Schoolhouse Rock Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I was surprised that they talked about past Mob operations in front of me, and so openly and candidly." said Muscone. I nodded in agreement, then Jack said: "So... what do you think of these incidents involving Woodburn?"

"As soon as Detective Davis here and his fellow Detectives tell me who set the fire at Woodburn's home," I said, "I'll tell you what it's all about."

"Speaking of that, sir," said Jerome, "I'll go get right on it, if you'll excuse me."

"Sure, and thanks for going down to Midtown with me." I said.

"Hey, free roller-coaster ride in the helicopter." Jerome said with a grin. "Can't beat that with a barf bag." Jerome was teasing the ol' Police Commander, I realized. A red crowbar was waved in the door's general direction, and Jerome got the hint and used it (the door) to leave the room.

"Just between us, Jack," I said after turning on my bug-killer, "I have no data, but I think these are separate-but-equal incidents, both inspired as revenge for Katherine calling DFACS to take Betsy away from Cindy. Up here... you'll never prove it, but I'll just say it's the Code of Hammurabi: an eye for an eye. Down in Midtown?" I just shrugged. I really didn't have a clue what that was about.

"By the way," Jack said, "why did you introduce me to 'Coffin' Cerone? I'm not sure that's going to be good for me in the FBI."

"It will be fine." I said. "Cerone is who he is, but he and I both know what the Game is all about. And one day, his fondness for you as my friend... may save your life."

"You really don't play by the normal rules, do you?" Muscone asked, and I could not tell if he meant it humorously or not. Either way, I just smiled and held up the red crowbar...

Part 30 - Orange Thursday

Thursday, January 31st. After watching the various news reports, which told us nothing of value, I began the Angels meeting with Tanya and Teresa. Cindy had not come in, and I had not asked about it, what with the Promotions and Medals Day the next day.

"Okay, what's new?" I asked.

"I'll go first." said Teresa. "I've asked 1st Precinct to schedule more patrols through the Heritage Cloisters subdivision. With all the legal problems with the HOA, residents have been noticing more teenagers being out late, hanging out in groups, and such, and we're seeing some vandalism issues."

"Where do you guys stand on the legal situation?" I asked.

"Mike Todd filed a petition with the Magistrate Court for us." Teresa said. "He was hoping to get a quick and simple ruling so we could at least hire a Manager to run the essential services while we unwind the rest of the mess. But somehow Bradshaw found out about it and instructed the HOA Board's attorney to fight the petition. So it got kicked up to Superior Court, and guess who Folsom assigned it to?"

"Nance?" I asked.

Teresa nodded. "Yes, and Nance granted the HOA's attorney a continuance of three months to 'prepare' for the hearing, and also to see if Bradshaw and Martin's cases are resolved. So it's officially a steaming pile of... legal hoopla."

"All right." I said. "I'm okay with increased patrols, especially after dark. But we are not hired security for the Heritage Cloisters subdivision, so there will be no TCPD manning the front gates or any crap like that. Off-duty Officers can moonlight, of course, but their pay for that will have to come from somewhere besides the taxpayers of the County." Teresa nodded.

I turned to Tanya, who said: "Sir, Myron and Mary have been melting the wires, looking for more on Gus Bradshaw, and they started looking into Katherine Woodburn after that dirty stunt she pulled, calling DFACS like she did. Myron said he was continuing to get some good information on Bradshaw and Jennifer Martin."

"Financial leads?" I asked.

"Yes sir." said Tanya. "First of all, Bradshaw was helping Jennifer Martin make her mortgage payments. We have some direct payments from his account to hers in the exact amounts. There is something else very interesting: one reason she could afford her home, and one reason he could help on the payments, was because neither of them have been paying their HOA fees. Not one dime."

"What?!" Teresa exclaimed, just about exploding upon hearing that.

"I knew you'd love hearing that." Tanya said, to Teresa. "That's right, they haven't paid any since Jennifer became a Board member. They apparently conveeeniently forgot to put liens on their own houses over the HOA fee non-payments."


"Did they mark them as paid, though they didn't actually pay them?" I asked.

"No sir, they didn't go that far." Tanya said. "But just the non-payments and letting it go while putting liens on other peoples' property for non-payments? That's gotta be a crime, too."

"Yeah, get with Paulina and see what we can add to their considerable list of charges." I said. "And let me just explain what I'd like to see happen, here. If we can get something on Jennifer, something solid, we might get her to turn on Bradshaw. As part of any plea deal, she'd have to come correct and call for a new Board election, or give a power of attorney that will allow the residents to access their money and get services restored. If she doesn't budge, maybe Bradshaw will."

Teresa was still fuming mad. "Sir, Todd and I have been paying those ridiculous HOA fees for all these months and years. And now I'm finding out that Bradshaw and Martin weren't paying them? I don't want either to get a deal; throw them both under the jail and throw away the key!"

"I hear you." I said. "And I don't want to give full immunity to either one. But we may have to give one of them something to get an assured conviction of the other."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Orange Order assembled at the Junction Station Depot. There were fewer people there than we'd had in the past. Of course Della Harlow was not there. Janice Holloway was invited but sent regrets.

Also not present was former I.A. chief Efram Elliot. When I asked Sheriff Griswold where he was, the Sheriff replied "He's been ill, so he says. But I also got word that he was upset about the Tunnin arrest. I don't know if that's an I.A. thing or if he really believed Tunnin's accusations against Daniel Allgood, but his absence says a lot."

"Yes sir, it does." I agreed.

Father Romano was present, wearing a black shirt, black slacks, and his clerical collar. Teresa had helped Sergeant DeLong with the requisite supply of beer for the event, as Father Romano was a priest, but also because he donated his Police salary beyond his basic needs to charities supported by the Police and the Catholic Church. The local Catholic Church provided him quarters with the other priests in the apartments behind the Church, so his needs were few.

One person who was also present was Cindy Ross. Somewhat to my surprise, she did not sit near me, the Sheriff, and Teresa. She was almost at the other end of the table. Chief Moynahan was sitting next to her. "Why are they at the other end of the table?" I asked Teresa. She shrugged her shoulders, and I did not fail to notice that she was pretty much trying to avoid answering the question.

After we ate, Lieutenant Rudistan stood up. "Before we begin, I need a clarification, Commander Troy: are Sheriff Department personnel allowed in our meetings? Especially the elected one?" Everyone laughed, then applauded Sheriff Griswold.

I stood up and said "I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned, former Chief Griswold will always be welcome at Orange Order meetings." That got another round of applause.

Then the Sheriff stood up. "I just want you to know," Griswold growled, "that I come to these meetings because I like hanging out with you guys. You're family to me, and that's not going to change even if the color of my uniform did." That generated a standing ovation for Our Sheriff.

Rudistan then had me give the report of the upcoming promotions and medals. I said "Too many to name, as every Officer who was at 'Sturgis On The Square' will be getting something. We do have a couple of surprises, and we're going to have some new Rookies coming into the TCPD. I'm sure they'll be made to feel... welcome."

There was some laughter at that. Most of the Uniformed Officers present remembered their rookie days, which could be 'not unlike' being a Plebe at West Point. I had been extremely lucky that I didn't really have to endure that, since I went into the Army through ROTC, and came into the TCPD as a Supervisor already.

As we finished, all the senior Officers (Captains and above) stayed to help Sergeant DeLong and Father Romano clean up, as we usually did. But Cindy scooted on out of there. She said she had to get home to Betsy. We all understood; Katherine Woodburn's attempt to separate Betsy from her new mother had rattled us all, but none more than Cindy...

Part 31 - Honours

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of the State Office Building on Courthouse Square at 7:00am, Friday, February 1st. "The month of January is gone, with not one single bill passed by the State Legislature!"

"The Gun Safety Bill was passed by the State House along strictly party lines." Bettina said. "The bill would've required everyone in the State to register all their firearms with the SBI Bureau of Firearms and Explosives, for gun buyers to undergo a full background check for all gun sales through stores or private transactions, and would have imposed a $1-per-cartridge tax on ammunition above and beyond all other sales taxes. The measure was defeated in the State Senate. Additionally, deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared made a point to say he would have vetoed it, enraging advocates of sensible gun control legislation."

"And all bills that require an expenditure of money, from highway construction to the salaries of State Troopers, have been rolled into into the Omnibus Budget bill. " continued Bettina. "Lawmakers are at a total impasse on the Budget bill, and this is causing all other bills to be held up, including a bill to require all counties to have Boards of Education separate from other jurisdictional bodies. Our Town & County would be affected by that bill, as the Board of Commissioners serves as the Board of Education here."

"Also, the Governor's Office has announced that Governor Jared will give his 'State of the State' address to a joint session of the Legislature next Thursday, February 7th. Former State Senator Maxine Watts made a tweet on Twitter saying 'All who oppose racism and sexism should boycott Jared's racist, hate-filled speech'."

"And in local news," said Bettina, "the Town & County Police have no results to show in their investigation of the fires that destroyed the homes of Todd Burke, CEO of BOW Enterprises, and Katherine Woodburn, our district's State Senator. The Fire Marshal confirmed that they are both cases of arson. Commander Donald Troy of the TCPD has refused to respond to repeated requests for information on the investigations."

"And Commander Troy continues to be in the news," Bettina continued, "as his slander lawsuit against local attorney H.J. Lynch of Chase, Lynch, and Berry, P.C. was moved forward and assigned to Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts. Commander Troy also made a complaint to the State Bar, asking that Lynch be disbarred, and a ruling by the State Bar is expected soon."

"We have with us Dr. Adam S. Keller of the City University Rodham Foundation For Political and Social Change." said Bettina as a split-screen with 'Pencil Neck' Keller came on-screen. Bettina asked "Dr. Keller, is Mr. Lynch in any real trouble here?"

"No, Bettina," said Keller in his smooth, level way of talking. "The alleged slander made by Mr. Lynch was one accusing Commander Troy of physical Police brutality. As we all know, Commander Troy was investigated by the Independent State Counsel for intimidation and abuse of two women who made very credible claims of sexual harassment against the Governor, and while the Special Grand Jury did not indict Commander Troy, that does not exonerate Troy in any way. This man carries a crowbar around, obviously to intimidate citizens and alleged criminals alike, and I believe Mr. Lynch's allegation is totally accurate. Both the Court and State Bar should exonerate Mr. Lynch, and new investigations of Commander Troy need to take place immediately..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome." said Catrina Pierce. "Thank you for joining Fox Eight University Sunrise, and thank you for making us the highest rated morning show in the State. I'm Catrina Pierce, and as always, with me is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith."

"Good morning, Catrina. Good morning, everyone." said Meredith. "Here's the latest news. TCPD Captain Tanya Perlman gave a statement to Fox Eight News on the status of the two recent arson fires that claimed the homes of BOW Enterprises CEO Todd Burke and State Senator Katherine Woodburn. Captain Perlman confirmed that both cases were deliberately set fires, and that the arsonists disabled the alarm system at the Woodburn home before setting it ablaze. Captain Perlman said she could not confirm that the two cases are related, and declined to comment further on any new leads developed by the TCPD. Catrina?"

"Thank you, Meredith." said Catrina. "Police Commander Donald Troy's lawsuit against attorney H.J. Lynch of Chase, Lynch, and Berry, P.C. has been assigned to Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts. Commander Troy accused Mr. Lynch of slander and defamation after Mr. Lynch repeatedly accused Commander Troy and the TCPD of Police brutality. Commander Troy also made a referral to the State Bar, asking for Mr. Lynch's removal from the Bar, which would mean Mr. Lynch could no longer practice law in this State."

"Joining us is Reed Hudson, host of the top-rated 'Reed Hudson Radio Show', which is syndicated throughout this region of the country, and can now be heard on KFXU Radio." continued Catrina. The camera panned out to show Reed Hudson sitting in the 'guest' chair (which rightly could be called a 'hot chair') with the two hostesses.

"Mr. Reed, welcome to the show." said Meredith, "what about this lawsuit? Does it have a chance?"

"Thanks for having me, Meredith." Reed said. "I don't know if the State Bar will do anything; after all, they've shown hostility towards Commander Troy in the past by taking bribes to disbar his personal attorney. But the lawsuit should have merit. Lynch's comments are inflammatory, divisive, and most of all: false. The are meant to harm Commander Troy personally and the Town & County Police as a law enforcement organization. Comments like that materially harm the TCPD and Commander Troy by hurting morale within the organization and causing citizens to distrust the Police, and Commander Troy in particular."

"So the image of the Police Force is the reason behind the lawsuit?" asked Catrina.

Reed continued: "That's some of it, but it's more. I think Commander Troy is getting tired of the crap, and is starting to do things about it. For several years now, several groups such as the Citizens for Police Accountability have falsely accused Commander Troy of everything from Police brutality to racism, none of which has held up. The Special Grand Jury refused to indict Commander Troy during the Independent State Counsel's investigation, and that's because these charges are and have always been false. Yet the attacks by the Mainstream Media and others continue unabated, and it's way past time for them to be reckoned with."

"What about Commander Troy carrying that red crowbar around?" asked Meredith.

"I'll just say what he says: 'Like the Lone Ranger's mask, that crowbar stands for the Law!'... as does the man carrying it." replied Reed. "Commander Troy has done more to clean up crime as well as institutional racism in this County, and perhaps this entire State, than most of us put together. Yet every time he achieves success, they slander him all the more..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's funny how two Media outlets can have two such totally different viewpoints about the same issues." I said as Tanya, Teresa, and I watched in my office. "If that isn't proof the Media is agenda-driven, I don't know what is."

"Glad we have one network on your side, Commander." said Teresa. "And Tanya, that was great, giving KFXU the comments and KXTC nothing at all." I heartily agreed.

"Thanks." Tanya said with a sparkle in her eye and her cherubic grin on her face. "By the way, I notice nothing at all has been said about Priya Ajmani resigning as Katherine Woodburn's Press Secretary, much less the reasons why. I think that is a bigger story than anything I heard this morning."

"True." I said. "And speaking of Cindy and Betsy, where is Commander Ross?"

"In her office." Teresa said, her face becoming a bit pensive. "I think she's boycotting our news-watching gatherings. She hasn't been coming in to the Chief's morning coffee klatches, either."

"She's still pissed at me?" I asked. "I thought she was over that." I then added "But I guess it explains last night..."

"Well, she had the crisis about Betsy to contend with, which distracted her full attention." Teresa said. "But to make a short story long: you know how there's 'passionate racism' where someone really is a heartfelt racist, and then there's 'institutional racism', where the individual is not a racist but goes along with it so his or her business don't get boycotted?"

"Sure." I said. "Like the South in the 1950s, when white kids were told they couldn't play with black kids because, quote 'it just wasn't done', unquote."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. She then made some air quotes as she said "I think Cindy's 'passionate anger' at you has subsided, but it's been replaced by a more chronic 'institutional anger'. She does not agree with you about your war with the Press, but she's choosing to avoid the issue rather than confront you on it... because you still and forever will have 'passionate hatred' for the Press."

"You got that right." I said.

"But make no mistake, sir." Teresa said. "She isn't taking the Media's side against you, but she wants the open hostility to end. She's been trying to work that from both sides, and I think she's finding that the Press isn't going to back off any more than you are. Anyway, I'm talking to her about it, so maybe you two can have a 'come to Jesus' talk about it one day soon."

"And if that doesn't work," Tanya said with a more wicked grin, "there's always the Police Boxing Matches."

"Woe betide." I said. "Woe betide. Okay, ladies, we have Promotions and Medals day in a little under one hour. Tanya, go ahead and get ready for that. Make sure your uniform is as sharp as a katana's edge. Teresa, stay here a moment."

After Tanya left, I bore down on Teresa. "Look," I said, trying to keep my voice from sounding angry, "I know you're Cindy's friend and I know you're trying to help. But I do not ever want to hear that lousy excuse that she's not on the Press's side, but just trying to stop the war. I don't accept that. At. All. Anything like that is not only not on my side,it means she's on the Press's side. There is no in-between, no third-party bullshit. The friend of my Enemy is my Enemy, to bastardize that Arabic saying. If you choose to discuss it with her, make damn sure she understands that. And make sure you understand it, also. Okay, you can go."

"Yes sir." Teresa said, having not shown the slightest bit of emotion throughout my diatribe.

As she got to the door, she turned around and said "Just to be clear, sir. When it comes to the Press, I'm totally on your side, and ready to fight that war against the Press with you. My right side is slow to respond, and I'm left-handed now, because of a God-cursed reporter, John Hardwood. I'll never forgive him nor his bastard colleagues of the Press." She was referring to the injuries she sustained when she rescued Carole at Ward Harvester.