See You In Your Dreams

Story Info
Miles gets a push to move on.
1k words
4.62
5.9k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I watched him as he walked away from the two graves. The leaves had begun falling from the trees scattered around the small cemetery and had covered the resting places of his most beloved.

Miles was silly, in a way, as he brought along his own rake to clear the leaves from his wife and son's resting places. He didn't care that the groundskeepers would clear them away weekly, it gave him a sense of peace to clear the leaves himself.

I watched as he got into his lonely car, gave a last sad look at the headstone that had his wife and son's names etched for eternity, and pulled down the drive.

I looked at the marble marker that adorned the site where his family lay and decided that I couldn't wait any longer. It was time for me to play matchmaker as he was going to miss a great opportunity by wallowing in his past's misery.

I was tired of seeing such a once vibrant man's body shake with tears of sorrow. He needed to move on, and I had the means to make it happen if he'd let it. I was going to help him fall in love again.

*****

Miles walked into the restaurant where he'd eaten three times a week since he lost his wife two years earlier. He sat at the same table, looked at the same menu, and ordered the same meal.

That day I watched him from a close distance and groaned inwardly as he ignored the flirting of his regular waitress.

Her name was Jessica, and he didn't know it, but she experienced her own loss. She had a daughter named Kylie, and Kylie died from SIDS six months before Miles lost his wife and child to a drunk driver.

I moved past his table and said, "You should ask her out. She likes you."

I didn't give him a chance to respond as I continued moving away from him. He looked up with an odd expression and shrugged it off.

I watched from the bar area as Jessica returned with his vodka martini and hoped that would be the time he noticed her affection for him.

"Thank you," Miles said when she sat down the foggy adult beverage.

"Shaken not stirred, Mr. Bond," she said with a smile.

"Come on, now's your chance," I whispered to myself.

Miles felt a surge of positive energy flow through him and decided to use some of the wit his wife once loved.

"Thank you, Miss Galore," Miles said with a real smile which extended to his eyes.

Jessica giggled and said, "Careful, Mr. Bond. You play dangerous games."

Miles winked and said, "Those always have the best prizes."

She smiled and said, "Your dinner will be up shortly."

She walked away and looked back over her shoulder at the well-dressed, handsome young man. He returned her smile and shook his head.

"What the hell was that, Miles?" he asked himself. He let his mood sour as he sipped his drink. His thoughts about Jessica faded into memories of his wife and child.

I noticed his countenance change and sighed, "Fight those thoughts, Man. It's time to move on."

He put his head down, I moved passed his table, and said, "Ask her out."

He looked up, but I was already gone. I smiled when he shook his head thinking he was hearing things. I was beginning to enjoy the little game I played with him. It had been a long time since I'd played a game.

I watched her set his plate down as she said, "Caesar salad with steak. I had them put some extra steak on for you at no charge."

He smiled and said, "Thank you. You do always take good care of me."

"I wish you'd let me," she whispered to herself as she walked away. Fortunately for her, she wasn't as quiet as she thought, and he heard her.

Miles watched her walk away hoping she'd give him another smile, but she didn't, and he thought she had taken on a sadder posture than before.

A short while later, she returned with his after-dinner coffee and the check. It was the same routine for him, and she knew the drill.

He surprised her by asking, "It's almost closing time, do you get off soon?"

He gave her a disarming smile and she answered, "I'm off in ten minutes actually. You're my last table."

"Do you have plans after work? I mean, I was thinking about getting a glass of wine across the street at the Jazz Club."

She was shocked. Her first reaction was to look down at her sensible shoes.

He noticed the delay, and said, "I'm sorry, I don't know why I..."

"No, it's okay. I'd like that if you're willing to be seen with me the way I'm dressed."

He laughed as he looked her up and down. "Get rid of the apron, and you're dressed perfectly."

She playfully slapped his shoulder, "Now I know you're lying."

He handed her his credit card and said, "I'll wait for you here if that's okay?"

"It's no problem. I'll handle your bill and that'll be it for me."

She spun with new-found energy and walked to the register to ring him out. She couldn't believe he finally asked her out. I laughed when she looked up to the sky and said, "Thank you."

*****

Miles led her to a small table and ordered a bottle of wine for them to share. I watched from a good distance as they made small talk and smiled.

I was surprised when I heard from behind me, "It's going well."

I smiled and said, "Yeah, and all it took was a little push."

My new companion laughed and said, "I'm glad you did. I thought I was going to have to get involved."

I held out my hand and the young lady took it.

"I think we can go now," I said as I watched Miles and Jessica laugh at whatever silly joke he told her. Mom always loved his jokes.

"Come on, your mom's waiting," she said to me, and we were enveloped in a warm light.

My mom stood beside me and smiled, "You did well, Sweetie. It's time to go home."

Mom watched as Kylie and I walked away. She looked one more time at the love of her life and blew him a kiss.

"See you in your dreams, my love."