Scavenger Hunt Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Carl Rojas picked up his mail at a pub, too." I said, almost absentmindedly.

Penny went on as if I'd said nothing: "And now for the anomaly. Right after getting that Tuesday night text, Della Deems's regular cellphone received a phone call from 'SHWhiskey2', which may have been her own White Team burner. It lasted two minutes. I asked for metadata on Deems's regular phone, and on Wednesday morning from 12:30am to 12:55 am, it traveled up here from Coltrane County to a location north of the 'Jasmine' Club, where the Warehouse District starts to become the Tenderloin District. At 1:10am the signal went off, and has not been found again."

I said "She may have had a premonition that she and her team were about to die, so she took that phone on purpose to leave a trail for us to find."

"Or maybe she just made a stupid mistake." replied Jack Muscone. "Where was that location?"

Penny Scott brought up the location on a map. "There are three buildings from which this phone could have pinged. One is the Amazon.com distribution center, and it is always busy, 24/7. The second is a warehouse used by a nearby garment factory. It's closed at night, but is usually open and busy during the day."

Penny: "Then there's the third building. It has multiple garage door bays, and was once an auto repair shop, but that went broke over a year ago, and the building has been unoccupied ever since. There are other rooms in the building, offices and storage rooms."

"Is there any camera coverage of them from the street?" Claire Michaels asked.

"Plenty on the Amazon building, and a little bit on the garment warehouse. But virtually none on the third building. Also, I checked on who owns the building now, and we had to dig through some hoops of secret trusts, but we finally got to 'TechnoDynamics Trust'. And the names of its Officers include Matthew Willis, Jeff Woolsey, and Brendan Chapel."

"That's it, then!" exclaimed Jack Muscone as he went for his cellphone. "That must be the location. I'll call for a Federal warrant to raid the place---"

"Hold on a second." I said. "Let's talk about this before we do anything rash. This could be a huge opportunity to take advantage of, and maybe capture the fourth cell of this gang, and ultimately their liaisons and leadership."

"And why do you think there's another gang out there?" asked Muscone derisively.

"Isn't it obvious?" I fired back. "Who do you think 'SHAlpha' 1 through 4 is? Feng Xingshi is likely a part of it, and they're the most dangerous group of them all, right now. And when they come back for---"

"They're not going to come back, sir!" Claire Michaels said loudly. "We've busted two of their gangs, and the third was killed off! If anything, they're going to shut down and disappear, and we need to hit this location and find out what we can if we're going to get them!"

"My God." I muttered, then said more loudly: "If they've gone into the wind, then we're not going to catch them, anyway. They're that good, and that careful. I say let's put surveillance on the place, keep monitoring for phone signatures while I figure out who else is in Feng Xingshi's gang. We can hit them when they come back, or in 48 hours, whichever comes first. It won't hurt to wait."

"I disagree." said Jack Muscone.

"Me, too." Claire Michaels said. "Lorena, what do you think?"

Lorena said "I think you should not be putting me on the spot like this, Claire. And I think it's folly to go against the Iron Crowbar."

"That's not what I wanted to hear, Ms. Rose." Jack Muscone said.

"Would you prefer I lie to you, Mr. Muscone?" Lorena fired back, totally unafraid.

"What about you, Dwight?" Muscone asked very loudly.

Dwight Stevens looked very uncomfortable. He said "I understand what Commander Troy wants to do, but I agree that this location is blown and the perps know it. And if there's something in there that will lead us to other drugs or things in Southport, we should move to obtain that information as fast as possible."

Claire Michaels said "And let's not forget what led us to this location... one of the four members of the White Team brought her active phone with her to the location. If that team was murdered in there, we need to move very fast to get that evidence."

I said "They were killed here, and their dead bodies taken all the way to the other corner of the State? That doesn't jibe with their autopsies, at all. They were alive all of Wednesday, and it would be a hell of a lot easier to take living people all the way down to Donnan County than to transport and manhandle the dead weight of their bodies, pun fully intended."

"Steve, what do you think?" Muscone asked Special Agent Steven Gable.

"What is the building constructed of?" Gable replied. "If it's made of concrete, I don't think 24 hours will matter. But if it's made of flammable materials, then someone could set fire to it in the night and destroy it and all of its contents."

"What is the building made of?" Claire Michaels asked.

"Concrete." blurted out 'Ice Cube' Perry. All eyes snapped onto him.

"How do you know, Detective Perry?" Claire Michaels asked. "Was that what your C.I. told you? Was the call over which you embarrassed me by being late about this building?"

"Well, 'Ice Cube'?" asked Chief Moynahan. Perry's face was a mixture of shame and guilt as he looked over at me.

Claire Michaels's voice was harsh as she said "The Police Chief just asked you a question, Detective Perry. Answer it, right now!"

I nodded to 'Ice Cube', who said "Yes, Chief, the call from my C.I. was about that building. The legit auto repair shop closed a year or so ago, but the building has been in use since last Spring. No cars are ever parked outside; they all drive inside."

Dwight Stevens said "Did your C.I. know if drugs were being run through that place?"

Lorena Rose asked "Could it be a chop shop?"

'Ice Cube': "I don't think so, ma'am. The Teacher's people run a shop that refurbishes stolen cars and sells them for cash, and they would not like that competition. And I've never heard from any C.I. that drugs were coming into or out of that area. The Amazon.com people don't like that stuff around their places. They'd have told the Police by now if any of that was going on."

"That's enough for me." Jack Muscone said. " Chief, do you want to get local warrants and join us, or should I get a local one, too?---"

"HOLD ON!" I yelled, feeling the heat on my face, which I am sure was beet red. "Chief! Don't do this! Give us a chance to finish this off and get the last of the gangs!"

"It's a moot point." Jack Muscone said, standing up. "I'm getting the warrants, and I'm raiding the place. Chief, do you want to send Officers to work with us? Or shall we go it alone, Federal all the way?"

"Noooo, you will work with us, not the other way a-rounnnd." said Chief Moynahan. "Captain Michaels, get the local warrants while Muscone gets Federal warrants, and assign Detectives to participate in the raid. Commander Croyle, call 2nd Precinct and have them send a contingent to assist and pro-tect themmmm."

Teresa looked at me, and I knew that she would tell the Chief to go to hell if I wanted her to. Instead I said in a low voice "Do it. They'll pay later." Teresa nodded, and got out her Police iPhone.

"All you Federal Agents, come with me." Muscone said. They all got out up and filed out as Muscone held the door. As he was turning to leave, he said "Truth be told, Mr. Crowbar... I do not need you to make this raid happen and shut this gang down."

"The hell you don't." I said, but Muscone was already walking out of the room.

"MCD and Vice Detectives, let's go." Claire Michaels said. They all followed her out. Most were stunned by what has just transpired.

In the ensuing silence of the remaining few in the room, I said "Lieutenant Purvis, Corporal Scott, were the addresses we had for the B-Team searched?"

"Yes sir." said Lieutenant Purvis. "When our Officers knocked on the doors, there were no answers, so they got warrants and went in. Our four B-Team members were the occupants, as fingerprints attested to. The apartments were lived-in but clean, and no computers were there. Only Xboxes."

Penny said "We ran the names that came out when we ran the addresses independently. They look like aliases or fake names: Dick Jones, Bob Morton, Alex Murphy, Anne Lewis. We'll keep looking for connections."

"I doubt you'll find any." I said. "Those names are characters from the original movie 'Robocop'. They're just being careful again."

I got up. "Excuse me, Chief. I'll go plan another long vacation. I'm obviously not needed here."

"We'll talk later." the Chief said. I did not reply as I exited the room, followed by the Iron Wolf.

As we went down the hallway, I said "If there's nothing else you really need to do, why don't you come with me?"

"Yes sir." Teresa said. "Where are we going?"

"University Hospital." I replied...

Part 12 - The Scavenger Hunt

(Author's note: Please review 'Beethoven Virus' for the Amelia Sedgwick story.)

10:45am, Tuesday, October 12th. Amelia Sedgwick was in her brother Bobby's hospital room. They were laughing at some shared joke as Teresa and I came into the room with Dr. Napp.

"Okay, I've got good news." Dr. Napp said. "You're just about fully recovered, Bobby. One final treatment tomorrow, then one more week of monitoring. And if things go as well as they are now, you'll be released. You'll still come in for tests every couple of weeks, but... what? What's wrong?"

Normally such news generated a lot of happiness, but Bobby's face fell, as did Amelia's. The monitor beeped as his heart rate and blood pressure went up.

Bobby said "I've got no place to go." He turned to his sister, his only family, and said "What are we going to do?"

"Relax, Bobby." I said. "We've got your back on this. My uncle, Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, just created a new home for child patients like you that are being released from the Hospital but need outpatient care for a while. You're going to be one of his first guests."

"But... but what about you, Amelia?" Bobby asked. "You won't be able to visit me anymore."

"Bobby," Teresa said, "this is the Iron Crowbar talking to you. We'll find a way for Amelia to visit you. So don't let it worry you and get you all sick again, okay?"

"Okay." said Bobby, trying to be brave and not worry.

"Let's step outside, so Bobby and Amelia can talk some more." I said. Dr. Napp followed us out of the room and into the hallway. Two TCSD Deputy Sheriffs were guarding the door; they had transported Amelia to the Hospital from the halfway-house prison where she was incarcerated.

I explained Amelia and Bobby's situations to Dr. Napp, that they had no other family, that Bobby had no place to go and might get swept into the hell of the DFACS foster care system, and he and his sister might never see each other again.

"I had not realized that." Dr. Napp said. "Bobby has always done especially well when his sister visits him. I thought he'd be released into her care."

Amelia came out of the room. "Commander, I appreciate all you've done for Bobby. But once he's released from the Hospital, I'm going to be transferred to prison. And the Feds went to Court to try to take custody of me and send me to Federal prison instead of Midvale or Sunnydale, in spite of the Federal plea agreement."

I said "I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, Amelia, you need to be very careful, and aware of your surroundings at all times." I also told the Deputies to keep their eyes peeled when they took Amelia back to her prison quarters...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Did I promise too much?" Teresa asked as we walked down the hallway.

"I appreciate your faith in me." I replied. "But it's going to be tough. Amelia was right, she can stay at the halfway house only while Bobby is an admitted patient at the Hospital. Once he's released, he's on his own, and Amelia will be transferred to Midvale at best. And the Swamp Frog Feds like Lindsey Black don't want her in Federal custody in order to help her in any way... and there's nothing I can do about that."

"You'll find a way." Teresa said. "Cindy was telling me about her father's new project. When Jimmy and his dog Billy Beagle went to stay with Dr. Eckhart, he couldn't stay long because 'The Vision' has older patients in drug rehab there." (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 02)

Teresa: "Jimmy and Billy Beagle were taken in by the Allgood family in Coltrane County. But his situation got Dr. Eckhart and Cindy to thinking. They had set up the Ruth Heidelmann Baker House for at-risk boys," (Author's note: 'Send In The Clowns', Ch. 04) "so they began setting up a facility on the property adjacent to hers, to be a recovery home for kids released from my programs in the Hospital but having no other place to go."

"Sounds good." I said. "And yet another good premonition by the Green Crowbar, I perceive."

"Not much gets past you, sir." Teresa said. Just then we saw my wife, Dr. Laura Fredricson, walking up to us, wearing her white doctor labcoat over her black-and-white paneled dress and black high heel pumps that made her legs look their most magnificent.

"I'll go check in with Seth." Teresa said, meaning Hospital Administrator Seth Warner, probably to discuss things pertaining to the Croyle Trust. Laura and I went to her small office in the Hospital.

"I just wanted to tell you that Keiko Shimono has agreed to talk to you." Laura said. "We can have her here tomorrow. But she has one demand... she wants a conjugal visit with you."

I rolled my eyes and said "What does my wife think of that? Especially after she tried to ship you to Beijing in a box." (Author's note: 'Long Cool Woman', Ch. 03)

Laura said "Oh, you know I'm a hubby-watcher, and I know you'd enjoy getting a really hot piece of Asian ass. And of course you'll get to make it up to me some way."

"You get a hot date with Donovan Wakefield?" I asked.

"Been there, done that." Laura said. "And your Police Force got that cellphone-cracking program for free out of it."

"Touché. I said. "I thought Melina had fucked his brains out in exchange for that. Well, I'm willing to take one for the Team and give Keiko what she wants, and whisper sweet nothings into her ear in exchange for hard somethings."

"And what somethings are you expecting to get?" Laura asked.

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened to reveal Teresa. "Ah, come in." I said. "I was just about to tell Laura what the Toyota Gang is all about, and I want you to hear it, also."

"I'd say 'it's about freeking time'," Teresa replied, "but I wouldn't want to be insubordinate like Captain Michaels was this morning."

"Yezzz." I said. "And she will get what's coming to her for that. Anyhoo, what I'm looking for out of Keiko is confirmation. I think you were right, Laura, about the White Team being trained to infiltrate companies and get industrial secrets, and I think they were assigned to BOW Enterprises specifically."

Me: "And before them came Keiko's team that helped commandeer that nuke that was used to try to blackmail BOW out of the Mutanix technology." (Author's note: 'The Nuclear Option') "If you think about it, there are real similarities to how that team operated, and what's going on today."

Me: "What we are seeing now is a new iteration of teams, and I think they are in competition with each other. I think the 'SH' in the various Toyota Gang cells's email and burner phone names stands for 'Scavenger Hunt'. Four teams, competing to complete criminal missions."

Me: "The various Toyota Gangs held up stores to take in a little money, but also to get practice planning and executing missions of those types. And they also do that to help their fellow teams commit other crimes, crimes that seem small and unimportant, but are leading to a larger goal, and maybe a big reward if they complete their big mission."

"Tell us more." Teresa 'suggested'.

Me: "Let's start with the Hispanic Team. They, or some of them, at least, were going to be rewarded with running a massive new drug pipeline for the Carlena Cartel. Michael Carlena was doing the Toyota Gang thing to show his grandfather and his Cartel masters that he was up to the job of leading and running such an operation."

Laura smiled and nodded, realizing I was on the right track. Teresa had shown no emotion, but was listening with great interest.

I continued: "I suspect Carl Rojas was going to get bigger and better pipelines of women for prostitution, and more opportunities with Organized Crime. But in the end, he's just a gangbanger. Peter Segui... he's more than any of that. His goal and destiny was to become one of the 'Big Boys'. I'll come back to that in a minute."

Me: "The Black Team's mission was the jewelry heist. They attempted it at the very first opportunity, after Smith-Morra got their shipments in. They were going to keep the $40,000 in cash as their 'finders fee', and their reward would be to be on the receiving end of the drug pipelines the Carlena Cartel is trying to set up, which would be worth millions to them, the Black Team."

Me: "Fred Spencer was tied to the low-level stuff typical of Organized Crime, not unlike Carl Rojas. And he'd be the guy selling product to the dime bag seller gangs, and to the University Fraternities for distribution on Campus. Roger Earnest and especially Dee Stubbs were looking for higher opportunities with the Big Boys, like Peter Segui was."

Me: "The White Team's mission was the nanotechnology. They were playing a double game with that, too. They complete the mission, both their Scavenger Hunt masters and the companies they've worked for, like BigCommo and MegaTech Industries, get the nanotechnology, and the Team gets a reward. I'm thinking that there is a lot of loose cash around from the Stubbs & Wheaton Venture Capital operations, and it would've ended up in their pockets when Stubbs & Wheaton was shut down."

Me: "Winston Reskind is the White Team's equivalent of Peter Segui and Dee Stubbs. They don't really have a Fred Spencer/Carl Rojas equivalent, unless Tom Allison is that, but they don't have a Dwayne Heywood/Maribel Isadora equivalent, either... unless Della Deems was that, and that's why she took her real phone to that auto body shop when she realized her team was about to be betrayed and killed."

Teresa said "Why didn't she just warn the others, and they all could've disappeared?"

Laura said "Because it was too late for that. Jack Muscone's FBI team was not the only team watching them."

I nodded, then said "And maybe she was being overly cautious, and it might've turned out not to be what she thought it would be... and what it ended up being. And I think they discovered the active phone on her, and she was gang-raped before she was murdered, in retribution for what was perceived as her treason."

Me: "Anyhoo, let's go totally granular on this. We've had some hints of Matthew Willis and Brendan Chapel being involved in some of this. Chapel was slapped back and forced to relinquish his position as the Director of National Intelligence, but he still is ambitious, and he still has an unquenchable avarice for money. Matthew Willis loves the hot technology that would give him dominance over America, if not the World."

Me: "I think Peter Segui, Dee Stubbs, Winston Reskind, and Feng Xingshi want to get in with these Swamp Frog Big Boys, and they are the true team here, like Keiko Shimono, Jerry Barsbane, Trent Ridge, and Paco were a while back. Again, I'm seeing similarities in organization in all this between the past groups and the present Toyota Gang."