Scheherazade and the King Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Realising Yanamari was no longer following her, Kolete retraced her steps and found Yanamari in the middle of a ruined room, her skin even paler than normal.

"Yanamari, what is it?" She asked. "You look as though you've seen a mamua."

"This was my bed. This was my room. Look —" she said, showing Kolete the carving.

Yanamari's eyes darted around the room. Flashes of a battle seemed to half emerge from the fog that obscured that part of her memory. She ran a finger along the pockmarked edge of the table. Perhaps she had sheltered behind it when the pirates stormed the castle. She walked to the window and looked out on the plains below. Perhaps she had caught a glimpse of a torch in the distance and thought nothing of the faint glimmer. Just a farmer wandering his fields. Not until the shouts came echoing from the causeway. Perhaps...

She felt her legs go weak underneath her and she sat down against the bed.

"Are you alright?" Kolete asked, kneeling beside her.

"I don't know," she murmured. "I wish I could remember."

Had this truly been her room? Or were these memories mere fantasies of a past she wished was hers?

The stone floor was cold against her legs and she stared down at the pavers, absentmindedly following the patterns in the floor. One piece of stone stood out to her slightly — its colour just a shade off from the rest. She furrowed her brow and leaned forward, feeling at the edges of the paver with her fingertips.

"What is it?" Kolete asked.

"This stone looks different than the rest."

She found a place to catch her grip and then wiggled the stone free. Below lay a child's treasure trove: a small dagger with a carved handle made of bone, a worn-out doll in the shape of a turtle, and a leather necklace bearing a solid gold coin marked with the kingdom's seal.

She pooled the items in her lap with reverence and stared down at them. She tested the blade of the knife against her thumb and smiled when it nipped at her skin.

Still sharp.

The turtle had clearly seen better days — its woven shell close to threadbare in some places — but that just made it all the more significant.

She held the necklace up and examined the crude craftsmanship. She might have made it herself for all she knew. She loosened the knots, pulled the necklace wide, and slipped it over her head. She tightened it around her neck and held her breath, half expecting all her lost memories to come rushing back the moment the seal touched her skin. When it did not, all she could do was feel the weight of the coin against her clavicle and roll the metal between her fingers.

"I think you remember more than you realise," Kolete said gently. "Come, we had better get back to the stronghold. There is something I have to show you."

Within a few moments they were deep in the belly of the castle once again, squeezing their way through the narrow passage until they could see the light of the fires glowing in the distance.

"What is it you have to show me?"

"Something that belongs to you," Kolete said. "It's time you had it."

"Why has Ekaitz allowed the castle to remain a ruin?" She asked as she followed the warrior.

Kolete shrugged: "It suits his purposes to perpetuate the myth of your treachery. A monument to the traitorous princess and a warning of what happens when women forget their place."

Yanamari fingered the coin at her neck: "Do you think he is afraid of it?"

Kolete cast a questioning glance over her shoulder.

"I only ask because I hear he is a superstitious man," she explained. "That he surrounds himself with protective talismans. Perhaps he fears the spirits that linger in the shadows of this place."

"Why do you wonder that?" Kolete asked.

"Because I wonder what he will do when he sees me," she said. "Perhaps he will be afraid."

"Oh, I am counting on it, printzesa," Kolete said with a grin.

All at once, Yanamari realised they were in a makeshift armoury. Kolete knelt in front of a heavy, wooden trunk and pulled it open to reveal a leather bundle bound with gold fastenings. Kolete handled the bundle with reverence and, when she undid the buckles and rolled open the leather, it was plain to see why, for there could be no doubt the sword inside once belonged to royalty.

Yanamari ran trembling fingers along the gilded hilt and etched blade. She could see it was as beautiful as it was deadly.

Kolete's voice came from over her shoulder: "It is your birthright, printzesa. This belonged to your father."

Yanamari's slender fingers wrapped around the sword's hilt and lifted it high. Despite its considerable length, the sword seemed light in her hands.

"How did you get this?" She asked breathlessly.

"One of our warriors, Itxaro, she used to be a servant in the palace and she saved it during the attack," she said.

"Then, she was there?"

Kolete nodded: "She proved a scullery maid could be just as skilled with a sword as a skillet."

"Where is she? Can I meet her?"

"I'm sorry, printzesa, she passed in a raid last year," Kolete said.

Yanamari looked crestfallen.

"What's wrong?"

"How do you know I'm the princess? What if I'm just another one of the pirate's conquests who happens to look like her?"

Kolete shook her head: "Your story fits, you remember this place, you can handle our weapons, you knew exactly where those childhood trinkets were hidden. These are not coincidences, these are memories."

"They do not feel that way. I keep thinking I will see something, taste something, touch something, and it will all come rushing back but it hasn't. Instead, all I get are these whispers, these feelings that something is familiar without knowing why."

The colour in Yanamari's tattoos faded slightly and she could feel the sword growing heavier in her hands. She placed the weapon back on the table carefully and leaned on her palms against the hard wood.

"Kolete, why did you join the Doan Jende?"

"Join it? I founded it," the warrior said, pride straightening her spine. Then, she shrugged: "It is a sad tale."

"You know mine. That's a pretty sad tale too."

Kolete sighed and crossed her arms: "What you went through at Zigor's hands... I did too. But by Ekaitz's soldiers. My own countrymen whom I thought my brothers."

She laughed bitterly and leaned her hip against the table: "How quickly they forgot their sisters when Ekaitz gave them but the slightest taste of power over us."

Yanamari set her jaw: "He will be made to pay for what he has done."

"That's the only thing that gets me through the night," Kolete said grimly. "Though I do hope it's in this life rather than the next. I want to watch as he gets what's owed to him."

"I wish I could think that," Yanamari said. "But these tattoos won't let me hate him."

"Then you must hate what he has done."

Yanamari shook her head: "I can't do that either. I have to fight out of love."

"Out of love?" Kolete scoffed. "That is just the kind of curse they would lay on a woman. Have you ever heard of a man who fought out of love?"

Yanamari's chest swelled slightly, heartbreak clashing with pride: "Just one."

Kolete sighed and unfolded her arms, mirroring Yanamari's stance on the other side of the table.

"What was your plan, printzesa?" she said after a beat. "Are the Persians on their way?"

"I am not sure," she admitted. "There is the chance they were also caught in the storm. There is the chance they heard of the wreck and assumed Cas and I were lost. There is also the chance they could be anchored off Irlazken right now."

"Can they help us?"

"I hope so."

"As do I," Kolete said, pushing herself upright. "Are you ready to get back?"

Yanamari nodded and stepped back from the table: "Shall we put this back?"

"That sword belongs to the Princess Yanamari and should be at her side, not in a box," Kolete said, her words a dare.

Yanamari's lips twitched in a brief smile. She picked up the belt and looped it around her waist, feeling the weapon's weight settle against her side. A flicker of blue flashed up her arms and Kolete smirked.

"After you, your highness," she said, gesturing with a sweep of her hand.

As the pair walked back towards the main cavern of the stronghold, Yanamari's mind went back to the Persians.

"If Shariyar's ship did make it, how would we find out?"

"If there is a Persian ship in Irlazken, we will know soon enough. We have eyes and ears across the kingdom," Kolete said. "But, in the meantime, we cannot sit here and wait. It will not take word long to reach Ekaitz and he will know we have you. If he wanted to destroy us before, he will stop at nothing to wipe us off the face of the earth once he finds out."

"Then I have put you all in danger," Yanamari muttered sadly as they returned to their seats around the fireplace. She pulled the sword from its scabbard and rested it on her lap, staring at the flames reflected in the glinting blade.

"It's not your fault," Arossa chimed in. "We were the ones who kidnapped you."

"True," Yanamari said with a chuckle.

The fire crackled loudly, spitting embers into the air.

"Right now, the only people who know who I am and that I'm alive are those of us in this room and Ekaitz," Yanamari said, thinking aloud as she watched the glowing sparks fade overhead. "If Ekaitz finds us, then I will disappear into a ditch or a pyre and no one will be any the wiser."

"That's why you cannot stay here," Kolete said. "If we can keep your identity a secret, you can hide in plain sight."

"His spies are everywhere," Arossa cautioned. "The safest place for her is here, where we can defend her."

"What if —" Yanamari started and then paused, eyeing the women carefully. "What if, instead of hiding, we announced my presence?"

The furrows that marked Arossa's brow deepened: "And make ourselves sitting ducks?"

"If the Irlazken people know who I am and that I am here then, when I surrender, he will not be able to make me disappear so easily."

"Surrender?" Kolete's eyes sparked furiously and a chorus of protest erupted from the warriors listening on.

"Hear me out, please!" Yanamari said, rising to her feet. "If I surrender to him publicly — when all the eyes of the kingdom are watching — then he will be forced to go through the motions of a trial."

"A trial?" Kolete scoffed. "If there is one it will be a farce and he will kill you anyway."

"This buys us time," Yanamari pressed. "Time for you to get word to Shariyar and Shahzaman, and rally the people to your cause."

Except for the hiss of the fire, the chamber was silent.

Finally, Arrosa broke the quiet: "It will be the udaberriko jaialdia in two days."

Kolete tapped a finger against her chin and nodded: "The whole kingdom will be travelling to the capital for the spring festival."

She sighed and threw her hands in the air: "You're right, printzesa, it is not a good plan but it's the only one we have with any promise."

"But, for it to work, we would need to spread the news of my return. Quickly. Can you do that?" Yanamari asked.

Kolete glanced at Arossa and then smiled, a brash grin spreading her lips: "Can a bunch of women spread a rumour?"

"Like wildfire," Arossa answered.

++++++++

Cas woke up with a groan and pressed his hand to his pounding head: "Fucking hell."

His voice was barely more than a croak but it brought footsteps to his bedside within an instant.

"Cas? Don't try to sit up, I'll get Hazim," Jafar's voice came from above.

The soldier opened his eyes and the room swam around him for a few moments before settling into place.

Hazim entered the room a few seconds later, Jafar and Shahzaman at his heels, and Cas grinned at him ruefully: "Remind me not to drown again. It's not as fun as it sounds."

"Wouldn't do you any good. You've never listened to a warning before."

"True enough."

"Is he awake?" Came a brusque voice from behind the group of men.

Cas' smile faded instantly at the sound of Shariyar's voice.

"Yes, he's awake," Hazim said calmly. "But he still needs rest. Everyone who is not a doctor, please leave the room."

Hazim did not look over his shoulder as the three men begrudgingly filtered outside, continuing to fuss with his bag of potions and tinctures until he heard the door close.

"Better?" He asked, looking down his nose at Cas.

"Yes, thank you," he murmured. "I can't stand that son of a bitch."

"It's treasonous to describe Queen Aliya that way."

"Good thing I'm already exiled then."

"Shut your mouth a moment so I can listen to those lungs of yours," Hazim said, placing an ear trumpet against the soldier's chest as he breathed in and out.

Once he was satisfied that Cas' lungs were clear, he dug out several medicinal tonics from his supplies to restore the soldier's strength and stamina.

"It will feel good to feel like myself again," Cas said, swallowing the first mixture. "I thought some rest would do me good but I feel as weak as ever."

"Well you've been fighting a fever the past three days," Hazim said. "It's a miracle you have what energy you do."

"Three days?" Cas sputtered and pushed himself upright.

It was an instinctive reaction that his body immediately punished him for with a swirl of stars that clouded his vision and turned his stomach. Hazim placed his hands gently but firmly on the soldier's shoulders and pushed him back towards the pillows.

"Now let that be a lesson not to try doing that again until I tell you you're strong enough to do so," Hazim admonished. "You're lucky to be alive, my boy, but you're not in the clear just yet. I'll do my part if you can do yours."

Cas closed his eyes and let his body relax into the pillows: "I'll try. If you can keep that man away from me."

"That man?"

"You know exactly who I'm talking about."

"Your brother has forgiven Shariyar," Hazim said gently.

Cas scoffed: "No he hasn't. He might be acting civil but there is no way he has forgiven Shariyar completely. I don't know if he ever will. I am certain I won't. What he did to Shahzaman, to Yanamari... there is no way I will ever be able to forgive him."

"Holding on to this resentment will do you no good. You must try to let it go."

Cas shrugged as Hazim packed up his bag. He made to leave the room but Shahzaman was waiting at the door.

"We have news," he said, stepping inside.

"About Yanamari?" Cas asked, immediately trying to push himself upright again.

"What news?" Hazim asked, a firm hand holding the struggling soldier down.

"I don't know how to explain it," Shahzaman said. "When we arrived, not a soul seemed to even know the name 'Yanamari', and now, all of a sudden, the whole fucking wharf is buzzing that the lost princess has returned, is leading the Doan Jende and is planning to launch an attack on the castle during the spring festival."

"What?" The exclamation came in unison from both men.

"I can't understand it!" Shahzaman said, sitting down at the desk. "The rumour has spread like wildfire."

He paused and looked at Cas: "Do you think it's true?"

"We know she's alive and that the Doan Jende were the ones who attacked the caravan. If they are convinced that she's who we believe her to be, why not?"

"Is she capable of leading such an attack?"

Cas smiled slightly, remembering the way Yanamari had fought in the belly of the ship. But his smile faded instantly the moment Shariyar entered the room.

"She is a capable fighter," he said stiffly, his dark eyes fixed on the king. "And the fact that she has survived this long is testament to her strength. Ekaiz won't be the first mad man she has faced."

Shariyar threw him a scowling glance and folded his arms.

"But even if she is, even if the Doan Jende somehow have a force that powerful — which I seriously doubt — why the hell would they tell the whole kingdom?" Shahzaman asked, ignoring the pointed exchange between his best friend and his brother. "They've put Ekaitz on guard. He will have his entire army at the ready."

The cabin swayed silently.

"Can we make it to their stronghold in time?" Shahzaman asked Cas.

"It is a day's journey at least. When is the spring festival?"

"Two days from now."

"Then they will be gone before we can reach them," Cas sighed.

"I just wish I understood their plan," Shahzaman said, cracking his tattooed knuckles in frustration. "What on earth do they have to gain from announcing their plan to the world?"

Suddenly Kuiril's voice sounded from the door: "I think I might have someone here who can answer that question."

All eyes were suddenly on the aged advisor as he stepped into the room and gestured for a short, stony-faced blonde to follow him inside.

"Gentlemen, may I introduce my granddaughter, Arossa," he said, the smile on his face radiating pride. "As second in command with the Doan Jende, I think she might have just the information you seek."

For a moment, a pin drop would have been easily heard in the cabin and then, all at once, each man erupted in a stream of questions.

Arossa threw up her hands to silence them: "I will answer your questions in due time. But first you must listen to me."

"Please, I must know, is she alright?" Cas asked earnestly, taking advantage of the quiet that followed.

The blonde turned to look at the bed-ridden soldier and cocked her head: "Ah, you must be Cas."

Then, her mouth softened and she nodded: "The printzesa is fine. She and the rest of our army are travelling in disguise to the capital for the spring festival."

"Then it's true?" Shahzaman interjected. "You intend to attack the palace?"

"Not exactly," Arossa said. "But I am glad I found you. When our spies came back this morning with word of a Persian ship, I did not think it could possibly be yours. We will need your help."

"We don't have enough men to help you attack Ekaitz," Shahzaman warned.

"We aren't going to attack the palace," Arossa said. "But our plan is to give the people of Irlazken a reason to."

"How do you intend to do that?" the prince asked.

"By surrendering."

++++++++

Yanamari pulled her cloak around her tightly. The darkening sky had brought with it a wicked chill. Moonrise was behind them but Yanamari could not keep herself from glancing back every now and then to watch the brilliant yellow orb climb into the sky. She could not remember ever seeing the moon so beautiful in her life.

Kolete watched her steal another glance at the moon and laughed: "You're bewitched, printzesa!"

"The moon sorgina has me firmly in her clutches," Yanamari agreed, turning back to face the road ahead.

"The first full moon of spring is called the 'Resurrection Moon'," Kolete said. "Fitting, no?"

Their caravan had joined with several others on the road and their party blended in seamlessly with the trail of lantern-lit carriages. Soon they would be at Artzabestua, the last gathering spot before they made the final journey into the citadel in the morning.

The Doan Jende had been true to their word: the rumour of Yanamari's return had been like a bolt of lightning across the country, sending new energy crackling through the beleaguered Irlazkens.

The road twisted upwards over another hill and then opened up onto a grassy valley that stretched below them for miles.

Yanamari gasped: In the centre of the valley, a city of tents and caravans had sprung up. All around the makeshift encampment, a dozen roads converged, each marked by a steady procession of winking lights.

"It's beautiful," she breathed. And then, so quiet Kolete almost did not catch it: "I always wanted to see it."

Kolete glanced at her sharply.

"I would always try to watch from the tallest tower but even from there you couldn't see the valley, just the glow of the lights. Sometimes, when the wind was just right, you could catch strains of music and singing."