Schools and the Second Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But you called, Daddy." Carole said. Sometimes having an observant daughter can be frustrating, I thought to myself.

"I called Cindy, to see how everyone was doing." I said. "We're all concerned about Molly, but the doctors are very good and they're as good care of her as anyone possibly can, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy." Carole said, not really mollified.

"All right, you get some sleep." I said. Carole turned over and I tucked her in. Bowser settled down, as well. But I don't think Carole went to sleep. And I know I sure didn't as I sat and watched TV in the front room of the house. Laura may not have believed Carole, but I'd seen enough that I did believe her... and nothing could stop me from worrying...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:15am, Wednesday, May 8th. Drs. Cordell and Morgan came down the hall looking a lot happier than they had been. They came to the waiting room, where Maggie was asleep, and Cindy was dozing. Callie had gone and gotten Betsy and taken her home so that both of them could get some sleep in their own beds, and Cindy had chosen not to call Callie when they took Molly back into surgery.

"We got it." Dr. Cordell announced, holding up a small bottle with a piece of wet, bloody cloth inside it. "Dr. Morgan found it. It had snuck up under a blood vessel near her trachea, and we didn't see it at first."

"And it was Dr. Cordell who's seen enough of these to know that going back in was the right thing to do." said Dr. Morgan. "I learned something, there. And the best news is that once we closed her back up, she started improving immediately."

Laura had come in behind them as they were talking. "Out of curiosity, Dr. Cordell," she asked, "what made you decide to go back in now?"

"I guess after seeing enough combat wounds," said Dr. Cordell, "I just get that gut feeling when I see something's not right. And that's what I saw with Chief Evans's vitals."

"You okay, Laura?" asked Cindy. She was feeling a vibe, but she was tired and wondered if she was reading it right.

"I'm fine." said Laura. "And I'm very relieved they found that piece of Molly's armored vest. She's not out of danger, but this will improve her chances a lot. Maggie, there's a couch in my office here at the Hospital. Go get some sleep. I can have a cot brought in for Cindy, too..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Doctor, you need to get some sleep, too." said Teresa to Dr. Cordell once everyone had left the waiting room.

"I'm going now." said Dr. Cordell. Then he peered at Teresa and said "You know, I didn't tell Dr. Fredricson everything, and I'm not going to, so keep this under your hat: one reason I decided to go ahead and take Chief Evans back into surgery... is because young Carole thought something was wrong, and I remembered a 400-million-dollar drug bust, or however much it was, that happened because that little girl saw a pattern on a video. And you obviously had total faith in what she said, which was enough to make my decision easy."

"With Carole," said Teresa, "I have seen enough to know that I have seen too much. And "I appreciate your faith in me, Doctor."

"You've earned it." said Dr. Cordell. "Not just because you're your father's daughter, but because... well, as a wise woman once said, about one second ago: I have seen enough to know that I have seen too much..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was dozing when I heard the kitchen door open and shut. It was Laura, returning home. As she came into the front room, I said "How is she?"

"Improving." said Laura as she sat down next to me. "They took her back into the OR, and found a scrap of cloth from her armor vest that had been hidden before. And I don't blame them for not seeing it; last time they were cleaning up a massive mess in there." I nodded.

"So," Laura said, "her vitals are improving. And before you say it: yes, Carole was right, and I was wrong."

"You weren't wrong." I said. "You just didn't want to bother the nurses on the whims of a five-year-old. That's what I told Carole, anyway; that you didn't want to call them knowing they would call you if there was trouble."

"Why did you tell her that?" Laura asked, a bit incisively.

"Because she does think you didn't believe her." I said.

"I didn't mean it that way." Laura said.

"Well, she took it that way." I replied. "And it hurt."

After a moment, Laura said, almost bitterly: "How does she do it? And how do you know when to believe her?"

"She's born with it." I said. "Like my mom, like Cindy, and to a much lesser extent, myself."

"You're being modest again." Laura said. Then she quipped: "I'm going to snitch on you to the Sheriff for that."

I grinned. "Okay, okay. As to when to believe Carole... I always believe her."

"Always?" Laura asked. "What if she's wrong?"

"What if she is?" I replied. "If she had been tonight, no harm no foul in checking up. Just like the Marcie Harper videos. If there had been nothing there, there would have been nothing there... but there was. And Carole believed in what she saw, and she made a decision to have me called in, and she acted on it. Tell me, isn't that what you do in your medical psychology practice?"

"To a point." said Laura. "And it's obviously what you do as a Police Detective. But Carole is five years old."

"Going on sixteen." I replied, then shook my head sadly as I said "She is going to be a handful as a teenager."

"Like your dear sister?" Laura asked.

"That," I said, "and like mother, like daughter. You grew up fast a teenager."

"I had to." said Laura. "Okay, I'm going to fix us a couple of drinks, then we can go to bed... and fuck like teenagers."

I smiled and kissed her, then she got up and went to the kitchen. I sat there thinking about it: I can't explain it, but when I heard Carole begging Laura to call the Hospital... I just knew she was right, and that something was wrong. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV... but I'm willing to bet that getting Molly into that OR tonight instead of in the morning... might have been the difference between life and death for her...

Part 16 - Day of Duty

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, May 8th. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the shooting at Nextdoor County High School, which left one student dead and a Police Officer in critical condition!"

Bettina began: "Student groups held candlelight vigils last night, chanting demands for strict gun control legislation. They are demanding the State Legislature convene to pass legislation confiscating all 'assault rifles', and raising the age to legally purchase any firearm to 21. They plan a protest march today during the memorial service for Tom Usagi, the NCHS Senior who died in the attack."

Bettina: "The memorial service is being held at the NCHS football stadium. Channel Two News has learned that the U.S. Deputy Attorney General is coming to Nextdoor County, and may be present at the service. The Deputy A.G. issued a statement, saying that he wanted to meet with the student groups, and that it was very important to listen to them and hear their concerns about gun violence in schools..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Joining us in the Chief's Conference Room for coffee was Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, who came in with Tanya this morning. The Sheriff and I were also there. Chief Moynahan had gone to the Hospital, and had texted that Molly was continuing to improve. Laura texted me the same thing. Teresa was transporting Betsy and my boys to BOW Enterprises day care.

Tanya said "Not a word from Bettina about Molly nor German."

"And no cheap shots at Governor Jared." I said. "Wonder why? Especially since he's the guy that has to call the Legislature into Session."

"The State Supreme Court can't do it?" Tanya asked.

"Only to impeach and remove the Governor or Lt. Governor." I said.

"And Jared is not going to do it." growled Griswold. "I talked to him last night. He wants to wait until after the funeral, then see if anything truly common-sense can be passed, like having trained, armed teachers in the schools, like they do in Israel. The garbage the Democrats and these ginned-up protesters are howling for will never make it to his desk, and anything that does will be vetoed."

"So..." I said, "withhold my surprise that the rabidly anti-gun-rights Deputy A.G. is finally going to show up around here."

"That's what I came to tell you guys." said Jack Muscone. "We got notice of the visit Monday night. Since the original plan had been to speak at the University, I naturally asked if the Deputy A.G. was coming here, to your County. I was told by the Brass in Washington to mind my own business."

"So I pressed the issue." continued Muscone. "I asked if the Deputy A.G. wanted to come to the Hospital to visit German, and to see Molly's family, as those would be good photo-ops for him. Finally someone, who said he was the 'Junior Adjutant', told me that the Deputy A.G. had said that he had absolutely no interest in meeting with the Officers nor their families, that it would take time away from him meeting with the student groups."

'He does not give a shit about the Officers that bravely went in and stopped the bastard." I said, mostly to myself. "He only wants to gin up anti-gun-rights protests."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome," said Catrina Pierce at 7:30am, from the KFXU studios. "With me as always is Meredith Peller."

"Hello, Catrina. Hello, everyone." said Meredith. "Here's what's going on. In response to protests in Nextdoor County by students as well as outsiders who came in to join the protests, Governor Jared issued a statement saying that he and Legislative leaders will meet after Tom Usagi's funeral to discuss possible common-sense laws in response to the tragedy that claimed the life of NCHS Senior Tom Usagi."

Catrina picked it up: "The Governor says he supports legislation that would allow specially-trained armed teachers in the State's schools, following a similar plan used by the Israelis to protect their schoolchildren. However, the Governor says raising the age limit to buy a gun would be challenged in Court and is likely unconstitutional, and therefore he would veto it if it passed."

Meredith: "Democrats furiously denounced Governor Jared, saying that the time is now to convene the Legislature, and any delay was unreasonable. They also denounced his plans to have armed teachers, saying there should be fewer guns in schools, not more of them. They also said in a statement that they will be pushing to outlaw sales of 'assault rifles' in the State, and want to outlaw sales of magazines with a capacity of more than six rounds, as well as impose an ammunition tax of one dollar per round on the sale of all ammunition in the State, rifle or pistol, in every caliber."

Catrina: "Meanwhile, Fox Eight News has learned that Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans underwent another round of surgery last night, and that her condition has begun to improve. Detective John German is recovering from a wound to his leg, and is expected to be released from the Hospital soon, possibly by the weekend."

Meredith: "The Deputy Attorney General of the United States is planning to visit Nextdoor County today. While there are no specifics of his plans, aides say that he may attend the memorial service for Tom Usagi, and he has expressed a desire to meet with the student protesters so that he can, quote, 'give their voices a chance to be heard above the NRA's divisive rhetoric', unquote. When KFXU asked if the Deputy AG would visit University Hospital to meet Detective German and the family of Chief Evans, we received the reply that the Deputy AG was not interested in doing that at all."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well of course the Democrats want Jared to convene the Legislature now, while emotions are still running high." said Teresa Croyle, who had joined Tanya and me in my office. "The longer the delay, the more time for cooler heads to prevail."

"And they know that." I said. "An Establishment Republican would cave, and call the Session now. But Jared is noooo Establishment weenie."

Just then there was a knock on my door. It was Captain Damien Thompson. "Excuse me, sir," he said, "but Bettina Wurtzburg called and wants an interview."

"Oh my God, has she not figured it out yet?" Teresa said, exasperation in her voice. Then she looked at me and said "Don, why are you grinning?"

"Because it's not me she wants the interview with, is it, Captain Thompson?" I said. "She wants to interview Captain Perlman."

"Yes sir, that's right." said Captain Thompson.

"400 years ago!" Tanya said with a huge grin on her face, and sparkling eyes. "How'd you figure that out?"

"Like Captain Croyle said," I replied, "The issue is guns, and Bettina knows I won't give her the time of day, much less an interview. But the Captain that's in a wheelchair, put there by 'assault rifles'? Oh yeah, she would love to put that on the air."

"Machine guns, actually." Tanya said, referring to the guns that had paralyzed her. (Author's note: 'Six Degrees', Ch. 01.) "So, shall I give that interview?"

"May I recommend that you do so under one condition." I said. "Demand that the interview be live. Not 'live to tape', but totally live."

"And make sure," Teresa said, getting my drift, "that Bettina knows that if they cut off the interview, she can be arrested for lying to a Police Officer."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg with a live interview of TCPD Captain Tanya Perlman." said Bettina as she sat next to Tanya in the Press Interview Room at Police Headquarters. "Captain Perlman was paralyzed by persons using 'assault rifles' in an attack which killed Pamela Feeley, mother of slain Police Officer Peter Feeley. Captain, how do you feel about the death of Tom Usagi and the wounding of two Police Officers in the Nextdoor County school shooting?"

Tanya said "First of all, Bettina, in the name of total accuracy, I was wounded and Pamela Feeley was killed by professional criminals using full machine guns, not so-called 'assault rifles'. The machine guns that were used in that crime are illegal for anyone to own, so only criminals had those guns."

Tanya continued: "Also, I am horrified by the school shooting. Chief Molly Evans is a friend of mine as well as the sister of one of my closest friends and fellow Police Officers, Commander Cindy Ross. And Tom Usagi was a very brave young man who gave his life for others. He was a true hero, and we will remember him as such."

Bettina tried to get back to her point: "But what about assault rifles being legal to purchase by people like Adam Eagan, and by the killers that went after you? As a Police Officer, do you really favor such weapons that are a danger to the Public and the Police being so freely available?"

Tanya had played dumb to this point, but now she sprang her trap: "Bettina," she said with a bit of acid in her voice, "why is it when criminals use guns to commit crimes, you Media and your politician allies start screaming for law-abiding Citizens to be stripped of their gun rights?"

"I'm not advocating the Second Amendment be done away with." said Bettina. "But as a woman paralyzed by gunfire from those kinds of weapons, don't you want them to be off the streets, and law-abiding Citizens to be safer?"

"Stripping people of their gun rights does not make them safer, Bettina." Tanya said strongly. "And by the way, there are over 23,000 gun laws in this country that are not applied, and if they would be applied we might have fewer of these crimes, not more. Why is it that whenever something like this happens, all you want is more laws, and usually laws confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens or taxing their ammunition?"

"Those are NRA statistics, and inaccurate." snarled Bettina. "Nothing the NRA says should be believed."

"I never said I was quoting the NRA." said Tanya. "My fiancé is an FBI Agent, and you can go verify my numbers with them. The bottom line, Bettina, is that I was not wounded by a law-abiding citizen with a gun he purchased to protect his family, and Tom Usagi was not killed by any law-abiding citizen with an AR-15 rifle. The crimes were committed by criminals, not the guns."

Bettina ended the interview. As she got up to leave, exasperated, she said "You're as demented as the Iron Crowbar."

"I take that as a compliment." said Tanya, unperturbed.

Bettina whirled on her. "How can you say that?" the redheaded reporterette spat. "You're in that chair because of guns!"

"And you honestly think stripping law-abiding Citizens of their guns is the answer?" Tanya replied. "I suppose you're going to tell me next that only Police Officers like the Iron Crowbar should have guns."

"You're hopeless." Bettina said. She quickly exited the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Did it all make it to television?" Tanya asked when she got back to my office.

"Every word." I said. "But boy! was she pissed at your answers."

"She should've known better." Teresa said. "After all, Captain Perlman is not an Agency of the Weak Minded." We all laughed, then Teresa said "I don't know what she was thinking, allowing that to go on."

"I do." I said. When all eyes looked at me, I said "I remember a story from the 1984 Reagan campaign, the famous 'Morning In America' ads. A young reporterette interviewed the Campaign people, and they gave her clips of the ads they were going to run. She took the clips and ran them, but voiced over things like 'you wouldn't know it from this scene, but millions are in poverty and out of work due to President Reagan's policies', and such stuff."

I continued: "When she saw the staff people, she asked them what they thought of her hit piece. They said it was great! She said 'But I said all those negative things.' and they said 'That doesn't matter. You see, people saw the pictures, and that's what they'll remember. If they even heard the words, they won't remember them.'."

"Ahhhh," said Teresa, getting my point. "Bettina thinks people will see Tanya in her wheelchair, and blame the gun. And what Tanya said won't matter."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said. "But Bettina forgot a couple of things. First, she was also on the air, looking as hateful as I've ever seen her while Tanya was half-smiling while she refused to blame the gun. And second, people do remember what they hear, especially those pesky facts Tanya put out there."

"Still, sir," said Tanya, "I think I'm done giving Bettina interviews. This one was important for the Cause, that 'Cause' being the Constitution. But I'm done with her and her agendas and her hatred."

"Someone give this woman a blue crowbar!" I said.

Tanya grinned. "You know," she said, "I've always wondered why you used that blue crowbar, the one in my office now, on Sergei Molotov that first time. Blue is not the warmest of crowbar colors, you know." (Author's note: 'Russian Roulette', Ch. 02.)

I just smiled. "My mother didn't tell you?" I asked. Teresa and Tanya shook their heads. "Well, maybe one day I'll tell you. But right now, Iron Wolf, you and I have an appointment... with the Japanese Ambassador and the Usagi family..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Ichimoku Industries helicopter carrying the Japanese Ambassador landed at the Baseball Fields in Nextdoor County. With the Ambassador was Takaki Misaki and the Ichimoku Industries CEO. All three were formally dressed in Japanese kimonos.

Waiting to greet the entourage were me, Teresa, and Takaki Nagamasa. Teresa and Nagamasa knew to bow low, but it was a quandary for me: was the Japanese Ambassador higher in importance than Misaki-san, who was a confidant of the Emperor of Japan? I watched all the men carefully, and saw that the Ambassador and Misaki-san were on the same level... which meant I was on the same level with them.