Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For those who passed, she wanted their parent's share of the inheritance divided out to their children if any. If not, that share goes back to the central trust. She worked for me over the years and received several commendations in addition to her regular pay as one of my agents.

She left her personal gear to the family armory to be assigned as needed. She lived simply and traveled a lot after Jarronus died. Even more so after Serius died. It took this long to do her will because of getting everyone here for the reading and I have had several to go through with the latest conflict. She asked that nobody try and contest her will."

She looked across and three of her children were grouped together and talked. Three of the ones in the new House that concerned her the most. They came back over to the table, "We would like to contest the will."

The Queen groaned and she looked up, "On what grounds?"

The elf known as Millium Silver Stream looked at her, "It should go to her living children only and then the gear should be sold and split or bought-out and divided if it is to be maintained by House Silvertree. She is a mother over several houses and the funds should be broken down to go out to all of the houses instead of just the Silvertree trust."

She sighed, "Anyone else?"

Nobody said anything. She looked up. "Her will was simple, but she did leave one clause to read if anyone contested her will.

'To those who contest my will; if a majority of my children then it goes back to the trust in its totality. If only a few then their shares go back to the trust. You all should know that all four of Jarronus's wives incorporated this same clause and this affects distribution from their wills as well. Once the first died all of the wills locked into place.'

I will execute the will accordingly. The same with the other wills, when their times come. Meaning the three of you get nothing from her estate. Also, nothing from any of the mothers' estates when the other 3 wills are read. You have effectively disowned yourselves.

You will not be summoned for the will readings when that occurs. I am sorry your house has made poor financial choices. You just tossed away over a million gold pieces each. As I said she had several commendations over the years and asked you not to contest her will."

Olivana stood, "My will is divided among my children that I bore. The same clause that all of his wives agreed too. I do not have near as much as Brima as I have been providing for all of my children, Silvertree and Silver Moon."

Zirra stood, "Olivana and I were the only ones who stayed and received extra money for staying out of harm's way. My will has the money divided out across all of the children I raised after Olivana remarried. If they have died the division is the same as Brima's will. Mirama has hers all going back to the central trust, except for gear going back to House Silvertree, if she dies last.

If not, it goes to me to be distributed according to my will. We locked them all in at the time and they are unchangeable now that one of us has passed. We ensured all of the children would receive something provided they were not greedy. We were not allowed to reveal this fact until now as part of our pact."

The three of them from House Silver Stream left immediately in a huff. The Queen shook her head but looked up as Serius's children talked with the Duke heir, Serions. Serions came over, "How precarious is there situation?"

She sighed, "You know I cannot discuss that in any detail. I will say they cannot put their children into debt after financial reforms your father asked about were implemented. He used the proceeds from one of the house attacks. He paid off all outstanding debt and gave money to the lower 2,000 houses.

Then he asked me to never let anyone put their children into a situation as Zirra faced by her parents. Borrowing without personal assets to back up the transaction is forbidden.

The debt cannot be collected if the children, as adults, did not sign onto the debt. The same goes for parents and siblings. If they did not sign onto the debt then it is not their debt to pay back. They went in on some business ventures together.

They lost a substantial part of their inheritance from birth. This was expected by Jarronus and he hoped others would learn and live in service instead. They have options like the military and dutchy security forces.

Buying into smaller and less risky business ventures. Selling off assets to reduce their debt. They are not in as bad of shape that you need to be worried about them. This was defined by choices they made, including contesting Brima's will today."

Serions shook his head, "It is you we are worried about because of your ruling. It was correct but desperate people might take drastic actions."

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "Understood. Charlus would you meet me in my Audience chamber."

Charlus bowed to her and went down to her Audience chamber and waited at the door.

Let the Games Begin

She came down and entered while Charlus followed. She signaled her escorts back. She sealed the room and she looked at him, "What did you tell them?"

Charlus bowed, "Your Majesty, I told them if they had questions to ask you. Serions tried to get information out of me during the delay because he knew I was here training. I told him I was training to be a diplomat and not his spy in the Palace. Needless to say, he did not like my answer.

The other mothers and grandmothers told Serions the same thing. Her will would be read when you brought it forward to be read. Millium tried to press me for information and I told him the same thing just last week, Your Majesty."

She nodded, "How much do you know?"

Charlus sighed, "Possibly more than you, Your Majesty. They are getting that desperate for funds. The 3+ million would have bought them a few months, maybe, but they should have cut their losses years ago. Their house will be insolvent in days.

Silver Stream would cease to exist based upon the laws for all but 1 and his 2 wives and 2 children in the Academy. One wife is infertile. He was not present; he had distanced himself from the others after several failed business schemes.

They were upset when his wives told him no more 'quick get rich schemes' and slammed the door on Millium's efforts to get him to buy-in, even after this latest conflict was over. They got an infusion of money from somewhere else, yet they have already lost it all to creditors. No records on where the money came from at the bank.

They gambled on a long war and looked to corner the market for supplies needed to fight that war. Now they are stuck with supplies they have little to no market for currently. At least without selling at a loss for what they paid for the supplies, Your Majesty."

She nodded, "What do you see them trying to do?"

He looked at her, "A string of several disownments to save what little they have in liquid assets or trying to pull it out of the bank. Not very likely to succeed. The people holding their line of credit with their home and belongings as collateral will be all over them in days if not hours of you putting out the ruling.

You had the three 'elders' of the house in that meeting, as I said the fourth had distanced himself and his family from this latest fiasco. The quick resolution of this last conflict did not bode well for their businesses and they were desperate before the will was read. The Spy Master is concerned for them and knows you delayed the will because of this situation.

He has expressed only a small chance of an attack against you for the ruling, close to 5%. I think I am a better judge of their character. I think they are 10 times more likely to attack. At least the spokesman of the group, Millium."

She sighed, "Millium Silver Stream is what he went and changed his name too. Play on the word Million. Why do you think he is a higher risk?"

Charlus looked at her, "Children in the Academy, he has more of them than the others. He has 21 children with 4 wives, 2 others who died in childbirth. If the house is liquidated the children would likely be out of the Academy.

The family members will not be able to afford to live in the Capital. Let alone pay for their books and such. You have destroyed many houses and left the children in the Academy. Even in the case of sedition or attempted regicide.

If you have any enemies within your own house, they might buy up the debt as an investment. I know a couple of branches hold a portion of the debt already. They buy it up then they could potentially forgive the debt if one of them succeeded in killing you.

The problem with your will, in regards to the Moon Blade holders, is they could install a new ruler before they are assembled. Then strike that clause. You should look to set up that trust now. At least for a good portion of those assets.

With the rest set on a contingency to be transferred to the Dragon or Dwarven Capital Banks. The banks have bracelets that you could use to do just that. The money would be returned to the Trust or your central account based upon the signature of 10 Moon Blade Holders.

All of whom agree to which account the money should go too. Then there is the power aspect. If they cannot get it through greed, they will seek it through power. Setting your heirs to the crown down 20 levels would help.

You have at least 40 branches that are loyal to you. Many have no power in your family, or should I say House, due to their size. Both would require a royal conclave with all Dukes and Duchesses of the court present. I would ensure the Spy Master is watching the bank and should monitor who holds the debt, Your Majesty."

She looked at Charlus, "Resolution?"

He looked at her, "Buy the debt yourself. Sell off the business assets and put the parents to work in the military or better the duchy to give them more distance, Your Majesty."

She nodded, "Wait in the hall for a moment."

He went out and sat on a bench. Over 2 hours passed and he was summoned back in. She looked at him as she sealed the door. "The Spy Master agreed with your updated assessment. As of an hour ago, all the debt was bought by one Goldeagle branch. A meeting was held with all 3 elders and the head of that Goldeagle branch. Millium was detained coming back into the palace.

Guards found a set of bracers that had a hidden weapon like a bracelet and that stored wands. The sword was designed to hit the victim with negative energy. If it critically hit it could disintegrate who got hit by it.

The other two members of his house who left that meeting were picked up and being questioned off-site. The elder for that Goldeagle branch is being called in for questioning but that is a mere formality. Once one of their spies in the palace saw him being detained upon entry, that branch tried to offload the debt at a 10 to 1 loss.

It was bought by one of my other agents. I now hold all of the debt and the proof of the conspiracy. The Spy Master was watching the House but not the debt accounts to see if that had changed hands. He felt there were too many creditors to be concerned about that. Buying debt when a house is about to go down is insanity. Unless they planned to do exactly what you described. What would you do now?"

Charlus looked at her, "Sell off the assets and recoup your investment. There are 7 conspiring adult members to that house invested in this business. All but 1 with his 2 wives would have lost everything. The one not investing money into the ventures in question. His personal accounts are not large but they are enough to protect him, his wives, and 2 children. He owns a small general store in town.

Fine them half of the remaining assets, and set up what is left in a trust to be overseen by this one for the children in the Academy of their dead parents. Assuming you execute them in accordance with the law. Bring in Madam Mind to search for liquid assets from all involved, Your Majesty.

Also get a legend & lore done on that sword to discern, or divine what the plan for it was. That is a very unique weapon and likely was given to him by someone, possibly even someone not in the financial loop of things, Your Majesty."

She looked at Charlus, "Your view of the House differs from the Spy Master. He believes all of that House should be liquidated and children shunted out of the Academy."

Charlus nodded, "Yes, I can see his point, Your Majesty."

She smiled, "But you disagree."

He smiled, "Your Majesty, I am still in training and not allowed to overrule or question him. But yes, I disagree. I would make it known to the other members of the houses and remind them. Remind them that you are ever vigilant. I already covered the hole concerning the Moon Blade wielders.

The problem with your move is if they can get a majority of the house to install a Royal before the Moon Blade Wielders are assembled. Some backroom deals were likely in play as well and you need to find them all.

Until the investigation is completed with the signature of 10 blade wielders to transfer it back and into the central trust if required, as I suggested earlier. You just need to set the rules for it. Greed and power.

If they cannot get greed directly, they will take power and generate what they lost to greed. The second option and more time consuming to build up those kinds of funds again and they would not likely stop.

Again, I mentioned this earlier but expanded on your investigation. Those actions, of course, require calling a royal conclave to change the rules. Something I would look to do as soon as the investigation is completed. I would also issue those glasses to every member of your royal bodyguard in addition to the Royal Guard Captains. Start wearing yours again, Your Majesty."

She smiled, "I had myself enchanted."

Charlus looked at her, "You check that how often, Your Majesty?"

Queen Goldeagle looked at Charlus, "Check."

He cast detect magic on her. Charlus shook his head, "Disenchanted at some point. Someone got close enough to you to do it without your knowledge. Another coup attempt is in the works again. It would be a reasonable guess given today's events thus far.

I would work to identify all of your protection devices in private and replace any that have been replaced or disenchanted as well. Careful of who you share this information with, Your Majesty."

Queen Goldeagle sighed, "Damn it."

She identified the glasses she pulled and then put them on. She handed him a set, "Sit in the back of the court today. I will get my royal guards issued in my protection detail issues a set after the court today. Take this note to my Guard Captain and check his glasses in his office."

Charlus took the note and she released him from the office.

---

She got on the crystal which she had left open and spoke with the Spy Master., "He is gone."

He chuckled, "I told you he is the likely candidate to replace me when I retire."

Queen Goldeagle sighed, "I want a second option as he may be focused on external threats when that time comes. He has a vested family interest in the Knights and he may look to go that route given how his father died."

The Spy Master sighed, "You know who that is already. Been groomed my grandson for 400 years but feels threatened by Young Silvertree."

Queen Goldeagle sighed, "Bring him in with you when you come. I want you here by normal means as soon as possible."

---

Charlus walked through the throne room with the glasses on. He knocked on the Guard Captains' door. He called out, "Enter."

Charlus walked in and the Guard Captain had company. Bad company. Charlus closed the door and looked at the Captain, "The Queen asked me to deliver this note to you."

He moved back from the desk so the 'elf' he talked to was between them. He had never killed before but he was about to do it. The Guard Captain read the note. The person he talked with leaned over to read it.

Charlus got his blades out unseen, his sheathes were well oiled to cut down on the sound. He saw the 'elf' rub his hand with a ring on it. As he moved to remove it, Charlus struck with both blades. His main sword set to paralyze the target. He got both blades in him and he froze. He struck him again before the Guard Captain could get out of his chair. The half-dragon in the ring was dead as he fell over.

Charlus released the secondary blade and handed the guard captain his glasses. He put them on and saw what Charlus saw. The Guard Captain watched as Charlus cleaned his blades on the dead half-dragon and then sheathed his swords. He turned to the Guard Captain, "Nice work on killing this intruder. Luring him into your office so it would not be in the throne room."

The Guard Captain looked at Charlus, "You are asking me to claim to have killed the creature."

Charlus smiled, "Publicly, yes. We know the truth as will the Queen. You will be celebrated as a hero publicly and I will privately. Let me confirm this thought with the Queen and check your glasses. The decision in this matter falls to the Queen."

He handed Charlus his glasses. They had been disenchanted completely or replaced with a blank. Charlus looked at him, "Where have you taken these off at? Someplace where someone else could touch them? Please be honest as I have a direct crystal to the Queen."

The Guard Captain sighed, "Two nights ago I visited Crandela's House of Pleasure. A couple of lovely elven women showed me some of the latest toys to arrive. Then we had a practical demonstration."

Charlus looked at him, "You where is a whore house essentially?"

The Guard Captain nodded. He cringed inside as he did not like being questioned by a child. But he had read the note. Charlus pulled out his crystal, "Your Majesty, Nothing important. I just wanted to know if you were free to speak with me?"

He heard her sigh, "I am secure your instructor is with me with his heir apparent when he steps off the field."

He knew who she talked about. He was glad to hear she had de-escalated the problems between them with that statement. Charlus looked at the Guard Captain, "Can you secure this room Guard Captain?"

He walked over and activated his crystals. Charlus sighed, "We have a dead half-dragon in the Guard Captain's office. I killed it as the Guard Captain's glasses were replaced or completely disenchanted. The half-dragon was going for a ring removal at the time. I was suggesting the Guard Captain take credit for the kill to keep me out of the picture, Your Majesty."

She sighed, "Do you have a teleportation circle in memory?"

Charlus smiled, "I have 3 of them at the moment. Where do you wish me to go and with whom?"

She sighed, "My Audience chamber. Releasing teleportation. Bring everyone in the room, including the dead body."

He looked at the Guard Captain, "If the Queen commands it, I will bring you back here and help clean up this mess. Just release teleport."

He reached over and released it. Charlus took his glasses back and gave the guard his disenchanted blank glasses back. He teleported the Guard Captain, the body, and himself into the Queen's Audience Chamber.

She looked at Charlus, "That was dangerous."

He nodded, "The half-dragon leaned over to read your note to the Guard Captain. Then he was going for his ring. I brought him down quietly with the only witness being the Guard Captain. My main hand blade has paralysis enchanted into the blade.

The glasses he wears have been completely disenchanted or he is wearing blanks. I have a lead for the Heir Apparent or my Trainer. They might be able to follow up on what I discovered from the Guard Captain already. Regarding where the glasses were likely switched, Your Majesty."

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "Take the Guard Captain back to his office. This event did not occur. Guard Captain here is another set of glasses. Be more diligent in keeping them on at all times. I assume this happened out of the Palace?"