Scandal - Pt. 01

Story Info
The Duke of Grafton is broke and in desperate need of a wife.
5.1k words
4.27
4.1k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

London, 1801

-

Gabriel Argyll, Duke of Grafton

-

I need to get married.

And please understand I don't want to get married.

But I must, all the same.

From my experience, only three kinds of men take on a wife: fools who fall in love, fools who need an heir and... fools who go broke.

Fools, all of them.

You can guess which one I am.

I'll give you a hint: I don't believe in love and I'm far too young to be worried about an heir, (even though my late mother would probably disagree with this last part).

Yes, I am broke.

I have many debts, I owe many favors, I am one month away from having to sell my family´s ancestral home of Dunby Place or worry about starving.

Not a good position to be in, but I do have some things in my favor, you see? I may be a social spirit with a soft spot for losing coin on games and women, but here's what you need to know: I'm handsome, I'm a duke and it's social season in London.

For the next three months this town will be drowning in balls and parties filled with young women desperately looking for a husband. They want money, looks and title. I have two of those things, and most people don't know I lack the third.

Fathers would pay me a small fortune to take their daughters off their hands. So all I need is to find a particularly rich one and the matter is settled. A good dowry will fix everything.

This is why I came back to London.

This is why I am now walking into the Purple Dwight, the fanciest gentleman's club in town, where my old friend Peter Lockhill is waiting for me by those leather chairs over there. Do you see him? With his blonde hair and quiet brown eyes. He always looks clueless, but I know him for long enough to know that it's not just a look.

"Your Grace!" he stands to greet me with gleeful intimancy. He is a good friend and not just an old one. We are a perfect pair, you see? I have an act for getting us in trouble and he has a way of getting us out.

"I missed you in France!" I take the drink he offers so we can toast to our reunion.

"I find that hard to believe! I'm sure you were so deep in french women to even notice my absence!" he jests.

"God bless french women" I laugh "But it's the english ones I've returned for"

"So I'm told. Did I read your letter right? You're finally looking for a duchess? Why now?"

"My age... I need an heir? Or something" I grin and Peter knows me far too well:

"You spent your last penny in France, didn't you?"

He needs no reply so I give him none.

"Well..." He studies me carefully "The season is about to begin. The Dorchesters are having a ball at their London house in three days. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding women by the dozens"

"I don't need dozens, Petey. Just one. So, tell me... who is the richest lady to debut this season?"

Peter sighs cause he is trying to pretend that he disapporves me, but we are two peas in one pot and his sigh quickly turns into a grin.

"That would be the Spencer heir" he nods, without a moment of hesitation "Ms. Adeline Spencer"

"I don't recognise the name. I never heard of a house Spencer"

"That's because they have no House"

"A commoner? Good God, Petey, you think me that low?"

"You didn't ask for blood, you asked for money. And no one in this town has more money than Arthur Spencer"

"New money?"

"He is a merchant. He owns a fleet and some business in the Americas. He is said to have made so much money that he owns entire cities over there. But he wants his daughter to marry into a title so she was raised in England"

"He is bitter over having money but no prestige..."

"... and wants his daughter to have both, yes. But it's even better than that, my friend" he laughs "The dowry for the young miss should be extraordinary, yes, but... listen to this: old Arthur has no other children and after three wives, it doesn't look like he can father any others"

My eyes go wide. My jaw drops before I can muster a smirk.

"She is to inherit everything?"

"Every single thing. And he adores her"

"Then it is settled. Come fall, miss Adeline Spencer will find herself the Duchess of Leicester"

"I like your spirit, Gabriel" he laughs "But do remember there will be many others interested in this particular catch".

"I am not worried about competition" Not at all. I know exactly what ladies like to hear from a man.

"All right. And I feel like I should warn you, she is rather plain looking"

"I don't need her to be pretty, Petey" I finish my drink "I just need her to be rich".

-

----------

-

Miss Adelina Spencer

-

I need to get married.

And please understand I don't want to get married.

But my father says I must, all the same.

I wanted to travel with him. Go across the ocean and see the places he's been to. Experience life in a land where title and birth don't matter.

That's sound wonderful.

But father said I had to be raised in England, like a proper lady. And what a lady I've been! Hiding away in the country because the British elite doesn't take well to a low born sharing their table.

They had to let me in and smile because father is so rich he could destroy them all, but they never accepted me and they made sure I knew it.

It was all for the best.

If they didn't accept me, I didn't accept them.

I don't want to get married.

And worst of all: I NEVER want to get married to one of them. With their titles and their entitlements, judging themselves better than others because they know who their great-great-grandfather was.

If marry I must, then I'd rather have it be to an american man.

But being born a woman means you can decide nothing but the color of your dress, and sometimes not even that. Like tonight, for instante: I'm wearing blue silk because some matron my father hired said it matched my eyes. My eyes are green and the matron is insane.

Changes nothing though: I'm still wearing blue.

I'm not a fan of blue, but I'm also not a fan of balls. So the night is looking mighty wonderful to me so far, wouldn't you say?

"Ms. Spencer, I would like to introduce you to Lord Wilson Marburry, Viscount of Briar"

He bows and takes my hand.

"Ms. Spencer, my pleasure to introduce you to Lord James Aberdeen, first son of House Everton"

He bows and takes my hand.

"Ms. Spencer, if it pleases you, this is Lord Victor Nas..."

I don't know.

So many men around me all night.

After a while all I hear is: "Miss Spencer? This is Lord Something of Something" A bow. A kiss on my fingers.

They all melt into the same face and the same name.

Father is besides himself with pride and joy. He thinks all these noble men are interested in me and not in his money.

I love my father deeply, but I know he has no self respect when it comes to the British aristocracy.

What I wouldn't give to get out of this place.

I was right to ask father to delay my debut last year. Eighteen would have been too soon to handle these hungry men. Not that nineteen feels all that better.

Oh! I should tell you about Lady Lenora Dawkins, she is daughter to a Marquis and the belle of the season. That sounds pathetic, doesn't it? That's because it is. It means she is the most beautiful of the debutants and has a good birth. Im glad she is here because she seems to be the only one who can draw these horrible men away from me.

She is so beautiful with her long red hair and blue eyes that she makes all these young lords forget how rich my father is. God bless her.

"This is my chance" I grab Astrid's arm so hard that I make her wince "They are all looking at her, I think I can sneak out"

"Why do you always need to sneak out?" she whispers.

Why?

Because I can only take these balls in small amounts before I feel like screaming.

Astrid wouldn't understand me. She is a lady. Daughter of a Count. Her mom was the third daughter of a Duke whose line includes a couple of princes. So she is really a lady. But because of her looks and her ways, she's always been something of an outcast. It only made sense that we became quick friends.

"Would you like to join me?" I invite her with a smirk cause I can already imagine her answer.

Astrid is not one to break the rules and, even if she were, she would still choose to stay behind because...

"Or are you waiting for Lord Lockhill" I tease and she squeezes my hand, demanding I shut up.

"Be quiet, Ada!" she begs "Please don't jest about this anymore! There is nothing between Peter and I".

"Peter, hm?" I tease some more and she stares me down so hard I run away. All for the best... I really was planning on sneaking out alone.

I keep being told young ladies shouldn't walk around without an escort. Specially at night during an event, but I'm not a lady, am I?

And the gardens looks so quiet and peaceful. I go through a set of doors and down a set of stairs and I am set.

I wander deeper into the garden until the party sounds are no more than a humming in the distance. The air is cold this evening, it feels like it might rain later or...

"Gabriel, nice to meet you"

Uh?

I look around.

"Oh no, Miss, the pleasure is all mine" the same voice.

There are some well trimmed bushes around a flower bed and I turn the corner carefully... that's when I see him. He is alone in the dark and he looks very handsome.

I am not one to be easily bewitched by looks, but this gentleman is something. His dark hair is thick and wavy, his jawline is masculine and his features are all hypnotising. He is tall with large shoulders. His voice hovers in the dark, hitting me like I'm being caressed by the air.

He adjusts his jacket, straightening his posture and again he says: "It is such a great honor to meet you. Please, call me Gabriel"

Is he... rehearsing?

I can't stop a giggle and he immediately turns, being drawn to the sound.

"Who's there?" he asks, with a much harsher tone than before.

"I'm sorry" I cover my mouth "I... got lost" I lie, still holding back giggles.

"Oh, of course" he seems a little embarrassed "I was... I was just... practicing something"

"Yes" I try to keep my face serious but it's impossible "One should always practice one's name. It's an easy thing to forget" I joke and he does not seem pleased.

"Maybe I should help send you on your way, milady. You wouldn't want to be caught in the dark with a man"

"No one would care" I shrug.

I say this because my father is who he is. But I think the gentleman in front of me may have understood something different. His eyes glimmer with curiosity, as if he thinks I truly am the kind of woman who so often is caught in the dark with a man that it is no longer a noteworthy event. I should have every intention of correcting him, but for whatever reason, I really care that little about my reputation.

"I see" he smiles "Maybe I should escort you back, either way. To make sure nothing bad happens to you, Lady...?"

"Ada" I already caught him at an embarrassing moment, didn't I? He may as well call me by my nickname "You can call me Ada"

"Wonderful" he approaches me until I can smell his perfume and it's so good and makes me shiver "You can call me Gabriel" he says, but it sounds nothing like the gentleman way he was rehearsing before. He sounds hungry now. Like all the men back at the ball who wanted me, only his hunger seems to have a different nature.

There is a warm feeling in my nape, sending goosebumps down my spine. And all that because of one quick introduction.

I realise I've been holding my breath.

I realise he notices it.

I smile, shyly.

He smirks, arrogantly.

"So, Lord Gabriel, why were you rehearsing your own name?"

"Well, Lady Ada, I am about to meet someone very important who I wish to impress"

"You're quite late for the ball, already, my lord. Maybe a best way to make an impression was to be on time?"

"No, you see..." he gets even closer. So close I can see the shade of his eyes even though it's so dark. He leans in. He is breathing me in. Breathing deep and smooth to feel my perfume and I get chills all over "I like to be late" his whispers is soft and warm, like a fluffy towel drenched in warm water sliding over your tired skin. If he gets an inch closer his nose will touch my cheek. I don't breathe because I am afraid to move "It's the best way to make an entrance" he smiles as he takes half a step back, allowing me to breathe again.

"I see" I catch my breath. He is quite proud of the effect he has over me, but not surprised.

He does this to women.

And he knows it.

"And what are you doing here? Alone, in the night?"

"I- Well... I... I just had to be alone for a bit. I hate these balls"

"A trait we share"

"Really, sir? You look like you quite enjoy parties"

"You have this opinion based on your vast knowledge of my personality over the fifteen seconds we've known each other?"

"It was very revealing fifteen seconds. I watched you say your name quite a few times, afterall"

"Yes, yes. Of course. Well, my new friend, I like honest parties. Not these fake ones"

What?

I don't ask the question out loud, but I think my face did that for me, cause he chuckles before answering:

"These balls are all about putting on masks. People pretending to be polite lords and ladies for the society to respect them. I like... other kinds of parties. The ones for people who don't care about looking respectful"

"And what would happen in such a party?"

"I'd say I'd be delighted to show you, but it is no place for a lady. God, those are barely places for a lord" he laughs.

"So you are one of those libertines, aren't you?" I say, even though I'm not entirely sure I know what the word means.

"That is not very respectful"

"I thought you didn't care about respect".

He smiles.

It's not a normal smile. It doesn't show joy. It's not about being polite.

He smiles like he approves me, and good God, he must be the first one in all of London.

"You should really go back inside" his thumb travels over his lower lip drawing my attention to it, so it takes me a second to notice he's staring at my mouth like he wants it "It will do you no good to be caught in a garden, alone with a libertine" he says the last word slowly, intentionally getting back at me.

"I've heard about your type, but I've never met one"

"Never met one?"

"One like you. Men who do things in the dark that no respectable man would ever be caught doing"

His laughter is loud and spontaneous. He has a beautiful smile. Not that it would be surprising, everything about him is beautiful. What a treat it must be, to walk through life being a man, with money and titles (which he clearly has) and looking like that.

"I assure you, Lady Ada, you know plenty of men who do things in the dark. They just choose not to talk about it in the light"

"Well, there is no light around here. So why don't you tell me?"

His arms are crossed and he is still touching his smile. Still staring at my lips.

"What would you like to know?"

"What do libertines really do? I've heard the word being said, but never what it... really means. Father just says to stay away from them because they care not for reputations. But what does that mean?"

"Oh, you poor inocent little thing. You truly have no idea, do you?" he likes that. He likes that I have no idea.

"Will you tell me?"

"You should listen to your father"

"I tried, I failed"

He laughs, again. Approving me, again.

"Oh, Lady Ada... in another life, I'd only be so happy to show you"

"I never said to show me, sir. I said to tell me" I cross my arms back at him, making it clear I am not a woman who enjoys having her curiosity denied.

And... something changes in the air.

It's like a crackle.

Like walking around the woods in the silence of the night and feeling a branch snap under your foot.

Something happened.

I'm not sure what... but Lord Gabriel is looking at me like I have no idea that our conversation is about to change.

He feels heavy.

His look.

His breathing.

His stance.

There's a weight to everything. An intensity.

Like he is no longer joking.

Like he could never joke any longer.

Dead serious.

A smirk.

He is so handsome and so close, I lose my breath again.

"I like to make women want me" he explains.

"Is... is that it?"

"Yes. Simple, isn't it?"

"I thought it had to do with... with... with gambling and drinking"

"Yes, that too. But it's the women part that really gets me"

"W-why?"

"Because I enjoy it when women want me so bad they lose their breaths. Tell me, milady, now that we've knows each other for more that fifteen seconds. Do you want me?" his smile is sinful "Am I making you lose your breath?"

"That's very arrogant of you"

"That's not an answer"

When did he get so close.?

So close I have to take a step back or I'll be in his arms.

"You'll get none from me" I reply, but I fear my face might be betraying me again.

"Well, I want you. You made me lose my breath. How about that?"

"I'm sure I didn't"

"Ah, you beautiful innocent little thing. You have no idea the effect you have on men. But you'll be married soon and you'll know".

"I'm not sure about that"

"Your father can't find you a husband?"

"It's... complicated"

"I can imagine it is. Then let me ask you something else: have you ever kissed a man, Ada?" he is wearing gloves, but even so, him touching my lips feels incredibly wrong. So why am I closing my eyes? "Has any man ever felt your lips on his?"

"N... no" I stutter, and his thumb is over my mouth. Playing with it. Toying with me.

"Would you give me the honour of being the first?"

"I... If anyone finds out, we'll..."

"No one will. It's just you and me here. If I tell, they'll make me marry you. And if you tell, that will ruin your reputation. I think we can trust each other on this. The only question is... do you want me?" He leans to me. So close I fell his words on my tongue "Do you want me to show you what I do in the dark to the women who want me?"

I reach for his arms.

I want to taste his lips.

I know I shouldn't, but I'll worry about that after.

He takes me by the waist and pulls me in. I run my hands up his arms to his shoulders.

His nose slides on mine. His smile brushing my lips.

He kisses me.

On the lips.

Long and chaste.

I breath out a moan.

"Oh God" he mutters, under his breath as I push away.

"I.... I should go. Good night. Excuse me. I should... yes. Good bye" I trip trying to get away from him and Gabriel needs to help me keep steady. But that is only for a second. I can't be in his arms or I'm afraid I'll want to kiss him again.

My lips burn.

Burn.

Like something set them on fire.

Like there was this part of life no one ever told me about and now I wanted nothing else.

A kiss.

I've heard about it.

I've read about it.

I never thought it felt this good.

I run back to the ball.

Gabriel was right, though.

Neither one of us can ever speak of this again.

-

--------

-

Gabriel

-

What a lovely night.

Yes, I have to go find a woman I don't care for and convince her father to let me marry her.

But if the night must end that bad, at least it began that well.

Lady Ada.

She acts, looks and sounds like a woman who already lost enough of her reputation that she doesn't much care for the part she has left. Why else would a woman that fair be walking around in the dark without an escort?

And the questions she was asking me...

God, how I would love to answer them.

Had I any money left I would have spent much more time with sweet Ada.

But I have no money and so this night is all about business and not enough about pleasure.

Maybe I can still pursue her after I'm married? I suppose it could be done.

But now it's time to make an entrance. And an entrance is exactly what I make.

12