof. Truly it was a standout home of huge architectural merit - a millionaire's home, Fenton grinned.

Wife Shirley greeted him at the door saying Stan was on a call.

She looked familiar and acted familiar, kissing him and then smiling as she teased, "You don't remember me, do you."

That forced him to concentrate and then he saw the freckles as she wasn't wearing make-up apart from pale lipstick.

"Ah yes - Shirley Maitland."

"My freckles have faded," she giggled as she caught his growing grin.

In her second year at high school she'd gone after him although he was a class ahead and he'd relented and finally accompanied her on a date- a Saturday afternoon at the Starlight. He now saw it clearly. She'd pulled him against into a doorway where it was slightly more private and they'd kissed as new friends developing a liking for each other.

"I suspected you were my first girlfriend with real breasts," he whispered.

Shirley blushed as he stepped into the hallway and held up her face to be kissed again, still smiling. "I rather fancied you then and still do I'm happy to admit."

At school their little romance lasted about a month before the teasing of her friends began to embarrass Shirley while Fenton revelled in the male teasing as he launched himself into fights which helped toughen him up for football fame that lay ahead.

Shirley had drifted away from him. She met Stan at university and he moved to Wainui after graduation to work in her father's steel construction business.

"We must go out to dinner sometime - I mean with Stan," he added hastily.

Shirley smiled and said that would be nice. Would Paul Wentworth's pretty daughter accompany him?

"Er probably; do you know her?"

"Not really but I know Paul as he's our solicitor. I thought when seeing the picture of you two on the front page of the newspaper that was his daughter laying claim to you."

"We didn't know the photographer had arrived. We'd just slipped aside to share the excitement of jumping a hurdle with our project."

"Oh but it still sends out a signal that other women will note. Are you sleeping with her?"

Shirley saw his head dip.

"Oh dear, sorry. I just assumed..."

"It's okay; I've decided to take it slowly. Our mutual attraction appears to run deeply and somewhat unevenly."

Shirley smiled that she understood.

Stan appeared and the two men greeted warmly. Fenton had the thought that meeting Shirley first hadn't been coincidental.

"Shirley tells me you were the first guy to give her something approaching a sexy kiss."

Fenton replied unfazed, "Well perhaps but that was at high school."

"I knew it was," Stan said. "She now wants me to assist with the Starlight Project saying her father would have wanted that to happen. Shirley and I used to go to the Starlight until it started to become grotty."

"Well Fenton, how can we assist with steelwork? I called on Gavin Robinson and saw the drawings of the Starlight. He wouldn't show me what's going above it but I suspect it should be a steel structure rather than reinforced concrete."

Shirley handed out the three whiskies she'd poured and sat beside their guest, very little gap showing although it was a long leather sofa. Stan, already showing signs of baldness, grinned. "You two look great together" and grinned at the embarrassment he'd created.

Fenton hauled his mind back to discussing the structure above the cinema/theatre base.

"Alex and Gavin have been commissioned to produce working drawings of a steel and glass structure."

"And the exterior surrounding the glass will be cladding giving the effect of white granite."

Fenton turned to look at Shirley in astonishment. "How did you know that - only the Robinson's and I know that?"

"They have not breached confidence. It's just my intelligent guess made when I noted your building was to be called Garfia Towers. I was one of many horse-mad girls your father used to allow groom and sometimes ride Garfia, easiest the classiest mare in our entire region. Many of us attended her burial."

Fenton looked away and said white granite panels would be too expensive but a composite was available to give the desired effect.

"The Robinson's will call tenders for the steel and Stan I can say they will hope you win the contracts because they know your performance. What I'd like to see is mate's rates for the steel supply and erection associated exclusively with the Starlight contracts. I'm asking you to consider a community-minded contribution to reduce costs to the trust."

"Shirley has already asked for that which is the reason why you are here. At this stage my thinking is the trust pays market rates for the supply of steel with no charge for the steel-forming work and erection which would mean slower progress as my guys would be assigned to that work on periods of downtime. Some of the guys may volunteer to work without pay on Saturday afternoons as their contribution."

Fenton beamed, "Stan that would be magnificent if that proposal eventuates. Wow that would be a major cost-saving for the cinema restoration. At the time of your briefing your team I could ensure Sally and Trinity wear tight bras and short skirts when talking to your crews."

Stan grinned while Shirley breathed, "Men!"

"My guys regard me as their motivator," Stan said proudly.

"Have the women with you Stan," Shirley said. "You guys are smart enough to recognise a con but will enjoy the show."

"I'll ensure no downtime occurs on your own project Fenton as you have already sacrificed much with your intervention to save the Starlight. I take it that your steel structure is erected on the outside of the existing cinema structure as shown in the preliminary sketches?"

"Yes, it was the only option and I worked on similar projects in Sydney to preserve registered historic structures so know what's involved. If you win the contract you'd need to work very closely with the Robinsons as I believe the initial steelwork for both projects could proceed contemporaneously."

"Yes quite but isn't that a rather large word for you?" Stan joked.

12