Scandal Pt. 02

Story Info
The Duke of Grafton makes a plan to seduce a rich woman.
4.3k words
4.53
2.4k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gabriel Argyll, the Duke of Grafton

-

-

"Are you broke, Grafton?"

"Excuse me?"

The man in front of me is Lord John Halbrooke, second son to the Baron of Newcastle.

We've always disliked each other but I couldn't tell you why.

"Go get me a drink, will you, darling?" he smacks the waitress's bottom like he would a horse. There are two kinds of gentlemen's club: the kind where you smak a woman's bottom and the the kind where you don't.

Ludwig's (which is where we are right now) is a club of the second kind.

You'll find nothing but respectable men in here; drinking brandy, smoking cigars and talking about the future of England. This is where you come to have proper business with men who wouldn't be caught dead in places like The Purple Dwight... which is a club of a different kind, and where men like me and Halbrooke can often be found.

Not today.

Today I am trying to find good mister Spencer and make a good impression and Halbrooke, it seems, is conducting some of his father's business.

"I said are you broke?" he sits like he owns the place, the waitress and me.

That's why I dislike him.

Arrogant prick.

"Why would I be broke?"

"I can think of a few reasons. Mostly involving cards and women. Why else would you be so desperate to get married?"

"I didn't know I was desperate"

I am.

"Quite a few people heard you last night at the Dorchester's, professing your love for the richest heiress in the land. Convenient"

"It is passed the time I father children, Halbrooke. You are a second son, so you wouldn't understand the matters of upkeeping a legacy"

"And you were smitten by... Adelina Spencer?" he laughs, like the whole idea is but a crass joke.

"Is something the matter with miss Spencer?"

"No, no. She is quite proper. For merchants or... for second sons" he smirks. Don't tell me he also plans to court her "But doesn't seem right for a Duke to want a commoner to mother his children"

"I'm a modern man" that makes him laugh even harder.

"You? Don't jest, Grafton. I've known you for far too long. You are as elitist as they come. You care about nothing but bloodline. And yet, you mean to tell me you love her?"

"I mean to tell you nothing, Halbrooke. I was enjoying my afternoon quite well before your interference"

"No need to be coy. You want her money. Don't we all?" he is a slimey fellow with a slimey look and slimey eyes, why ladies seem to find him handsome is something beyond me.

"You plan on courting miss Spencer?" I try not to sound troubled.

"And I shall do better than you, from what I've heard"

"I highly doubt it" I growl.

I did kiss her. Has he?

But I suppose she does hate me. Maybe she hates him as well.

"My father has business with her father".

"I didn't know business was the way to a woman's heart"

"It is a way to achieve a wife, the heart is of little importance"

"Well, good luck" I say, but my day has suddenly turned sour. Mister Spencer did not come to the club today and I just wasted the better part of an afternoon when I could have been... I don't know. Doing something.

"Her father has allowed some gentlemen to call on her tomorrow morning, at ten. I take it I shall see you at his house then? Or do you fear he might know you to be broke if you call upon her too soon?" he laughs.

This will not do.

Ada may not like me, but Halbrook is right: what she likes will be of little importance if her father chooses me.

I am a Duke.

Spencer wants a title for his daughter.

The only thing that might sour my plans (apart from her hating me, which can be easily fixed) is the father finding out my true motives.

He cannot know I am broke.

And a rumour is all it would take.

"You still think me broke?" I clear my throat "How about we make a bet? We'll both court miss Adelina and whoever she favours shall be the winner"

"And if she favours neither of us?"

"Then we shall donate the money to a worthy cause. Orphans, perhaps. What say you?"

"It would have to be an impressive amount, Grafton, to convince me you're not broke"

"Would 500 do? Or perhaps that more than the second son of a Baron could do without?" I bluff, fully expecting he'll back of. While that amount may be less than my family would make in a year during it's prime, I know it to be less than what his father owns.

"Well, I have no intentions of losing. So 500 will do just fine" the slimey bastard says without a moment of hesitation.

He bids me farewell and on he goes to conduct his business.

And me?

Well, yesterday I had to marry Adelina Spencer.

Now, I really have to marry her.

-

---------

-

That slimey fucker.

You will forgive my english, but he lied to me.

Remember when he said Mr Spencer had allowed his daughter to be called upon at their house? Well, I arrive early at Lester House (which is where the Spencers have taken residence) to find them gone. Off to the park for a morning walk, where gentlemen are sure to be allowed to escort Adelina under her father's supervision.

The park is thirty minutes away from their house.

I am going to be fashionably late. Again.

Halbrook set me up.

He sent me off to the wrong place intentionally, so by the time I get there, there will be a line of lords already waiting for the girl.

He wasn't counting on me being so early. I check my pocket watch. If I hurry, I might still get there before any others.

I walked to the Spencer's, but I can't run to the park. So I ask for a cabriolet and offer the lad an extra penny if he takes me there faster. I fear for my slim wallet for one second before I have to fear for my life, you see... the lad in charge of the horse really wants that extra penny. So he is rushing us like he does not care about dying or killing.

I get out of the damn thing breathing heavy and pay him his much deserved penny.

Many lords and ladies are strolling by the fountains near the lake and it takes me very little time to find Miss Adelina and her father, still alone.

I approach them quickly, while still pretending to be there by chance.

"Mr Spencer, Miss Adelina. I hope you are both having a fine morning."

"Your Grace!" the father is always pleased to see me. The same cannot be said about the daughter.

Peter be damned, Adelina Spencer is a beauty.

I have no idea how he decided she was plain looking. Well, I suppose she is not the fairest lady in all the lands, but her eyes.

She has the most piercing eyes and, even when we met in the dark I felt like as soon as I saw them, I couldn't look away.

She is looking rather uncomfortable in the pretty dress she is wearing and, oh, how I would love to help her get out of it. Marrying you would be most rewarding, Miss Ada, in so many ways.

I remember the taste of her lips.

I don't think I will ever be able to forget it.

I'll taste them again soon enough.

"Well, if I could be so bold" I bow modestly "I was hoping I could accompany Miss Adelina, with your permission."

Her face lights up in the most beautiful smile.

I guess she also keenly remembers the taste of my lips.

I am about to offer her my arm and my most seductive smile when I realise her happiness is not my doing.

Her smile was not caused by my company.

Her face is lighting up despite my being there.

"John!" she smiles greatly "So good seeing you here."

"Adelina!" her father scolds her "Where are you manners!"

"Forgive me, father. Forgive me... Lord Halbrook" she bows as he bows, taking her hand.

"I will have none of it, Miss Spencer. You are most welcome to call me John."

What in the fresh hell...?

I look from Adelina and her father to Halbrook and back.

He only just arrived with his slimey looks and slimey hands and yet they seem like old acquaintances.

Because they probably are.

He's been courting her. Probably since before her debut. Not properly and officially, but slimey men always have their slimey ways.

I've been fooled.

And now not only am I broke, but also in debt for 500 pounds.

I will have to leave the country.

I will have to run away like a common criminal.

Either that... or marry this damned woman.

I have to play dirty. Just like he is.

"I'm sorry, Lord Halbrook" Mr Spencer denies him "But His Grace was here first, and I just allowed him to escort Ada. Perhaps you can escort her another time."

"But father! I've barely spoken to John since..."

"ADELINA!"

"It matters not, my dearest" Halbrook takes her hand.

My dearest?

Oh, I am going to play dirty.

I am going to play so very dirty, this little slimey fucker will never know what hit him.

"I will wait until you are done with your walk, so I can escort you myself" he says, gallantly "I will wait all day and all night if need be"

"Then that is what you will do" I growl "for I intend to keep her company for quite a while" I take her hand from his and she comes with me so reluctantly that we are drawing attention.

"Come, Miss Ada."

"I never said you could call me that" she snarks.

"Oh, but you did. When we first met" I clench my teeth, whispering just to her "Have you forgotten? Perhaps I should refreshen your memory."

"I'd rather you didn't, milord. That was a hideous moment, I'd prefer to never think of it again."

Remember when I said she was a beauty?

I take that back.

Vile woman.

Matters not. She shall marry me all the same.

"Hm" I try to smile, but there is so much anger in my face I don't know how well I succeeded.

She takes my arm, and her father gives us so much space it's like he wouldn't oppose to us marrying right there and then. Bless you, Mr Spencer, you are my only friend in this world.

"You are here rather early. What happened to making an entrance?"

"My heart was aching for you far too much. I had to see you immediately."

"Of course. Are you still insisting on that? That you are smitten by me?"

"Is that so hard to believe?" I lean in to her "I did kiss you before I even knew who you were. You cannot say my interest is fake."

"Everything about you is fake, my lord. You even rehearse your very name."

I take a deep breath.

Gabriel, you need a plan.

Faking true love will not work with this one.

The father is already sold, but I need the daughter to accept me before Halbrook can interfere much more.

Make her respect you.

But how?

"Scones? For two shillings? Scones, m'lord?" a boy offers us and... I have an idea.

"Would you like a scone?" I ask her as the boy is walking away.

"No, I am quite f..."

"I'll get one for you" I decide, leaving her alone and shocked at my rudeness "Boy, come here."

"A scone, sir?"

"Yes" I almost kneel so we can talk in private "Tell me... would you like to make a pence?"

"The scones are only two pence, sir."

"Can you swim?" I ask, hastily.

"Swim, sir?" he looks puzzled.

"We don't have a lot of time. I need you to do something and, if you do it, I'll give you a shilling. What say you?"

He can't be more than eleven years old, but street children have a savvy about them that rich children do not. He raises an eyebrow like a tiny business man and says:

"Make it two shillings and you have a deal."

"Aye, you little bastard, you" I mutter to myself "Fine, two pence. Can you swim?"

"For two shillings, m'lord, I'd learn."

"Is that a yes?"

"Yes, I can swim."

"Wonderful. Do you see that lady behind me? With the green dress and the beautiful eyes? I'm taking her around the lake, when we come near here again, I want you to fall into the lake. Pretend to trip right in front of us. Then, you'll pretend to drown and I will save you. Do you understand?"

"You want to impress the fancy lady by saving a poor boy's life. I understand."

"Glorious."

"You pay one shilling now and the other after."

"Excuse me?" I growl.

"Or no deal, sir."

"You little..." I reach into my pouch and give him a pence.

"And we've been talking for a while, you should buy a scone to avoid suspicions" he waves his little hand at Ada.

"If you had birth, you'd rule over us all" I mumble "Give me a scone then"

He gives it to me and as I am walking away the little greedy bastard goes:

"That will be two pence, sir."

"Two pen... I just gave you a shilling!"

"That was for a different service, sir" he raises his little hand expecting to be paid.

"You better make that drowning look good" I pay him for the scone.

"You yourself will be fooled" he promises.

I get the damn scone and try my best to put out a smile before getting back to my beloved.

"Here" I give her the scone.

"I don't want it."

"I got it for you."

"After I said I didn't want it."

"Would it kill you to accept the kindness?"

"Would it kill you to respect my requests?"

This damn woman

"Fine!" I bite on the thing like a beast "I will eat it them" I mumble with my mouth half filled.

"You are rude."

"Only when you are annoying."

"Then I must be annoying a lot."

"Your words, not mine..." I widen my eyes and I can tell by her face she is now hating me a little more than two minutes ago.

This drowning plan better work wonderfully well, or I will have to flee from England.

We walk in silence for a few minutes, her father keeps stopping for quick chats with lords and ladies and I can tell he is doing it on purpose to give us more privacy. He wants this match almost as badly as me.

He is hoping we will talk and fall in love.

But I am afraid Adelina will kill me long before then.

I eat the scone.

She no longer takes my arm.

"I can't believe they called you gallant."

"Who did?"

"The ladies, at the Dorchester's ball the other night. They were all swooning" she makes the word sound ridiculous "over the return of gallant Lord Grafton. Half the single ladies were hoping for a dance and the other half was licking their wounds over not being high born enough to draw your eye"

"And which half were you included in?"

"Neither. I am not impressed by the likes of you."

"You are not impressed by my name. When it was just me, in the dark, you were impressed plenty"

"You're being rude again."

"You're being annoying again."

"Is that how you get women to want you? You either impress them with your titles or irritate them with your manners?"

"It worked on you."

"Barely. I suppose that's why you have to be a libertine."

"Did you finally find out what the word means or are you just aimlessly trying to insult me?"

She opens her mouth.

No words come out despite her looking enraged.

She closes her mouth.

"I see" is all I say, gleefully eating my scone.

"I am not going to marry you" she blurts out.

"We'll see about that."'

"Father won't force me, if that is your hope"

"No, my hope is that you will fall desperately in love with me and will no longer be able to live without my touch and kisses"

"Oh, please" she rolls her eyes and... she looks ever so adorable. I chuckle.

Peter was absolutely mistaken.

She is not plain looking.

Nothing plain about her at all.

"Would you like to know a secret, Miss Ada?"

"From you? No, thank you."

"Well, I'll tell you all the same: love is very different from passion" I pretend there is something in her hair so I can lightly touch a strand of it. I watch as Ada's body goes stiff and tense. Unable to breath normally because of my touch "Love is something you can learn. Something that can grow as a couple spends their life together. Passion is very different" I whisper. One quick look around and I see her father very far away. There are people in the park around us, of course. But between the flowers, the bushes and the pathways there is a modest amount of privacy. Which is why I feel brave enough to lean in so close I can smell her perfume almost right off her skin "You can't fake passion. You can't learn it or grow it. You either have it or you don't. You should pick a man you are passionate about. You'll learn to love him and he'll become a husband. Pick a man you love but feel no passion for... and you'll have yourself a nice little friend. It's not the same"

"And how does one find passion?" she gulps ever so discreetly.

I smile.

"Need you really ask me that question?" my voice is so low I think she feels my breath more than hears my words "Passion, Miss Ada, is when a man can make you forget how to breath, just by being this close" I stroke a strand of her hair, watching her cheeks go red. She can't breathe. I know she can't. Her chest barely moves. "So, tell me... does lord Halbrook make you forget how to breathe?"

Her body is betraying her.

She has a hand on my arm and her eyes on my lips. Like she is wishing we could kiss again. Funny... I wish for the same thing.

Alone, in that garden.

Had I known, I would have kept her there longer. I would have kissed her better.

"But passion fades" her voice is hoarse and weak "Passion quickly fades. And I disagree with you... sometimes love cannot be learnt. I'd rather the certainty of a good friend, than the risk of a mediocre husband."

I let my finger slide from the strand of her hair, falling into her face in a caress so gentle and so light that we are the only two people in the world to know it ever existed.

"How sad for you" I whisper.

"I'll be quite fine, Your Grace" she turns, walking away, and I notice I haven't been breathing either.

I pick up my pace to follow her.

"You are wasting your time, Your Grace" she sounds exhausted, but I do notice she isn't looking me in the eyes anymore. She is afraid her body will betray her again "Me and Lord Halbrook are a good match. We have so much in common... we like the same books, the same music... You'd do well to court another"

"What if I really am in love and want only you?"

"Then I'd have to call you a liar."

"I've been called worse."

"Is this a game to you?"

"Why? Are you having fun?"

"Do you know how to answer questions?"

"Would you like me better if I did? Because I can learn"

She has a cute little smirk.

"I do not find your vagueness entertaining."

"And yet you smile."

"You are impossible."

"And a liar. Or so I'm told."

Her smirk becomes a quiet little laugh that she does her best to hide.

"Would you let me court you?" I tease.

"Your Grace..."

"You don't have to marry me" I remind her "But you don't need to decide right now that you won't, either. Let me visit you. Let us get to know each other. Then you can decide. Doesn't that sound reasonable?"

"If you are counting on me giving in to passion, know that I won't."

"Oh my, Miss Ada, are you telling me you feel passionate towards me?"

"I... I said no such thing" she blushes violently "You... you are horrible! Will you keep this up if I let you court me? Being rude and irritating me on purpose?"

"If you allow me to court you I will do my best not to cross you."

"I doubt your best will be enough."

"Does this mean you'll allow me to come see you?"

She gulps again.

Looking around like she is hoping her father will come save her with answers. But her father, bless him, is nowhere to be found and, even if he was, I believe he would take my side.

"If you behave. Yes. I will see you."

"Then I shall behave" I kiss her hand and I could swear I heard her moan.

I managed to turn this around quite well.

Now I just need her to believe in passion a little more.

"Do you think about it still?" I ask, low and hungry.

"About?" she asks, but I can tell by the look on her face she already knows the answer.

"The kiss."

"W-which kiss?"

I smile.

"Ours. Do you think about it?"

"No" she lies.

"I envy you. I can think of little else."

"My lord..."

"Your lips on my lips...." I whisper and she leans in. She leans in. Not me. Her hand is on my arm again, not like she is looking for an escort, but like she is looking for help as not to fall down "God, I remember what you taste like..."

12