Sekhemkhet's Promise Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they arrived, William ushered Anabeth into the building before going back to the car. William sent his driver to fetch Mr Banks and bring him to them -- if Sekhemkhet's reaction had been bad enough to be heard from the main hall of the museum and cause storm clouds to form, then Thomas should be clued in, William told Anabeth. The whole situation was baffling -- it was utter lunacy -- but they couldn't be too careful. No one knew what Sekhemkhet was capable of.

Mr Banks arrived not too long after and the three of them sat in the large downstairs room, shielded from the outside world, as Beth told both of the men what had transpired in the office. Banks grumbled a bit during the story and his eyebrows furrowed deeply into his eyeline when Beth told them of the desk being thrown across the room.

"He's dangerous," she said. "More than I ever realised."

Banks nodded. By this time, William was sitting beside Anabeth, holding one of her hands for support. His other hand rubbed her back in an attempt to comfort her. "You said Wadjet is protecting this building?" Mr Banks asked William.

William nodded in response. "She gave me a talisman to put above the door, which I did as soon as you both left."

Mr Banks nodded again. "Good." He turned to Anabeth. "You'd be safer staying here until we can organise transport home. Is there a spare bedroom?" Banks looked pointedly at William, who nodded.

"Annie can take my bedroom and I'll take the smaller room," William squeezed her hand.

Before Beth could protest how unnecessary that would be, Mr Banks began to talk again. "Good. I'll have one of the women at the villa pack your things and send them on here, as soon as the rain lets up."

"Rain?" Beth asked, her brow furrowed. She stood and walked to the window, with William trailing behind her.

When the shutter was opened Beth's mouth fell open.

"Holy cow," William muttered.

It wasn't simply raining -- it was pouring. The street where William's rooms were situated was on a slight incline and rainwater ran down like a river.

"I wouldn't worry," Mr Banks said, not having moved from his position. "It isn't uncommon for a bit of sudden flooding to happen when it rains. If it does, it should only be a day or two until the water clears." Banks stood up from the couch and picked up his hat. "I'll have your things sent and I'll get word to you as soon as transport is arranged."

"You're not going out there, surely?" Anabeth gasped from the window.

"Best to go now before the flooding starts," Mr Banks smiled a little. "Don't worry, I've dealt with worse."

"Take the car," William called after Mr Banks as he headed for the door. "My driver will get you back faster."

"Right-o," Mr Banks called from the doorway. The only indication that he had left was the soft clicking of the door.

The rain didn't stop until after four that afternoon. William was rummaging through cupboards to find something that he could cook them for dinner (he assured Anabeth that he knew at least how to light a stove in order to use it, and that the rest was trivial) when the constant background noise of rainfall ceased completely.

When they approached the window, the shutters still open from earlier, they found that the road was no longer a river -- it was merely damp. The usually busy street began to hum with life again only minutes later and Anabeth wondered how many of these people were as bewildered as they were by the sudden change in weather.

William left quickly then to gather essentials for them to remain in the house for the next two days. He returned an hour later with a meal for two from Nyla's, claiming that groceries would arrive in the morning.

When they sat for dinner together, Anabeth brought up a subject which had been worrying her a little -- not enough to spoil their time together, but enough to make her curious.

"Are you worried," Anabeth began to speak softly, "that I am... tainted?"

William frowned, looking up from his dinner. "What? Because of the Pharaoh?" Anabeth nodded. "Not at all. Does it bother you that I've slept with other women?"

Beth shook her head. "No, but it's not the same. You know that."

William took her hand and lifted her knuckles to his mouth. "For most people. We can always change the rules, though, you know."

"So, it doesn't change your mind about me?"

He smiled. "Not a chance."

************

The pair tried kept busy for the next day and a half. There was a chess set in the sitting room, which William brought out onto the terrace and taught Anabeth to play. They lay in bed for hours, fully clothed, talking about their pasts and their hopes for the future. They must have kissed every inch of each other's exposed skin in those hours.

Mr Banks arrived back at the house on Tuesday morning. He came in the carriage, with all of Anabeth's belongings in the back. Together, William and Banks carried the cases and chest up to her bedroom, where she was able to sort through her clothing and change into something more appropriate.

Anabeth was told that they would be able to leave in the morning, the same way that they had come -- a boat to Italy, the train to the north of France, another short boat ride across the channel, and then a train back to London. Before Anabeth could ask, Mr Banks, somewhat subtly, mentioned that three tickets had been reserved for each leg of the journey. Anabeth did not ask Banks how he had known to do that. It seemed the man made it his business to just know.

"Father will be so mad," Anabeth fretted once she was changed. Mr Banks was sitting on a chaise in her room while she sorted through the contents of one case, deciding what to wear to Sophia's dinner. "If I come home without the exhibit, the deal will be broken."

Mr Banks chuckled a little. "What exhibit?"

Anabeth frowned. "What do you mean?"

He looked up at her in surprise, as though he had said something he shouldn't have. "I am sorry to say that Sekhemkhet destroyed it."

A hand flew to Anabeth's throat. "He what?"

Mr Banks cleared his throat and spread his hands. "I apologise, that came out indelicately." William joined them at the bed. "After you left, Sekhemkhet was in such a rage that he destroyed everything. It took him hours. Interestingly," Mr Banks raised his eyebrows, "the rain stopped at the same time he did. The museum has been closed since."

"How do you know this?" William asked, his palm rubbing soothing circles into Beth's lower back.

"Karim," Mr Banks told him. "We have been in constant contact during this trip. He informed me this morning."

William and Anabeth looked at each other. They had been so carefree, safe and sound within these rooms, that they hadn't thought about what was happening outside. They had forgotten the imminent danger that they were in.

"We don't have to go to my aunt's tonight," William assured her. "We'd be safer staying here and just leaving for the train in the morning."

"No," Anabeth refused. "I do not want my last memory of this country to be cowering in my room." She looked to Mr Banks. "Would you care to join us?"

Mr Banks shook his head. "I cannot, I'm afraid. I have to meet with Peter Carter this afternoon to discuss our departure, and what will happen with the exhibit. It might belong to Sekhemkhet, but he signed contracts with the British museum and accepted payment from the museum in Rome. If there is no exhibit, then this becomes a legal matter."

Anabeth nodded. "It's settled then. You and I," she looked to William, "will visit Sophia tonight. Then we all depart for England in the morning."

************

Sophia's villa was warmly lit from the inside, casting a welcoming glow from the windows onto the drive in front.

The building was new and, while it had clearly been inspired by some of the architecture already existing in Cairo, it was a British or French construction. The stairs to the front door reminded her of London, and her own home had a very similar garden.

The car stopped at the bottom of the stairs and, before the driver could open it, William was at her door, pulling it open and offering her his hand.

He smiled at her warmly and gave her hand a squeeze as she stepped out. "Are you ready?"

Anabeth smiled back at him. "As ready as I'm likely to get."

They walked up the stairs and the door opened in front of them -- though how the footman knew that they were there, she had no idea, as the doors were thick, ornately carved wood with no window.

"Gregory," William beamed at the older man on his way in. "How are things?"

"All is well, thank you, sir," Gregory nodded at William, his lips never moving even a centimetre towards a smile. "The Baroness is in the sitting room with the other guests."

The hall was grand and covered in wooden panels which were just as ornately carved as the front door. Anabeth looked around surreptitiously at the expensive ornaments adorning the side tables. There was a stunning portrait of a gentleman just to the left of the hall, as well, which must have been the same height as Anabeth and likely weighed the same as her.

"Thanks, Greg," William nodded, holding his arm out for Beth to take, before leading her towards the sitting room. "Are we the last to arrive?" He called over his shoulder.

"No, sir," Gregory replied, following them.

Anabeth almost gasped as they entered the sitting room. Sophia was sitting on one of several plush couches, with a number of guests, all situated on various armchairs and chaises, thought some were standing, around a low, square table. Including Anabeth and William, there were seventeen people here, and more were to come. William hadn't been jesting when he said that it was a formal dinner.

"Finally," Sophia rose from her chair as soon as they entered the room. She smiled heartily at them, and her guests turned to look at them. "Please let me introduce my nephew, William, and the beautiful Anabeth Brightbury," Sophia announced them to her guests. Some looked at her with curiosity, others simply smiled politely. It was clear who had heard of what she was doing in Egypt.

"Aunt Sophia," William kissed her on both cheeks, before standing back and allowing Anabeth to do the same. He kept a hand on the small of her back -- whether it was for support or comfort, Beth did not know, but she enjoyed the warmth of it.

"I'm so glad that you're here," Sophia whispered to Anabeth. "Let me introduce you to everyone."

************

Before the group moved to the dining room, another six people joined the fray, for a total of twenty-three. The dining room was, of course, large enough to comfortably seat them all, with Sophia to the head and Anabeth to her left. William was seated further down the table, as it was considered bad manners to sit beside people you were already well acquainted with. "I've made an exception for you," Sophia winked at Anabeth. "We don't want you becoming overwhelmed."

The dinner comprised of eight courses and, despite Sophia's assurance, by the second course, Beth's head was spinning with information, names, places, and stories. Everything began to merge into one long humming, and she was most definitely overwhelmed.

She remembered the names of a few of the men and women -- the ones who stuck out due to accents or how they were dressed or, in one case, a particularly funny story of when they last visited Sweden. Beth had recounted her story of how she had ended up in Egypt to everyone -- she knew this was expected of her. An invitation to a dinner such as this brought with it the expectation of providing some sort of entertainment.

During the fourth course, when those closest to the head of the table were engaged in a particularly heated political debate, Sophia spoke gently to Anabeth. "My nephew tells me that he is planning to propose tonight." It was blunt, but Sophia didn't seem like the kind of person to be tactful, unless the occasion demanded it.

Anabeth smiled. "I believe he does."

Sophia told a sip from her wine and held the glass thoughtfully between two fingers. Her mouth pulled down at the corners ever so slightly. "This is something that you want?"

Anabeth thought for a moment. She saw no need to lie to Sophia and, she believed, that Sophia would see through her if she tried. "In all honesty," Beth began, "I never wanted to marry at all. I adore William," she stated, looking Sophia in the eye. "To be clear -- the objection is not to the man. I simply abhor the idea of belonging to someone other than myself."

"You worry that William will treat you as his property," Sophia stated.

"No!" Anabeth disagreed immediately. That was not what she had meant. "William and I have spoken about this issue. It's just... I am so sick of men pretending that they understand me -- that they're sympathetic to the plight of women. They act as though they know what trouble we face; the fear of always being owned by a man, but they don't. William... he believes that we can avoid that -- that we can be wed but that I will still be my own. But once we are engaged then he is still my new master. I never wanted that." Sophia listened diligently, nodding slightly.

"I remember feeling the same way about my first betrothal," Sophia admitted. "He was a perfectly normal man. He saw the troubles that women faced, and he sympathised and did his best to remember to comment on how awful it all was. Yet he accepted it all as a part of life. He could change things if he wanted to -- take our betrothal, for example. I voiced my disdain for the custom of asking a woman's father before asking her. He did it anyway."

"Is that why you broke it off?" Anabeth asked, admiring the older woman for her courage. Especially in a time so long ago. Things were changing now for women, but it had been a difficult fight.

"No," Sophia laughed. "He was caught with his trousers down with another young girl and was forced to marry her. A close call if there ever was one." Anabeth struggled not to giggle but gave in when Sophia raised an eyebrow at her. "William is much more like my second husband. Believe it or not, there are some good men out there -- men whose passion in life is not to trap women into marriage and children and drudgery. I believe that William is one of them."

Anabeth smiled lightly. "I was already planning on accepting," she assured Sophia, but Sophia shook her head.

"I do not want you to think that I was trying to sway your choice," she took a bite off her fork and paused politely as she ate. "I simply wanted to assuage any fears that you might have. As well as give you my wholehearted approval."

"Thank you," Anabeth dipped her head. "Though I fear more for my parent's approval. My father will have an embolism when he learns that William is American."

Sophia laughed loudly at this, causing a few heads to turn. She ignored them -- it was her dinner party after all.

The rest of the courses went quickly, and Anabeth found herself taking a few bites of food simply to be polite, though she was full to bursting.

"Shall we retire to the drawing room?" Sophia asked the table, conversations hushing at the slightest rise in her voice.

Chairs began to pull out as people excused themselves. Before Anabeth could move, William was there beside her, pulling her chair out for her. "Do you mind if I show Anabeth the gardens?" He asked Sophia who simply nodded and waved him away.

"Come on," he whispered to her as she stood. "They're spectacular at night."

************

The gardens to the rear of the house were split into sections by small stone paths, which were illuminated by candles in small brass lanterns.

William guided Anabeth past the shrubs and hedges and into a walled area to the centre of the garden, filled with flowers and more, smaller candles. There was a small stone bench in the centre of the space, where William sat, taking Anabeth's hand as she sat with him.

William cleared his throat. "I don't know about you, but I've been thinking about this non-stop for a week."

Anabeth smiled at him and cupped his cheek. "I have as well."

"Anabeth Brightbury," William began, smiling at her, lovingly. "From the moment I met you, a few weeks ago, I was captivated."

Anabeth laughed suddenly at the absurdity of the situation they were in. Then she began to laugh harder because despite the undead Pharoah, all she could think of was that they had known each other a very limited amount of time to become engaged. She laughed so hard that tears started to form in her eyes. William continued to watch her, though he didn't look hurt. His head was cocked to one side and he was smiling. "We barely know each other," Anabeth managed to gasp between laughs.

"There's not a thing about you that I don't love so far," William said. "And the rest can't be too bad, I imagine."

Suddenly William was in front of her, down on one knee, holding one of her hands in his, and Anabeth stopped laughing. "I am serious, Anabeth," he said earnestly. "I have travelled half the world alone, and there wasn't a minute that I felt as though something was missing. Then I met you and now... well, now my life is forever changed. I will go on exploring but, if you do not come with me, then I will spend the rest of my life knowing that the greatest thing I have ever discovered is not there. I would spend eternity a broken man, searching for something to fill the hole you would leave in me." William paused and pulled a small red leather box from his suit pocket.

Anabeth was enchanted by his words. Despite everything she felt -- the worries of being owned, the longing for independence, the fear that they had not known each other long enough -- it did not matter. She was in love with this man.

William opened the box and revealed a stunning ring, making Anabeth gasp. The slim gold band was topped with a large round diamond, with two smaller diamonds on each side. "I want to give you the world," William continued. "You can set the rules, I don't care. Just take me with you where you want to go. Tell me what you want and that is what we will do."

A keen longing filled Anabeth's ribcage as she imagined it -- this future. A husband by her side who was just content to be with her, a real life partner, an equal. Someone who would listen to what she wanted and consider her feelings. Someone who would allow her to grow and learn and live in the way that she wanted. Someone who would love her unconditionally.

"I love you," he said, simply. "Marry me?"

Beth looked at William. His sad blue eyes stared back at her, brimming with hope. He loved her. And she trusted him. Anabeth's face split with a smile.

"Yes," her voice broke on the small word -- the word that would change her whole future. "I love you, too. Yes! Of course I will."

William's entire demeanour shifted. Beth had not been aware of how nervous he was until his body relaxed and his head dipped as he let out a huge breath. "Oh, thank God," he whispered, his face coming back into view. William's eyes were full of love and relief and an overwhelming happiness. He leaned forward and they kissed -- a long, deep kiss full of promises for what was to come.

When they pulled back, William took the ring from the box and placed it on Anabeth's finger.

************

Anabeth was more than relieved when they arrived back home. It had been a whirlwind of an evening.

They had entered the dinner party again to copious amounts of congratulations and questions and exclamations of joy, despite not knowing any of the other guests. There had been drinks and toasts -- some to Anabeth and William, but others simply to love.

It was entirely unnecessary, but flattering nonetheless. The party seemed to get wilder, though, as the evening progressed. William and Anabeth had to make their excuses just after ten, explaining their travel plans for the next day. They had promised to let Sophia know when they arrived in England and issue her an invitation to visit soon.