Sin and Penance Ch. 01

Story Info
A senior class of Catholic School Girls die and go to Hell.
4.5k words
4.31
6.4k
9
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 11/16/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1 - Afterlife

It was a terrible tragedy six months ago, at the annual Winter Carnival held by Saint Madeleine's Sisters of the Heavenly Father All-Girl Prep-School. Safety regulations in Arkham weren't strongly enforced by the previous District Attorney. The small school's senior year class of girls were setting up the soundstage and audio equipment when the ice collapsed. The icey death trap swallowed all of the wealthy school's twelfth graders. Nobody had thought to tell the faculty that they couldn't set up the fête on the frozen Miskatonic River. Only a month shy of graduation.

Twenty five bodies were fished out of the river by police divers;

Twenty four students and their teacher. The girls were all aged between eighteen & nineteen and the teacher herself was only twenty seven. All of them died within seconds of touching the freezing water. It was a national tragedy. Vigils were held in major cities across the state.

But what the survivors and mourners of these apparently good young Catholic women didn't know, was that these hapless girls now faced the cruel judgment of the afterlife.

The girls didn't remember their deaths, only the ice breaking underneath them and then giving way. They recalled falling through a void, before being embraced by an aged yet beautiful asian woman, garbed all in white. Her touch was cold, but also strangely comforting. Maternal almost - Matron Death did not ever judge her children. She left that job to others. Death released them from her embrace, and they found themselves in a very strange place.

A hot place. One that smelled of sulfur. And brimstone.

It didn't take them long to fill in the gaps and realize where they were.

It didn't make sense. They were all god fearing Catholics from wealthy Arkham families.

Why had they been sent to Hell? Could God have gotten it wrong? Surely, even he must from time to time. They were afraid and uncertain of what the future had in store for their souls.

But the girls had faith that their god would correct his mistake.

They sat distraught on the rocky banks of The Styx illuminated by the fiery river's warm glow. The class's teacher, Mrs Warner tried to comfort the frightened girls as best she could.

She assured them that this was surely some kind of unfortunate clerical error.

They were all good Catholics and surely didn't belong here in Hell.

The woman promised to sort out the mix up so they could go on up to Heaven - As soon as they were able to see someone in charge.

In her experience, there was nothing that couldn't be solved by speaking to the manager.

But the terrible truth was that some of these girls were not as innocent as they claimed.

Their rich families bred into them twisted and affluent morality. Modernization had taught them a rather liberal interpretation of their religions' holy texts.

That is, liberal by biblical standards. Even for a Catholic sect, Saint Madeline's Cathedral was especially strict. Though apparently not strict enough.

The Catholic Church might leave room for flexibility in the scriptures but Yahweh most certainly did not.

However, this ambivalence manifested itself in a somewhat more malevolent way in seven of these girls. They were raised to become wicked sinners. They weren't damned for breaking an irrelevant, obsolete passage of the tome like the majority of the condemned were. No.

These girls were truly evil and heinous. They would be coming here to burn. The crimes they committed were in the forefront of their brains, and the fear they felt for the wrath they knew they would now face was indescribable - Even if they would never admit either to their classmates or their teacher.

The Catholic school class consisted mostly of privileged and rich white girls. The daughters of Arkham's Catholic elite. Ironically, they weren't too much different from the demonic heiress who was currently the Regent of the unholy place the class found themselves in.

There were three token minorities in the group among the small sea of white flight spawn. Though these girls were just as spoiled and privileged as their anglo contemporaries - despite the colour of their skin. True privilege was colour blind. After all, green is the only colour that really mattered when you got down to it.

While the underworld filled with more and more souls damned by Yahweh in these less traditionalist times, the method of transportation by way of Charon's ferry remained the same. While it was hardly efficient, it never affected the operations of Hell enough for anyone to modernize. After all, demons could wait an eternity.

Charon's ferry could hold no more than thirty passengers at any given time, including himself. Charon would make ten or fifteen trips a day. He would only work between the hours of 6am and 6pm, except on Sundays - Which he had free to himself. This was the only day that the ferry didn't make the trip. On Monday morning, Charon was always there, ceaselessly and without fail, to take mortals to their final destination.

Over the course of the month, the girls would watch Charon arrive and take a group onto his ferry. Each time he would ask for a toll from his passengers. And each time they couldn't pay, he took the clothes off their backs before allowing them to board. Men, women. He didn't discriminate.

Occasionally, one of the lost souls would give the hooded skeletal figure a valuable coin or a trinket and they would be allowed to board wearing their garments.

Hardly anyone was buried with their fare anymore and Charon had to make a living somehow. He missed the days of Rome and Greece when people knew what he was about.

It was for this reason that the ferryman now took the clothes of his passengers in lieu of payment. He wasn't a pervert. As a wraith, he was beyond such things. But clothes were something tangible that he could trade, and most souls wouldn't be needing them in Gehenna or Babel anyway.

Charon was a short tempered being who apparently lived in a perpetual state of frustration towards the souls of the living. A skeletal figure with fiery red eyes always adorned in a black robe; He is often mistaken for the Grim Reaper and doesn't care much for this.

He was far from ignorant of his terrible form and sullen demeanor - But Charon knew Matron Death quite well and he always thought she was a very kind and beautiful woman.

He considers this misconception to be a grievous insult to his good friend, and any souls foolish enough to share this ignorance with him receive a sharp, but hard wallop from his paddle - The oar Charon used to row the liquid fires of the Styx was the only thing that distinguished him from pop-culture incarnations of the Reaper.

As the forlorn girls watched him over the months, they learned that he was far from shy to use it against the backsides of souls who became unruly, or delayed his very strict schedule. Those that suffered his wrath usually had to stand up for the journey. If an entire group was unruly, he'd usually only have to paddle one or two before the rest fell in line.

Charon was not a pleasant man but he also wasn't overly wicked either. It was not his job to judge the damned, only to transport them across the River Styx.

But he was never fond of those who made his occupation more difficult for him. And they never escaped his fury if they brought it upon themselves.

One morning Mrs Warner woke up on the fiery shore to find that they were now first in-line at the ferry station. The teacher woke her students hastily, reminding them all not to delay the infernal ferryman's strict schedule.

"Wake up girls, best not to keep Mr. Charon waiting." She said in her sweetly tone. "That paddle of his looks quite unpleasant."

Today was the day. That after what seemed like endless waiting - Their time had finally come. As the girls groggily got up on their feet, they wandered to the ferry wharf filled with mixed emotions.There was relief, certainly, that they did not have to wait on the rocky banks of a fiery river. But there was also dread at the uncertainty of what followed.

The seven sinners amongst them had a pretty good idea of what might await them. Somehow, knowing made it worse.

Mrs Warner sensed the group's falling spirits. The truth was, she was terrified, but hid it behind a confident smile.

"Don't worry girls, when we get... Wherever we're going, I'll speak to whoever's in charge and we'll sort everything out."

She heard a voice call out a query from the line of students.

"Will we have to... Take off our clothes like the others did?"

Who it was, she couldn't quite tell, not that it was particularly important. Mrs Warner would have to encourage all her students - Even though she knew she was no longer in control of the situation.

"I'm sure we can work something else out." Assured the mild mannered woman through a convincing enough smile. "Mr Charon seems like a reasonable man."

Her simple words seemed to lull her students, at least momentarily. The colour came back into their faces. Mrs Warner straightened her spectacles and peered down the magma stream. She could see Charon in the distance, and despite being accustomed to his appearance now - The foreboding sight made her gasp nonetheless.

The woman clapped her hands together loudly, conducting the girls as if they were on a field trip.

"Form an orderly line, ladies." Instructed Mrs Warner in an admirably professional manner.

"Please stand in two rows so we don't inconvenience everyone else." She said, pointing to the endless line of damned souls behind them.

The current taxied Charon's ferry to shore. He only had to direct it. It was a good start to what he knew would be a bad morning. Today was the Catholic group. High School Seniors and College Students were always bad enough but Catholic ones were always the worst.

He wasn't looking forward to this trip.

Charon took his time mooring his ferry to the dock. He thought about how he'd have to waste another Sunday in Pandaemonium selling clothes to make his rent. He cursed Lucifer under his breath for not paying him a salary, then he cursed God, because he figured he was equal in blame.

The ferryman sighed heavily as he finished the knot - Despite his lack of lungs. He tossed the hessian sack over his shoulder and stepped onto the pier. There wasn't a day in the past 200 years that he hadn't needed it.

The skeletal figure approached Mrs Warner and his ghostly voice rang out across the river banks.

"Salutations, ma'am. I am the ferryman Charon." He spoke in a surprisingly polite manner.

I will be taking your group across the Styx now."

Mrs Warner took a step towards the ferry, but Charon gently stopped her with his paddle.

"I am sorry ma'am, but you and your students must pay a toll to board my ferry."

The dead teacher no longer had her handbag or wallet. She had no money to pay the ferryman. She knew that her girls' uniforms had no pockets, and that none of the girls had any trinkets on their person. The Catholic school strictly banned its students from wearing jewelry or accessories of any kind. Except for crucifixes and rosaries.

But they all correctly assumed that both were equally worthless here.

Mrs Warner quietly cursed the school board under her breath.

"I-I'm sorry M-Mr Charon sir, but none of us have any fare to give you."

The spectre pointed its bony finger towards the 8 carat wedding ring on the woman's finger.

"Your wedding ring is a valuable trinket that will suffice, ma'am."

He looked back at the scared young women cowering behind their teacher.

"But the others must pay their own way."

Mrs Warner's heart sank. She loved her husband dearly and he still lived. The woman had no idea when she might be reunited with him. She couldn't give the spectral ferryman her wedding band. Its sentimental value was worth more to her than her shame was. Sorrow cracked the woman's tone as she refused.

"I can't give you my wedding ring... It's the only thing I have to remind me of my husband!"

Beyond that, she had to be an example for the others. They may have been adults, but she was still responsible for them. If they had to be humiliated, so did she.

The fiery eyed spectre was a little perturbed by the woman's reluctance to part with her trinket. The ring would fetch him a good price indeed. The wraith delivered his secondary ultimatum, as he pulled the sack from his shoulder - He had to make a living somehow.

"Then I will take the clothes off your back."

Mrs Warner hoped that the revenant wouldn't have uttered those words. Surely he could see that they were all good Catholics and shouldn't be debased in that way. Why weren't they getting preferential treatment? 'Someone upstairs made a very big mistake indeed' she thought.

The teacher was sure that some other form of payment or trade could be made, though she wasn't sure what else a spectre might want.

"Really now, we are a school group. Surely we can arrange something else?" She pleaded to the ferryman.

But the ferryman sternly shook his head.

"The souls with you were no longer girls at their passing, but young women. They must be treated as such."

The skeletal figure looked at her sympathetically.

"I am sorry ma'am, but I must make my living."

He felt sorry for the woman. She seemed like a nice enough lady and it was a shame that the woman's faith turned out to be for naught. But he couldn't make an exception for her or the students with her. It would set an example that he didn't plan on upholding.

"This is how things work here. I ask this of everyone. You can stay on the banks if you like, but it is not wise to delay me, ma'am."

He held up the large oar he wielded and rubbed its paddle threateningly. The woman swallowed her pride. She did not want to upset this hellish creature but she refused to part with her wedding ring. It probably was best if she just gave the wraith her clothes.

"N-No of course not Mr Charon!"

The girls stood around curiously as their teacher began to undress. Some covered their eyes but others paid very close attention. Mrs Warner swapped between her standing legs as she bent one back to remove her high heels, before repeating this with the other foot. Once she took both shoes off, she placed them in the open sack.

The woman then slid her black skirt off and also tossed it into the hessian bag. Unbuttoning her red blouse, the bespectacled and busty teacher slid her arms out of it and tossed it with her other garments.

It embarrassed the prudish teacher to reveal the white lace lingerie that she wore underneath her blouse and skirt. The girls giggled and whispered to each other about how buxom and in shape their teacher was. She blushed. It embarrassed her, though she felt flattered by her students' comments.

Mrs Warner was wearing the lingerie to surprise her husband at the end of the carnival night with a treat. Instead, she surprised him with her untimely death. He didn't mind much, though. To him, that was the treat.

Mr Warner had been cheating on her with the neighbor woman for about 12 months before she died. The busy and naive Catholic high school teacher had no idea.

Now her husband could drop all pretensions of being a good christian and just have lustful sex with his new wife every night. Mrs Warner was a virgin. He never wanted children, so she only ever gave him hand jobs. It wasn't enough to satisfy the sexual deviant that Mr Warner secretly was.

But after many suburban cookouts, he found someone who could; Their neighbor Trudy; a wyrd neo-age type. Mrs Warner thought that she was a heathen - She'd despise knowing that her husband was having an affair with a pagan. It's a good thing she didn't know.

Mrs Warner unclipped the back of her bra and slowly slipped it off her shoulders. Covering her breasts with her left arm to save some of her modesty, she held the brassiere up with two fingers and dropped it into the sack. With only her right hand, she fumbled away at her panties. It took her several tugs to bring them down to her legs.

Charon was not normally this patient but he liked this woman.She seemed more polite than most and he knew that hardcore Catholics were always very distressed to find themselves here. Not like some of the pagans and new age types that often show up. He indulged the woman's attempts at humility.

Eventually, Mrs Warner pulled the panties off and crossed her legs to obscure her womanhood. She tossed them into the skeletal figure's bag and then immediately covered her crotch with her right hand. Her round backside was exposed to the air and earned giggles from the school girls.

When he collected all of the articles worn by their teacher, the withered figure looked towards the Catholic school girls. They were nervous, confused, and worst of all, still dressed in their uniforms. If people were so modest, why didn't they have the good sense to die with some change in their pockets? The man had to make a living.

He was sick of freeloaders asking for a free ride. If they wanted to take his ferry, they had to pay. He didn't discriminate against men or women.

You either gave him your coin, or you gave him your clothes.

Charon thought that by now word would have passed down to the mortal world. The skeleton shook his head and pointed at the group. His ghostly voice sent chills down the young women's spines.

"I haven't got all day, ladies. Throw them in a pile. Fare dodgers get no special treatment!"

Embarrassed and a little shocked, the blonde Catholic teacher turned back to her students. She tried in vain to hide her shame, but her limbs succeeded in covering very little of the religious woman's naked body. Her breasts spilled out of her arm-brasserie and her surprisingly plump backside was on full display. The fires of the River Styx reflected in the glass of her spectacles.

"Well girls." She sighed "You heard him."

The Catholic girls looked at each other a little hesitant, but their teacher had shown them her example. It appeared that she approved of this course of action. Each of the girls just wanted to be anywhere but on the bank of this molten hot river, so they resigned themselves to the task that the cloaked phantom had asked them to perform.

They'd do anything to leave this horrible place. The senior year fatalities unfastened their leather school shoes first, and removed them from their feet. The white thigh high socks that covered their dainty feet slipped off next, and the girls threw them both on the ground together.

Then the pious teenagers pulled down their green tartan skirts, took off their green ties and unbuttoned their white blouses. This revealed that each girl wore the same boring conservative white underwear and bra set underneath. This was the kind of school that had strict regulations about such things.

They took off their blouses and placed them in the pile with the rest of their clothes. The girls were reluctant to go any further but their teacher gestured to them frantically that they continue. It was clear that the woman was afraid. They all were. This seemed like the best way to get through it for now.

The privileged school girls unclipped their bras, slipped them off and tossed them into the growing pile. Then they yanked down their white panties and stepped out of them. When they were completely naked, they dropped their underwear into the mess of clothes.

Some of the girls attempted to hide their shame in a similar manner to their teacher, but others didn't bother. But, perhaps out of a last shed of modesty, they all tried to keep their green hairbands - But the skeletal spectre shook his head.

"Accessories as well, I'm afraid. They fetch a good price at the markets. Put them in the pile too."

The girls frowned, then reluctantly took their school headbands out of their hair and also threw them into the pile. The cloaked spectre approached the pile and started collecting the clothes and tossing them into the sack as the girls had seen him do numerous times in the long month they had lurked upon the brimstone banks.

12