Sharkbait Ch. 01-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So far, I'd gotten my wish.

Ch. 3

The lack of sleep had me nodding off in math class, earning me a warning on Tuesday. We only had pool access Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so Amy drove us to her house. Her Mom put a gym in the basement, including a Universal gym and fighting mat. I did upper-body weight training for thirty minutes, and then I swapped places with Amy on the treadmill for a run. When we finished, we worked on grapples from our Brazilian Jujitsu classes. We'd finished showering in her room when Beta Susan called us down to dinner.

The chili had been cooking in the crockpot since Monday, and she'd put the breadmaker on time delay before heading to work. Fresh, hot bread with the thick chicken chili was my favorite winter food. I'd melt butter into the bread, then spoon the chili on top and eat it that way. "Great dinner, thank you," I said to Susan between bites.

"You're welcome," she said. "Tomorrow night, dinner will be at the Alpha's home."

"Really," Amy asked. "Is it some Beta business I need to be there for?"

"No, you two are the only ones invited since I'm not going to the Summit this year." Each Alpha pair got to bring their Pack heir (if of age), any unmated Beta-level and above, and one Beta pair if there were none in the two previous categories. Amy was going as an unmated female, and I was still the designated Mantled Heir. Even if I wasn't, I was Alpha blood and would have to go. The lower-level Pack members were luckier; there were regional and national social events where they could find mates without all the Council rules. If you didn't want a mate, you didn't go. It could work for years if your mate didn't visit your Pack.

"Why does he want to talk to us?"

"I'm sure it's just logistics and such." Alpha Leo had figured out that a few Packs could split the cost of a charter business jet and end up a lot closer to the host site, with none of the TSA hassles.

"What if I find my mate?" Amy was particularly vulnerable since any mating would require her to go to her males' Pack. At least with my Alpha Mantle, I had a CHANCE of staying here, provided my mate was Beta blood or not a mantled Alpha heir.

"You would return to his Pack with him, then come back here to say goodbye. I'll pack your things and have them shipped to your new home," Susan said. "You know the drill, baby."

"I have school! I can't just transfer out with a few months left in my high school! I NEED the classes for college!"

"That's a conversation to have with your mate and your new Alpha if you find your mate," she told her daughter as she held her hand. "Your head will be so far in the clouds you won't care about these things." I just mentally cringed at this; it was what I was afraid would happen to me. The Mate Bond was powerful, and our wolves didn't care about worldly things like school and friends. "Chances are, you'll be back home on Sunday night, complaining about having to get up in the morning."

"I hope so," Amy said.

My phone dinged, and my eyes got wide as I read the message. Today at school, we were working on our conservation project. I sent a message with the basics of my idea to Ocean and asked her advice. The text from Ocean said she would help! She was going to call after she got off work, which meant eleven PM my time. "We've got to get to our homework," I told Amy. When we were back in her room, I showed her the text.

"Call your Mom and stay over tonight," she said. "We'll be able to sleep for another half hour in the morning since I don't have to drive over and pick you up." Mom agreed to the sleepover as we did it all the time. I had some extra clothes in Amy's closet for just this kind of thing, just like she had stuff at my house. We spent the night catching up on homework and preparing for our talk when my phone rang just after eleven.

"Hi, Ocean! Thank you so much for calling me back. I'm here with my best friend Amy," I said over the videophone. I was almost shaking with excitement.

"Aloho Vicki and Amy! I got your idea, and it's interesting. I've got a few people in the room who I thought might want to hear it." She introduced her husband Juan, shark expert Doctor Felipe Martinez, and World Wildlife Federation Director Pamela Kettering. "This is the high school student I told you about; I've been friends with her since she was six. Vicki, the floor is yours."

I cleared my throat. "For my senior project, I wanted to do something to help with shark awareness and protection. Despite years of surveys and tagging, the world still doesn't know enough about the movements of sharks on a year to year basis. My project is to implement a donor-funded tagging and tracking program to increase the number of tagged sharks of all species by order of magnitude."

"That's a fine goal," Director Pamela said, "but shark tagging and tracking is an expensive process. We typically tag between two and five hundred sharks in US waters each year. How are you going to expand tagging by that much with limited research resources?"

"By allowing people to adopt sharks for a reasonable price. They purchase a satellite tag, and when it is attached to a shark, they get a photo and the transceiver number. They can watch on a website to see where it is now. We could set it up to give them text message updates and allow them to share their shark on social messaging. Heck, if we can sell people a star, a shark is so much cooler a gift!"

There was some laughter in the background. "It's been done before and failed," Doctor Martinez said. "The University of Miami had a program like this a decade ago. (Author's Note: See sharkresearch.rsmas.miami.edu/donate/adopt-a-shark/ ) It never really caught on because it was too expensive, and there were too few sharks available to adopt."

"Yes, sir. I talked to the University about why, and I have some ideas on that. First of all, the cost of satellite tracking devices has come WAY down since then. In quantity, they are about three hundred dollars each, correct?"

"That sounds about right," he said.

"That makes it much more affordable and should result in more participation. The cost is achievable by individuals or class fundraisers." I was nervous, but at least they hadn't laughed at me.

"The satellite tag is just a small part of the cost of a tracking program, Vicki. On a good day, we might tag a dozen sharks, needing a boat and crew and fuel. There's only so many of those," she said.

"That's the second part of the proposal. I propose that we enlist the help of sport and commercial fishermen in our efforts to tag the sharks." I heard the intake of breath; the relationship between conservationists and fishermen was not always good. Commercial fishing for sharks was banned less than a decade ago, but 'accidental' mortality in nets and on long lines still killed tens of thousands of sharks a year. "The new trackers attach to the dorsal fin without tools in a few seconds, and the boats already bring sharks onboard. A picture and a tag, and we're on our way. You don't get the detailed data, blood samples, and such we get on a research vessel, but it costs us almost nothing."

There was some talking in the background, and the conversation flew around us as they talked back and forth about the idea. "Vicki, how do you propose we get the cooperation of the fishing fleets?"

"Let's start with the sport-fishing group," I said. "Most of them are catch-and-release already, so we appeal to them to help us understand and manage the populations. It's a true statement that hunters and anglers have done more for conservation efforts than anyone else. They still get to fish, but when they let it go, they can track it. I wouldn't doubt that we get a lot of people buying tags so they can follow the trophies they have caught. Also, they are more likely to release a shark with a tracking device than one without."

"Interesting," Pamela said. "What about commercial fishermen?"

"They are already under pressure to reduce the number of shark deaths due to their activities," I said. "It can help them in a few ways. Tagging sharks they release gives us a better idea of the delayed mortality of the catch. Tracking the sharks can also give them real-time information on current patterns, allowing them to avoid shark concentrations. It also means better information on areas that require protection on a seasonal basis."

"Seasonal," Ocean asked.

"Yes. The major opposition to marine reserves and no-fishing zones is that we are 'taking away' areas where they can fish. If we can show that shorter duration restrictions, like fishing seasons, would protect identified breeding and nursery grounds? It would be easier to get that passed than a blanket restriction."

We talked for another thirty minutes, as I answered questions. In the end, it was Ocean who brought things to a close. "You've given us a lot to think about, Vicki. We're impressed with what you've done."

"Thank you!" Having a famous person on board would help get things going.

"You're the one we should be thanking," Pamela said. "I think your idea has great potential, but potential means nothing without the will to carry through on the idea. It will take a lot of time, a lot of networking, and a lot of work to get it going. My question is simple: how much do you want this?"

"I've been crazy about sharks since I was four," I told them. "It doesn't matter that I live more than a thousand miles from an ocean because I'm passionate about this."

"Good, because you're going to be front and center for the rollout and the advertising," Ocean said. "Face it, I'm getting older, and you've got the look I did when I first started. It's time to pass the torch."

Before the call ended, I had an invitation to go to Hawaii over spring break and dive with Ocean and her research team. The team gave me contacts in their organizations to work with, the goal of having a formal proposal ready by June and the first sales in time for Christmas.

"OH MY GOD," I screamed as I hung up. Amy and I started jumping around and screaming; this was BIG. I was on a first-name basis with people who could help me make a difference.

Amy's Mom came into the room, telling us to quiet down and get to sleep.

Sleep did not come quickly. I was on the path towards my dreams, and nothing was going to stop it.

Ch. 4

I was tired but excited the next morning at school as I told my project advisor about the phone call last night. I couldn't believe that people like Ocean Ramsey, Doctor Martinez, and Director Kettering not just LISTENED, but were actively encouraging me. I could see a path forward where I'd make a real difference in the world, and it felt amazing.

Amy was just as excited, and we spent lunch figuring out what we would have to do to get to Hawaii on Spring Break. It was going to be tough; we both had worked as lifeguards the previous summer, but our savings were earmarked for college. "We need to work on scholarships," Amy said with a sigh.

"Yeah. We won't get more than what it would cost to go to the U of M." Of the four schools that accepted me so far, the University of Minnesota was the closest and the cheapest. Duke and Eckerd were private schools; the University of Oregon was a public school, but I'd have to attend as an out-of-state student. For all three colleges away from home, I'd have to add a lot of money for room and board. "You know the rules. A degree in marine biology doesn't help them, so we're on our own."

"I wish we lived on the ocean instead of this frozen prairie," she said. I knew what she meant; both of us were abnormal. Where everyone else wanted mountains and woods, we wanted seawater and reefs. "What do you think Leo will say about our plans?"

I just shook my head. "He's so... rigid about things," I said. "I'm glad that Mom doesn't have to go. She HATES those meetings."

"With good reason," Amy said. "Mom said that it isn't bad for her, other than watching over the younger ones and the parties." My Mom and I had traveled to an Alpha Summit when I was five, and it didn't go well. Leo and Adrienne went on trial, Leo nearly died, and Mom, Brent and I ended up running for our lives.

I kept working on my project in the afternoon, and we did our swim practice before heading home to finish our homework and pack. We arrived at Alpha Leo and Luna Adrienne's house just before six, well after sundown. We walked in the front door, only to have Andy yell and launch himself at me from six feet away. "VICKI!!"

I caught him and put a foot back to steady myself before he knocked me on my ass. I tossed him to Amy, who caught him and spun him around before putting him down. "Hey, Crush," I said. I'd gotten him hooked on Finding Nemo as a kid, and if I was Sharkbait, he had to be the sea turtle.

"ANDREI MAKSIM VOLKOV, you behave! Amy and Vicki, stop encouraging him!"

"Yes, Luna," Amy and I said in unison. We finished taking our coats and boots off and walked towards the dining room. Adrienne was finishing with setting the table, and she took a moment to hug both of us.

"Hey kids," Leo said as he kicked open the door from the deck overlooking the patio and brought the heavy tray of meat inside. I smiled and jumped in place a little as the smell hit; Leo had made ribs on his smoker. "You don't mind if this dinner is a little informal, do you," he teased.

I gave him a big hug as soon as he set the tray down. "Thank you, Unky Leo," I said. Ribs were my absolute favorite, and Leo's were as good as any barbecue joint we'd ever visited, and we'd visited a lot.

"Sit down, I'm hungry," he said.

"That's MY line," I teased. Leo brought the beans and cheesy potatoes in while Adrienne sliced the cornbread. I loved coming over here when he fired up his smoker, but that wasn't often in winter. Luckily, today was on the warmer side, even if he had to shovel his way out to it. I only saw five place settings. "Where are Mike and Anita and their brood?" Our Betas had four children, Cole (10), Jessie (9), Sienna (7) and Delton (5).

"They took their kids over to his grandparents and are visiting for a few days. They'll be traveling down and back with the Winona pack," Leo replied.

"Who are we traveling with," Amy asked as we sat down.

"Let us give thanks first," Leo replied. We thanked the Moon Goddess for the blessings she gave, and for the food before us. There wasn't a lot of talk at first as we filled out plates, more like platters given the full slabs of ribs. My love for them hadn't slackened, and I could still eat myself into a meat coma. "The Summit is on private land northeast of Pensacola, bordering the Blackwater River State Park. We're taking a charter plane out of Red Wing, so you'll have to leave school about eleven and drive here. The four of us, along with Stillwater Alpha John and Luna Karen and their Betas, will depart at one in the afternoon. We should arrive at the Summit by six."

"We'll check-in, have dinner, and then Unmated Mixer begins at eight," Adrienne said. "Do you have your dresses?"

I nodded; my Mom had insisted, saying it could double as a Prom dress if I went this year. "I have one, but what's the point? If my mate is there, he's probably going to rip it off of me or get blood on it when he bites my neck. If he's not, I'm not sticking around to deal with drunk, horny males trying to sample my goodies."

"You're an adult now, an Alpha Mantle and Heir. Amy, you are Beta blood. The Mixer is a chance to make friends among those near your age, friends that will help once you take on greater responsibilities."

I set down a rib bone. "Yeah, about that," I said. "I would like you to announce at the Summit that the Miesville Pack Heir is your son Andrei."

A spoon hit the plate as Luna Adrienne looked over at me in shock. "What?"

"It's the right thing to do. Andrei is your blood while I am Leo's niece."

"My wolf adopted you when we first met," Leo said. "You are as much my daughter as he is my son." He looked over at his son, who was just as shocked.

"It is best for everyone, and we should be clear about it," I said. "My taking over Miesville has never been a given. We both know that if my mate is mantled as well, I'll have to go to his Pack. Andrei won't have that. His mate will come here."

"The chances of your mate being a mantled Alpha or Heir is very slim, Vicki. There are only a couple unmated males like that," Adrienne said.

I let out a breath; they didn't get it. "You don't understand me, Alphas. You look at the Alpha position as your birthright, and the best part of being a werewolf. You love being the heads of our Pack, and want that for me." Both of them nodded. "I'm not like that. I have plans for my life that cannot happen as an Alpha. My plans don't include an arrogant, overprotective male and sitting at home barefoot and pregnant."

"It doesn't have to be..." Adrienne started.

I held up my hand. "I've seen what happens when people find their mates. It changes them. Females who want to go to college and have a career are uprooted, move across the country, and sacrifice those dreams for their mates and new Packs."

"You know Miesville isn't like that! We encourage our females to complete their education and have a career," Leo said. "Your mother sat at this table after being mated, and we encouraged her to finish her education."

I nodded. "Yes, you did. A degree in elementary education, so she could take over the Pack School. Where would you use my degree in Marine Biology to help a Pack in Minnesota? How would my dream of conducting shark research at sea mix with being an Alpha?" They didn't say anything. "It won't. The difference between us is that you look at me finding my mate as the beginning of a great new life, while I see it as the end of my hopes and dreams."

No one knew what to say, so we went back to eating. It was Adrienne who broke the silence. "Amy, what do you think?"

She looked at me, then her Alphas. "Vicki and I have dreamed about going to school together and working on the ocean since we were little," she said. "I'm more worried than she is. She has a chance to stay here in Miesville, and I know her father would like her to take over Stillwater eventually. I could end up anywhere." As a Beta female, she would go wherever her Beta or Alpha-ranked mate lived. "I don't know if I'm going to finish high school here, much less be able to follow my dreams."

"Have you chosen a college," Adrienne asked.

"We've narrowed them down," I said. "Both of us have acceptance letters from the University of Minnesota and Eckerd College in St. Petersburg. I also have Duke and Oregon State, while Amy has North Carolina and the University of Washington. My first choice is Eckerd."

"Mine too," Amy said.

Leo thought about it as he ate a rib. "Minnesota is a good option if you stay. It's not likely your mate is nearby, as the area males were at your birthday party. It's best to delay any decisions until after the Summit," he said.

"What happens after the Scratch 'n Sniff if we don't have a mate," Amy asked.

"It turns into a weekend-long social event. There are training classes, fighting tournaments, and hunts if you aren't required to be in the meetings," Leo said. "We've learned to give the young males an outlet for their frustrations if they don't find a mate."

"We want to go diving," Amy said. "There are charters in Pensacola that will take us out to where the USS Essex, which was sunk as an artificial reef."

I could tell Leo was mind-linking with his mate before he talked again. "I'll make the two of you a deal," he said. "IF you participate fully in the Mixer and find at least two males to join you in the dive, I'll not just agree to your outing. I'll pay for it," he said.