Shadow Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I teased her like that for several minutes.

"Mark, PLEASE!" She begged.

Finally I focused on her engorged clitoris. She immediately climaxed and I kept going, and she did too. Finally it became too much for her.

She whipped off the blindfold, reached into her nightstand drawer and retrieved a condom. With practiced ease she bit the corner, removed it from the wrapping, and unrolled it onto my erect penis.

She then mounted me, her on top.

For the next few moments she redefined for me what sex was supposed to be like. Rhythmically she undulated over me. Her vaginal constrictions like small hands gripping and releasing. Those large shapely breasts hanging down swaying, this was unbelievable, like from a teenage fantasy. But it was real.

We continued like this for what seemed like quite some time, but likely was just several minutes.

Eventually she climaxed and I did too. But my erection felt like there was an electric current passing through it and it didn't quite completely recede.

We lay on the bed and caressed each other, at first not specifically sexually. Me rubbing her neck, she massaging my chest. My hand drifted to her tits. Kneading and stroking the magnificent flesh. Her nipples soon responded.

Her hand slid down to my cock, still slightly engorged, and she began caressing.

It had been a few years since Carol and I had screwed twice in one night and I was unclear if I had the ability to do so. This will be interesting, I thought.

With my fondling her tits and she stroking my cock, I was soon erect again. This time I reached into the drawer to grab the condom. I made note of a couple of other interesting items in the same drawer also.

This time I started on top, her hands on my ass, urging, pushing and pulling. Round two I had extra stamina. I was hard and ready for a long fucking session.

I turned her over and began taking her from behind. Ashley seemed up for anything so I grabbed her dildo that I had seen in the drawer. I also grabbed the lube. While continuing to fuck her from behind I inserted a lubed finger in her ass. Her gasp exclaimed her sensitivity. I then maneuvered the dildo to her ass. With a little work I slid it in. My erection was still in her pussy.

She immediately orgasmed and collapsed flat on the bed. My erection slipped out of her pussy. But there she was, wide open, ass prominent, motionless on the bed. And I still had the erection.

Slowly and steadily I inserted my condom covered cock into her ass. There was a momentary unspoken hesitation from Ashley, but it was too late. I was in. She began an erratic panting as I plunged in and out of her ass. Her climactic scream put me over the top too. I erupted inside her and collapsed on top of her nude backside.

For several minutes we just lay like that. Exhausted and satisfied.

"Wow." Ashley murmured. "When I first saw you I thought you'd be fun in bed. You did good." She added.

I started laughing. For a couple of reasons. One, because I was happy she was satisfied. Two, because I was kind of proud of my sexual prowess. And finally that this sexy young thing had 'rated' me sexually and I was rated highly. For a moment I wondered how large a pool had I been graded against?

For the moment I was happy, but other thoughts began. Like clouds drifting in front of the sun, there was certainly bright sunlight shining through in places, but it was impossible to ignore the overcast horizon.

We eventually ate the delicious dinner Ashley had made. The conversation was fun, funny, and normal except for one thing. Throughout the entire evening, the getting to know one another, the discussions of our intimacy, the regular, normal conversation, not once was the subject of my wife mentioned. By either of us.

I declined her invitation to stay the night, I was tempted. I also thought, at this moment, this was not going to be a one off. I needed to see her again. Obviously the sex was out of this world. But I also found myself growing fond of Ashley the person. This was going to be a problem.

On Sunday I called Ashley and asked her out to lunch.

"I am so glad you called Mark." Ashley told me. "I was hoping that it wasn't just a one night stand." She added.

I didn't know what to say. I wanted to assure it was more than a one night stand. But if it was more than a one night stand, what exactly was I doing? The thought that kept recurring was my desire to be free from Carol. But divorce was not something I could contemplate at the time. For several reasons.

Divorce would kill me financially. I would lose the house for sure. Before I had met Carol I had credit card debt. She financially nursed me out of it, and I was just getting on stable fiscal ground. I would lose everything and need to start over.

The other ramification was my job. Carol's brother Dan was my contact that helped get me the job at Eastside. I loved the job, it paid well and the long term future was good at Eastside. Dan was the number two man at the company and Dan loved his sister.

It certainly is conceivable that a unilateral divorce coming from my end could cost me my job. No, I could not lose the job. If somehow Carol just vanished somehow this would solve my problems.

For a moment I mulled that idea over. Carol was kind, loving and devoted to me. We had discussed having children and I know she would be a great mother. My thoughts of her being gone were awful. How could I think like that? But quickly my hard wired memory of the night with Ashley eclipsed any thought of Carol or for that matter anything else.

"I'll pick you up at noon." I told Ashley. I was living in the moment with no long term plan.

As I drove to Ashley's the logical part of my brain began to work. I needed to end this, this, affair, I guess you may call it. It was fun, very fun, but there was no way it would end well. Perhaps if Ashley and I had a sensible discussion about my situation this could end harmlessly. We may even stay friends, I told myself.

With a righteous plan to extricate myself from my infidelity, head held high I drove to Ashley's. A clear resolve planned that made practical sense.

Within an hour she was giving me a blow job in the front seat of my car in the parking lot of John T. Weathers State Wayside.

I fully intended to have the practical discussion. As I walked to her door I was even rehearsing my logic. But then she opened the door wearing the low cut shirt. The sensual kiss in greeting. And finally the fondling of my cock as we were driving to lunch.

Like air from a released balloon my resolve quickly deflated. Next thing I knew we were in the parking lot at the wayside. My cock being sucked ever so masterfully.

Later that Sunday, driving home from Ashley's, I once again tried to talk myself into leaving her alone. Just go about your life as if this entire weekend never happened. That was my plan at that moment. Carol would be home tomorrow and I would re-dedicate my life to her.

It may have been the moment I saw Carol that Monday after she returned from her Mom's. No makeup, drab clothing, hair unwashed, the strain of worry aging her face. There was no way she could compare to the younger, exciting, sexy Ashley.

Once again my resolve evaporated. I called Ashley Tuesday and we made plans to meet.

We would go to her apartment, we would find a hidden spot outdoors and occasionally we would get a room at a motel. I had to be careful about that. That type of lodging created a paper trail. The sex, if possible, got even better. Ashley was free sexually. We would experiment with everything. I needed her now. I could not imagine living without Ashley and these sexual experiences.

Yes there were times that Ashley complained that we couldn't go out together. She also wanted me to meet her friends. Do normal couple things. I patiently explained why that was not possible at this time. For the most part, she said she understood.

The relationship, for me, went beyond the sex. I was falling for her. I had even uttered 'love' to her several times. I began the dangerous practice of thinking of a long term life with Ashley. We spoke of the future together and though she never pushed me, she seemed open to the idea.

Of course the problem was, I was married.

— — — — — — — — — —

Back to that night when I was late coming home for dinner . . . .

Carol had made a delicious chicken and rice curry dish. She had even waited for me and we ate together at the kitchen table. I tried to focus on her but my mind continued to drift to Ashley.

She had just said something to me and I completely missed it.

"Earth to Mark," She said with her gap toothed grin. "I said we should probably leave by nine tomorrow morning so we can hike all the way to the waterfall." She added.

"Oh, okay," I said, my brain recalling we had made plans to hike Saturday.

I had been hoping the weather would be bad and she wouldn't want to go. I could then figure out a way to see Ashley. But no, it was going to be a clear, sunny, autumn day in the Pacific Northwest. Ideal conditions for the hike.

I did not sleep well that night. I thought of Ashley and longed to be with her. Carol bored me. She was doing nothing different than she had ever done, but now I was bored. There was no way the mundane life with Carol could compare to those exciting moments with Ashley.

I got up Saturday morning in a bad mood..

Carol was excited, looking forward to the hike to Shadow Falls. I was quiet and grouchy. She tried to be extra nice to me and I all but ignored her.

"Once you get out into nature, you'll cheer up." She said to me.

I just mumbled something unintelligible back.

She sat on the stairs and asked me a question.

"Do you think it's going to be muddy on the trail?" She asked.

"I don't know." I grumbled. "Probably. I mean it rained two days ago." I grouchily added.

"Well, I don't think I'll wear my newer shoes. I don't want to get them dirty." She said. "Do you think the old ones will be too slippery?" She asked and held up the shoes showing me the smooth worn down soles.

"Carol, Jesus!" I exclaimed. "The shoes are fine, now let's get going." I demanded.

I glanced at the kitchen table and saw her not quite empty tea cup sitting there. This bugged me too. Why can't she finish the damn tea and rinse it out?

Even though I was acting like an asshole, Carol was still in a good mood. For some reason this pissed me off even more. I barely spoke as we drove east into the Columbia Gorge toward the trailhead to Shadow Falls.

"I hope we see the shadows at the waterfall today." Carol cheerfully said to me, "The light could be right for it. Don't you think?" She turned to me and asked.

There is an old legend that surrounds Shadow Falls. It was of Native American origin. The story goes like this:

'A young man from the tribe had taken a bride, a young woman called Istas. The man's brother wanted Istas also. One day the man returned to their home and found Istas gone. He was told that the brother and Istas had gone to the waterfall.

The man went to get his woman back from the jealous brother. He found them at the waterfall. The brothers argued and fought and the evil brother, using trickery, knocked the good brother to the ground and threw him over the cliff to his death.

In grief and ashamed of herself Istas threw herself over the same cliff. Istas and her man died together and the brother was shunned and banished from the tribe.'

The legend goes on to say that when the light is just right, shining onto the waterfall you can see the image of shadows moving behind the curtain of water. Supposedly the sunshine shining through the trees has to be at just the perfect angle, so it lands in the precise way against the falls. When this occurs the shadows are said to appear. These shadows are interpreted as the image of the two brothers fighting.

Some choose to believe in this type of mythology, others dismiss the phenomenon..

"Who knows if we'll see anything. I've been up there a lot and I've never seen anything at the waterfall." I told Carol, no mistaking my negativity.

I needed to adjust my mood, I told myself. I'm taking my frustrations out on Carol. She's done nothing wrong. I'm the asshole I thought. I told myself I would try to set thoughts of Ashley aside for now and enjoy the magnificent beauty of the Columbia Gorge.

The Columbia River Gorge is a canyon of the Columbia River. The basalt cliffs create a deep river gorge up to 4,000 feet in places. The canyon stretches for over 80 miles as the Columbia River winds westward through the Cascade Range forming the boundary between the state of Washington to the north and Oregon to the south.

This spectacular natural area has numerous hiking trails, waterfalls, recreational paths, and scenic vistas. The Shadow Falls trail was deep within the magnificent gorge.

Fortunately we found a parking spot at the trailhead. After carefully locking the car we proceeded to the trail.

"I'm glad I brought my old shoes." Carol told as she observed the mucky condition of the trail. "I hope it's not slippery." Carol added.

This particular trail starts as a series of switchbacks that gain altitude. The forest canopy on a sunny day, like today, produced shafts of sunlight that spotlit the different elements of nature along the forest floor.

As we climbed the switchbacks I mentally noted that my mind had stayed free of thoughts of Ashley for a prolonged period. I was proud of myself. But just that mental introduction of the subject of Ashley began an extensive sexual daydream about her. These sexual thoughts eclipsed any appreciation of the beauty that surrounded me.

Once again I began to think how much better my life would be with Ashley. But I still had Carol.

"Mark!" Carol called to me, awakening me from my vivid daydream. "You forgot to make your X!" She told me.

There was a large light colored rock at the top of the switchback. This signaled the more level part of the hike. We had a special ritual of picking up a smooth pebble from the ground and making an X on the large rock. We always wondered if we would see our X during our next hike to this area.

I had forgotten.

"Oh, yes," I said. "I was just about to". I told her.

Carol gave me an odd look, as if she didn't quite believe me. She was right.

At this point the trail is fairly high up. The Forest Service had installed a heavy metal railing along the slippery trail. We could just start to hear the falls but not quite see them.

"Oh, I hope we get to see some shadows!" Carol enthusiastically said. She was excited.

As we passed the last bend we had an angle to view the falls across a vast open canyon area ending hundreds of feet below at Tilchis Creek. There was some sunshine angling towards the falls and a shaft of sunlight was shining on the right spot on the waterfall.

"Oh Mark!" She cried. "I think I see something." Carol shouted. She bent forward over the rail to capture a better angle. She kept maneuvering to improve her sight line.

"Be careful." I called to her, but she was focused on the waterfall.

It's unclear as to what exactly occurred next. It was a combination of the slippery trail, the poor traction of the old shoes, and the enthusiasm to see the shadows, but she slipped. It happened quickly. She slid under the railing and at the last minute grabbed an exposed root.

"MARK!!" She screamed. She was dangling by one hand on the root, terrified.

I crouched down under the railing. "Give me your other hand." I told her.

Frantically, she clutched my fingers then up to my wrist. At that moment I held her tightly. She went to release the root and grab a higher position to pull herself up toward the trail and for that instant the only thing holding her from falling was my grip.

Not exactly sure how my brain worked, but suddenly I found a solution to my problem.

I dropped her.

For the moment there was a questioning look on her face as if to say "why!". And then as she plummeted the look on her face as she stared back at me was of utter sadness. She was soundless as she fell to her death.

I sat there with swirling feelings. Guilt, I will not soon forget the last look on her face. Sadness. Fear. More guilt, and finally I could not suppress the feeling building in me of happiness. Soon I will be with Ashley permanently I thought.

Then I asked myself, was it an accident? Did she really just slip? Maybe I wasn't truly at fault. I was trying to talk myself into my own innocence. For a moment a wave of righteousness surged through me. But on a more honest inspection I knew none of this was true.

I had deliberately let her go.

I was stunned as I was kneeling on the muddy ground. Emotions jumbled. Not exactly sure how long I was like that, but I snapped out of it as I heard a group coming up the trail.

Quickly I prepared.

I took out my phone and dialed 911. No cell service.

I ran back down the trail, until I encountered the hikers I had heard.

"My wife . . . She slipped." I told them. "She fell. I have to get to her. She went over the edge." I stumbled down the trail, and one of the hikers went with me.

If I were to analyze my actions in retrospect, most of my behaviour was not an act. I truly was panicked and I wanted to try to, I guess help her, though obviously that wasn't possible.

As we moved down the trail I kept mumbling "it's my fault".

The guy would pat me on the back and try to reassure me that whatever happened was an accident, and would say "don't blame yourself".

Only I knew how wrong his assurance of my innocence was.

Partway down the trail my companion found cell reception and called 911. By the time we were at the trailhead a county sheriff was there.

I sat in the back of the sheriff's vehicle and provided information. The Forest Service was deployed to investigate at ground level. I guess that meant, find the body. The trailhead was taped off and they allowed no more hikers on the trail.

For the rest of the day I answered questions and sat while activity swirled around me. I would then get re-asked the same questions I had previously been asked. I wept throughout the day, and I truly was feeling sadness for Carol.

Perhaps not the deep sadness that most would feel. But I was sad. Every so often another disturbing emotion would bubble up. That was guilt. I may live with this feeling for quite some time I thought.

Eventually, hours later, the sheriff and the Forest Service released me. Her body had been found, identified from photos, thankfully, and was in the process of being retrieved.

I found myself driving home and feeling so odd. Emotional, guilty, and with a constant undercurrent of joy at the thought of being with Ashley.

I thought of all the people I needed to call once I got home. Carol's ill mother, her brother Dan, who I worked with, her sister Janice in Denver, various close friends, and people at her work. Another thing I did during the drive home was get my story straight. By the time I was home I had almost convinced myself it had been an accident.

Almost.

The person I wanted to call, but could not, was Ashley. I wanted to tell her that things would be better. Better soon, but we needed to wait. Wait for the sake of appearances. My immediate future was going to be a future of grief. And a lot of my feelings of grief were sincere. I truly will miss a lot about Carol.

Over the next few days I called friends and relatives. I had some discussions with the authorities. I also had to work on the funeral. What I had not done was call Ashley yet. But I was getting to the point that I at least had to communicate with her. But for now I still needed to stay away.

For the first few nights my sleep was restless. So many emotions in my head, with guilt being the largest, followed not far behind by excitement, about the future with Ashley. Monday night I decided that I would call her on Tuesday.