Shadow Dagger Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What is it you and Reynar are hiding, I wonder?

***

Evelyn sat on the bench facing the window. She had opened the tall windows to let the sun in. She closed her eyes and let the sun bathe her with it's golden light. She absent-mindedly rubbed her stomach. She could feel the baby more and more. She was amazed that she had missed it.

Daminus, you're still alive. I know you are. Thank you, my love. Thank you for saving my life. Ever since retiring to her bedroom after the meeting with Reynar, she had felt her grief fade away. Daminus had saved her life. When one partner in a soul-bond died, the other partner was always quick to follow. It was the curse of that magic.

But Evelyn knew she no longer faced that destiny. Daminus had single-handily taken care of that. Now, a new life grew inside of her. She would protect her baby for all the years of her life. Daminus had given her a purpose and a reason to live. She smiled up at the sun, tears of joy trickling down her cheek.

Thank you, my love.

Somebody knocked on her door. "Yes?" Evelyn asked happily, wiping her cheeks.

The servant, Evelyn, opened the door. "My lady, you have a visitor."

"Really?" Evelyn asked.Who would visit me?

Raynolt Teryus walked past the servant. "Hello, Evelyn."

It all happened in a blink of an eye. Evelyn jumped to her feet, murderous hatred flooding her veins at the sight of the man who killed her husband. Raynolt's eyes glowed silver as he began manipulating a spell in the air in front of him. Without speaking or moving, runes of binding flew from Evelyn and wrapped around Raynolt.

Raynolt's eyes widened in shock. A wall of flame erupted in front him and sped toward Evelyn. Once again, a spell sprung into being in her mind. A wall of runes surrounded her, easily dissipating the wall of flame. A lightning bolt struck from the ceiling and shattered on her wards. More and more lightning bolts followed the first.

That man is still dangerous, Evelyn thought calmly, ignoring the cackle of electricity as it struck her shield. Raynolt's body was bound by the binding spell but he could still cast spells in his mind without speaking or moving. Before Evelyn could spare any thought on how to stop him, another spell formed in her mind. Runes drifted from her hand and settled over Raynolt's head.

Raynolt's eyes were now almost bulging out of his head. The strikes of lightning stopped. An odd silence descended on the room. Evelyn waved her hand, removing the part of the binding spell that covered his mouth.

"What are you?" Raynolt whispered, his eyes still round with fear. "How did you do that? I...I can't feel my magic."

"I'm your death," Evelyn replied, ignoring his second question. She felt calm. The murderous rage that had filled her earlier was gone. Only a clear sense of purpose remained. "You should have known I would kill you, Raynolt. It was foolish to come here."

"But...but you're only a 5th Tier Magi! This is not possible!"

"You always did put too much faith in the Tiers," Evelyn replied, thinking of something Boltus used to say. "People can't always be classified so easily."

"Do it then!" Raynolt spat. "Kill me! Become a murderer!"

Evelyn raised her hand. She formed the spell slowly and carefully, so Raynolt could see what it was. The runes of the spell flashed on her palm. Evelyn stared at him for what seemed like an eternity.

"Do it," Raynolt hissed. "I'm sure your beloved husband would have loved to see you become a murderer. Can you do it? Do you have it in you?"

The runes spun rapidly on her palm. It only needed one last manipulation for the spell to click into place. She stared straight into his eyes. In the face of his death, all fear had left him. He even looked somewhat eager. The man was definitely unbalanced. She would be doing the world a favor. How many people had he killed, directly or indirectly?

"What're you waiting for?" Raynolt said, almost begging.

Evelyn closed her fist. The runes flashed; Raynolt closed his eyes.

"I'm not like you," Evelyn decided.

Raynolt slowly opened his eyes. "I know."

Evelyn turned away in disgust. She heard Raynolt stumble as she released the binding spell. "What do you want?" she sighed.

"What's going on between you and Reynar?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly.

"That's none of your business."

"I'm still your Grand Master!" Raynolt growled.

Evelyn turned around slowly. She said nothing but simply gazed at him. He shifted uncomfortably. "I'm...sorry," he offered grudgingly.

"You're nothing to me, Raynolt. I've never and I will never acknowledge you as the Grand Master. We both know how you got the position. I will make sure you pay for Boltus' death one day. And for Daminus'," she added quietly.

"So, you're Reynar's lackey, are you? This is where your loyalties lie?"

"My loyalties lie with the kingdom of Astuari," Evelyn replied. "How about yours?"

Raynolt scowled at her. "Reynar is very dangerous man, Evelyn. I came here to warn you."

"How nice of you," she replied acidly. "I think I can take care of myself." She rubbed her stomach.Nobody can harm me. Not with Daminus watching over me.

Raynolt sighed wearily. "I came here looking for an ally in my fight against Reynar. I will admit, Evelyn, that I only wished to seize power from him. But now...there's something strange about that man. I have a bad feeling. Where did he get his power? What's his goal?"

Evelyn said nothing. She knew Reynar's plans, or at least most of it. She didn't know what to think about Reynar. Who was he? He said he would explain everything in their next meeting. He learned that power from somewhere. "I'm done talking you," she said, turning back to the window.

"Just watch your back," Raynolt warned her. The door closed behind him.

Evelyn sighed. The interruption with Raynolt had killed her good mood. Now her mind focused on Reynar and his offer. Was she ready to get married again? That answer was easy, at least. She was nowhere near ready to get married. Then again, it wasn't about love. She doubted she would ever love another man again. No, she had to think about her baby now.

Daminus...I wish I could talk to you again. What would you say? She closed her eyes to the sun again. She still had a week to think about it. For now, she would enjoy this day. She just found out she was pregnant. She happy.

She was whole.

***

Sophina stood by Jon's doorway, watching him stuff clothing into a bag. "You look good," she commented.

Jon turned toward her and grunted. "Very funny."

"No, I mean it," she said, stepping into the room. "You and Ashford suffered near fatal wounds. You look perfectly normal. I, on the other hand..." she trailed off, looking at the back of hand. She could see the bones protruding from her skin.

"I'm sorry," Jon said quietly. "The healing Marcus uses is radically different from the healing I'm capable of. I use magic to force the mind to heal the body. The mind uses the energy stored in the body to accomplish this. Marcus' healing spells, on the other hand, transfers his own magical energy into the body. That's why he was so exhausted."

"I figured that," Sophina said, sighing. "At least I'm lighter now," she added, tapping the sword at her side.

Jon smiled. "That you are. I'm glad to see you're still practicing. You're getting better."

Sophina swelled up at his praise. "Thank you...Master." She grinned.

Jon shook his head. "I swear, if I have Ashford calling me 'Master' all the way to the desert, I'm coming back here to kill you."

"I might be too much for you now," Sophina replied, smirking.

"A master never teaches his student all he knows," Jon said sagely.

Sophina laughed. "I'm going to miss you."

"I will miss you, too," he said quietly. He shook his head, as though trying to rid himself of that feeling. "So, are you ok with the plan?"

"Most of it," Sophina said slowly. "Are we sure we can trust that man?"

Jon shrugged. "Ashford says he's a honorable man. We're just going to have to trust Ashford on this one."

"I still think you and Ashford should come along with me before you leave," Sophina said bitterly.

Jon sighed. "I'm not going over this again. You know that man will never respect you if we're there to back you up. You have to do this on your own."

Sophina nodded. "I know...I'm just scared."

Jon laughed. "You, scared? I didn't know you even knew the feeling."

"Very funny." Sophina frowned and looked down at her boots. "Jon...are you sure you want Marcus to stay with me? The argument I heard you two have last night..." she trailed off, suddenly embarrassed. She hadn't been eavesdropping. She just couldn't tune out their voices, that's all.

"Everything's fine," Jon replied dismissively. "Marcus has agreed to accompany you."

Sophina spoke hesitantly. "And...are you sure he's...you know...safe?"

Jon stuffed one last piece of clothing in the bag and tied it shut. He turned his head slowly and stared at Sophina intently. "I trust Marcus. However, if you see anything troubling from him, you make sure he takes the drug right away, ok?"

"Ok," Sophina agreed.

Jon nodded. "Well, I've packed all I can. The rest of our supplies should be with the supply cart by now. Do you have everything you need?"

"I have more than enough, Jon. You gave me enough money to buy a small country." Sophina shook her head; she had never seen so much gold in her entire life.

"I just want to be careful," Jon replied, lifting the bag onto his shoulder. "It certainly has been a long week, hasn't it? I'm quite looking forward to this trip, to be honest."

"It'll be good to start doing something," Sophina agreed. "I just wish I wasn't so nervous."

"You'll be fine," Jon said, smiling kindly at her.

Sophina walked with him out to the large living room area. Ashford sat nervously, his bag of clothing lying next to his feet. Since they had been spotted alive a week ago, their disguises were no longer necessary. Ashford had been all too happy to let his hair grow back. His head was covered in rough stubble. He shaved off his beard, too, though he left enough for a goatee. Sophina already had blonde roots showing in her black-dyed hair.

"You ok, Ash?" she asked quietly.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm ok. How about you? I hope you don't have any trouble at your meeting."

"I should be fine," Sophina replied, hoping he didn't hear the nervousness in her voice. "I hope your trip goes well."

"It's not the trip I'm worried about. A two-week journey through the vast desert plains will be pretty boring. No, I'm worried about those damn desert warriors sticking their swords in us."

"It's going to be a one week journey," Jon corrected him.

Ashford looked at Jon as though he was afraid for his sanity. "Even if we ride our horses to death, it's still a two week journey."

"Not if we use Organic Manipulation," Jon said. Seeing the confused look on Ashford's face, he clarified his statement. "You know Organic Manipulation, don't you? Enhancing the horses with magic?"

Ashford shook his head. "You can do that?"

Jon sighed. "Sometimes I forget how much you Magi don't know. Look, you cast spells on yourself sometimes, right? That's Organic Manipulation. What makes you think you couldn't do the same thing on a horse?"

"I...I never thought about it," Ashford admitted.

"Looks like I'm going to have to spend my time training you while we travel."

Ashford's eyes suddenly gleaned excitedly. "Thanks, Master."

Jon shot a dirty look over at Sophina, who was having trouble controlling her laughter.I'm going to miss this.

"You ready, Ashford?" Jon asked.

Ashford nodded. He stood up and walked over to Sophina. "Take care of yourself, ok?" He hugged her.

Sophina hugged him back tightly. "Listen to everything Jon tells you, ok?"

Ashford laughed, releasing her. "Will do."

Sophina stood on her toes and planted a quick kiss on his lips. "For good luck."

Ashford stared at her in amazement. He touched his lips as he turned away. Sophina walked over to Jon. "Good luck."

"You too," he said, holding out his hand. Sophina raised an eyebrow at him. "What?" Jon asked. "You don't expect me to kiss you? Not after your lips touched Ashford's?"

Sophina grinned. "I'll settle for a hug, then." Before he could respond, she crushed him in her arms. After a moment, he hugged her back.

"Get Evelyn back safely," he said gruffly.

"I will," she said, her voice muffled by his tunic. She stepped back and wiped a tear from her eye. "Come back alive."

"We will." And to Sophina's utter amazement, he leaned in quickly and kissed her gently. Her lips opened automatically. She felt his hot breath against her tongue. Her tongue darted out but he pulled back suddenly and nodded at her. "Let's go," he told Ashford.

Sophina watched them walk up the steps that led to the false wall in the abandoned house above. She touched her lips in wonder. She had never felt a kiss like that from a man. Ignoring the best she could the wetness between her legs, she walked slowly back to the guest room. It was time to wake Marcus up. They had a meeting to go to.

***

Jon glanced up at the setting sun. He estimated that they still had twenty minutes until sunset. They should beat the curfew the Magi imposed for the duration of their war with the Magi Victus. He adjusted the strap of his bag and lifted it onto his shoulder.

"I hope we don't have any trouble," Ashford whispered.

"We will if you stray from the plan," Jon replied quietly.

Ashford gave him an affronted look. "Do I look stupid?"

"I just want to make sure there are no mistakes." Jon stopped at the corner of the street and peeked out past the building. The street was already clear. People weren't waiting for sundown to get indoors. Satisfied, Jon led Marcus down the street, making sure to walk casually.

"You don't think we'll run into any Magi patrols before sunset, do you?" Ashford asked.

Jon shrugged. "I prepare for any possibility. That way, any surprises will be good ones."

"I hope we don't," Ashford sighed. "I don't want to think about having to kill my fellow Magi."

"Then pray," Jon replied absently, stopping at another street corner before continuing. They were almost to the city wall. He glanced up at the sun. The bottom was now falling behind the high city wall.

After five more tense minutes, they reached an alleyway that led to the wall. "Stay here," Jon said, holding his hand up. Ashford nodded nervously. Jon pulled the hood of his nondescript brown hood tighter around his face, gripped his bag tighter, and walked into the alley. The shadows immediately consumed him.

He walked silently and reached the end of the alley. The wall was only a few feet away. He looked back down the alley and gestured at Ashford to follow him. Ashford practically ran down the alley, his bag flopping against his back, and stopped, panting in front of Jon. "What happened to taking it easy?" Jon growled.

"I'm just ready to get out of here already!" Ashford's eyes darted constantly in his head. Every small sound made him turn his head quickly.

"Relax," Jon said, patting him on the shoulder. He turned back and studied the wall. Silver runes covered the entire surface; runes that only Magi could see. Judging from the pattern, it appeared that at least three Magi were on top of the wall, maintaining the wards.

"Did you figure it out yet?" Jon asked Ashford. There was nothing better than training by fire.

Ashford studied the runes anxiously. His brow was furrowed in thought and his eyes glowed silver. He set his bag down by his feet as he continued to study the runes. Finally, he turned toward Jon and nodded.

"Give it a try," Jon said, gesturing toward the wall.

Ashford swallowed and wiped sweat from his forehead. Jon watched intently as Ashford's fingers flashed in the air, forming intricate runes. The runes moved toward the wall and began to snake its way up. The wards on the wall glowed as Ashford's runes slid through them and around them. After several long moments, Ashford's runes covered a good amount of the wall in front of them.

He looked nervously at Jon. Jon rested his chin in his hand as he studied the wall. He nodded slowly. "Do it."

Ashford clenched his fist. His runes locked into place with the wards. The runes on a twenty foot section of the wall in front of them slowly dulled to a light gray all the way to the top of the wall. Jon reached out his hand and held it an inch from the wall.

"Let's see how good you did," Jon whispered, pressing his palm flat against the wall.

Nothing happened. The dull gray runes did not flash or make any kind of movement. Jon smiled at Ashford, who looked extremely proud. "Good job...if a bit sloppy," Jon said, wiping the smile off Ashford's face. Smirking, Jon embraced his magic, forming a quick spell in his mind. Runes flashed on the palms of his hands and on the soles of his boots.

Jon heard Ashford muttered the spell behind him. Jon set his hands on the wall and quickly scrambled up, like a squirrel flying up the trunk of a tree. The runes on his hands and feet flashed rapidly as they held him to the wall. Jon reached the tip of the wall in a matter of seconds. He kept his head below the edge of the wall and waited. He could sense Ashford right below him. The sun had fully set now. Night was quickly descending, like a cool blanket over the earth.

Using his sense of smell and hearing, he determined that there was indeed three Magi in the area of this section of the wall. Remembering the promise he made to Ashford, he prepared a spell in his mind that would club the Magi unconscious. He reached up and grabbed the edge of the roof. He set his feet firmly against the wall and propelled himself high into the air.

He landed on the roof silently and rolled to his feet. Two Magi were standing in front of him, mouths hanging open in shock. Runes in the shape of a hammer quickly clubbed both of them on the head. They fell to the ground immediately.

Where is the other one? Behind me?

Jon whirled around and grabbed the hilt of his Shadow Dagger. It wasn't needed; Ashford moved away from the unconscious body of the third Magi. Jon nodded at him and straightened up, hoisting his bag higher on his shoulder. "We did it."

"We better hurry; they're going to notice the wards that suddenly went blank," Ashford whispered.

Jon quickly made his way across the top of the wall, which had to be a good fifty-feet thick. Jon knelt down on one knee and took the bag off his shoulder. He pulled out a long coil of rope and let it fall down the outside of the wall. He laid the end of the rope on the roof and cast a quick spell to hold it in place.

"Why do we need a rope?" Ashford hissed.

"You'll see," Jon whispered. He grabbed the robe and descended a few feet down the wall. He cast a quick spell of protection for his hands and slid down the rope rapidly. In less than a minute, Jon's boots thudded on soft earth. He stepped back and waited for Ashford to descend. After helping Ashford to his feet, Jon looked out into the night.

"Well, now what?" Ashford asked. "Where's our supplies?"

Jon pointed. A large shadow had dislodged itself from the edge of the wall. It was a man, driving a cart that was attached to two horses. He stopped in front of Jon and hopped down. "Master Laurent! Good to see you!" the man said quietly, holding out his hand.

Jon shook his hand. "You have everything, Jin?"

"Oh, yes, I secured all the supplies you asked for."

"Good," Jon said, handing him a bag of coins.

The man opened the bag and gasped. "This is more than I asked for!"

Jon shrugged. "It was a dangerous job. I left the rope for you, Jin. You better hurry; the Magi will show up quickly and I won't hold the spell on the rope for long."