Secrets Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And the rest of it?" I said when Muscone paused with a painful look on his face.

"Sandra Speer has officially transferred to New York City." Jack said. "She has family there that is helping keep Greta. And... I told Martin Nash I would support his transfer to anywhere he wanted to be. He understood what that meant... that he had to find somewhere else to be."

I nodded. "I understand." I said.

"I'm not sure you do." said Muscone. "The loyalty you inspire in your people, Don, is the envy of every leader. You and Cindy bark at each other on occasion, but my daughters bark at each other every once in a while, too. And the loyalty that Teresa Croyle feels for you cannot be bought at any price, and is worth far more than all the gold in the world. I thought I had that in my team... but I didn't."

"I could not agree more about the loyalty." I said. "But I do understand some of what you are feeling. Sandra has taken my daughter to New York. I don't get to see Greta, I don't get to be there for my daughter when she might need me. You were divorced, away from your daughters, so you have an idea of how that feels. And you know... that it hurts."

Muscone nodded. "True. But I'm just talking about the loyalty your people have for you, including the Sheriff above you and the Officers below. And your friends... like me, I hope."

"No need to hope, my friend." I said. "I know you weren't behind any of this." Jack could not keep his relief off of his face at my words. "And, of course, I'm expecting you to take good care of my Angel when you marry her."

"I'm sure my Best Man will be scrutinizing me very closely, there." said Jack. I nodded. Jack then said "Well, I'll let you get some rest. I've got a team to completely reshuffle."

"We'll talk more later this week." I said. We made our goodbyes and he left.

I thought of Jack's words. Yes, having a good, close-knit team is very good and very effective. A team coming apart, divided, is as bad as bad can be. I had a great team of Officers and Detectives... and the best team of Angels in the world.

Lucky. Lucky Iron Crowbar, I thought to myself...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

An hour or so later, the door opened, and the Town & County Sheriff came in. He looked relieved now, but the worry of a weekend of 'not knowing' was still etched on his elderly features.

"You are not doing my blood pressure any good, you know." Griswold growled lovingly.

"I didn't do much for mine, either, so I'm told." I replied.

"What the hell happened?" asked the Sheriff. "First that ambush, then this. And didn't you set your alarm?"

"I sure thought I did." I said. "But my best alarm systems that can't be turned off, Bowser and Buddy, were at The Cabin guarding the kids."

The door opened again, and in walked the Deputy Director of the FBI (Retired). "Hello, Sheriff. Hi, Don. I'm glad to see you look to be all right."

"Feeling good, Mr. Director." I said.

"Any idea who it was?" the DepDirector asked. "And what it was about?"

Oh yes, I thought to myself, but out loud I only said "I'm not definitively sure, sir. But I do know they induced a dream sequence about McGinty's Materials. And if they don't know by now that I don't have them, then I guess no one is ever going to believe it."

The DepDirector nodded. "Well, we can use this to our advantage. The word about the abductions, particularly of Laura, are getting out to the Intelligence Community. We're putting out now that it was you that was tortured, and over McGinty's Materials, and that you couldn't say where they were. If someone does have them, then I guess they have them. But we're trying to get it out there that you don't."

"The only thing I don't like about that plan, sir," I said, "is that I did not think of it myself first." The DepDirector gave his pursed smile at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last but not least, EAD Lange came in. "Sittin' on your lazy ass while there's work to be done, eh?" he said in his scratchy voice. I had to steel myself against his 'pawky' vein of humor, not unlike that sometimes exhibited by the Green Crowbar.

"You know it, Mr. Director." I said with a wan smile. "Just twiddlin' my thumbs."

The EAD nodded. "I just came by to challenge you to another bout in the ring. I can't beat you when you're at full power, but maybe I'll have a shot when you're down."

I chuckled. "You're on." I said. "But I gotta wait until they let me out of here."

The EAD nodded. "I'll take a raincheck." After a pause he said "I know Muscone told you of changes he'll be making in his office. I hope they'll help restore your faith in us."

"Not that he had lost it, nor you." I said. "But I think he's taking the right steps. It's a new era, requiring new thinking... and new people. No less dangerous for us and the Constitution than it ever was, though."

"Not that I don't agree," said the EAD, "but what thinking do you have in mind on this?"

I looked at the EAD and said "I've come to a realization that there is a new power behind the front lines, someone who is trying to fill the vacuum left by the Consultant of Crime. And this new 'Shadow Hand' is beginning to exert his... or her... power. We need to be well on our guard, Mr. Assistant Director... we need to be on our guard..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:00pm, Sunday, August 4th. Fully dressed, I went into Laura's room. She was dressed, also. "Ready to go home?" I asked. Laura looked at me, shocked.

"They told me you weren't going to be discharged until tomorrow morning." my wife said.

"I redirected their suppositions." I said "Besides, I've got to take the dogs out, feed the cats, and so on."

Laura just shook her head. I went over and hugged her, and she hugged me back. Strongly. "Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

"Yes." I said. "Are you okay?"

"Yes." Laura said. "Physically, I'm fine. They didn't harm me or... assault me in any way. They just left me tied up while they had you in the other room." I nodded and Laura said "Why? Why did they do this?"

"McGinty's Materials." I said. "Some serious desperation to find that stuff, I guess. But maybe word will get around that I don't have them, neh?"

"I hope so." Laura said. "And I hope we can end this nightmare... pun not intended. It's getting to be too much. And how did Teresa and Todd find us?"

I smiled. "Power of the Vibe. Six-year-old going on sixteen."

Laura was shocked. "Are you kidding me?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Carole's story matched mine. Come on, I'll tell you about it on the way home..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy!"

That cry of greeting was followed by the streak of a pink shirt flying across the room as Tasha ran up to me at top speed when we entered The Cabin. She threw her little arms around my legs in a hug. I bent over and picked her up, ignoring the pain in my back, and gave her a big hug. "Hey, Little Love." I said. "Have you been a good girl for your mom?"

"Yes, Daddy." said Tasha. "She's been worried about you. I was worried about you, too, but Carole was very brave, and told me not to worry. So I tried not to."

"Aww." I said. "Well, Carole is right, and I'm fine. So don't worry about me, okay?" Tasha just hugged me again.

Meanwhile, Jim was giving his mother similar welcome-home treatment, then Carole, Ian, and Ross got their turns. Then we went into the dining room. Molly, Paulina, and my mother Phyllis wanted to know everything as we sat down at the dinner table.

"Well, there's not much to tell." I said. "Laura and I were asleep Friday night and then I woke up in an 'alternate reality'. Kind of like the 'Alternate Universe' in the Star Trek shows. And I had a week's worth of that alternate life."

"And you remember it?" Laura asked incisively as my mother put bowls of her medicinal chicken herb soup in front of us.

"Bits and pieces." I said, somewhat evasively. "The first time it happened," (Author's note: 'Dream Weaver'.), "I remembered almost all of it, but then Dr. Eckhart's treatment later on made me forget most of it. This one is a lot more spotty from the get-go."

"Are our children in danger?" asked Molly Evans.

"Maybe less danger now." said Laura. "They took their shot, and they failed to find out anything. And that's the story that certain 'friends' are putting out."

"But keep your eyes peeled." I said. "We'll probably have to forever be on guard, but the efficacy of McGinty's Materials will degrade over time if they're not found, and will degrade immediately if they are..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That night we stayed at The Cabin. I let Laura and Paulina have the master bedroom to themselves, and I pulled out the sofa-bed in the greatroom. I went out and put food out for the 'kittehs', and Tiger Mom was out there eating it just as soon as I went back inside. Molly told me that Jim and Ross had put out some food for the cat on Saturday, so I knew she'd eaten consistently.

After getting all the kids into bed, I went and lay down in my pajamas on the bed in the greatroom. A few moments later, two outstanding dogs jumped onto the bed and settled down with me. This was a 'no no' on our regular beds, but I sensed they were making sure I was okay and staying okay. I gave them both good skritchins.

A moment later I heard the pitter-patter of little feet coming down the stairs. Carole appeared, whispering "Bowser..."

"They're over here, Fussbudget." I said. "What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep." said Carole. "Are you sure you're okay, Daddy?"

"I'm fine." I said, I sat up on the bed and Carole sat on the edge of the bed. As we petted the dogs, I asked "Why do you think I'm not okay?"

"I don't know, Daddy." Carole said. "But something's not right."

"Well, the doctors checked me out, and they said I'm fine." I said. "And your mom is a doctor, and she's checking to make sure I'm okay, too. So don't worry about it."

I don't know why, but I felt a 'vibe' when I said that last part... from Carole. Something was not right, she said. Hmmm, does she know something?

We went and got some chocolate milk from the refrigerator in the kitchen, and I escorted Carole back to (her) bed and tucked her in, then returned to my bed downstairs. This time Bowser stayed with her, while Buddy maintained his post on my bed with me. I fell asleep, dreaming of being a kid and exploring the woods with my childhood dogs...

Part 17 - The Way Forward

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, August 5th, from the KXTC studios. "With me is trusted reporter Lester Holder! Welcome back, Lester!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Lester Holder, from his perch on the building the corner of Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "It's great to be back, reporting the news and issues the People have a right to know about!"

Bettina: "We'll be right back with you in a moment, Lester. In local news, the Town & County Police are apparently making no effort to investigate the beating of our colleague Lester Holder, despite fresh evidence that rapper T-Square or his security detail may have been involved in that crime. Channel Two News has learned that slain journalist Louella Hopper was about to publish a column implicating the superstar rap singer in the assault on our colleague. And now let's go to Lester Holt for more news. Lester!"

"Thank you again, Bettina." said Holder. "Channel Two News has learned that U.S Department of Justice Civil Rights Division investigator Jocelyn Moran believes that there is sufficient evidence to charge Town & County Mayor Daniel Allgood with violating the civil rights of black Town & County Council Member Reginald B.F. Lewis, and using his Mayoral office to suppress the rights of minorities, particularly blacks."

Penis Holder: "Asked if he would suspend Mayor Allgood if the Mayor is formally charged with race-hatred crimes, Governor Val Jared said that no charges had been filed so there was no point in discussing hypotheticals. However, sources tell Channel Two News that the Governor has no intent of suspending the white Mayor of any charges of suppressing minorities, especially blacks."

Penis Holder: "However, the Governor did say that he is monitoring the campaign finance violations case against Council Member Kelly Carnes, and likely would suspend her if she is indicted. Asked if he was treating Mayor Allgood differently from Council Member Carnes because he is a Republican and she is a Democrat, the Governor said only that he would review each case individually. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Lester, what do you think of the slow progress of Commander Donald Troy and the TCPD's investigation of your case?"

Holder: "It's very obvious that Commander Troy has no interest in solving the case and bringing justice to the perpetrator, since I'm black and a journalist, and Commander Troy hates both. So no, I don't expect any effort by the local Police to try to solve my case."

"I couldn't agree more, Lester." Bettina said. "In other news, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone responded to rumors that Commander Donald Troy and his wife, University Professor Laura Fredricson, were attacked and possibly kidnapped over the weekend. Commander Troy was briefly hospitalized for extreme dehydration, while Dr. Fredricson was unharmed. Roll tape."

Tape rolled showing SAC Muscone saying "Due to inaccurate reporting by irresponsible journalists, we believe that an attack was made upon the Troy family with regard to the so-called McGinty's Materials papers. We do know that Commander Troy does not have these papers, and that attacks upon Commander Troy and his family won't make them appear out of thin air. We also know that we will pursue any criminals who attack the Troy family with every bit of Federal Government power we possess, until the threats to the Troy family are entirely eradicated."

Back to Bettina live: "When contacted by Channel Two News, SAC Muscone refused to elaborate further on what he meant by 'eradicating' threats to the Troy family. And as usual, Commander Troy has disregarded his obligation to the Public by refusing to respond to our repeated requests for comment. Let's go to Sports with Jeff Hull, for a report about the University's Bulldogs football team summer camp. Jeff!...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Did I just see that correctly?" Cindy Ross asked as we sat in the Chief's Conference Room and drank coffee. "Are we on the right channel? That was KXTC?"

I chuckled. "Yep." I said. "Why don't you explain that, Jack."

"Certainly." growled Jack Muscone, who was here with us. "As Commander Troy likes to say, it is possible that the FCC told KXTC and every other station in the State to play my comment unedited or face the loss of their broadcasting license. KSB was giving us some lip about it, but I think they know we'd like to make an example out of them and that bastard Sioban."

"Time will tell on that." I said.

"Mis-ter Crowbarrrr." drawled the Chief. "You really did not need to come in this morning. Are you sure you don't need more rest?"

"Well, sir," I said, "according to my Captain of Operations, all I do around here is sit at my desk and twiddle my thumbs..." The room erupted in laughter, including from Teresa Croyle herself.

"Sooooooo," said the Chief, "did anything come of Louella Hopper's column about T-Square being behind Lester Holder's beatdown?"

"The SBI sent Agent Terence Johnson and someone else to interview T-Square, and they consider the matter closed." Tanya Perlman said.

"And the TCPD's investigation?" asked the Chief.

"On that, sir," I said, "I think we're back to me twiddling my thumbs." More laughter at that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh my God! Commander? You're here?" gasped Julia Rodriguez as I stepped into MCD. Everyone started applauding.

"I beg your pardon!" I said angrily, stopping the impromptu celebration Then I grinned and said "Just kidding. Thanks for the sentiment, but it's not needed. I'm fine. And you guys have work to do, and you're getting short-staffed. So be thinking of who you might want to join you in MCD when Lt. Davis asks you, which he will be doing."

"Sir, I have a different question." said Theo Washington. "Is it true that the Supervisor rank is going away, and that all the Precinct Captains will be promoted to full Captains?"

"Er... it is being discussed." I said, knowing that the Charter Commission was discussing that. "And I'm not going to say anything now, but there will definitely be changes in the Police structure... not so much the people but the actual ranks..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In lieu of the Angels meeting, the coffee klatch moved to the Main Conference Room. Joining us was EAD Owen Lange, FBI Consultant Jerome Davis, and FBI Consultant Joanne Warner.

"We've had the pleasure," said the EAD, "of having had a really good working relationship with the Town & County Police Force, and having some of you working with us as FBI Consultants. And that hopefully will continue. I'd even love to get Commander Ross back, or get Captain Croyle in. And Captain Perlman as a Consultant to our field CSIs."

"You are trying to take away my entire Police Leadership, Mr. Assistant Director." Chief Moynahan said.

"Not gonna happen, Chief." Cindy Ross said with alacrity.

"Nope. It's not." I said most very agreeably.

"No, and I have no illusions about that." said the EAD. "You've got a great team, here. I like what Midtown PD is doing, too. But I also know that the FBI has a lot of good people, and a lot of corruption, as well. I'm looking to have a core group of good people, not necessarily Agents, but a good team of people I can call upon when needed. Sort of like an Impossible Missions Force on TV, but this one is real life."

"And if you know anyone who might be a good fit for the new team I'm creating," said Jack Muscone, "just send the names my way."

"Good people are hard to find." I said. "And I've got the very best here with me, and I'll fight to keep 'em." I stood up and said "Mr. EAD, I believe you challenged me to another match in the ring. No time like the present, sir. Let's go to the gym."

"What?!" gasped Cindy. "You just got out of the hospital!"

"I was just kidding, you know." said the EAD. Then he stood up and said "But this might be my only chance to beat you..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He wanted to use crowbars, and we did. For three rounds of three minutes each, we 'boxed' in the corner of the gym, where the only boxing ring was set up. I was really in no shape to be doing this, but I knew that I'd find out the most about myself when I was tired and down... like doing the two minute drills at the end of football practice, when the players are at their most worn out.

I didn't win, and I didn't lose. The EAD gave it all he had, but I held him off easily enough, and I didn't try anything particularly aggressive.

At the end of third round, Teresa rang the bell and Cindy called out "TIME! That's three rounds; I'm calling this one a draw!" The EAD and I bowed to each other then shook hands.

"You were playing with me in there, Commander." the EAD said accusingly.

"No sir." I said. "But I admit I kept it defensive on my part. I really am not in shape to push it."

"And I couldn't get anywhere even with that." said the EAD. "But I'll take the draw and the asterisk with it. Muscone! You better get in shape. I'm sending you in there next."

"I think Lady Ironside has dibs, sir." said Muscone. "She said something about running him over in the ring. That would be my only chance of winning." We all laughed at that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *