Slender Man Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I gave a brief smile. "Yes, it may come to nothing, but I'm seeing what the patterns are around here, so I can then spot the abnormal. And yes, Slender Man is in my head, and has been since I opened that window and there he was. I literally felt the electricity running up my arms... up... my... arms..."

Cindy did not let me stay in the reverie long. "You okay?" she asked.

"Yeah." I said. "I just thought of something. Okay, let's keep going south." Instead of taking the Bypass curve that would take us east, I turned onto a small side road that took us to County Road 5. Going south, I turned east onto County Road 2 at the southern border of the County, which took us back to the main roads. I drove up Hotel Row, seeing the lights and the cars, then past the car dealerships that were near where the Nextdoor County Highway came in. Then north along University Avenue.

Cindy was watching the University campus, and the mountain face to the east. Then she tensed up.

"Don," she said, "the deck light to the Cabin is on." At that moment, my personal cellphone chimed, which was an alert that the sensor at the Cabin had been tripped.

"Don! Pull over! Look!" Cindy said. I pulled to the side of the road and took the binoculars Cindy had been using and looked out the window past her. I could see the Cabin, perched on the mountainside high above the School. And standing on the deck, illuminated by the light that had turned on, was a very tall man in black... with a white, featureless blob of a head!

"Holy crap, it's him!" I gasped. I gave Cindy the binoculars back, turned on the blue lights and siren, and blasted onto the road. Cars scrambled to get out of our way as I sped north, turned hard onto the road by the stadium and rumbled up the hill to the driveway of the Cabin. Cindy was calling for backup on the radio.

We parked in front of the gate, locked the car, and scrambled over the gate. I might add that a warrant was not needed, as the owner was giving permission to do this. As we ran up the driveway, we could see the deck through the trees; there was no one there.

"Stop." I said quietly. Cindy stopped. I pointed to our left, where the top of the hill was. "Keep your eyes peeled." I whispered. "He may have run up into the woods and would have a tactical advantage on us."

We kept close to the mountainside as we went along and past the Cabin, to the 'trail' that led up into the woods. I peered up, seeing nothing, then went on up. Looking down at the Cabin and below, we saw two Patrol cruisers converging on the road. We went back down. I crept along the side of the house and looked onto the deck... no one there. And though we'd distinctly seen Slender Man standing on the deck, and not hovering over it, there was not a single trace in the dust that anyone had stood or walked there.

But as we turned back, I saw the piece of paper taped to the window. It was a crudely drawn circle, with a crudely drawn "X" through it.

"Slender Man." I said. "This is one of the eight messages either he or his victims reportedly leave posted."

"Well," Cindy said, "at least we weren't dreaming when we saw him."

Rudistan and Morton came up. "Find anything, sir, ma'am?" he called out from the driveway.

"Just this paper." I said. "Careful not to touch it. Bag it as evidence for fingerprint analysis. Captain Ross and I will go inside and clear the house." We did so, and there was no one home.

When we were done, I said "Rudistan, put out a full alert, increase patrols in neighborhoods with children. Be on the lookout for tall men in suits and ties where such clothing would be incongruous."

"That's a grownup word, sir." said Rudistan. "They don't teach us big words like 'incongruous' at the Police Academy." Cindy grinned at the joke; I did not. I was too far gone inside my own mind palace...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"No fingerprints at all, sir." said Christina Cho in my office. She had just analyzed the paper we'd found. "There are a couple of smudges that actually show that gloves were worn while handling it. The paper is the standard stuff found at any Wal-Mart, and the ink is the common cheap stuff from a disposable pen."

"I saw this on the Internet." said Teddy Parker, who had come in. "The kids making videos in England said this was the most common sign of Slender Man."

"I think it's used in the video game, too." I said. "I haven't played the game, so I'm not sure. There are Youtube videos about it, though. Interesting stuff... except when the kidnappings get real."

"Sir," asked Parker, "do you think this was left at your house to taunt you?"

"That's my thought." said Cindy.

"I don't know." I said. "It's common knowledge that it's my house, but if you go ask people on the street whose house is that on the hill, they likely as not won't know. Also, it was really timely that we happened to be driving up University Avenue and saw the guy up there."

"But you got an alarm, sir." said Cindy. "So that drew you in like a moth to the flame. And it's not the first time the bad guys have used that to lure you in." She was remembering Henry Wargrave's attack on me, where the redoubtable Bowser had run for help and raised the alarm. (Author's note: 'Reichenbach', Ch. 03)

"That's true." I said. "So that would get us up to find the drawing. But actually seeing Slender Man as we did? That seems more coincidental."

Cindy said "So maybe the perp puts up a Slender Man mannequin while he's posting the drawing, hoping people will see it and call the Police. And it just so happens the Police were the first to see it."

"It's getting late," I said, "and I am making the mistake I always preach against: theorizing without data. Let's go home and pick this up in the morning, and we'll see then if anything new develops."

Part 13 - Slender In Baseball

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared Bettina from in front of the statue of President Jefferson in Courthouse Square, on Friday, March 10th at 7:00am. "Channel Two News has learned that there have been more sightings of the legendary figure known as 'Slender Man'!"

Bettina continued as a tape was shown. "Three County High School baseball players captured this footage of Slender Man at the edge of the woods behind the baseball field at the school last night just before sunset. As the tape shows, 'Slender Man' is very tall, wears a suit and tie, and has no facial features! The students turned the footage over to the Police later that night."

"The Police Public Relations Department issued a statement this morning, advising residents to stay calm in the face of what they call 'prank', but they do advise parents to be increasingly watchful of their children as a precaution." Bettina continued. "Meanwhile, Commander Donald Troy and the Police apparently have no new clues about who kidnapped young Henrietta Claymore Wednesday evening, as Commander Troy continues to avoid the Press, and he has issued no updates on that situation."

"They just will not stop on that." said Cindy as we watched in MCD.

Bettina said "In other news, the lawsuit filed by Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex on behalf of 'Citizens For Police Accountability', charging that Police violated Citizens' rights by making warrantless car searches, was dismissed with prejudice by Judge Patrick R. Folsom, who cited that Swenson, Eidex, and the CFPA have no legal standing to file the complaint. He stated that only individuals who were illegally searched could bring suit, and no one has done that to this point. The TCPD also issued a statement that every search they made had either the consent of the car's operator, or a warrant was secured before making the search."

"And in State news," Bettina said, "Governor Jared has called upon Legislators to work through the weekend to pass a Budget bill and bring it to his desk for his signature. Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling found some surprising results in their latest polls, including that a majority of the State's citizens want a smaller SBI that serves local law enforcement, and are supportive of the Governor's stand on the Budget bill."

"Ahhh." I said as I heard that.

"What?" Cindy asked.

"I'll need confirmation from other news broadcasts," I said, "but it looks like we're going to win the budget battle. The Press is laying the groundwork for it."

"Sir," asked Theo Washington, "do you really believe the Media actively does things like that? I mean, intentionally working with politicians to 'lay the groundwork', to use your words?"

"Absolutely." I said. The room got quiet as I continued: "Just recently, a MSNBC hostess admitted out loud, on the air, that the Press's job was to tell people exactly what to think. And there's the famous example of collusion: back in the early days of George W. Bush's presidency, there was one weekend on the Sunday shows where no less than thirty-three reporters used the word 'gravitas', saying President Bush didn't have it."

"Whatever we think about President Bush doesn't matter; when 33 people use the exact same word on the very same day... and a Lexus/Nexus search showed that the word was not used at all prior to that day... well, that kind of coincidence has Dame Agatha Christie rolling in her grave."

"C'mon, Theo," Joanne Warner said happily, "you know the Press is biased!" I could see that someone was getting a dig at someone, but Theo rolled with it.

"They're worse than biased." I said. "They're downright dishonest, in their methods if not the words they carefully choose to avoid being charged with libel."

"Welllll," said the Chief as he came in, "I can see that this morning's conversation has turned to the worst possible subject, the Media. Why don't we discuss something more pleasannnnt... like Slender Man."

"If someone had not been kidnapped," said Theo, "I'd say it was Mr. Todd Burke in a suit and white face mask. This guy fits Mr. Burke's body type, and he's almost as mischievous as Sergeant Rudistan.."

"Say whaaaa?" asked Teresa Croyle.

"Speaking of 'mischievous," I said, "I think Theo is ribbing you and me both, Captain Croyle." Seeing Theo's 'movie star handsome' grin may have been my first observation about that. "But seriously, Theo, that's a good observation, the body types are similar. If Todd were two feet taller, I'd have to send Captain Croyle to arrest him."

"She does that every night." Cindy said. "And extracts 'confessions' out of him." That brought the house down, especially when they saw Teresa's face...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, at 7:00am Sheriff Daniel Allgood was sitting down to breakfast in the back room of the Country Breakfast Diner. Seated at the table with him was Police Chief Emeritus Griswold.

"I'll just get right to the point of why I asked you to meet me this morning." said the old Chief. "I heard you had an altercation with the Iron Crowbar yesterday."

"Yes, Chief, we did." said Daniel. "How much have you heard?"

"Enough, but let me hear your side of it." Griswold said. Daniel gave his side of the story.

"Now that I've had time to cool down," Daniel said, "I realized that it was Les Craig that got Don so hot under the collar. Not sure why, though."

"Did Craig ask you to push Don about pursuing Lotz?" asked the Chief.

"No." said Daniel. "He called to complain about his own conversation with Don earlier in the day. He said Don blew him off, and about pursuing a dangerous criminal in Lotz."

"Tell me this, Daniel," said Griswold, "how well do you know Les Craig?" Daniel looked surprised; this was not the route he'd expected the conversation to take.

"Uh, not particularly well, but I know him. When I was in Internal Affairs, he'd call me and other I.A. units in Police Forces in the State and all around Southport. He was working with us to find possible Mob moles in our Departments, and he wanted to use them to pass false information to the Mob in Southport. As you know, Chief, we had different issues to worry about then."

"And as you know," said Griswold, "a certain someone used a crowbar to pry that rot and corruption out of our Police Force and our County. My point is this, Daniel: you have seen Commander Troy at work. You have seen him solve crimes and bring down some of the most God-awful bastards we've ever seen. By way of contrast, I know that Les Craig was in way over his head against the likes of Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone and Orrin B. Taggart. Craig is not necessarily a bad FBI Agent, but he's not exceptionally good, either."

The Chief landed his fish: "So why in the world would you take Les Craig's word over Don Troy's on any thing at any time?"

Allgood said "Well, Chief, I guess it's because I've always respected the FBI to the point that if one of their Agents says Lotz is dangerous, then I believe it. And no disrespect intended, sir, but I really don't understand why Commander Troy is so reticent to help find Lotz, even if he doesn't think Lotz is all that dangerous."

"You know," said the Chief, as if reminiscing, "sometimes things with Don Troy are not as the world seems. I still remember the day that a DNA test came back positive for Selena Steele as the Black Widow... she was as good as strapped to the table at Jacksonville Prison. Don asked me for one hour, just one hour, and I argued against it. But Paulina gave him the hour... and I hate to think what would've happened if it had not been for Don Troy that day." (Author's note: 'Case of the Black Widow', ch. 04)

"I know." said Daniel. "And the 800-lb. gorilla in the room you're not mentioning is that Don put me up for Sheriff, and you think I should be more grateful."

"No, not necessarily." said Griswold. "Don has always said he did that because you were the right fit for that job, and certainly moreso than himself. Now I do think more than he does that some loyalty should be expected, but he doesn't ask for it. And he doesn't have to; he's always right."

Griswold continued: "I thought there was no hope when he asked for a weekend to save what we thought was a dirty cop that had assaulted a drunk driver. He worked like a dog to get the truth... and with a good FBI Agent helping him, I might add. He saved that Police Officer, and she is now his Captain of Operations, with four Purple Orders and a Police Cross to her credit." (Author's note: Teresa's Christmas Story.)

"No, Daniel," Griswold said, getting stern, "the 800-lb. gorilla in the room is what he finally brought up yesterday... your wife. He knows her as well if not better than you do, and he knows what she is. He is fighting like hell against a very powerful white supremacist group, and he knows your wife agrees with their views more than his. His instincts of who to trust and who not to trust are incredible... but not infallible. So Daniel, if he has reason to disagree with Les Craig's opinion of something... maybe there's a reason for it. And maybe you should reconsider who to trust more."

"Are you saying he doesn't trust me?" asked Daniel.

"Not when you take Les Craig's side against him." replied the Chief. "I'll also add that you've gotten into a scrape or two with Chief Moynahan. Now I have great respect for Sean Moynahan, and I know he's a tough Cavalry Officer who won't back down from a fight. He also knows the measure of his Police Commander, but he has not worked with you like I had when you were in the Police Force. I think Don is giving you the benefit of the doubt. He knows you love your wife, and while he respects that, he's going to be careful."

"And you, son..." finished the Chief, "you need to let some of the best people you could hope to have running our Police Force do their jobs, and take up their side against outsiders like Craig, and protect and defend them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, why did I not hear about this video until the 7:00am coffee klatch?" I asked. I was sitting behind my desk, and my Angels were sitting in front of me in my office.

"I take responsibility for that, sir." said Captain Croyle. "The video was turned into First Precinct. I will make sure they understand the urgency of getting material like that up the chain of command from this time forward, sir."

"I appreciate you stepping up and taking responsibility, Captain." I said. "Yes, do have a word with Precinct Captain Briggs. Sometimes he's a bit too thoughtless, too retiring, in his handling of things that might require some urgency and sense of purpose." Teresa knew exactly who I was blaming for this, and I new she'd handle it 'appropriately'.

"Having said that," I said, "what's the real story behind it?"

"The tape was brought in about 9:30pm last night, sir." said Teresa. "One of the kids from the baseball team and the team batting coach. It was a copy of the video on a jump drive, and they were asked to bring in the camera to be examined. That happened an hour later. We still have the camera."

"Good." I said. "Okay, let's look at what they recorded." I began the video, which we watched on the television monitor. The outfield fence was blue, with pine trees behind it. Off to the right, behind the right field foul pole, was a road and a clear spot between the road and the pine trees. It was in that spot that a man was standing, the orange of the evening sky behind him, making it difficult to see.

The kids had been taking videos of their batting swings, and I heard someone say "What the heck is that? Then the camera whirled over and bounced up and down as it focused in on the man, then zoomed in. The man was well past the fences, well behind where the outfield fence would be if it were extended past the foul pole.

"Suit and tie, white face." said Cindy. "But that looks more like a mask on someone's head than the true featureless faces we've been seeing."

"He looks tall, but not a full eight feet tall, too." I said. We continued to watch as the tape continued. Then the camera moved as if jerked to the side, and when it came back, the figure was closer... standing right next to the fence. Then there was a high pitched whine, and the picture started whacking out, then went to black.

"Looks like someone turned on a bug killing device." said Cindy. "Which is what it looks like whenever Slender Man gets closer to a camera, or a camera focuses on him."

"That looked a bit too much like what we would expect a Slender Man video to look like." I said. "Have any of our Detectives gone to investigate the area, talk to the kids involved?"

"Parker is on his way now." Cindy said. "He's taking Jermaine Davis, Morton, and Johnson." She got out her cellphone. "I'm sending a text to have him try to interview the baseball players."

"You're not going to go out there, sir?" asked Teresa, with some surprise in her voice.

"No." I said. "Parker and Davis will do fine. And Captain Ross's Detectives need to understand that I'm not always going to be there at every crime scene, so they'd better rely on themselves and not me." Cindy nodded, but the look on her face was a bit inscrutable.

"That reminds me, Captain Ross." I said. "Is there a political situation brewing between Washington and Warner that requires my attention?"

Cindy smiled. "Noooo, no sir." she replied. "I thought the same thing, but it's really a lot more friendly than it might look. Joanne is more Christian than Conservative, and Theo's not as Liberal as he makes himself sound sometimes. Their tweaking each other is like what Teresa and I used to do, when we were younger and she was wrong all the time."

As Captain Croyle turned to look at Cindy with a 'Teresa Cunt' look, I began laughing and just couldn't stop for a moment.

"Yes, Teresa," I spluttered as Teresa went from looking at a pointedly nonchalant Cindy to me, "I will be sure to set those brackets up right."