Send in the Clowns Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

YIC: "I thought about taking the two paintings to Police Headquarters as evidence, and it was then I realized that we had a huge chance to capture both Langdon and Nadler and prove the veracity of the stolen Greuze once and for all. So I left the paintings there, and made sure that someone had eyes on the Gift Shop and its contents, mostly by posting TCPD and TCSD Officers and Deputies to guard the crime scene."

YIC: "After the Feds abandoned the conference room, I had Teresa bring in four Officers to relieve the ones on duty, but only three left... the fourth went to the conference room and stayed out of sight. We did that three times until after dark. Then we pulled the guards, seemingly abandoning the Museum for the night."

YIC: "And it seemed like forever, but they finally made their move. Nadler got the Curator to let him in, pretended to re-verify the Greuze, then the thief appeared and tied him up as well as the Curator. That was important to their plans, to re-verify the Greuze and to ensure that Nadler was not suspected. But I already had people observing and cameras recording everything. And when Teresa made a takedown of the thief Langdon worthy of a Police Boxing Matches Champion, it was allll over for them."

"You not only detected the crime, you put together a solution to get the evidence to bring them to trial." said Paulina Patterson. "That's why you're a Prosecutor's dream to work with."

"Please tell me you're going to be the Prosecutor for this case." Teresa said. "Savannah Fineman can't handle it."

"I don't know." Paulina said. "The D.A.'s Office has not been brought into it yet. I guess Miriam will decide that in the morning."

I said "I'm hoping that Nicholas Mancini, Walter Corning, and especially Dr. Nadler will reconsider their positions and their options, and will take plea deals. I expect Diane Langdon to fight all the way, and I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Swamp Frogs try to get her away from us and into Federal custody. But Nadler? He's a threat to them if he talks, and he needs to understand the (air quotes) 'existential' danger he is in."

"So let me ask this." said Molly Evans. "How did you realize there was a real Greuze? And where it was?"

I said "I wasn't sure. But when Dr. Nicole Haven said the imitation Greuze had been painted in the 1930s, it just sprang into my mind that it had been painted by Ruth Heidelmann Baker's father. And it followed that he would paint a fake Greuze to fool the Nazis, who he correctly guessed would occupy Holland. He also put a thin piece of canvas over the real Greuze and painted the clown painting... there's those clowns again... and sent it with his daughter to England and then America."

I said "Soooo, I took a chance, and we went to see Mrs. Baker. I probably should've known from the start that it was the clown painting, but I thought it might be one of the others. As it turned out, things worked out."

All the adults applauded, then Teresa said: "I have one question. After giving the painting to the Gift Shop employee, Beth Morris, a.k.a. Diane Langdon, disappeared. She could not have left, as the doors were locked, and then we began interviewing everyone, and she wasn't there. So where did she go?"

"Excellent question." I said. "There was one room we did not investigate, and did not interview the persons within. What room was that?"

"The conference room where the Fedrulll people were." Carole said, again not even looking up from her drawing. All the adults in the room gasped.

"Outstanding, Carole." I said, then said to everyone: "Yes, the Feds, including the Rovers BAU Team, were in that conference room, which was shut off to everyone else, and that's where Langdon went.

YIC: "You know that video of the girls doing jump rope or gymnastics, and other copycat videos, where the gorilla walks along the back of the stage and no one notices? Same thing here: Langdon left the gift shop, walked through the lobby amongst all those people trying to get out, and into the conference room. She may have donned a wig, and she definitely had on another shirt that covered her server's shirt. And then she walked out with the rest of the Feds when they shut down."

"Using her CIA ID to get in?" Jack Muscone asked.

"Possibly." I said. "In any case, that's another example of Swamp Frog complicity."

"Sounds plausible." Teresa said

"I have one question." said Molly. "Who was behind it, if not George Aurus? Who went to all this trouble to put together a team to steal the painting, paid some good money to get Dr. Nadler to do all he did? And with it stolen, how could any money be made from it? The black market?"

I said "Answering your last question first, for the well-connected art thief or fence, there is a hungry bunch of wealthy recipients eager to pay top dollar for priceless works of art. I'm sure the man behind this has plenty of connections. Alternatively, it could have been ransomed.

I continued: "And it's someone that could get Nadler in, could get a CIA Officer, a Secret Service Agent, a U.S. Marine, and of course a number of Swamp Frogs to do his bidding. It was someone with unlimited avarice, an unquenchable thirst for huge amounts of money. Someone who would put together a wacky plan like that, and have the audacity to make it work. But I would never say Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel's name out loud. Why, that would be outright slanderous!"

Laura said "And I'll bet he's seething right now. Everyone needs to be on alert."

Teresa looked around and said "It's getting to be some boys's bedtimes, Todd, so we better round them up and get them home." That started the general breakup of the party.

"Daddy," Tasha said, "Carole is working really hard on that sketch."

"Yes, she is." I said. "Okay, girls, it's getting to be your bedtimes, too."

"Awwww." Carole muttered, a scowl on her face.

As Cindy and Callie rounded up Betsy and baby Ben, Cindy said "I'm getting a huge vibe from Carole, but I can't tell what it's about. But she is absolutely focused like a laser beam on that drawing..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After getting to their home next to The Cabin, Teresa and Todd put their tired boys to bed. Afterwards, despite the cold, they went onto the deck over the front portico of their house.

Teresa said "Sheriff Griswold gave me this sampler of that Barrell Seagrass Rye. It's finished in apricot brandy barrels." She poured Todd and herself a portion from the sample bottle into Glen Cairn glasses.

The glasses rang musically when they clinked them in a toast. "When a Glen Cairn rings, an angel gets its wings." Teresa said.

Todd said "You already have yours." He tasted the whiskey. "Mmm, yeah. It's an apricot-bomb. And very high proof."

Teresa tasted hers. "Yes, and the rye is nice and minty." She read the label Sheriff Griswold had made on the sample bottle. "It's over 59% ABV, 119 proof."

"Yeah it is." said Todd. "Sooo, what did you want to talk about?"

Teresa said "How much do you know about your grandmother, your mom's mom?"

Todd said "Pretty much what you know. As you know, my mom and Grandma did not get along very well, especially after Mom left home. She brought me and Ned to see my grandparents maybe three times total before I turned eighteen."

Teresa said "Do you know if your grandmother Phyllis had a sister?"

"Uhhh," Todd said, "Grandma never said anything to me about having a sister, but there's never been a reason for it to come up. Why?"

Teresa said "When we were interrogating Diane Langdon, and Don outed her as a CIA Agent, she said that her identity was classified at the highest levels. When she said that, Don said something like 'so is my aunt's'. He may have been being sarcastic, but it struck me that he might be telling the truth."

Teresa: "Cindy said that her father told her that Don's father was his only sibling, so I don't think Don has a paternal aunt. So I wondered if he had one on his mother's side. And I don't want to ask him directly; I got my own vibe that that might not be a good idea."

"Hmmm." said Todd. "Well, I'll ask Grandma when I talk to her again. I'll say that the boys were asking about their genealogy, and I wondered if there were any siblings at her or my grandfather's level."

Teresa nodded, then said "It may just be nothing. But it just struck me."

Todd grinned and said "I think that infamous Power of the Vibe is striking you. And the next thing you know, you'll be carrying a crowbar. Maybe even the Crowbar."

"That will be the day." Teresa said as she playfully punched her husband's shoulder...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After getting everything cleaned up and the kids settled and into bed, Molly went to her bedroom and Paulina and Laura to the master bedroom. I went out onto the back deck of The Cabin and sat down on the metal mesh loveseat, armed with my own Glen Cairn glass and a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay single malt Scotch whiskey.

As I looked out over my Town in the valley below, my mind was filled with a melancholy thought. Ruth Heidelmann Baker's father had done what he had had to do: he had sent his daughter away for her safety, knowing that he would never see her again.

I wondered how it would be if I had to do that for Carole or any of my other kids, send them to safety from an existential threat. It hurt to even think about it. I thought of how much it was hurting that my daughter Greta was separated from me, and that I couldn't see her. But that wasn't quite the same, I knew.

My great-grandmother had escaped the Nazis, and Laura had said my grandmother had, as well. I'd assumed upon hearing the stories as a child that my great-grandmother had been young when she escaped, but that was not the case. She had had at least one of her own, one of them being my mother's mother, who had already left Europe.

It was happening now, in a country in eastern Europe, where mothers and children were sent away while their husbands and fathers went to fight on the front lines against the brutally savage invading forces of an unspeakably evil dictator. Yes, even in the world of today, now, people were having to make the heart-wrenching decisions that Ruth Heidelmann Baker's parents had made.

It was more than my mind could really contemplate; after all, could that happen here in America? Yes, yes it could, I thought. All too easily if the Swamp Frogs became dominant in our Federal Government. Brendan Chapel was as hideously evil as that European Dictator; Brendan Chapel would stop at nothing to acquire that same level of Totalitarian power over others right here in the United States of America...

The pitter-patter of little de-feets brought me out of my dark reverie. The redoubtable Bowser had come up, and was looking at me with a strong desire to go back inside... and for me to go with him. Wordlessly, I rubbed the right side of Bowser's face and he pressed his cheek into my hand; he loved being petted that way. Then he broke off and went to the door, and I followed...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Going up to bed, I noticed that the light was shining under the door of the third bedroom. I cracked open the door and looked in.

We'd installed three twin beds in the room. Tasha was sound asleep in the bed nearest the door, and Marie was asleep in the middle bed. On the far side of the room, I saw that Carole had been working on her sketch by the light of the bedside lamp, and had pretty much passed out asleep.

I went in and carefully took the notepad and pencil out from under her and put it on the beside table, then tucked my sleeping daughter into bed. As I was about to turn out the bedside lamp, I noticed the sketch Carole had been working so hard on. I could see the columns of a building and a platform. It looked like... a train station.

Interesting, I thought to myself as I turned off the lamp and left the bedroom.

Part 16 - Aftermath

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, March 22d, from the Anchor Desk at the KXTC studios. "The found Lost Greuze was lost and found again!"

After the hard charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that the painting known as the 'Lost Greuze', which was put up for auction at the newly-renovated University Museum, was determined to be a fake by experts of the University's Art School. An expert from the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. had erroneously verified it as a painting by Jean-Baptiste Greuze."

Bettina: "The painting was found to be a fake after it was stolen during the University Museum's exhibition of it on Saturday. In a huge embarrassment to the TCPD and Police Commander Donald Troy, the painting was spirited away right under their noses. It was discovered in the Gift Shop later that night, after it was realized that what appeared to be a replica for sale was the actual painting that had been stolen in front of everyone."

Bettina: "In a strange twist, however, the real Greuze was discovered in the home of Ruth Heidelmann Baker, having been painted over and smuggled out of Nazi-occupied Holland in 1940. The Greuze that had been on display was a very clever forgery painted in the 1930s that is said to have fooled Nazi art experts as well as experts of today."

Bettina: "Police arrested five individuals in connection with the theft of the painting, and they are expected to be arraigned today. District Attorney Miriam Walters has not responded to repeated requests for comment by Channel Two News about the case."

Bettina: "And now let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay in Midtown, for a report on a very important event today. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Carl Lemay, with the State Capitol and the reds and oranges of the impending sunrise behind him. "SBI Director Wes Masters will testify before the State Senate Budget Committee at ten o'clock this morning, and he is likely to face tough grilling by State Senators who want to know what his plans for the SBI are, and if he will continue the racist policies of former Governor Val Jared and current Governor Sharon Marshall that cracked down on hardworking Undocumented Workers."

Lemay: "Director Masters is also expected to lay out his ideas for the future structure of the SBI. 1st District State Senator Katherine Woodburn, who is the owner of the parent company of KXTC Channel Two News, has demanded reform of the SBI that will include ceasing their persecution of hardworking Undocumented Workers, and to begin cracking down on White Nationalists that disrupt School Board meetings as well as white Police Officers that exercise brutality against peacefully protesting Persons of Color."

Lemay: "And political experts believe that a comprehensive package of bills that will include the State Budget, a Restructuring Plan, and SBI and Police Reform will be passed as one and submitted to Governor Sharon Marshall. State House Majority Leader Wilson Hammonds, the Republican from Pottsville, said this. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Wilson Hammonds saying "If Governor Marshall does not sign the package, if she vetoes it, then the ensuing government shutdown will rightfully be called 'Sharon's Shutdown'. Governor Marshall will be forced to stop persecuting hardworking Undocumented Immigrants, or the pain and misery of millions in our State will be her fault."

Back to Carl Lemay live: "And Bettina, sources have told me that one provision of the Budget bill will be to prohibit spending any money at all to move the Statue of Artemis from the Pottsville Museum to the University Museum. Senator Katherine Woodburn is equally adamant that the Statue of Artemis be returned to the University Museum, but the theft of the so-called 'Lost Greuze' hangs a huge shadow on the safety of the historically significant statue. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Thank you, Carl! That was trusted political reporter Carl Lemay with that important story. In local news, a major battle is brewing in the Town & County Council. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the short, athletic blonde from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall as her backdrop. "Council Democrats are bitterly angry at Police Commander Donald Troy's insulting snub of the Council when he failed to appear at last week's Council meeting in spite of being ordered to do so."

Amber: "Council Democrats want Commander Troy to explain his actions in unilaterally entering into a binding contract with TCPD Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle without consulting the Council. The contract allows Lieutenant Commander Croyle to serve as an SBI Reserve Agent while a TCPD Officer at her whim.:

Amber: "While she would be paid by the State and not the Town & County while in the SBI role, several members of the Council object to her dual role, just as they've objected to the County's contract with Commander Troy that allows him to log in as the SBI Reserve Inspector or FBI Consultant. The main objection of the Council members is that Troy and Croyle should be serving the people of the Town & County, and not neglecting their duties here by going off to other parts of the State."

Amber: "Council Member Kelly Carnes has demanded that Commander Troy appear before the Council at tomorrow's meeting, and she is threatening legal action against him if he does not fully comply with her orders. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said as she came back on screen. "Neither Commander Troy nor Lieutenant Commander Croyle have responded to KXTC's repeated requests for comment. And now let's go to meteorologist Diane Lawrence with the weather report. Diane!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Same old Bettina." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, Me, and Sheriff Griswold drank coffee and watched in my office. "Anything of particular interest to you, Don?"

I replied "Just that Bettina took little shots at you and Miriam Walters as well as me. Otherwise it was just more of her dishonest verbal diarrhea. But something is nagging at me about that report."

Teresa said "Why did Bettina take shots at Miriam Walters?"

I shrugged. "I have no idea." I said.

Tanya said "It was strange to me that Carl Lemay talked about Hammonds trying to stop the Statue of Artemis from being moved here, and mentioned that Katherine wants it moved but it might not be. Funny that a reporter for her station would say that. Random Act of Journalism?"

I shook my head in disagreement. "No, that was planned. And I suspect that's Katherine setting up Hammonds like a bowling tenpin."

"Where's Chief Moynahan?" asked Tanya, suddenly remembering that the Chief was not present.

The Sheriff replied "He's in Midtown, attending Wes Masters's testimony. Chief Evans and Chief Soltis are also going to be there, too. And Cindy is having coffee with the EMT people in my stead."

"That's it!" I suddenly exclaimed.

Everyone looked at me, and I said "I just realized what was strange about the broadcast. It's what Bettina didn't say. She did not say one word about George Aurus! Not one. And she could hardly say his name enough last week."

"Forgive me if I don't see the importance of that." said Teresa. "The painting theft has been solved and resolved."

"Exactly." I replied. "His usefulness has ended."

"I wonder if KFXU will say anything about him." Teresa said.

"You'll have to let us know." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Don and I have a meeting at City Hall with Miriam Walters."

"She wants to meet with me?" I asked incredulously.

"No." growled Griswold. "But Moynahan's in Midtown, so you're going with me in his place..."