Second Chances Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Messy wouldn't have worried Richard but he understood the other reasons as well. It gave him the perfect opening to get his own baggage out in the open.

"That's okay. I've got something to tell you that you aren't going to like."

"You're not actually married are you?" Peta asked with a nervous laugh.

"No, no. Definitely divorced. Definitely currently single. But it does relate to my marriage in a way. To be more precise how ugly it got during the divorce."

Peta relaxed a bit. She could see Richard was worried about it but it couldn't be that bad. He was just too nice. Looking into his face she could see he was struggling to find the words.

"It's okay, tell me another time."

"No, I've got to do it now." Richard replied.

He turned to face her front on holding her hands in his. Just as he was about to speak a loud crashing sound came from the kitchen.

"There go the dinner plates." Peta said as she waited to hear her mother's reaction.

There wasn't any. Then Murray came to the back door.

"There's something wrong with grandma."

Peta and Richard both got up and rushed inside. Peta went into the kitchen while Richard stopped at the door. Marci was facing away from them, standing but using the bench top for support.

"Are you okay mum?"

"Of course I am. Don't worry I'm just the cook and the cleaner." Marci snapped.

"Okay, we'll clean up you go and have a rest." Peta said trying to be conciliatory.

"I think I will. I've had a headache all afternoon."

Marci pushed herself away from the bench and made for the door but Richard blocked her way.

"Grab my hands Marci."

"What?" She looked at him, confusion showing in her expression.

"Grab my hands," Richard repeated in the same steady calm voice that he always used. Peta thought it had an almost hypnotic effect.

Marci did as he requested.

"Now squeeze them," Marci face changed as she concentrated on following his direction.

"Good, now smile for me." The boys giggled till Richard glared at them.

"What kind of a sick game are you playing."

"No game I assure you, please just smile for me. It's important." Richard reassured her.

She did as he requested.

"Okay and again..." he looked closely at her face then turned to Peta. "I'm taking your mum to the hospital. You find somewhere for the boys to stay and then join me there."

"Huh? You're joking aren't you?" Peta said but something about the way he had said it made her think he was deadly serious.

"Don't be ridiculous. I just need to have a lay down." Marci joined in.

"The grip in your right hand is a lot weaker than your left. The right side of your smile is lower than the left. You were limping on your right leg. "

"And what are you some kind of amateur doctor?" Marci said gruffly still disbelieving.

She shuffled across to go around him but her right leg gave way. Richard caught her under the arms to stop her falling then pulled her beside him. Gripping her around the waist he started helping her towards the hallway.

"My dad had a stroke. He just thought he was feeling a bit off and went to bed. The next morning his left side was paralysed." Richard explained.

The story had the desired effect. Marci wasn't struggling to get away and Peta came to help. They got her to Richard's ute, as it was closer than Peta's four wheel drive. Once she was settled in the front seat Richard started to move around the other side but Peta's hand stopped him.

"Why don't I take her to the hospital and you stay here with the boys?"

It was a perfectly good idea. However Richard knew it wasn't possible.

"I'll get her their faster," he tried.

"Don't be ridiculous. Do you even know where the hospital is?"

"Not exactly but I've seen the big signs on the way in to town. I just have to follow them." He tried to shrug off her hand but she tightened her grip.

"What the fuck is going on Richard?"

"Look there's no time to explain properly. Every moment is precious for your mum I have to get her to the hospital."

"Why can't you stay here?"

Richard sighed. "Look the short version is that the divorce got really messy as I said before. Allegations were made against me. False allegations that I'm challenging but I had to make undertakings to the court that I wouldn't be alone with children."

Peta looked at him with horror.

"I know it sounds really bad and if I had time to explain better you'd understand but every second we stand here your mum is potentially getting sicker."

"You'd better get your story straight by the time I get to hospital because you are telling me everything."

"I will. I promise. Got to go."

Peta let his arm go and Richard rushed around the drivers side, fired up the engine and was gone. He didn't bother to slow down at the front gate, throwing the ute sideways he steered with the skid as he drifted onto the main road then flattened it, spinning the wheels on the wet road as he shot forward into the night. Expecting a protest from Marci he looked across and saw she was nodding off.

"Stay awake, Marci." He called and she opened her eyes.

He desperately wanted her conscious when they got to the hospital so the doctor could do the same preliminary tests.

"Hey Marci," he started loudly and her eyes opened again. "Did you know you are sitting next to a registered sex offender?"

Marci eyes almost popped out of her head and she gripped tightly on the seat belt with her left hand.

"Oh yeah Marci, have I got a story for you.."

Chapter 14.

Richard made good time into Airlie. Marci was still awake and she'd calmed down a lot. He hoped it was hearing the full story and not the stroke but her anxiety levels had dropped appreciably. Richard turned at another hospital sign and this time saw the building up the road in front of him. Unfortunately at the same time a car turned behind them and it had lights and a siren.

"Shit!" Richard blurted out.

He looked at his speedo. 60km/h, only 10 over. He looked at the old lady beside him and decided the guy would just have to chase him right to the hospital. Richard kept going. The police car continued behind with lights and sirens. It didn't try and overtake or force the issue. Richard hoped he realised where they were heading. At the emergency entrance he pulled up and got out. The police car came to a halt behind him as he extracted his licence from his wallet.

"What's the hurry pal?" It was Senior Sergeant Darby. The local guy who'd come to his house.

"Pretty obvious isn't it?" Richard replied pointing at the emergency sign. "Write me up." He added flicking his licence at the policeman.

A stern looking nurse came out through the automatic doors. Another younger one hovered near the doorway.

"You can't park here. It's reserved for emergency vehicles." She thundered.

"This is an emergency." Richard said as he moved around the ute to the passenger door. "Elderly female, persistent headache, loss of strength in her right side, distorted smile, thinking possible stroke."

"Do you have any medical training?" The nurse asked, them added before he could reply. "We're the experts around here."

Richard opened the door and the nurse lent in and recognised the patient.

"Hi Marci. How are you doing?"

Marci tried to talk but the words came out garbled. The features on the right side of her face now had a pronounced droop.

"Jenny, call Dr Hodge and get the trolley. We've got a cerebrovascular incident." The angry nurse called over her shoulder before turning back to the patient. "Don't worry Marci, we'll get you sorted."

Richard helped them get Marci onto the trauma cart. Marci was no longer defiant, in fact she looked more frail and frightened. She grabbed Richard's hand with her good one and gripped it tightly.

The Senior Sergeant moved closer and tugged at Richard's sleeve. "Can I have a word?"

Richard didn't have a chance to reply before the nurse asked him a question.

"Are you family?"

"No, just a friend. I helped out at harvest. Her daughters on her way, she just had to drop her children off."

The nurse looked at the way Marci was clutching Richard's hand then looked up at the policeman.

"Sorry, looks like he's coming with us."

"But..." he started to object but the nurse cut him off.

"While you wait why don't you shift the vehicles out of the restricted parking space."

Senior Sergeant Darby watched as they went through the doors. It didn't matter, he thought. The guy had no where to go if he had his keys and it might be advantageous for him to talk to Peta first anyway.

Peta rang a friend in town with a boy the same age as Murray. She said she could have them for the night so Peta threw some clothes and pjs in a bag and hustled off to town. After dropping the boys off, she sped to the hospital. Pulling into the car park she saw Richard's ute and parked beside it. On the other side was a police car.

She all but broke into a jog as she made her way to the entrance. Pushing through the doors Peta looked for a sign that would direct her to emergency. A policeman was leaning against the wall close by. He pushed himself off it and moved to intercept her.

"Peta?"

"Yes." Peta stopped her heart thumping. Why was Benny Darby wanting to talk to her? "I'm just... I've got to get to my mum."

"She's with the doctor. I'll walk you down there if you like."

"Thanks," Peta said as she fell into step beside him.

"How long have you known Richard Douglas?" His tone was conversational but Peta was on guard.

"Only a few weeks, three of four I suppose."

"And you've got a couple of young boys haven't you?"

"Yes," Peta stopped and the policeman stopped too. "What are you implying?"

"Has he told you about his past?"

"Yes." Peta said firmly. "I know he's not allowed to be alone with children." Peta tried to head off any further questions.

"So you know they found kiddy porn on his computer?" Peta didn't say anything but the policeman knew she didn't. "And he's suspected of molesting his own daughter?" Again Peta remained silent. "How about that he plead guilty and he's a convicted and registered sex offender?"

Peta could feel her bottom lip quivering but she desperately didn't want to cry. Not here in front of someone.

"Has he ever been alone with your boys?"

Peta shook her head not trusting her voice.

"Are you sure?"

This time she nodded, more slowly. How could she be sure? She was on the harvester a lot while he was around the sheds and silos.

"Look you are probably safe. These low-lifes pick out vulnerable women like yourself. Single mums who've had a rough time, widows. They gain their trust, form a relationship then when the victims dependant on them they do the freaky shit."

Peta tried to stifle it but a low groan escaped her lips as she thought about his hands touching her. The policeman put his arm around her shoulders.

"Don't worry. We'll take care of him. He won't bother you anymore."

Richard was worried. Peta should have been here by now. A quick scan had shown up a blockage in Marci's brain and she was now on a drip with some new clot busting drug. The doctor and nurses still fussed over her so he decided to try and find out what was keeping Peta. As he pushed through the door into the corridor he was pleased to see Peta was there. She was with the Senior Sergeant who'd followed him. He had his arm around her.

"Hey," he said a little unsure. "The doctor thinks we got here in time. Marci's just in there. She..." He stopped talking when he saw Peta's face.

Her eyes were red rimmed like she'd been crying but there were no tears. Her face went from sadness to unrestrained fury in about two seconds as she strode towards him.

"Peta?" Richard reached for her but she swerved away from him.

"Stay away from me and my family, you sick fuck! If I ever see you on my property again, I'll shoot you dead!"

"What the fuck did he say to you?"

"The truth you cunt. Now get out of my way."Peta brushed past him and through the door he'd just come out of.

Richard's heart lurched in his chest. He felt hurt and angry. Angry at himself for getting his hopes up, for not telling her sooner. Angry at the grinning policeman standing further up the corridor.

"Give me my keys." Richard snarled as he walked towards him.

"I thought you might like to come down to the station for a little chat."

"Fuck off. I've done nothing wrong. Just give me my ticket and I'll be gone."

"No." The Senior Sergeant stood tall attempting intimidation.

Richard's face broke into a grin and he stepped past the burly policeman continuing down the corridor.

"You've got a long walk ahead of you."

"Nah, I'll just use my spare set you dickhead." Richard replied with a laugh.

He probably shouldn't have laughed and he definitely should have run. The baton hit him in the backs of his knees and he went down. The big policeman's knee pressed into the middle of his back while the baton pushed his head into the floor. The Senior Sergeant lent down and hissed in his ear.

"Grooming vulnerable women with children is illegal you pedo fuck."

Richard tried to turn over.

"Come on resist, please resist. I would love to bust you up cunt." The policeman pressed his baton harder into Richard's head.

Richard went limp. He allowed the Senior Sergeant to cuff him and lead him towards the exit. To make it even worse Tony Smith came around the corner.

"Are you alright Benny?" He said to the policeman. "I heard a commotion."

"Yeah. Just taking out the pedo trash."

Tony looked at Richard then back at the Senior Sergeant.

"Is he a rock spider?"

The policeman nodded.

"I always thought there was something funny about him." Tony replied as he watched Benny push him out the doors.

Peta was heading home around 2am. At her front gate Tony Smith's big ute flashed past coming from the opposite direction. She parked in the garage and was walking back to the house when she smelt smoke. Her tired body begged her to go to bed but she needed to find out where the smoke was coming from.

As she drove the side by side up the hill as her brain tried to figure out what could be burning after three days of rain? Maybe a dead tree hit by the lightening. When she got to the top of the hill it didn't take long to figure out what it was. Looking down towards the old Mason place she could see Richard's caravan well alight. 'I should call the Rural fire brigade captain,' she thought. But it was 2am. And it was the sick fuck's van. It's was never going to spread anywhere else when everything's so wet.

Peta swung the side by side around and went home to bed.