She Loves You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Angie flinched noticeably at Blake's statement.

"I'm so sorry you lost your wife, Blake. I only saw her on video the time you saved that boy on the cliff, but she was a beautiful woman. I never meant to imply that my infidelity could have hurt you nearly as much losing her. That's a pain I can't even imagine.

"We never spoke after I came back from Reno all those years ago. I was only trying to convey my shame and embarrassment, not belittle your loss."

"I know that, Angie. You wouldn't do that, but I never thought you'd take up with an old boyfriend, either. You're forgiven. I moved on. My concern at the moment is why this beautiful little girl thinks I should be her father and what she and Faith have been telling each other," Blake replied. "Please explain what's going on."

"I'll give you the abridged version. Charlotte knows your DNA does not course through her veins. That said, she saw the video of you saving that boy on that cliff. She fell in love with the thought of having a father who looked and acted like you. She, with the help of her grandmother, have been cyber stalking you ever since. She friended your daughter on Facebook and the two of them are best buds now. I had to come to Montana for a job interview. Charlotte saw it as a chance to meet the man she wishes had sired her," Angie concluded as she studied Blake for his reaction.

There was no question that he radiated masculinity. His chest seemed to ripple under his tight shirt. He wore a short stubble beard which served to make him even more handsome than she remembered. Charlotte was totally at ease in his strong arms as she admiringly gazed at Blake.

"I think we've shared enough with everyone in town," Blake stated as he ran his eyes over the other diners. It was obvious every person in the room had watched and listened closely as the family drama played out.

"If I'd known you'd sit down and discuss our situation so calmly, I would have been more circumspect," Angie admitted. "You refused to even text me back when everything went south. I appreciate your kindness today."

Before Blake could respond, a dark haired ten-year-old girl rushed up to him. "Dad! Charlotte is sitting on your lap. I'm Faith, but you already know that, Charlotte. I'm glad Dad likes you. Is this your mom?"

The girl moved close to Angie and wrapped her arms around her. Angie immediately hugged the girl back and then offered her the seat next to hers.

"I'm Charlotte's mom. My name is Angie. I know Charlotte has told you all about me. Are these people your grandparents?"

An elderly couple had accompanied Faith into the dinner. Blake introduced them as his mother and father-in-law. Angie was somewhat surprised at how warm and friendly they were.

"We've been following Faith's online conversations with Charlotte, so we're not surprised to see that you're here today. Your daughter is a very determined girl. We just brought Faith back from our home so she could be with her dad now that his shift is over," Blake's smiling mother-in-law explained. "Stop in and visit us anytime. We'll leave you folks and get our shopping done while the weather holds."

"Why don't you and Charlotte follow me out to our house?" Blake suggested. "We can discuss things a bit more privately there."

"My mom is still at the souvenir shop. I'll pick her up first and then follow you," Angie agreed.

"Mom, can I ride with Faith and her dad?" Charlotte asked.

Angie gave Charlotte permission when Blake nodded slightly to show he was fine with it.

Angie and Sandra were both effusive in their praise of Blake's log home. It was like something out of modern western movie or TV show. The fireplace was the single most impressive feature, but the view of the valley with the town of Larsen in the distance was breathtaking. Soon after they arrived, Charlotte asked Angie about staying with Faith.

"Mom, Faith wants me to stay for a few days. Would that be okay? We aren't flying back home until next week. Can I stay with Faith and Blake?"

"Let me speak with Blake. I'll let you know in a few minutes," Angie replied before turning to Blake as Faith and Charlotte took off to see the horses.

"What are you doing here, Angie?" Blake asked as soon as they were alone. "We had a clean break ten years ago and now you're here in Montana acting all contrite and sorry. Your daughter is a beautiful little girl, but she has a strange view of my role in her life. That role, by the way, is nonexistent."

"I understand your concerns, but I don't have some nefarious plot, Blake. Charlotte saw you in that amazing video. When Dad mentioned it was you, she got it in her mind that you were 'supposed' to be her father. You were everything she dreamed a father would be and we had been married, so she arrived at the conclusion she did."

"How does her real father feel about that? Where is he, anyway?" Blake asked. "What's so terrible about him that Charlotte feels she needs to replace him. Does he mistreat her?"

"Her biological father wants nothing to do with her. He never did. He gave me a lump sum payout which I put in an educational account for Charlotte. He and I were never in love. We never even liked each other all that much," Angie admitted.

"You're telling me you threw away our marriage over some dirt bag who wasn't even willing to be a part of his daughter's life?" Blake asked in disgust.

"Essentially, that's pretty much it. Of course I didn't think you'd ever know so I didn't feel that I was throwing anything away at the time. I'm a lot smarter now.

"It took me years to figure out how you came by that video of my slutty behavior. A few years ago, when Charlotte became obsessed with you, I started paying attention to the social media of your friends and relatives.

I checked your cousin's posts. Bill had a bunch of photos and videos he took at Lake Tahoe the same weekend I was there. It seems his drone club gathers every year at a different, interesting location. He was in Tahoe with his expensive drone the same weekend I was visiting Donna. It didn't take much imagination to connect the dots. Bill dropped the dime on me."

"That doesn't answer my question," Blake reiterated. "Why are you here?"

"I was worried about Charlotte. I thought that if she actually met and interacted with you, she'd realize her dream was just that. The real world doesn't work that way.

"The one problem with my plan is the way you reacted to her. I assumed you would see her as the reason we divorced. She's the daughter of the man I betrayed you with, but you've been nothing but kind to her. My plan lasted until first contact," Angie stated ruefully.

"I'm trying to think of a plan B right now. She wants to stay and grow her friendship with your daughter. I want her to be a well adjusted young lady and that didn't look to be in the cards. Now she's in line for even more disappointment. She's all I have and nothing means more to me than her happiness," Angie told Blake. "I'm sure you understand since you're raising a daughter on your own."

"Why don't you let her stay a few days? She can ride Faith's pony, hike some of the local trails and maybe go fishing with Faith and me," Blake suggested. "I promise that I'll treat her like I would my own daughter. I'll make sure that she's safe and well cared for, even when I work.

"Faith has been having some issues of her own since her mother died. She knows I adopted her when I married Beverly. She's afraid now that her mother's gone, I might not want her around anymore. I'm working on building a stronger relationship with her, one where she is absolutely certain I'll never abandon her.

It was six days later when Angie and Sandra drove up to Blake's log home. Charlotte was waiting for her with her suitcase. Faith was chatting to her in rapid fire, choppy sentences. Angie didn't need anyone to tell her that Charlotte had made a great friend and had thoroughly enjoyed her stay.

"Mrs. Reynolds, my dad and I would like to invite you, Charlotte and her grandparents here for Thanksgiving. Dad said it was okay but I had to ask. He said you were more likely to refuse him than you are me," Faith revealed with a grin.

"Last year Thanksgiving was pretty sad. Dad and I just roasted a chicken and watched TV. Thanksgiving is supposed to be a good time with friends and relatives. That's why we want you to come. Charlotte and I are best friends, but I'd like to be your friend, too.

"That is so kind of you," Angie managed as she wiped a small tear from her cheek. "We don't have anything planned since it's a few months away. I'd have to confirm this with your father. I have to be certain he really wants us to come. I will not do anything to make his holiday unpleasant."

"Like Faith said, we both want you to come," Blake interjected from the house doorway. "You should know that Beverly's parents will be here as well. They seem to like you and they adore Charlotte, so there shouldn't be any drama."

"Grandma used the word 'drama' yesterday," Faith stated. "She said the whole town is still talking about the day you and Dad met in the diner. The spectators enjoyed the drama. She did laugh when she mentioned it."

"I guess we did air out our dirty laundry in public," Angie said. "I hope you aren't going to be on the receiving end of nasty comments because of my actions."

"Yeah, Dad hates it when beautiful women walk into a public place and single him out for special attention. Don't worry about it. No one ever teases Dad too much because he's so tough. Have you seen how big his arms are? You should see him with his shirt off."

"Faith, that's a little too much information," Blake responded before turning to face Angie. "We'll be expecting you and Charlotte for Thanksgiving. Try to talk your parents and Carla, along with her family, into coming, too. We have lots of room. I don't think we've ever come close to filling this house with guests, but Faith and I would like to try it."

"I'm sure Charlotte will be pressuring everyone to come to Montana for Thanksgiving. Should we bring winter clothes?" Angie asked.

"Yes, sometimes we get a fair amount of snow around Thanksgiving. We can snowmobile and toboggan if we get more than a few inches. If you rent a vehicle, I recommend a large four wheel drive with lots of clearance. They really make a difference in deep snow."

The trip home was filled with Charlotte recounting her adventures with Faith and Blake. The flight back to Virginia passed by quickly because Angie and Sandra heard how to bait a hook, fillet a fish, ride a horse, muck a stall and so many more little details about life in Montana. By the time Thanksgiving rolled around, Charlotte had convinced her grandparents, as well as Carla's family, that Blake and Faith truly wanted them to visit for the holiday.

Charlotte served as the tour guide for the group as Carla's husband drove the large Ford Expedition to Blake's home in the foothills. It was the Monday before Thanksgiving and the group had reservations to fly back to Virginia Saturday afternoon. Charlotte impressed even Angie with her knowledge of local points of interest and businesses. The roads were clear and the temperatures were in the fifties.

Faith ran down the porch as the large SUV pulled to a stop in the driveway. Charlotte was the first person out of the car and quickly hugged her friend. Blake greeted Charlotte with a warm hug before shaking hands with the others.

"You're not getting away with a mere handshake," Carla declared as she wrapped her arms around Blake and hugged him for a long time. "My God! It's like hugging a steel bar or something. You look terrific, Blake."

"I always heard you were Angie's older sister, but you don't look a day over 25," Blake replied glibly. "You haven't aged since the day I met you."

"My husband, Jeff, is standing right here so don't mention how great my ass looks and how long and toned my legs are, okay?"

"Unless he's having vision problems, I don't think it's necessary," Blake responded.

"I'm so glad you invited us out here for the holiday," Carla practically gushed. "Now I can see why you weren't all that fond of living in Virginia. Once you get used to Big Sky Country, cities and suburbs must seem pretty bad. Your home is beautiful."

Angie could tell her sister was doing everything she could to keep the conversation away from painful reminders of Angie's infidelity. She and Blake always got along very well and she acted like they saw each other all the time.

Blake smiled at Carla's observation and continued to shake hands and greet his guests. When he offered Angie his hand, she simply stepped inside it and kissed Blake quickly on the cheek before whispering in his ear.

"Thanks for being the man you are. My parents were worried about stirring up old memories, but Charlotte assured them that you harbored no ill will and would give them a warm welcome. You're a fine man, Blake."

"Faith and Charlotte will show everyone to their rooms. Charlotte will be bunking with Faith. Carla's two boys will share a room. Angie will have her own room, as will her parents. Carla and Jeff will have the big bedroom at the top of the stairs. Make yourself at home, please.

"I traded for a 12 hour shift tonight so I could get the rest of the week off. We swap like this quite often. As long as the shift is covered, our bosses don't mind. I'll be gone from 11 tonight until 11 tomorrow morning. Faith knows everything there is to know about this house and I trust her to help you find what you need."

The travelers had a quick tour of the house and horse barn before it was full dark. After a delicious meal which Blake admitted his mother-in-law had prepared earlier in the day, everyone joined in a brief discussion of the history and lore of Montana before calling it an early night.

Angie made sure she saw Blake before he left for work. "I know you do dangerous things all the time. It's the profession you've chosen and you're very good at what you do according to your friends and relatives. Just be extra careful tonight, okay? We all want you to be here to cut the turkey and make the toast."

"Thanks, Angie. I'm always careful. We have a great squad, so worry not. I should be home before noon, sleep deprived, but home. I'll see you then," Blake promised as he pulled his jacket out of the closet and walked out the door.

It was almost 10 AM the following morning when Faith answered the land line phone. Carla and Angie watched as she turned pale and began to sob. Angie quickly moved to her side and took the phone from Faith's shaking hand.

Angie explained who she was. Then she went silent as she listened intently. She had a very worried look as she returned the phone to its cradle.

"Blake was injured in an accident this morning. He's at Madison Memorial. They couldn't tell me his condition yet, but the woman said she had been told to notify his family and suggested we go to the hospital to learn more. I've got to get going. I need the keys to the rental."

"No, you will not be driving in your mental state. Jeff will drive us. I'll get him right now," Carla stated firmly.

When Jeff and Carla hurried out to the rental SUV, they found Angie, Faith and Charlotte anxiously waiting. They silently piled into the vehicle as soon as Jeff unlocked it.

At the hospital, Angie took Faith's hand and led her to the nearest nurse. "I'm Angie Reynolds and this is Faith Reynolds. We understand that my husband, Blake, who is Faith's father, has been admitted. Can you tell us where he is so we can see him, please?"

"He's the firefighter involved in that scene on 46? He's resting now. He was sedated for surgery, but I understand that he's not in any danger. Please go the waiting room and I'll tell his doctor that you're here," the nurse replied.

"You told her I was your daughter! That's what I want," Faith stated with emotion. "Dad had surgery but she didn't think he was going to die or anything. I hope he wasn't hurt very badly."

"I told the nurse you were Blake's daughter, but I would be proud to have you as a daughter," Angie replied with a slight smile. "Your dad's a big strong guy. He'll recover from whatever happened. Let's get to the waiting room."

Half an hour later, the doctor stepped into the waiting room, glanced around and immediately made his way to Angie.

"Mrs. Reynolds?" began the doctor before continuing at Angie's nod of assent. "Your husband suffered two broken wrists in the accident. They were relatively clean breaks. We were able to get them both set and pinned in place. We'll be placing both wrists in casts once we're satisfied there's no infection or swelling. He'll have both wrists in casts for the next five or six weeks but should recover completely as long as he follows my instructions.

"A nurse will be in shortly to take you to his room. You can talk to him briefly. He's had anesthesia, so he may be a bit disoriented at first."

It was only another minute before the nurse came to the waiting room. She saw the number of people waiting to see Blake and shook her head.

"We can't have all of you visit the patient. We need to keep visitors to a manageable number."

"Would it be okay if my mom, sister and I went with you to see him?" asked Charlotte before Angie could answer.

"Sure, that'll work. Follow me," the nurse replied as Angie gave Charlotte a questioning look.

"Dad! Are you in a lot of pain?" Faith asked her father as soon as she entered the room. "They said both of your wrists are broken."

"It hurt pretty bad at first, but I think they gave me something to reduce the pain," Blake answered as he studied Angie's face.

"I was told my wife and daughter wanted to see me. No one told me both my daughters were here."

"Did you just call me your daughter?" Charlotte excitedly whispered.

"Well, if Angie can stretch the truth a little, I think I can, too. I'm afraid I may have ruined the holiday for everyone. Thanksgiving is two days away and I can't do a damn thing. I was going to deep fry a couple of turkeys, but now I can't even put on my shirt. My insurance will cover a visiting nurse, but cooking Thanksgiving dinner is not a job requirement for them."

"I think Carla, Mom and I can prepare a pretty damn good dinner," Angie boasted. "Your job will be to entertain everyone with stories of some of your adventures and heal your wrists."

The two girls began chatting with Blake, but his attention was obviously waning. Angie decided it was time to let Blake get some rest. She had them give him a kiss on the cheek and tell him they would visit the next day.

Carla was talking to a man wearing a shirt with the word 'firefighter' emblazoned on it when they returned to the waiting room.

"This is Dave Wingate. He's Faith's uncle and Blake's brother-in-law. He's the one who talked Blake into becoming a firefighter. He was asking about Blake and just about to tell us about how Blake was hurt."

"Hi, I'm Angie Reynolds, Blake's ex-wife. We just saw Blake and he seemed very tired but was feeling as well as a man with two broken wrists can."

"I was at 'Mom's Place' earlier this year when you and Charlotte came in and tossed all that fodder into the local rumor mill. Oddly enough, most of the locals came away from that meeting sympathetic to your situation.

"Blake is extremely well liked in the county. When my sister died, his light seemed to go out. He did everything he could for Faith and he loves her to pieces, but the Blake we all knew withdrew. We hoped that he'd eventually pullout of his funk, but it wasn't happening. Your rather unorthodox encounter in front of dozens of locals started him back.

"He loved my sister, but she died and it almost destroyed him. You stood in front of the world and admitted you had come close to accomplishing the same thing years ago. People liked that you weren't proud of it, but accepted the consequences. So, believe me, I know who you are."