Sixes and Sevens Pt. 02

Story Info
Samantha: a woman in trouble. Shining knight Aidan!
7.3k words
4.68
8.3k
6

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 03

On Monday Vicky breezed into Aidan's office.

"Aidan," she said. "After all that trouble when I was ill, you never got a holiday. Then you've been working all hours to get the new kids sorted. You're looking very tired and everything is running well now. Why don't you take a break? August is a slack month in any case. Go somewhere exotic; take as long as you like. Go somewhere out of all this damned rain. Get yourself better, more rested, ready for September when life will get demented again with all the tax returns!"

Aidan knew she was right. He needed a change, something to give him a fresh start. Somewhere exotic? He didn't think so: he was not one for lying in the sun. He knew exactly where he wanted to go. The Edinburgh Festival.

He booked a good hotel in the City in the Bruntsfield area, an easy walk to the centre across the Meadows, and on Monday 12th August in the morning he set off for two weeks of culture, comedy and music.

After a drive through heavy showers and hot sunny spells, the hotel proved very comfortable with superb food, the weather picked up and was warmish, dry and sunny, and the events of the festival were fun. He had the time of his life.

It had been five years since he had been on a holiday by himself, and he relished every moment: theatres, music, comedy clubs and fringe events. Sampling good restaurants. All this without any inclination to pick up a woman! As he neared the end of his fortnight, he felt almost reluctant to go home. He had found a wonderful pub called Cloisters, a short walk from the hotel, where people were easy to talk to and there was a vast selection of beers. There was always good conversation once you got used to the accents, not all of which were Scottish.

It was the last Sunday of his stay, and Ian (Aidan had forgotten his surname) after a protracted conversation about rare whiskies, told him of a small hotel with a malt that he wouldn't be able to find anywhere else.

Aidan would be going home on the Tuesday, so this was his last chance. The next day just after lunch he walked over to that hotel, and into a drama that would change things significantly for him.

He was passing the reception area on his way to the bar when he was distracted from his spiritual goal.

It was an urgent sounding voice with a soft American accent, and it issued from a woman. She was leaning on the receptionist's desk. He ran his eyes over her from behind; in fact, he ran his eyes over her behind. It was without doubt the best shaped and sized behind he had ever seen, and it was shown off to its best in her fitted or anywheretrouser suit. On it was resting a wonderfully sculptured waist, curved back and above that a long sinuous neck. Blond hair - golden blond - natural. His knees felt vaguely weak.

This vision was concerned about something and was making it known to the receptionist. The receptionist, no more than a girl really, behind the desk was not being sympathetic enough.

"It's all gone," the apparition was saying, "money, passport, pocket book, purse, air tickets, everything."

"I can't see we can do anything." said the bairn.

"I don't need you to do anything, honey," the woman said. "I'm trying to tell you that my pocket book has been stolen, and it had my credit cards in it. I can't pay the bill and I don't know what to do about that."

The girl behind the desk not surprisingly became very interested at that point, but still did not seem to be ready to offer any solution.

Aidan stopped. Was it fellow feeling for another human being in trouble, or was it lust for the pert bottom, wonderful back, long neck and lustrous blond hair? He always professed not to know.

Of course he did!

He changed direction and approached the desk.

"There seems to be a problem," he said as he arrived by the angel's side. "Perhaps I can help?"

She turned to him.

He was not in the habit of blaspheming, but the epithet O My God (not the abbreviation) arose in his mind. That face. It was a face beyond words. Perfect in symmetry, startlingly deep blue eyes, high cheek bones, perfect teeth, delightful chin with an adorable cleft. How could anyone be that beautiful? Her worried frown did not mar her beauty in the slightest. Her very existence was unfair to the rest of womankind. She was exactly the same height as he was, though she was wearing medium heels.

"The lady can't pay her bill," said the stony-faced girl behind the desk. Aidan thought her broad clipped accent more Glasgow than softer Edinburgh.

"I put my purse down in a shop and someone stole it. I've got nothing. It's all gone!" and though she was not on the verge of tears she looked hopeless.

The girl said, "You did what? No one puts their purse down in a shop or anywhere."

"The lady means she put her handbag down," Aidan explained with exaggerated patience, "In the States they call handbags purses and purses are called pocket books."

The girl now looked very confused, said nothing but shook her head as if in despair at such differences in folk who profess to use the same language.

"Did this lady reserve with a credit card?" he asked the girl.

She consulted her screen. "Aye," she replied. "I have the details."

"Then I suggest you debit that card very quickly with her bill, because it will be cancelled in a few minutes."

He turned again to the goddess. "Did you talk to the police?"

She nodded. "They didn't seem to think they'd find it."

"Neither do I," he said. "If it is found, it will be empty. Would you come through to the bar?" he suggested, "I think you may have some work to do. Perhaps you would allow me to help?"

She looked puzzled at this, but nodded and did as he asked. They went to the bar.

"You need a drink, what'll it be?"

"I've no money," she replied.

"I gathered as much," he said with a smile that he hoped was engaging, "What would you like?"

"Whisky over ice please."

He shuddered visibly at the thought, but, against everything he held holy, got her a standard Bell's whisky poured into a glass full of ice, a double. He ordered that special single malt, the one he had come for, again a double with a little water. They sat at a table.

She took a sip. Aidan watched her lips embrace the glass and wanted to be that glass. To prevent him making a complete fool of himself he exercised monumental self control. It was worth it. He was still almost completely distracted from the job in hand.

"Now," he said with an supreme effort of concentration, "Do you have the numbers of your cards anywhere? You'll need to ring the the issuers in the States. You can use my phone."

"Canada," she corrected him, but nodded as she did so, extracting a piece of paper from a wallet.

"This only has a few Canadian dollars in it, and the numbers," she said, noting his enquiring look at the object.

"Your cell phone?" he asked using her vernacular.

"In my purse - I mean handbag."

He smiled at her correction and she smiled at his smile. Her eyes twinkled. Oh! he could feel his legs turning to jelly.

The next half hour was spent on his phone, sometimes using text, and finally phoning. It was very hard work but they managed to cancel all the cards and cease her phone.

When all was done, she sat back.

"Thank you," she said. "I nearly lost it back then. I'm better now."

Then she started, and her worries returned. "My Passport!" her face filled with worry. "And the plane tickets."

"You were leaving Edinburgh today?" he asked.

"I was due to travel to Manchester today by train, and get a flight to Vancouver tomorrow. I can't somehow see that happening!" She laughed nervously flashing an unnerving look at him.

"Ok," he said. "We can cancel the hotel and the plane tickets."

Which they did.

"Now," he said, "your passport. You need a replacement."

They phoned the Canadian High Commission in London, and were told she would need to attend there since she had no documentation. The lady started to tear up. The first time she'd weakened since he'd first noticed her.

"Big deal," she said disconsolately, her eyes brimming, "How will I get there without money? I don't have enough for a train."

Aidan thought quickly. He wanted to gaze at this wonderful being some more - the more the better! So really his next suggestion was selfish.

"I have a suggestion," he said, "but first I should introduce myself. Aidan Redmond."

"Samantha Grogan." she said and held out a hand. They shook politely, and smiled self-consciously. "Call me Sam, or Sammy," she said. "Everyone does."

"I happen to live in Manchester, or near it. Would you consider coming to Manchester with me? We could stay there overnight. You can stay with me, or I can book you into a hotel for the night, or you could doss down with my business partner Vicky Gibbons. Then I will take you by train to London. Do you have a deadline - you know - when you have to be back in Canada?"

"You can't - I mean you've done so much already. I couldn't let you - I can't repay you."

"If I don't, who will? Anyway I want to. I own my own business with Vicky so I can take the time. Let me help you - please? Now, when do you have to be back home?"

"No hurry," she said, "I lost my job and decided to come to Europe before looking for a new one. Edinburgh was my last stop."

"Then you'll come with me?"

"Thank you." She smiled at him. It was a different, almost affectionate smile and to him it felt like a lightning strike. Every nerve in his body was on fire.

The girl from reception came to the bar.

"I'm afraid the card was not accepted," she said.

"I'll settle," Aidan said. "Would the room be free for one more night?"

"Let me check."

The three of them went to the desk and the room was free. Aidan paid up to the next day by card.

"I leave tomorrow morning," he told Samantha. "That ok?"

She smiled again and agreed. He shivered.

"Would you like to spend the day with me, or shall we meet tomorrow morning?" he asked, "because if you'd prefer to do your own thing, we need to get you some spending money. And by the way, you need an address for the police in case they find anything. You can use my address in Manchester."

"I'd love to come with you for the day," she said, and there was that smile again. It really did things to him! Life was good. Very good.

They had lunch in a little subterranean restaurant and talked about her problems. He reassured her she was now safe and that they would sort everything out. Then they went shopping. He told her to find a handbag she liked, and another purse. He had no idea it would take so long, but eventually she found a matching pair that were just right.

At some stage in the afternoon's quest, she linked her arm in his and he gently squeezed her arm in response. Another wonderful smile.

He took her back to her hotel and said he would pick her up for dinner at his hotel. He warned her that they would be walking. Then he returned to his hotel and phoned Vicky. She assured him everything was running smoothly, and he begged some extra time, explaining the situation. She gave a dirty laugh and told him to 'give it your best shot'.

"Don't forget the staff mid-week drink at The Plough. Bring her along!" and she giggled. She knew it was Julie's favourite pub, but Aidan did not pick up the implication.

That Samantha was wearing a very fetching coat over whatever else she was wearing was a concession to Edinburgh weather, which that evening was cool but not cold. Even in the height of summer, the wind can be cold there later at night. The coat was beautifully tailored to her figure and Aidan was entranced by her hair and make-up, which were understated but powerfully effective. They walked arm in arm to his hotel across the Meadows.

Her little black dress, revealed as she doffed her coat, showed enough cleavage to tantalise without being slutty, and its mid-thigh length showed her legs were in fact perfectly proportioned - and long. He looked and she smiled knowingly. He blushed. She laughed.

"Will I do?" she asked. He could have sworn from the sideways look she gave him that she was being seductive. She was definitely flirting with him.

"Beautiful!" he said. No more; it implied all he wanted to convey. She was satisfied with that. He could tell by her smug smile.

The meal was up to the hotel's usual high standard and she was impressed. He offered her the wine list to choose, and in turn was impressed by her choice. She knew her wine.

"So," she said, as the meal got under way, "tell me about yourself."

"No," he said, "you first."

She looked surprised for a second but then launched.

She was born and brought up in Vancouver. Her father was a workman repairing street lighting. Her mother was a clerk. They were quite poor, though she said that she never felt poor.

"So when I was working, I could give them some money to make their lives easier. They made big sacrifices for us children."

"You have brothers or sisters?" he asked, picking up on her aside.

She had a older brother Patrick who she idolised and who loved her to bits - still did. When she was twelve her sister Catherine, who was eight, died suddenly of meningitis.

"I can't imagine how that must have affected you," he said, "I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose my brother."

"I went downhill after Katy's death," she said. "My schoolwork suffered and I was withdrawn. Pat did his best to cheer me up, but it didn't work. I lost weight and everyone worried more and more. After a year of this I was getting ill. My mother asked my favourite uncle Jack, her brother, to talk to me. He was kind and gentle and he reached me.

"He said I was going to die if I carried on like that, and I should live for Catherine; I should live a full life for the two of us; she couldn't but I could. I'm not sure it makes all that much sense to me now, but it did the trick. Later it led me down some dark paths."

She stopped and was lost in thought for a moment or two. Then collecting herself she continued.

"I was wild. I know I'm very pretty and sexy: I get hit on all the time. Some of it was good but most of it was gross. By the time I got to university, I'd given up being a slut - you call them slags?"

He nodded. "Either," he agreed.

"I started looking for more than sex. At Uni, I had a few boyfriends and a few false starts. Then I thought I'd found the guy for me, but when Uni finished he got a job in Europe and I didn't want to leave my parents. I wanted a job to give them something back. Hell, I wanted to visit them often, and anyway most of my closest friends were in the city."

"So you got a job in Vancouver?" he asked.

"Yes," she continued, "I majored in three languages, and also took a fourth, and there is always a need for people who can translate, at least I thought so, though apparently not in Vancouver. I got a job with a company translating engineering and scientific manuals into American English. It didn't last. The boss came onto me and when I slapped his face, he fired me."

Aidan made as if to interject, but she forestalled him.

"No, I didn't take it further. I should have done but it was his word against mine. I just moved on. The next job was more general translating with some interpreting. I settled down well there and everyone behaved well to me. I'd been there three years when I started going out with another of the staff. He was a lovely man, very kind and thoughtful. I really thought I'd found 'the one'. We dated for two years, and he kept asking me to move in with him, but something stopped me. He asked me to marry him, but I just couldn't say yes. I still don't know why. He left the firm and moved to Toronto. I was heartbroken.

"I had short dates with some other guys, but none of them came up to Bill's standard. Then last year the company went under and I was unemployed again.

"My parents urged me to have a break and go travelling. I had a pile of cash to use, and I decided to visit Europe. I did Germany, Italy, France, then London and Edinburgh, and here I am."

"I'm glad," he said. "You've made my day. I'm enjoying your company."

She coloured and then collected herself. "Now you. Tell all."

Chapter 04

On Samantha's urging, Aidan told her his story, starting with his childhood with Kevin, school, university and accountancy exams. He told her of his parents and their sacrifices for the brothers.

"Like you, in High School I had girl friends. I learned a lot from those girls. I learned casual sex doesn't suit me. It just wasn't me. I wanted more from girls - I wanted a relationship. I had a thing with a girl at the end of High School, but we went separate ways to different Universities.

"First year at university I was single, though I dated a few girls but nothing serious, then in second year I met Julie. She was a first year, and we were in the same Hall of Residence and shared a kitchen with six others. We just got chatting as we cooked or washed up. Then we started cooking together. Then we simply met and talked - outside the kitchen."

She giggled.

"We learned all about each other and found we had the same tastes and enjoyed the same things. So we began doing things together."

She smiled knowingly.

"Not that!" he grinned, inferring her thoughts on 'doing things' from that smile. "Neither of us had any money to speak of, so we went out to eat in cheap restaurants, we went to the pub, we went to concerts in the cheapest seats. I had no car, so we used public transport. We didn't mind. We went hiking in the hills, which she loved. Simple pleasures."

"You made love?"

"I think it was about two months PK, before we took that step."

"PK?"

"Post kitchen."

She laughed. Aidan was growing to really like Sam!

"We both knew it meant more than a fling. We were both past that."

"How...?"

"We'd been to a concert, and were having a glass of wine in her room. She simply began to take her clothes off and said, 'Are you staying?' I stayed. It was good, we fitted together well, took care of each other, and slept the night together afterwards. After that we spent most nights each week in each other's beds.

"She had her older sister over at the end of the academic year, Caroline. She was to take Julie home. Kevin had come to collect me and I introduced them.

"Julie had organised a flat with two other girls for the next academic year, and then at the beginning of the vacation, she was invited to stay with an uncle and aunt for a month in Spain, where they lived.

"I had an internship with an accountancy practice for the whole summer. I also began studying for a basic accountancy qualification, the CFAB. It took all my spare time. She wrote to me that her phone did not work in Spain, which I found strange, but I accepted it. So when she did not contact me after that first month I was really too busy to follow it up.

"I did ask Kevin about it, but he said Caroline had not heard from her either.

"By the middle of September, I began to worry seriously - the new term was about to start, and during the the early autumn I emailed her. No reply. I had tried to phone her, but then found her number was discontinued. So when the new term started I went to her flat wondering whether she had returned at all.

"Gerry, one of the girls there, answered the door.

" 'Aidan Redmond!' she said with a broad smile and some surprise. Then her face fell. 'I'm sorry you and Julie broke up,' she said.

"My puzzled face must have given the game away.

" 'You don't know, do you?' she said, with a look of astonishment. 'Oh shit! Come in, I'll get you a drink.'

"Well, to cut to the chase, she had met this rich guy in Spain - playboy type, and he had invited her to drive back with him to London. Needless to say they slept together at each hotel on the trip back. When they eventually got to London, she moved into his penthouse flat and Gerry said she was enjoying the high life - the best of everything. She had dropped out of university and was not coming back. There was some talk of marriage.

12