Seaside

Story Info
One became two, two became three.
8.4k words
4.6
4.7k
11
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Forward: This story plays in the same world as The Rise of the Phoenix, somewhere in the Conch Republic. This and future stories will draw on some of the places and characters we first encountered in that story and introduce a new set of characters with their own needs and desires. With all that said, I hope you enjoy it, and your comments are welcome. But of course, this being Lit, but everyone is past the age of consent.

The Conch Republic, aka CR, is a string of islands and keys running south of North America. The republic is a loose confederation of islands and peoples scattered across the Caribbean. CR consists of many different providences, each with its unique flavor. The people who live realize that everyone here is a refugee. They came from somewhere else. Some moved here recently, while others have a family history that goes back generations. All in all, people here are very tolerant and forgiving for the most part.

This morning began the same for Alex since he moved to Duck Bay Key. His morning started when Fred, his best bud, who happened to be a Belgian Malinois, stuck his cold nose between his shoulders. Malinois or Mallis is a breed that loves to learn things from their human companion, who they love to play with. The collection of tricks and stunts they do can be amazingly unique. They were bred to be protective herding dogs. Usually, they are bonded to only one person. They see that person as their human, their principal. They go on alert when something they sense as a threat enters their principal's space. Fred was telling Alex it was time to get up and let him out to do this thing. This was one of the many services that Fred willingly gave Alex. His feet found the floor after the usual round of groans and curses. The two of them wandered through the house and out onto the lanai. Then with the door open, Fred could explore his kingdom, aka the backyard of their home here. As Alex wandered back through the house, he hit the button on the coffee pot. Then it was on to the bathroom and shower to start the day. After Alex finished in the bath and grabbed his uniform of the day, a t-shirt and shorts, he got a cup of coffee and called his partner in crime, Fred.

As usual in the morning, Alex sat at the counter of Maria's and Juan's bait shack, fishing supply, café, beer cave & sundry supply shop next to the Creek Marina, waiting for them to open. He was nursing his cup of coffee and enjoying his island home's tranquility while Fred lounged about next to him. A new person, a woman, walked toward them. When Fred sensed this new person, he sat up, his ears twitching. He was almost on alert. Then the decidedly shrill twang of a New York accent voice broke into his world. "I want some breakfast." The young woman demanded. "What time does this place open?" Looking over towards the intruder, he pointed to the sign telling the world, 'Open at nine or so, maybe earlier or later, and close when we're tired.' With that, Ms. Karen, filled with righteous indignation, flew off to parts unknown. Well, she won't have a great vacation here. We are on-island time here. After all, this is the Conch Republic. Maybe she might like Miami and SoBe better, he thought. With Ms. Karen's departure, Fred went back to snoozing beside Alex's stool.

As he finished his coffee, a soft lilting voice said, "That was funny. Damm, I do love the Karens of the world." Looking around, he saw another woman a little younger than him. A guess would put her age in the mid-thirties, with a wild mop of red hair shifting about in the morning breeze. Alex was always drawn to women with red hair; this new bird had that. Also, she had a warm, soft voice. Her eyes glowed like a pair of emeralds. She certainly was the rare one in Fred's eyes.

"Well, young lady." I began. "The world is a big place filled with many different birds. And Ms. Karen certainly is different." That comment got a chuckle from Ms. Red as he started thinking of her. "You know, Tio Juan, who owns this place, likely as not, works seventy hours a week here with his wife. So? Who will say a damm thing if they open an hour late or so on what promises to be a slow day?"

Ms. Red quickly picked up. "How do you know it will be a slow day today?"

"Good question. It's the middle of the week, and as usual, none of the charter boats are going out today. The two of them stock the boats with ice, beer, food, and sometimes bait too. Maria is a great cook. Her breakfast omelet is to die for. When the charter boats come in, Juan can clean the catch, and Maria will turn the catch into a wonderful meal. The charter boat operators sell a package where people have the boat for a long weekend, Friday through Monday. The folks that go out on the boats hope to pull in a prize catch that can be mounted and placed over the fireplace in their home up north. A taxidermist two hops south of here will stuff whatever they bring in. Today's Wednesday, the crews will finish whatever minor repairs that are needed, then head over here in the afternoon for a cold beer or two. That's life on this here key, just like the tides. Life is very regular. Anywho? What brings you to our lost piece of paradise, Miss Lady?"

My comment got the young lady chuckling. Regular? EH? "I finally got my divorce signed, sealed, and delivered. The attorney had to fight to get my ex to hand over all the paperwork needed for the settlement. Once that was in hand, things went quickly. And I was traded in for a newer model. The only good thing was that the son of a bitch couldn't get it up even with a truckload of little blue pills. So thankfully, we didn't have any children. I got paid off so he could playhouse with someone new. I heard he has a boyfriend now. And me? I got my life back."

"I'm a freelance editor. I work with a couple of publishers in New York, helping to organize and polish manuscripts before publication for their adoring fans. Mostly, I work with historical novels set in England, Europe, or the Americas. I had a dual major in college, History, mostly the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and English composition. My plan is for the next month or two. I'm going to gorge myself on the fruits of the sea. This forgotten little key looks like a beautiful place to do that. Unlike Miami, SoBe, and other big touristy places, it's quiet here. I'm guessing, of course, but you look like you're hiding out here too."

"Yeah, this is my hideout, my safe place. I was a cop, a detective, and I needed a place that didn't attract attention. This place is as low-key as you can get. Ahh, you're a wordsmith who is a grammar Nazi. My old boss was cut from the same cloth as you. The high point of his day was when he would kick back a report to some uncouth, unwashed, overworked detective. I worked on a Federal/City task force with links to the insurance companies that handled truck hijackings. The wise guys can make a few bucks hitting almost any truck. But the real money is grabbing a truck loaded with high value cargo."

"One of my last cases was kinda fun. We worked with the Feds and the insurance companies. The problem for the highjacker is how to sell the stuff and disappear. That's where the guys who have friends and know some guy who has a friend come in. The insurance company heard a rumor that a shipment of designer clothes would be ripped off. The drill is that the wiseguys get the truck to pull over, often quite willingly, and the driver jumps out to be replaced by one of the boys. The truck turns up a few days later, but surprise, the cargo is gone. We had a promising lead where this latest caper would go down. And it did; as the truck turned the corner, it was blocked in. A car pulled up alongside the truck, and four guys got out as the driver left the cab. Everything was going according to the script. But my guys and I were in the shadows waiting. What's the old saying when you least expect it? Expect it. Unfortunately, there was some gunplay, and one of the wise guys got shot. It was a damn shame it took EMS so long to get there. He had bled out from a head wound by the time they arrived. He had the back of his head blown out. It turns out the dead guy was the only son of one of the big players. The word got out that the kid's old man had sworn he'd get my sorry ass. As you can see, he never did."

"Anyway, a couple of months later, I had finished another twelve-hour day of watching shadows and was headed to my apartment. As usual, I stopped at the neighborhood bodega to get a cold one or two. It was 2 AM or so. As I was getting my beer, some bozo came in and yelled this is a stickup and for the cashier to give him all the cash in the register. My buddy Kabir was working behind the counter. He knew the drill and that I was a cop. I moved down the line of beer coolers with my pistol in my hand and around the store to get the perp lined up. I yelled at the scumbag, telling him I was a cop and for him to drop his pistol. Well, he was feeling his oats, and he took two shots at me. One hit my knee, and the other shattered my thigh. I returned the favor and put one round in his chest. End of his story. That escapade ended my stint as a cop. I was medically discharged with a full pension after a boatload of operations and time in rehab learning to walk again. Today, everyone here calls me either Gimpy or Limpy. But my mom used to call me Alex, and my old man called me the asshole or fuckwad. Anyway, you take your pick as to what to call me."

My little story got the lovely lady chuckling. "Grammar Nazi, eh? I try to get a manuscript in shape so the reader can understand what the author is trying to say. Sometimes, that is almost impossible. Thinking about what to call you, I like what your mom called you, Alex. So, that's what I will call you too. But when you piss me off, and I'm sure you will, I'll use one of your dad's names for you, or maybe I'll get creative. Deal? OH? Hi Alex, I'm Ali or Alison or that god damm bitch with the red hair and poison pen. You make your choice. OH! Alex? What's the story on your cute little puppy?"

That question of Alex to chuckle. "Fred? Well? A few people might think he's a cutie. I got him from a buddy who works for one of the many different agencies in the alphabet soup of law enforcement. After I was sidelined, they discovered they had too many puppies to train as security dogs, and I got him as I was getting ready to move here. I knew a lot about the breed. I had never had one. For sure, I got every book on training Maillis I could find. Today, Fred is my buddy and shadow. Except, don't piss him off."

His comment got Ali to chuckle, "For sure, I will remember that. Do you figure they're going open for breakfast, or do I need to go somewhere else?"

"Ali? Do you see that red pickup coming over the bridge? That's Tio Juan and Tia Maria. This is their place. Their family was from the big island here in the CR, but now they make our place better. If you can sit still for fifteen minutes, you'll find yourself looking at one of the most beautiful omelets you've seen. But if you can't wait, hop down the Overseas Highway to the next dry spot. There's a choke and puke there where you find some god-awful food. They should be open now unless the health department has shut them down again."

"Ya know, I'm enjoying the company and conversation. I will happily sit still while I await your promised omelet." Then Ali let loose a smile that would light up anyone's day.

As the pickup pulled up to the shop, Juan and Maria got out of the truck. I called out. "Hey Maria, you guys need a hand unloading and putting stuff in the back?"

The answer came back. "No, no, Senor Gimpy. My Juan, he needs the exercise. We both know all he's going to do all day is sit on his sorry ass in the window and talk to all you Americanos and tell fish stories. While poor me, I have to work all day in the hot kitchen. You think one day he'll help out in the kitchen. But no, not my Juan." Her comment got both Juan and me laughing.

Ali looked at me, asking. "What's so funny?"

"Hey Maria, what are you going to do with him? Eh?" Alex called out.

Juan's basso profundo voice came in. "Senor Fuckwad, don't you get my Maria started so early in the day. She'll be impossible to be around, and my life will be miserable. Now if you want an omelet, you best be plugging your facehole." That comment got the three of us laughing.

After they put everything away, Maria fixed one of her signature omelets. She called out. "Hey, Senor Asshole, who is the lovely lady sitting there with you? And does she know how terrible a person you are?"

That got both Ali and me laughing. "Tia Maria, thank you for the warm introduction. The charming lady is Ali. She's hiding out here from an enraged ex-husband."

Maria spun around from the grill. "Ali? Your shithead? Does he have a gun? Cause my Juan has a shotgun that he loads with rock salt to slow down fools."

Ali's eyes exploded as a warm smile washed over her face. "Maria? No ... no. My ex doesn't have; what do they call them? The cajónes to try anything. He's a dickless little bastard. Hell, he couldn't get it up with a truckload of little blue pills." While she was talking, the omelets arrived. They were huge. Some sliced fresh fruit on the side of the omelet overfilled the small plater. Ali thought this was much more than what the corner coffee shops back home ever put out. Juan and Maria continued their back-and-forth chatter as she ate her omelet. Maria tossed out that Juan was a lazy old man. At the same time, Juan responded that all the food she made was like an offering to the gods, burned to a crisp. As she was finishing her omelet, Maria called Juan to come with her to help unload the last of the stuff in the pickup. Juan grudgingly got up and went to the door and waited on Maria. Then the two of them walked over to their truck, holding hands. Yeah, actions speak louder than words. Those two loved each other.

After they had finished breakfast, Ali looked and asked no one in particular. "What's there to do here today?"

Alex smiled, "Well, Ali, if you're adventurous, you could try windsurfing on the Gulf side of the Key. Another option is to count the shorebirds running along the beach. But many of us will be closely examining the insides of our eyelids." About halfway through the listing of things to do, the large dog that had been taking a sun bath got up and ambled toward Juan, who had a bowl in his hand. "Ali, I'm sorry I didn't introduce you to our mascot here, Fred. When Fred was a little puppy, he got the idea that he would grow up to be a lap dog. Ali? Can you picture an eighty-pound plus lap dog? Most of the time, if you haven't been introduced. Fred, he will ignore you. That is unless you do something that gets his attention. Just like Ms. Karen did."

"Usually, after I finish breakfast. I'll take him to the beach, where he'll chase the shorebirds. It's kinda like a dog chasing a car. I always wonder what a dog would do if they actually caught the car. He doesn't understand that the damm birds will fly away from him. But that burns off a lot of his stored-up energy, which he needs to do. Then we are off for a swim out in the ocean. I need to exercise my leg, so I swim nearly every day. When Fred sees me in the water, he runs to me happily, and we swim and play in the water for another hour or so. All in all, we make an interesting pair."

Ali sat there watching Fred devour his breakfast. "What kind of dog is he? He's not a German Shepard. I know that."

"Ali? You have a good eye." Alex commented. "No, Fred is a Malli or Belgian Malinois. They are, by nature and temperament, a dog that likes to herd things. Like birds, it makes him nuts when the birds won't do what he thinks they should. Instead, they fly away. They bond with their family, their humans and will protect them. Mallis are guard dogs by nature. Many high-value facilities, like the White House, use them. By the way, they are furious guard dogs with a powerful bite. They can be very intimidating when they are on full alert. But, once the Malli is introduced to you. You have a friend for life. "Ali looked over at Fred as he finished off the last of his breakfast. Alex called out to the dog. "Ain't that right, Fred?" His response was a loud bark and wag of his tail as he approached Alex. When he got to where Ali and Alex were sitting, Alex commanded. "Fred, sit." Which the dog did immediately. Fred's eyes were locked only on his human. "Fred, say hello to Ali." And he got up and went over to her and began sniffing her feet. "He's learning what you smell like and will remember you." Then Alex commanded. "Fred, shake with Ali." And immediately, Fred sat down at Ali's feet and offered his paw to shake. Ali leaned forward to shake Fred's paw. His response was to give his new friend a wet kiss from a giant happy puppy whose tail went back and forth. Then he planted both feet in Ali's lap as his soulful eyes watched her shake her head and smile. "Ali? You just made a new friend. A friend for life."

They sat at the counter chatting, getting to know each other. Then Alex said it was time to take Fred out to the beach for his morning run and where he would chase them damm birds. After that, they would go for a swim. "Ali?" Alex asked. "Would you like to join us?"

Her immediate response was a huge smile. "Give me three minutes. I gotta dash back to my cottage and get my swimming suit on. Don't you guys dare start without me! I want to see Fred herding the birds. That has to be a laugh."

True to her word, Ali was walking back to the beach three minutes later, where she saw Fred and Alex wrestling in the sand. When Fred saw Ali, he gleefully dashed over to his new best friend, welcoming her to his beach. Alex called Fred and pointed to where the shorebirds ran along the water's edge. Fred took off like a laser-guided missile. Barking, wagging his tail, jumping to catch a bird, and then taking off after another bird. After an hour or so, it looked like Fred was beginning to get bored chasing the birds. Alex got up and started walking toward the water. With that, Fred turned on a dime and raced over to catch up with Alex, who had just jumped into the water. Ali sat on the beach, watching the simple joy that Alex and Fred showed. Somewhere along the line, she decided to join them. That looked like way too much fun. And that was what Ali came here for, fun.

The next morning was almost a carbon copy of the previous morning, except with two minor differences. When Fred saw Ali walking towards Maria's & Juan's Bait Shack, he took off running towards her as he barked out a joyful good morning. Also, Ali wore her swimsuit so she could join them after breakfast. They settled into a routine. Ali would join Alex and Fred in the morning, and everybody did their thing in the afternoon and evening. One morning the following week, she asked Alex if that wasn't Ms. Karen from the previous week. He looked in the direction she had pointed and shook his head questioningly. Then he asked. "Hey, Ali? Did you happen to see what she was driving?" She pointed out a flashy SUV parked near Maria's and Juan's pickup. Nodding, Alex called Fred as he got up and walked away from the shack. Ten minutes later, he was back as Ms. Karen got in her SUV and drove off. Smiling, Alex told Ali. "I got a picture of her and the license plate of her SUV, which I'll get over to some friends and ask them to check. It's probably nothing, but who knows? Maybe it's all a simple coincidence, but both times she was around, Fred alerted. He doesn't alert unless he picks up something. Anyway, I'm going to enjoy my breakfast. How about you?"

Ali chimed in after breakfast and a second cup of a double Café Americano. "Ya know, being here for the past couple of weeks has been pure heaven. That and Tia Maria's food is to die for. I'm not flooded with calls from girlfriends asking this and that. The folks I work with know I'm out of town and off the merry-go-round. Yesterday my lawyer called and told me he had gotten the settlement check and the paperwork for him to file to get my ex's name off of the condo. Which raises the question, what am I going to do with it? There are a lot of ghosts rattling around there. But that's for the future. Today, I will watch Fred as he catches birds running along the shore. Hey Alex? What would he do if he caught one of those birds?" That question got both of them laughing.