Slices Of Small Town Life Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"After that it was like they were alone in the bar. It got so bad we told them to take it upstairs or come up for air. They were on the elevator in two minutes."

"So then," said Chuck, "It was a night of opportunity?" Charley turned the little digital recorder off and stared at him.

Andy sat back, a pale gray. "Charley, listen to me. It was a one time mistake. We didn't mean for it to happen! We woke up terrified, then promised that we'd go to our grave before we hurt either of you ever again. Please Charley. forgive me!"

"So it was just the one time, then. A drunken mistake, booze and a strange place coming in to play? You had no intention of continuing, letting it become a full blown affair?"

"That's exactly right, I pro..."

Charley held his hand up and started the recorder again, continuing from where he turned it off.

The voice of the investigator continued on. "So then, it was a one time hook up?"

The cop laughed. "Hell no! He didn't come out of her suite the rest of the weekend, even stayed an extra day, had the deputy he'd brought with him moved in the last night. Don't know if they brought him in to play, most likely to keep from explaining an extra hotel charge to the county manager. His name was...Wilson, Warren, maybe Williams, I don't recall. Big sucker, he had to be six five or better."

Andy had slumped down, his face gray. He started to speak but Charley stopped him.

"I don't care how it happened. She most likely came on to you. But Andy, you were my best friend in the world, even drunk you had to know better. You had to know how I would react if I ever found out, and you did it anyway, all weekend long."

"We're done, Andy. Don't come here again. Do not under any circumstances speak to me again, unless it's in some official capacity."

"Go home, and think about what you're going to do when you're no longer sheriff. You'll never hold a public job in this county again. Think about what you're going to tell Margaret if your lost weekend comes to light, how the people of this county will look at you if the truth ever comes out. Bite the bullet Andy, Your career is over. Go quietly, with at least the illusion of dignity."

"Now leave. We're done here."

Andy stumbled off the porch, sat in his cruiser for a minute, then drove down this driveway for the last time in his life. Cindy walked around the porch with a pitcher of tea. "Was the Sheriff crying when he left?"

"Dust, most likely." Grace, the little three year old, toddled out behind Cindy. Passing by her mother, she tapped his leg to get his attention.

"Chawey, snuggle." He laughed and picked her up, holding on the swing, moving over to make room for Cindy.

"Don't get too close, Charley. We'll be leaving soon."

Charley grinned. "You keep saying that, and yet here we are. What are you doing with the housekeeping salary you've been drawing? I know you already got the kids registered at school using this address."

A bit of her temper flared up. "If I had enough money, we'd go now. You got us just like Devon, trapped."

This caught him at the end of an emotional day. He got off the swing and walked in the house. Five minutes later he was back with a check, and handed it to her. She looked at it and back at him in shock. It was made out to her, for five thousand dollars.

"Go down to the Jeep dealership on the way to depositing this. I told Vic to look for something used and reliable for you. Take what he gives you. It will be taken care of. Take this money and get settled. You can start at the store Monday a week. It won't be a fortune, but you can make ends meet, and the kids will get free daycare. Think you can be out by Friday?"

Cindy mentally recoiled. This was a reaction she hadn't expected. She thought she'd shake him up a little, get him to pay more attention to her. While she was considering her reaction, she heard a sob, and turned to see her daughter Faith. Charley had reacted when she introduced her, and she had smiled.

"Yeah, I stole her name. Because I always liked it, and I thought it symbolized my future. Boy did I get that wrong."

Faith and Grace, the youngest, had really bonded to him. Both at the age where a father figure was most needed, she guessed. Charley even took Faith with him from time to time when he went to visit his daughter Faith.

Faith came out a few weeks after finding out about his house guests. She grinned when she was introduced to the newest Faith, remarking how much she looked like her at her age, even getting an old photo album out and showing her.

"Well, to avoid confusion, we'll call you Faith Junior when I'm around, okay?"

Of course, as time went by she ended up being called just Junior, and she grinned every time somebody said it. She was so impressed with the clinic Faith senior promised her a part time job next summer, when she became old enough to be legal.

Cindy turned back to Charley, her voice softening. "It doesn't have to be right now, Charley. We don't have to be in a rush."

"No, you're probably right. I was getting too attached. It'll just make it harder on me when you do leave. Speaking of bonding, I told Hope and the twins we'd go fishing today, maybe catch enough bream and crappie to have a fish fry tomorrow. I need to go get everything ready."

He left her sitting on the swing. She sat with her head in her hands, listening to Faith slam things around in the kitchen.

Hope was her eleven year old daughter, and the twin boys were Jack and Jesse, nine years old. He'd taken them into town and gotten them all simple rods, and a filled tackle box. They went to his old house, Faith's now, driving down to the lake he'd built years ago. Charley the younger was up, and they walked down to visit. Soon the kids had their rods in their hands, watching the corks intently.

Faith senior had gone back to the house and came back with a cooler of water and drinks, and folding chairs for the adults. The only one who got to sit and relax was her, both Charlies staying busy baiting lines and removing fish, patiently training the children, helping at the end as little as necessary. They stayed two hours, long enough to get more than enough for the fish fry. The twins were ragging Hope because they caught more than her, saying girls couldn't fish as well as boys, when the rod Hope was reeling in went double. After twenty minutes of anxious coaching from both Charlies, Hope landed an eight pound catfish, dwarfing anything the boys had caught. Faith filmed the whole thing on her phone.

Faith senoir told them that since they had done all the work catching the fish, they would have the fish fry at her house, on the patio. She saw her father flinch, and she got him to the side. "Past time to let go of the pain, Dad, Time to make some new memories. Bring the rest of our new family by tomorrow, turn them loose on the patio. In a few years you'll look at it and remember things like the spot where Jesse threw up from eating too much ice cream, or where you watched your first grandchild take their first step, or where you look at the girls in sundresses instead of shorts, and realized Junior and Hope aren't little girls anymore."

He smiled before sobering. "That's a beautiful dream baby, but they're moving out soon. It's for the best. She's a young, beautiful woman, she needs to find a man her age. It wouldn't be fair to hold her back."

Faith took a swing at his head, and Charley stepped back, the smack landing on his arm. "What was that for?"

"For being a big dummy, that's what for. They talk to me, you know. Cindy has even called wanting to know your favorite foods. Ever notice how wonderful your meals always are? Junior has told me some things about their life, Devon was not a good husband or father. They were at the end of their rope, and God landed them in the driveway of the one man who needed them as bad as they needed rescued. Now suck it up! Stop dwelling in the past, enjoy the future. It was always your dream to have a large family, Dad, and God gave you one. You gonna piss Him off by refusing His gift?"

He stood, stunned. Really? Faith pushed him towards the door. "Go, take your kids home and clean them up! We'll clean the fish, get ready for the fry. And Dad, I expect the whole family, you hearing me? All of them. Tie Cindy up and throw her in the truck if you have to."

She snuggled up to him like she did when she was a little girl. "Daddy, I got a surprise for you tomorrow, something I hope you like."

He piled the kids in the truck, wondering what the surprise was all the way home.

...

The kids piled out, telling Faith and her mother how much fun they'd had, and all about the fish they had caught. Hope was a little smug when they saw the catfish on Charley's phone. The boys countered they caught way more crappie, so they were even. Hope was wise enough to let it go with a smile.

After their baths and supper, the kids crashed, Cindy snuggled Grace with Faith, and went hunting Charley, finding him in his favorite spot on the porch swing.

"Charley, can I talk to you?"

He patted the spot beside him and she sat, extremely close to him. Purely by accident, of course.

"Let me tell you some things, Charley, and please let me get all the way through it.I loved Devon, but he wasn't much of a husband and even worse father. You've showed those kids of mine more attention in six months than he did the whole time I was with him. When the cousins caught him skimming, you stepped in and made it right, but you weren't a fool, so you got him the loan through the banks, set his payment so low you'd probably be gone before it was paid back."

"How did he repay your kindness, he skimmed off even more, and ran. The loan defaulted, robbing his kids of their inheritance. I'm just glad you ended up with his share of the farm, and not a stranger."

Charley started to speak but she stopped him. "Hush now, it's taking a lot for me to say these things, if you interrupt me I'll chicken out. As things got worse, I started dreaming about coming home. You think it's an accident I came here first? Of all the family I knew, you would be most likely to help me. And you were everything I thought you'd be. Kind, attentive, to the kids anyway. I know I was mean tempered for the first few weeks, but remember Charley, I had been through a lot. I couldn't feed or shelter my family. I was a little ashamed, living on your kindness. When I told you I needed to get a job, you started paying me to keep house. How was that fair? You are the neatest person I know, cleaning up after you was nothing compared to chasing five kids."

She gripped his hand. "Somewhere, Charley, somewhere along the line I realized there were still good men in the world, and I was living with one of the best. I'd watch you with Grace, how you were with Faith, answering her endless questions, how you bolstered Hope's confidence, how you treated the boys. Those kids would die if I took them away from you."

She swallowed, thinking here comes the hard part. She'd her feelings battered all her life, if he rejected her now, she would nevr have confidence again.

"And as I watched you, Charley, I realized I wanted them to be with you as long as possible, because that's how long I wanted to be with you. I love you Charley. Did you hear me? I love you! Not as a mentor or father to my children, but as a woman should love her lifemate. I'm not your ex, Charley, when I love I have tunnel vision, giving my heart and soul to my husband. I'm begging you here, Charley, to let us stay with you, at least until you decide whether we have a future or not."

One more thing and I'm done. I don't care about the age difference, I'm forty, you're fifty-nine, big deal. And I don't want your money. Keep it all, give it to Faith, as you should. Our life together will be enough."

Connie started snuffling into his neck, waiting. Charley sat for long enough for her to be really nervous.

"If that's true, why were you set on moving out?"

"Oh, Charley, it broke my heart when you gave me that check. I didn't want to leave, I wanted you to ask me to stay. I don't have a lot of confidence, remember? I wanted you to make a move. That's why I'm here now, trying to correct my mistake."

He at her, frowning, and she knew she'd lost him for good. Then he bent down, and kissed her! It took a second to process, then she kissed back! He finally broke it off, grinning. "It's a damn good thing you're so good looking, because you aren't real smart."

Ooh, he thought she was attractive! Wait, did he just call her dumb? He continued before she could focus.

"Did it not occur to you even once just to tell me how you feel? Because I'd had feelings for you for awhile now, but the age difference held me back. Look at how much time we've wasted!"

If he thinks he can call me dumb and get...wait, he has feelings for me too? I love this man!"

They sat on the couch making out until the light in the kitchen came on, one of the kids up trying to get a glass of milk or sneak a snack. Connie jumped up, kissing his forehead. "This discussion isn't finished!," she whispered as she slipped into the house.

"he smacked her bottom, grinning. "It damn sure isn't, little girl!"

"Hmmph!," she thought. "I'll show him little girl!"

...

The next day all the kids watched stunned as Cindy plopped in Charley's lap and gave him a kiss during breakfast. Hope and Faith got it right away. They'd explain it to the twins later.

"Kids, your Mom and I have to go into town for about an hour, maybe a little more. Promise me you'll be good for Faith, or no fish fry. For any of us! Understand?"

They all agreed, and off they went. When they got to the dealership, Charley told her to choose, anything new on the lot that could handle the family.

"I thought I was getting used?"

"Used was for leaving. New is for never leaving, understand?"

"Never leaving? That meant..." She threw her arms around him, kissing him solidly. The sales manager stood there grinning. Wait until the guys and gals at the diner hear this! Looks like the old fox was trapped at last.

Ninety minutes later Connie was driving her new van home. Home! Boy did that feel good to think. The kids piled out to look at their new ride. climbing all over it.

When they drove up in the new van, Faith smiled. Looked like dad could still be trained after all. She kissed and hugged all the kids including Grace, who was firmly anchored in Charley's arms.

"Connie, Junior, can you guys help me lay everything out. T.Y. (the nickname her Charley had gotten, it stood for The Younger) has been frying for fifteen minutes, there ought to be enough to start on."

It was a grand afternoon. They ate, lazed. Faith had put up the batmitton net, and she and junior played against Hope and Charley T.Y. The boys found the horseshoe pits, and Charley senior taught them the basics, then left them to kick a few brightly colored balls around with Connie and Grace.

When it came time to leave, Junior pulled out an overnight bag. Seems she and Grace were having a sleep over. Hope and the boys were worn out, and after their baths were out like a light. Charley and Connie were soon dueling tongues on the porch swing. Hands wandered, clothes were loosened, fingers explored.

"Damn it! If it weren't for the kids I'd..."

Connie stopped him laughing. "What about the kids? If this happens, you're never getting out of my bed. They're bound to hear us sooner or later."

"I still would rather we had some privacy."

"Well, honey, unless you know of a place I don't, we're just going to have to wait."

Charley looked across the yard, frustrated, as a beam of light from the full moon broke through the clouds and hit the barn.

"Come on!," he said, grabbing her with one hand and the old quilt with the other. Connie wondered until they got to the door and started giggling. "Really Charley, the barn loft? Are we sixteen, sneaking off from our parents eyes?"

"No, honey, we're two consenting adults on our own property, sneaking off from our kids. Now get that hot ass up that ladder. I'll help you along!"

She was halfway up the ladder when she felt his hand slip under her sundress. He'd managed to tease her panties off on the swing. She gave a little squeal. "Charley! Stop that! You want me to fall...ooh, damn baby that feels good. Just a little more...that's it...oh, baby, now!" She laughed down at him.

"Serves you right! I hope you don't slip on the juices I left on the ladder. Come on, slowpoke, or I'll start without you!"

Just as he hit the top of the ladder the dress flew over his eyes. By the time he got it out of his face she was naked on the blanket, the full moon draping her body with mystic light.

He stopped to look at her in wonder, when he saw her hands move. "Told you I'd start without you. Get your ass over here, old man, see if you can get a few strokes in before you have a heart attack. I bet..Ahhhh!" The shriek flew past her lips before it registered. Maybe this loft idea was not too bad. She was sure the kids would have been pounding on the door in seconds. She screamed through her first orgasm, whimpered through her second, and cried through her third in happiness. He was getting closer, she could tell, when it hit her.

...

Rose felt old finally, and alone. She was probably making as much or more as Charley now, but she knew it was never a competition with him. The only thing that interested Charley about money was to make sure he had enough to take care of the ones he loved.

In the last five years plus, she had a buffet of lovers. All ages, down to a nineteen year old hung very well with great stamina. The orgasms from her lovers had been mind blowing, but after they were done she felt hollow. Rarely were they allowed to spend the night, and when they left Rose would curl up in a ball, and dream about arms that held her lovingly all night long.

Andy had called her after his showdown with Charley. She had little pity. "You should have slipped out right after we fucked, we would have gotten away with it. You're the one who wanted to stay the weekend. You better hope he never finds out the truth about your deputy. I can't believe you talked me into a three way! Anyway, Charley is real fond of William's wife, so if he finds out for sure he'll tell her in a heartbeat."

The conversation went downhill from there, but it got her to thinking about Charley again. She had seen him three times in the last four years. Twice at funerals, and once in a restaurant at one of his out of town stores. She thought about going over, but he had a woman with him, and it was obvious it wasn't a professional lunch. Little displays of public affection from the woman put that to rest. Oddly, a pang of jealousy rose. Bitch needed to keep her hands of my man! Then it hit her, he wasn't her man anymore, and hadn't been for five years. She needed to let her fantasies go. She slipped quietly out, leaving the cost of her uneaten food and a nice tip.

Rose had approached him at the second funeral, making small talk about Faith until they were alone. "Charley, remember that offer I made you when we parted? it's past time, have you given it any consideration?"

He looked pained at the memory. "Yes, I remember. Sorry, Rose, but I'm not taking you up on it. Too much baggage, too much to work through for me to make it worth the effort, in my case, anyway. Have a nice life, Rose. We'll see each other from time to time, after all we need to get our daughter married before the clock starts ticking. Now you'll excuse me, but I have to go."

She watched him stride off, and her heart broke all over again. He still looked good, still kept in shape. If anything, he was a little thinner, and it looked good on him. What a fool she had been.

She was spending the night with Faith, which she did regularly when she was in town. She met Charley T.Y., and knew from the look in her daughter's eyes this was going to be her son-in-law. She liked him quite a bit before she realized why. He was a clone of her Charley, sharing almost exact views on almost everything.