Serena

Story Info
Drew finds happiness.
7.4k words
4.31
2.4k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note: This is a continuation of the story "Lynnette". Although not necessary to read first, many details are there that will not be found here.

Serena

Day 207 -- Drew was awake if you wanted to call it that. One eye was open, focusing on the clock trying to determine if it could close again. It was after 7 a.m. though, that meant it was time to get ready for his run. So he sat up and stretched hearing the crack and feeling the ache from his back.

Getting out and going on these runs was never fun as far as fun goes, but necessary for his health both mental and physical. He had added 10 miles a week to his total after his shocking break up with Lynette. The first few days any extra time he spent alone at home he seemed to dream of the dulling of his senses that whiskey could bring, he had even gone so far as to have a bottle in his basket at the market. As favor would have it a little girl had walked by and smiled at him so cutely he regretted his decision to drink again and had quickly put it back. Realizing the only way he was ever going to have a daughter of his own required sobriety.

To keep these thoughts and moments of feeling sorry for himself at bay, he had taken up running further and faster. It had worked so far, although his muscles were almost constantly sore and his back through his hip area giving him trouble daily. The excess weight had totally shed off his frame now and he was in what he liked to call fighting shape.

It amazed him how healthy eating and good exercise made him feel so much better. He found his sleep was nearly dreamless and his energy at least fourfold now. He still needed coffee daily though and truly missed his old spot. He had stopped going after the breakup because he couldn't bear to see her. She had broken his heart, although in reality he thanked her for that because he would have wanted so much more from her that she couldn't deliver. Her maturity had saved them both from a future divorce for sure, but even more then that it had saved him years in his quest to become a father. Sure he still needed to find that girl, the one that stole his breath and easily borrowed his attention from whatever task he was involved in. He knew she was out there it was just a matter of finding her.

He grabbed his protein shake from the fridge he had made the night before so it would be ice cold and after a few shakes guzzled half in one breath. A moment later he drained out the rest. He knew you shouldn't eat until after but he didn't want anything distracting him from his run. Another few moments and his shoes were on and he was out. He walked much of the way to the park warming up and stretching as he went. As he got closer he went up into a faster pace and then a full run. He could now maintain this pace as long as he wanted; his lungs and muscles working fully.

Where could he find a woman was his usual thought process as he ran? None of the baristas at his new coffee shop were funny enough, all of them seemed into themselves too much to even cut loose and had rolled their eyes at his horrible puns. So they were out, no one he worked with wanted to touch him with a ten foot pole because they remembered the mess he was for that three years plus he had spent not sober. Of course he and some of them had flirted in the lunch room but it never went any further. That one girl had invited him out for drinks and then had been so embarrassed because she had forgotten he was a recovering alcoholic until he had declined the drinks and offered coffee instead. She had stammered a bit offered a weak apology and walked off, yeah Beth still avoided him, poor girl not her fault he thought with a chuckle.

So he needed a new source and was considering a dating app. Desperate Girls Are Us maybe? One off of there might date him he thought with a grin. He could be patient for awhile he decided and made sure to smile a nice friendly grin at each lady he crossed paths with. More of them smiled back now that his body was in shape. His new clothes he had to buy to fit him helped as well. She was out there somewhere he just needed to find her. Finishing his run he checked his pulse and decided to visit the alley on the way home.

This was a regular part of his week now, this visit to the alley. He found it quite cathartic to talk to his lost love here. It had almost become a sort of living diary for him where he would visit and download the week distilling his thoughts into words and bringing clarity to his life. A couple paintings had changed but his favorite two were still there. His lost wife was basically a light purple circle with black swirls leading your eye to the center. It had a blue spattering of dots all over it. It really was nothing magnificent but he could feel the painter's loss. At least that's what he thought the visual author of this painted story was trying to tell him. As he stopped in front of her painting he brought his eyes up to her blue dot and started telling her about his week.

"So you know how you bought me all of those button-up sweaters that one chilly winter? I know I rarely wore them and usually wrestled with you not to, but this fall into winter has been extra chilly, so I got them out and have been wearing them to work because they fit again. I never would have worn them when I was fat, couldn't button them up, that just looks bad. But now they look sharp I think. Anyways one of the guys called me Mr. Rogers last week and it seems it's sticking because several are calling me that now. I just tease back, that I can teach them how to tie their shoes if they want. What else can I do? Just roll with it, they are making fun with me not of me that's what mom always told me, Mr. Rogers is getting the raw end of this deal anyways he was the man." He continued talking with her about how he was sleeping now, the one dream he had that he could remember and how he was actually cleaning the bathroom toilet and chastised himself every time he had to clean the floor around it.

His smile grew through their chat, she was such a good listener, and as he glanced down the alley to the painting with his future daughter in it, he saw a new painting at the far end. Saying goodbye to his wife he went in for a closer inspection.

Getting closer he could see clearly the full eight feet of wall by six feet was a head shot of what appeared to be a black female. At least the top two feet of the painting was an afro of loose curls piled up on the top of and cascading down the sides of her head. She had that scream snarl smile on her face and her lips were fantastic. The artist had gone into a lot of detail, the skin appearing smooth and creamy brown, the lips a reddish ochre color. It was really her captured attitude being portrayed that made her so beautiful. This fierce determination almost, it seemed she could take on the world and rule the day. This was a woman he would like to run in to. Maybe he would ask around for the artist and see if this was someone they knew. He really would like to meet her.

He had forgotten to tell his wife about something though so he retraced his steps to her painting and carefully picked out her blue dot and told her. This week at work rumors had been floating around that his company and another were considering a merger to strengthen their positions in the advertising world. He was not sure if it would be good or not and definitely felt his company was already too big and he would be lost in the shuffle in the new one. At this point it was all just whispers so he wasn't sure if it was actually going to happen or not. But he would certainly keep her posted. Kissing his hand he touched her dot and said goodbye. It was time for him to go home so he could wash the sweat from his body with a shower and get on with his chores for the day.

As he went to leave the alley he took at look back at hot girl at the other end and swore he would find her to see if she was as much fun as the painting portrayed.

Day 247 -- The merger was real! Today was the day where he could get his details at work about where he fell in the mix.

​As he got ready this morning he noticed many of the dividends of eating right, exercising often and actually sleeping. His torso was trim, maybe not washboard tight but it was definitely much more athletic than it had been since his early 20s. His svelte appearance along with the now tighter and less yellowed skin on his face made more a more youthful glow than he once portrayed. He used to look every bit of his 42 years but now maybe could go for late 30's? The girls at the office didn't talk about his looking more youthful but they did smile at him more and seemed more interested in his stupid jokes. He took this to mean one of two things, either he was nicer so they were being the same or his appearance deserved more attention. He rather hoped it was a blend of both.

But enough about him, he was a little bit more excited for the merger than he had once been. He could see the benefits now for both companies, his being financial based and the new group being very much involved in the law field. Between the two and the effort to find commercial opportunities he saw a good blend and opportunity for healthy growth.

He had a meeting today with Marc one of the VP's of his company and the boss of Drew's division. First thing this morning,in fact, and Drew was nervous to find out what it was about. He had asked the secretary but she wouldn't tell him any details. So he was going in blind and because of that was dressing as if he were receiving a promotion, "Always dress for the job you want" his wife used to tell him. So today it was a pair of light olive trousers a faded denim button up shirt topped with a camel covered sweater and finished it off with newly polished dress shoes and a lighter camel colored blazer. He hoped to impress because he wanted to stick around.

As he left for work he decided to pick up a coffee for his boss as well. As he stepped into the now familiar but still less tasty shop the door announced his presence. The girls here had never really chatted with him much but he noticed the cute brunette at the register looked him up and down and smiled big when she saw him.

"Looking really good today Drew. Special occasion?" she asked.

"Hi Jessica, yes kind of, I have a meeting with a big boss today so busted out some new clothes." Drew responded. "In fact may I have an extra coffee for him? His name is Marc if you could put that on his cup. Make his normal please and he takes sugar and half and half. I definitely do not want to confuse his for mine." He added with a grin.

Smiling at him again she said "Well I don't know what he will think but you have my vote."

Moments later he was called to the far end and saw his cup with a smiling wink face on it and the other "Marc" As he headed out the door Jessica called after him, "Be sure to let me know how it goes Drew. Knock 'em dead today!"

With a wave and a hot face he acknowledged her kindness and exited the building into a light wind and warm sunlight.

As Drew exited the elevators on his floor he could tell something was different. It just seemed there was an electric buzz of excitement in the air. He believed no time like the present and so headed straight for Marc's office in the far corner. He came up short as he neared the office, that wasn't Marc inside. As he stared through the floor to ceiling windows he appraised her. She was turned away at least, studying something on the wall; otherwise he would have embarrassed them both. Her skin shined on the warm beige background of her bare legs, they ended in a pair of sapphire heels that made her calf muscles jump out and pull you in. He slowly let his eyes trace up from there, she was athletic, that was very clear. Her frame almost lithe in its appearance; In those heels she was a bit taller than him and so must be about 5'9" he guessed, but even that he might be wrong about because her hair is a million tight black curls that seemed to have the texture of soft yarn, and it easily added another 4 inches to her height. She had it in a structured Afro puff, just touching the tops of her shoulders in the back. She was wearing he noted in passing a dark grey skirt and a white silk blouse.

That was all the time he had to gawk because she turned as if knowing he was watching and on seeing him, waved him in. Her eyes were such a dark brown the pupil almost disappeared and these eyes were set above a pair of full lips just brushed with a bit of coral colored lipstick. He noted as well the emerald earrings adorning each ear. She then rewarded him for his full attention by flashing him the smile. It could only be described as that because just her smile made him feel warm in the pit of his stomach.

As he stepped into the room he tried to ease his own tension by saying, "You don't look like Marc." He smiled at himself being such a dork, of course she isn't Marc, and she was hot!

"Hello," She said "You must be Drew, I am Serena, and it's nice to finally meet you. Marc let me use his office today I am from the other firm. Please come in shut the door and have a seat."

Drew gulped maybe he had gotten this all wrong, maybe he wasn't here for a promotion but to finally be let go. Carefully he took his seat.

"I grabbed an extra coffee for Marc but it's made for him with cream and sugar, not sure if you would like it?" Drew asked carefully.

"Sure I would hate to see it go to waste, I normally don't get sugar but can't remove it now." She said with what he thought was the cutest giggle ever.

"Focus Drew," he told himself, now was not the time to be enamored. "So what brings you here to meet with me today Serena?" He asked in all sincerity.

"Well you and I are tasked to bring this merger about; we will be working together for the time being, melding our two companies into one. I understand you know yours quite well and me the same for mine, err rather both ours." She explained. Handing him a thick portfolio she said, "This contains everything about the sister company and I have one describing the operations of this one that Marc has provided for both of us. You might want to read this over for now and we can meet again at say three o'clock to start compiling a list of merger protocols." She added.

"Okay, thank you." He stammered. "I will get right on this, is there anything else you need right now Serena? A tour perhaps, do you need to know where the bathrooms are located?"

"No, thank you, got the tour earlier, I will be fine," was her quick reply.

"What a Dork" Drew thought. "Just be cool". Getting out of his chair he made to exit quickly and chose that moment to look her full in the face. She was exquisite he would later remember, but for now only managed "Thanks for the info, talk to you later."

Maybe that was for the best. He needed to pull himself together and get to reading; it was going to be a long day.

Day 276- It was a month ago now that he had first met her and everything he had known then was physical. He still believed she was beautiful maybe even more so now, because day in and day out she brought it. Even when she had come to work in a ball cap and dark glasses claiming a bad night she had looked good to him. He chided himself that it seemed he had just barely learned how to not stare at her while they worked. Of course every morning he seemed to take her in all over again, he just couldn't help himself. She appeared to have an enormous wardrobe and never wear the same thing twice, whereas he had his Monday outfit and so on. Maybe he just lacked imagination and needed to mix it up since he now had new clothes? But at least now he could focus on his work through the day and talk with her normally without his pulse racing. She was becoming a friend of his as they continued to work together.

Today as he got ready for work he mixed Tuesday outfit with Friday and hoped for the best. He was sure that Jessica would let him know her thoughts when he picked up his morning fix at the coffee shop. She knew about Serena because he had begun requesting a cappuccino for her each morning, he had made the mistake of bringing her a plain coffee their second day together and had been told what she preferred, with a wink for good measure, he had noted. So now Jessica had the cappuccino ready with his coffee each day, it had SERENA in block letters always, his was different plays on his name with a wink face or a heart depending on her mood.

His hair was resisting his efforts to comb and lay down today so he decided with a beleaguered shrug to just go with it. He couldn't fix everything about himself he thought. He did note he was getting close to his first goal with his weight, 200 lbs; just two pounds away now. He couldn't believe what eating right and exercise had done for him.

Well off to work he thought and out the door he went. Today wasn't bad outside but it wasn't exactly good either he noted, kind of dreary. He pulled his sweater a little tighter around his shoulders and set off for coffee.

With a 'Ding' his presence was announced and Jessica looked up and smiled. "Hey Drew," she said, "new clothes again?"

He didn't know why this embarrassed him it was exactly what he had hoped for. With a sheepish grin he replied, "No I just mixed my outfits together to make a new one. I was nervous it might not work out though, what do you think?"

With a smile she told him, "I think it works great and a new hairstyle to top it off, nice Drew. It's good to see you working it a little. Here's your coffees and I hope you day continues to be new and adventurous."

"As always, thank you, way too nice to me for sure. I hope your day is fun as well," he said with a wave of a coffee laden hand as he headed out.

He needed to hurry it up a bit he didn't want to be late for work today. Serena and he needed to put the presentation together for the guys upstairs. Next week was the week to make the merger pitch they had developed to see if the bosses approved and wanted them to move forward.

She was brilliant he had come to appreciate, so much more to her then a beautiful face. She knew her law and had put a stop to more than one of his 'unlawful' ideas. He had argued his case but had clearly lost seven times out of ten. The other three he hadn't exactly 'won' but at least he looked like he knew a bit of what he talked about. She had a way with her words that seemed effortless and descriptive all at the same time. He had to admit he was more of the idea guy and she was the developer and planner in the office. He admired her tenacity as well because it inspired him to work harder, to the point where he felt like he was back to where he was five years ago before every part of his life had fallen apart. He had tried to separate her beauty from her brain, to be sure he appreciated her intelligence for real and he felt like he had succeeded in at least doing that, appreciating her on several different levels.

As he stepped into their shared office he allowed his nose to take in the scent of her perfume, faint over the aroma of the coffee, but there. She seemed to be a mix of spices, exotic flowers and balsam near as he could tell. It wasn't loud, rather it whispered to him, lingering in the air even hours after she had left. Looking up at him with tired eyes her smile broadened as she took in the sight of her coffee in his hand.

"Oh, thank you Drew, you don't know how much I needed this caffeine today! I was up late last night going over some ideas and trying to put them on paper," she explained. "Let me show you some," she waved him over.

Several hours later he had to stretch big time, having been hunched over the desk reviewing all she had come up with had been enthralling but he needed to get his blood flowing again. So he announced, "I am going for some fresh air and a stretch of the legs, I will be back in 15 minutes."

12