Six Degrees Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, March 3d. "Channel Two News is bringing continuing coverage of the trial of former EMT Jimmy Lawson, who is accused of murdering Union leader Jack Naples during the EMT Strike!"

Bettina started in: "With little time to prepare for this trial, both Prosecution and Defense will be hard pressed to make their cases. Prosecutor Dwayne Gregory is getting his first shot at what D.A. Krasney calls a 'major' case, while Defense attorney Mike G. Todd of the firm Madison & Ives Law Firm, P.C., is a relative newcomer to our County. He formerly practiced contract law in the town of Apple Grove, a couple of States over from here."

"Experts believe this case should be an easy win for the Prosecution." Bettina continued. "Yesterday the Coroner showed evidence that a scalpel owned by Lawson from his days in an Army medical unit was the weapon that killed Mr. Naples. Several Police Officers have been called to testify, but today is the crown jewel of the Prosecution's case, when Commander Donald Troy will be called to the stand. His testimony is expected to be devastating..."

"Ooooooh," said Martin Nash. "Crown jewel. Devastating. They're not building you up, are they Commander?"

I flashed a brief smile. "What I want to know... is who are these so-called 'Experts' ov vich shee speeeks."

"Who do you think they are, sir?" asked Joanne Cummings. "Besides yourself, of course."

"Oh, I'm not the one giving Bettina background info." I said. "I think half the time she says 'experts', she's giving her own opinion, or the opinion KXTC tells her to have, and using 'experts' to make people believe it's fact and not just the Media trying to steer and make opinion."

"The Media would never try to make news or steer our opinions, would they?" asked Theo Washington, deadpan serious. We all gaped at him until he gave his 'movie star handsome' grin, then we all laughed.

After watching the Sports coverage, I said "Okay, guys, I've got to go get dressed for Court. Y'all have a good day, and keep things as quiet as they have been all this past week, okay?"

"We'll do that, Commander." said Cindy. "Nice and quiet, like it always is when you're not around." Laughter erupted as a red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In his nasally voice, Dwayne Gregory said "Your Honor, the People call Police Commander Donald Troy to the stand."

The trial was being held in the Old Courthouse, with it's high ceiling and church-like walls and windows on the sides, the pews full of observers. The back doors opened to admit Your Iron Crowbar.

I saw Paulina sitting on the Prosecution side, near the back of the Courtroom. Her eyes flashed fire when she saw me. She would have had me wear my Duty Dress uniform at the very least. But today I was wearing the simplest of Police uniforms: dark blue, a barely-visible double-line of black 'piping' on the sides of the legs, long sleeve uniform shirt with matching color tie tucked into the shirt. It was like Orange Order Day.

This uniform was a bit big on me, as I normally wore light armor underneath the shirt. Without that, it looked loose and frumpy. In addition, as I walked up the aisle, I did not stand at my full, broad-shouldered, imposing 6'4" height, but stooped just a little. My walk was not an unconscious swagger, but an almost nervous shuffle. I could feel the eyes of everyone on me as I approached the bench, letting the Bailiff guide me.

Taking the stand, I was sworn in and I sat down. I could not be dressed improperly, so I had to have the silver-bordered red rectangle and silver-bordered purple rectangle over my nameplate on my right side. But I'd put just a little space between them, and they were ever so slightly off center. In addition, my badge over my left pocket was not brightly shined as it normally was, and looked dull.

I also took advantage of the option to wear the silver 'TCPD' insignia on my left collar and my rank on my right collar, instead of two 'TCPD' insignia on the collars and my rank prominently displayed on the epaulettes of my shirt near the shoulders. And the letters and the rank were miniatures, not full sized, which was not improper uniform wear (especially if it was me doing it), but did not exude my normal power or authority.

For those that don't know and/or have never been on jury duty: the legal process in a Courtroom is slow. The Prosecution has to slowly build every block from the foundation up, not unlike Carole playing with her toys. So the normal course of action would be for the Prosecutor to build me up as a witness, sort of an 'earn the right' thing to impress the Jury.

"State your full name and occupation, please?" said Gregory.

"James Donald Troy. Police Officer." I replied. I could feel more than see Paulina shuffle herself around; she'd have had me say 'Police Commander', of course.

"What is your position with the Police Department?" asked Gregory.

"Police Commander." I replied. At this point, Paulina would elaborate, or have me elaborate that this was Second-In-Command of the entire Police Force. Gregory did not do so. Also, normally at this time Paulina would ask to read my record of service, and at least my medals, into the Court record. Medals of Valor impress juries. Gregory did not do this.

"You were at the crime scene where Mr. Naples was found dead?" asked Gregory.

"Yes." I replied.

Gregory asked me to describe the crime scene, which I did. Then he asked me to evaluate the position of the body on the floor.

"Objection!" cried out the Defense counsel, Mike G. Todd. "This witness has not be established to be an expert witness, and he has been on this Police Force for only three years."

At this point, Paulina would spell out my military M.P. career, reassert my position within the Police Force, comment on my number of successful cases, mention that I was Top Third in my Police Academy Class, Top 10% of my Advanced Class, and Top of the Class, No. 1 in my Class, at Detective School, and so on and so forth, then say that this "more than qualifies him as an expert witness".

Judge Folsom looked over at Gregory, expecting to hear this and routinely overrule the objection. But Gregory only said "I withdraw the question, Your Honor."

I saw Paulina actually come up out of her seat before catching herself. She was en fuego now. I merely sat there like a bump on a log. Judge Folsom was shocked, but he said "Very well. And the objection is sustained." Gregory was now playing cards with a weak hand, so to speak.

Gregory had me confirm several statements by witnesses. The Defense, sensing an opening, made several objections. Judge Folsom denied most of them, but allowed a few as Gregory made no attempt to easily rebut the objection.

Finishing up, Gregory said "Your witness." The Defense attorney rose and asked "Commander Troy, from these witness statements and police reports, which I'm sure you've read, do I understand that the victim, Mr. Naples, was in the room alone when everyone else left for lunch?"

Gregory should've immediately objected to the stipulation that I'd read the reports, forcing the Defense to establish it. But he sat at his table, taking notes as if he were a junior Law School student, making no objection.

"That is correct." I said.

"So it's entirely possible that someone else could've come into the room and killed Mr. Naples?"

This was leading the witness, and even a Law Student would know to object. Gregory sat there. Judge Folsom was almost open-mouthed in his disbelief.

"That cannot be ruled out." I replied. I felt as much as heard the Jury members murmur. Reasonable doubt had been introduced.

"The scalpel that was the alleged murder weapon," said Mike Todd, "did it have the Defendant's fingerprints on it?"

"The Crime Lab report said there were no fingerprints on it." I said.

"So while the scalpel belongs to the Defendant, it could have been stolen, used by someone else, then returned to where it was stored, is that not so?"

Gregory should've been screaming an objection, as this was calling for speculation, and I had already been denied 'expert witness' status. Gregory said nothing, even though the Judge and I were both looking at him. The Judge finally just nodded to me.

"Yes, that is possible." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The next day, Friday, March 4th, the lawyers gave their closing arguments. Dwayne Gregory actually gave a pretty strong one; I very much suspected Paulina had contacted him and worked with him on that to salvage his case, even though she was not supposed to.

The Judge gave instructions to the Jury, and they retired to the Jury room to deliberate. I left the room to call Headquarters. Cindy said that the FBI had spotted a money transfer and was looking into it with the help of the Mouseketeers. I was about to say that I was coming to Headquarters, when a Deputy Sheriff came up to me and said "The Jury is coming back in. They've already reached a verdict."

"Gotta go, Captain." I said and disconnected. To the Deputy I said "Really? Already?" We went back inside.

Ten minutes later, the Jury filed back in. A sheet of paper was handed to the Judge, who read it, nodded, and gave it to the Court Reporter to read. As is tradition, the Prosecution and Defense stood up, and everyone in the Courtroom also stood up to hear the verdict.

"In the first count of Murder in the First Degree, We the Jury find the Defendant... not guilty..."

There was a scream from Lawson's wife as he hugged his attorney. The former EMTs all erupted in a loud cheer as Lawson and his wife hugged, both of them crying. Judge Folsom was furiously banging his gavel and shouting "There will be order in this Courtroom!..."

I might've had a little smile on my face, until I looked over at Paulina, sitting a few rows ahead of me. She was staring daggers at me. I did not waver, and made sure to lock my eyes with hers...

Part 23 - Bitter Aftermath

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" Bettina yelled from outside the Courthouse Building. "We break into your regular program to bring a shocking report from the Courthouse. Former EMT Jimmy Lawson has been found 'not guilty' of the murder of Union boss Jack Naples!"

"The Jury only took minutes to come back with their verdict!" Bettina continued. "Everyone seemed stunned, expecting a conviction or perhaps a hung jury, but the Jury members were adamant in their post-trial statements that the Prosecution had simply not proved their case, and that the 'reasonable doubt' was so strong that they had no choice but to acquit the suspect."

Bettina interviewed an EMT that had been in the room: "This is... vindication for all we've gone through, the abuse we've taken, the loss of our jobs and our livelihoods. At least we got Justice for this one man." the man said, his face looking worn and etched, but happy for this moment.

Bettina interviewed a young Fire Department fireman, who said: "This is a travesty of Justice. A filthy EMT got away with murder in this County, while our fellow fireman go to jail on trumped-up rape charges. Something's not right here, something's not right at all..."

Bettina then said "Let's go to the Channel Two News Decision Desk. Amber!" The coverage went to studio, where Amber Harris was talking with two elderly men, former lawyers and judges both.

"Ooooh, 'experts'!" cried out Joanne Cummings as everyone watched from MCD. I had just come into the room. I'd changed from my standard uniform to my light blue shirt, dark blue pants with a double line of thin, light-blue piping down the sides, and my ranks on soft shoulderboards and twin 'TCPD' pins on the collars. Back to 'full power', I was.

"Yes, 'expert' sighting!" I said. Everyone laughed. They wanted to ask me questions, but I pointed to the screen.

"Gentlemen," said Amber Harris, "how did we get to this stunning verdict? It seemed like an airtight case to convict this former EMT of premeditated murder. What happened?"

The first panelist said "There were numerous errors by the prosecution----"

"I'm sorry to interrupt!" Amber Harris said, cutting off the panelist. "We now go to John Hardwood at Stiles Campaign Headquarters! John!"

Hardwood came on the screen. "Thank you Amber! Jenna Stiles, who is running against District Attorney Krasney, is about to make a statement." The camera panned to Jenna as she came up to the hastily constructed podium with a bank of microphones.

"Thank you for coming." Jenna said. "With regard to the recent verdict moments ago, we first and foremost appreciate the Jury's service on this case, and we respect the Jury's decision. Having said that, we have to ask if the many poor decisions by District Attorney Gil Krasney contributed to the failure to achieve a conviction, and Justice denied for the late Jack Naples. We understand that ADA Paulina Patterson just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, and we congratulate her on that. But even with her being unavailable, we question why Gil Krasney could not have prosecuted a much better case..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy Ross pulled out in her Police SUV, working through a throng of Firefighters that were screaming at them. Finally, she got through.

Jimmy Lawson was in the shotgun seat, and his wife and their baby in his carseat were in the back.

"Okay, we'll get you down to The Vision." Cindy said. "The Commander said he wants to talk to you tonight, and he'll come down."

"I really appreciate everything you've done for us, and for caring for my family." said Lawson.

"Dr. Eckhart is a very great man." Cindy said. "He has helped many people like you. So, any idea where you might go?"

"I have to find a job, but we don't have any money, we can't even move." said Lawson. "And I'm scared to leave my family here while I go somewhere else to work. Those Fire Department jerks are out of control."


"Well, we should be past them... oops, I spoke too soon." Cindy said. "We're being followed by Fire Department vehicles." As she continued down University Avenue, she got on the radio.

"Break! Break! Break!" Cindy called out. "I am going South on the Midtown Highway with civilians in my vehicle. I am being pursued by Fire Department vehicles. I need backup and interdiction."

"Roger that, Captain Ross." said the voice on the radio. "All units, proceed to University Highway south..."

Cindy drove on, knowing that to stop might be a problem. But as she neared the line to Coltrane County, she saw a backup of cars. And ahead of them, she saw the Fire Engine blocking the road...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I drove like a madman down Riverside Drive, then took County Road 5 down to County Road 2. My partner was in trouble. She'd called in again, describing the situation near the County Line, and that she was under siege with a family, including a baby, in her SUV. Other Police were in the backup of cars, and in addition were deliberately being impeded by Fire Department cars. Me, I skirted the whole mess, knowing County Road 2 would let me come in behind the blockade.

Meanwhile, Cindy had driven up to the blockading Fire Engine. Firemen were advancing on her SUV, and she had unstrapped her service weapon and was ready to draw it...

*WHOOSH!*

The silver Police SUV practically flew in, aiming at the advancing Firemen. They scattered to avoid being run over as the SUV spun 180 degrees with a screech of tires. She saw the Iron Crowbar driving as he pulled up alongside her vehicle. And his face was not one that perps wanted to see.

I got out of my vehicle, oblivious to the danger, knowing I had armor on under my shirt and another armored vest over it. I had a sudden flash thought of R. Lee Ermey in the barracks in the movie Full Metal Jacket. I barreled in with my very best impression of him.

"What in the hell is going on here? Who in the fuck is blocking my highway with a fucking red Fire truck? Get that god damn thing off the road, Engineer Forbes!"

"Stand your ground!" yelled a voice. It was Fire Assistant Chief Jefferson. He technically was my equal in rank, but today he was breaking the law.

"What the fuck are you doing, Numb Nuts?" I hollered as I came striding up to him. Other firemen looked ready to attack me, but at the same time were hesitating... none wanted to be the first to take a crowbar to the teeth.

"We're stopping that filthy murdering EMT from escaping, that's what we're doing!" Jefferson yelled back. "He's not leaving this County. We're going to have him tried again until he's convicted and is put to death!"

"You fucking idiot!" I yelled. "Have you ever heard of a thing called the 'United States Constitution''? I suggest you read it. Double jeopardy. Lawson was acquitted. He cannot be tried again. EVER!"

"You trying to tell me that filthy piece of shit EMT is going to get away with murder?" Jefferson snarled loudly.

"Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you." I said, also loud enough for everyone else to hear me. "He was acquitted. If he did do it, he's gotten away with it. Just like O.J. Simpson, Jefferson! That EMT is walking free, and YOU are about to go to jail." I turned to the others. "Why is that Fire Engine still blocking the road?"

"Stand where you are!" said Jefferson. "Anyone that moves that engine will get his ass handed to him, by me!"

Just then a Fire Department car came rolling in. Fire Engineer Roy Easley stepped out. He was in a Duty Dress uniform, with jacket and tie.

"Guys, you know this isn't right!" he called out. "Forbes, get that Engine off the road! Everyone else, get off the road! Let's go!"

"I'm going to fry your ass, Easley!" threatened Jefferson. "I'm the one giving orders here!"

"No you're not." I called out. "*I* am the one giving orders here. Do what Engineer Easley told you to do. Jefferson, you're under arrest."

"Try to take me in." said Jefferson. "Just try, cocksucker."

"No problem." I said. I advanced upon him. He took a swing at me. If someone takes a swing at me, they'd better not miss... I won't. He missed, and I saw his shoulder joint as it flashed by me. Knowing Aikido, I know what to do with those.

*WHAM!* Jefferson's face hit the pavement, his arm being twisted behind him. Within seconds, I had handcuffs on him.

By now, several TCPD cars had made their way down, and the Fire Engine was being moved. I had Rudistan and Morton transport AFC Jefferson to Headquarters for booking. I came up to Cindy's SUV and she rolled down the window.

"Chief Griswold always said you're the kind of girl that can stop traffic." I said. Cindy burst out laughing the way Molly often did, dissipating the tremendous tension she had been under. I continued "Beat feet down to 'The Vision'. Stay there until I come down."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Friday, March 4th. I was in the City Hall office of Town & County Sheriff Daniel Allgood. With me was Police Chief Sean Moynahan.

When we came in, Allgood said "This is a serious situation, gentlemen, so no jokes, please." He had us sit down. "I have spoken with Fire Chief Quinlin. He was not invited to sit down, and it was a one-way conversation. I actually asked him if those were real Fire Department personnel, or actors dressed up as Firemen, so unprofessional were they."

"I will say this." the Sheriff continued. "I believe he is truly as stunned by all of this as we are. Having said that, there is a growing problem, here. The Police have put two Firemen away for rape; well deserved, of course. And some others have been taken down, as well. Assistant Fire Chief Jefferson is suspended without pay, pending an investigation by the Inspector General for his actions today. You will not believe this, gentlemen, but I've actually had citizen complaints and even members of the Council call and complain about what they perceive to be an overly harsh attitude towards the Fire Department."