Slippers at Midnight Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The king had six children. Numbers One and Two were twins. Crown Prince Julian Constantin Horia and his sister, younger by only five minutes, Daciana Valentina Horia. Every year, on the twins' birthday, the king and queen (Valentina Elvira Grigore Horia) held a huge party at the palace and invited everyone in the territory to attend. As Prince Julian and Princess Daciana had been born eleven hours fifty-three minutes and eleven hours forty-eight minutes before me, the party happened to be on my birthday too. Some years we had gone and some years we hadn't and had opted for a party with my friends.

This year, however, we kind of had to go. See, the Prince was set to flip this morning. Alpha Constantin was...enthusiastic... for his eldest son to get married and start producing little Horia babies so he had suggested, strongly with a command implied, that every female who was unmated and of age ought to seriously consider appearing before the prince at tonight's festivities. The royal family was holding a ball and it seemed unlikely that the party would end before Julian had imprinted on someone. So we would be there. Along with every other unmated female 18+ in Avion and a good number from the 173 other major wolf towns in the S.A.T.O.W.

When the invitation to the ball had arrived at the house a month ago. I had mentioned to my mother that I had nothing to wear so this morning she and I were going shopping. We were buying new dresses, getting manicures, and then meeting up for lunch with my dad and the boys. They had rented tuxes and they were already hanging up in their closets.

After breakfast, Dad and my brothers wished me another "happy birthday" and offered to clean up breakfast so Mom and I could go shopping. I ran up stairs to change out of my pajamas and brush my hair and teeth and was ready to go in 20 minutes. I'm not exactly high maintenance.

Mom drove out of our neighborhood, across the tiny downtown, and to a boutique bridal and formal wear shop on the north side of town. I squeaked with excitement and squeezed Mom's hand before we got out of the car and went into the small shop. The shop was by appointment only so it wasn't as crowded as the shops on Main Street were sure to be. My mom had been smart and made the appointment within an hour of receiving the invitation to the ball. A beautiful and immaculately dressed woman greeted us at the front door and ushered us to the back where we were assisted by a woman named Sabina, Sabina took our measurements and fluttered about the shop looking for things in our sizes. She would have preferred we had come in earlier in the month so our dresses could be tailored to our bodies, but my mother explained that I had been at school and this was our first opportunity.

"Besides," my mother said, "Today is Elle's birthday so I wanted to get her something special."

"Happy birthday!" The woman's face glowed and she clapped her hands in excitement. "Then we must make you shine!" She darted into the back and when she returned a few moments later, she was carrying the most beautiful dress I had ever seen in my life. "This gown," she explained, "was designed for the princess herself. Before it was finished, however, she changed her color scheme and the dress was left incomplete. I encouraged our seamstress to complete it last week. I just had a feeling that the woman would come in who would fit this dress. I knew this gown was destined for something amazing and now, here you are."

I couldn't stop grinning as I stepped into the dressing room to try it on. The fabric flowed over my skin like liquid. I knew I was taller than the princess and that my hips and ass were larger, too, so I couldn't imagine that a dress designed for her could ever fit me. Somehow it did. It hugged my curves beautifully and I was ecstatic when I stepped out to have Sabina finish fastening the dress.

My mother began to cry when she saw it and I felt like joining her. It was so beautiful. I hadn't considered the price though. Surely a dress designed for Daciana Horia would be out of our price range. Sabina darted into the back to find shoes for me and my mom hurried up to me. And hugged me gently. "I was worried about the price and I was going to be so sad because I was sure we couldn't afford the dress for you, but Sabina just told me. The King already paid for most of it. When the princess changed her mind, the dress was nearly complete. Sabina says that if you want it we can have it for just the finishing costs. This dress is actually going to cost less than the other gowns we looked at." Mom's eyes sparkled. "Absolutely no pressure to buy it because of that, of course, but goddess, Elle, you look amazing."

Tears were streaming down both of our faces then and I was working to make sure none of them landed on the beautiful gown. "Thanks, Mom. I love it."

That's when Sabine returned with the shoes. The shoes were delicate and lacy looking. The lace in the shoes was the same as the peplum on the gown and they were studded with beautiful glass beads. They were perfect.

Mom came out a few minutes later in a gown of coppery satin that set off her skin and hair perfectly. She looked like a statue from some pantheon. I only hoped I'd look half as good as my mom did when I was almost 50. My dad was gonna combust when he saw her in that dress.

Some hubbub at the front door drew my attention away from my stunning mother. It took a minute to figure out what was happening but then I saw her. Princess Daciana had arrived to pick up her gown for tonight's ball. She was gorgeous. Petite and fair with long legs and skin that actually seemed to glow. The shop seamstress greeted her and led her into the shop to have her try on her dress one more time.

Several of the other ladies working in the shop came up to greet her and several patrons joined them. The princess was friendly and greeted everyone in turn. She waved to Sabina and then her eyes moved to my mom. My mother inclined her head and the princess returned the gesture and then turned her smile on me. I smiled and bent my knees in a shallow curtsey. When I looked up again the princess had turned back to her companions. I was again struck by her graceful movements. I tried not to stare but she seemed to be upset about something. A male wolf who had been waiting by the door hurried to her side. She said something to him and he nodded and escorted her from the shop. One of her companions apologized to the seamstress. "The princess skipped breakfast this morning and had a sudden fainting spell. She asked me to pay for her dress while her bodyguard accompanies her to find something to eat." The seamstress looked concerned but nodded. She handed the companion the dress. A shopgirl moved to close out the balance and the princess's companion thanked her and left the shop.

"I hope the princess isn't ill," my mother said quietly. "Not on her birthday!"

I nodded my agreement and sent a quick prayer of protection to the goddess on the Princess's behalf.

My mother and I changed into our street clothes and my mother paid Sabina for the dresses and shoes. Then we headed back to the house to drop off the gowns before going to get our nails done.

My father's eyebrows lifted with curiosity when my mother carried her garment back past him. "Don't you peek, Gabe!" She warned him. "I want you to be surprised tonight."

My dad's lips spread into a slightly evil grin. "Oh yeah?" He craned his neck as if he was trying to get a look. She laughed and disappeared to hang the gown in her closet.

"You are gonna love her in it," I told him conspiratorially. His eyebrows lifted at me and I nodded.

"I'm gonna love getting her out of it" he called loudly.

Mom laughed from the bedroom. "I look forward to it, Lover."

He laughed and sank back in his seat. His gaze shifted back to me. "How about you, sweetheart?" Did you find a dress to knock the prince's socks off?"

I shook my head at him but then smiled. "Yes, actually, I did."

"That's my girl."

My mom walked out of the bedroom and he grabbed her ass as she walked past. She slapped at his hand but then moved around and sat on his lap.

"I'm gonna go hang up my dress," I said quickly. "Y'all let me know when you're ready, k?" I ran up the stairs to my room.

Chapter 5

The rest of the morning was a blast and Mom and I were giggly when we got to the restaurant to meet my dad and my brothers. It wasn't until we got back to the house that I started to feel nervous. In a few hours, my switch would flip. Then my family and I would be attending a party with more wolves than I had ever seen in my life.

My stomach swooped and I felt lightheaded. It was entirely possible that I would imprint tonight. When I left the ball this evening I very well may have found my mate. I felt lightheaded again and wondered if, by chance, that same thought struck the princess earlier this morning. I certainly wouldn't have minded a strong bodyguard rushing to my side just now. My heart was pounding.

I needed a shower. I took my towel and underwear and headed into the bathroom. I stripped out of my clothes and stepped into the warm spray. I was still a bit lightheaded so I opted to sit down in the tub. I needed to relax. I turned so the water would hit the muscles in my back and neck and closed my eyes. For a minute, I let myself imagine that it was a pair of warm hands massaging my neck and shoulders.

If I did find my mate tonight I wouldn't have to imagine warm hands on my body. The thought sent a tingle down my core. After today I might have someone who was always ready and willing to see to my needs. Another tingle and my lower belly tightened. I sighed and slipped my hand down my thigh. With my eyes still closed I imagined how good sex might be when it was with someone who knew you as well as you knew yourself. I slipped my hand between my legs and allowed my fingers to stroke the outside of my silky labia.

It was always difficult for me to reach orgasm with someone else. No one seemed to be able to find quite the right spot or the tempo or pressure. Not like I could find myself. Not like a mate might be able to. I began to stroke between my labia. My fingers slipped across my clit and toward my warm opening. Slowly, I slipped my first and middle fingers into my wet opening. I moved them back and forth until I found the perfect place, the perfect angle.

I exhaled slowly. I imagined what it would be like to have someone who knew my body and who wanted to get to know my body. My thumb began to slide across my clit and I could feel the pressure starting to build. I couldn't picture my mate. I had no mental image at all. My free hand found my breasts and I started to play with my nipples.

My Mate. I thought the words. Someone I wanted desperately. Someone I would want to touch and taste and explore. Someone whose body I would learn like my own. I held my breath. I wanted it all. I wanted to find my mate tonight. My stomach tightened and I tried to be quiet while I came on my fingers.

When I was spent and my breath was once again normal, I stood up, washed my hair, and shaved. I was still nervous about tonight but it didn't matter as much as that warm happy feeling in my chest that came with the belief that tonight I just might find my true love.

*****

The dress was better than I remembered. Now with the correct bra and panties underneath I couldn't believe the way it fit. I called for Andrew to come help me finish hooking the back and he whistled when he came in. "Damn, Sis. You look fantastic."

"Yeah?"

"Hell yeah! Some guy is gonna imprint on you and realize he is the luckiest guy in the room."

I smiled at my brother in the mirror and realized he was already in his tux. "You look pretty smoking, yourself, Big Brother."

He grinned at me and his dimple popped. "Take a picture. You can send it to my wife and make her regret not ditching her educational aspirations to dance with her husband."

I laughed and grabbed my phone off the bed. I snapped a few photos and then flipped through them to pick the best ones. I sent them in a text to Tilly. In the message, I just wrote, "Drew says 'Hi.' "

Tilly's response was almost immediate. "Holy shit! HOLY SHIT! Tell your brother to check his texts if he wants to know all the things I'm gonna do to him when he gets home." Another message right after. "He's gonna need to need to buy that tux."

I laughed and angled my phone so Drew could see his wife's responses. I heard him swallow before he said, "I better go grab my phone," and rushed out of my room.

"You better not make us late!" I called after him.

I made final adjustments to my dress and headed down the stairs.

"We might have to leave Drew here," I called to the living room as I started down the stairs. "He's on the phone with Tilly. I think I inadvertently caused a sext emergency."

No one responded and I looked up. Dad and Adrian both watched me with their mouths open. Then my dad started to tear up. "Oh, sweetheart," his voice was husky when he spoke, "You look beautiful."

I beamed at him. "Thanks, Daddy."

Adrian nodded. "Really pretty, Elle. I almost didn't recognize you."

"Thanks, I think?" I smiled at my little brother.

He laughed and took off for the stairs. "I'll go tell Drew to get it back in his pants so we can leave when Mom is ready."

I looked at my dad in his tux. He was big and broad like the boys. His dark hair had just a few grays at the temples. His arms and chest were muscular and his tux fit him very well. "You look amazing, Dad."

"I'll say he does," came Mom's voice from behind me.

Dad and I both turned to look and I swear that man would have fallen over if I hadn't been holding his arm.

"Goddess who brings light and life to the world," he breathed, "thank you for this great blessing." He reached for my mom and pulled her closer to him. His eyes traveled all the way down to her toes and back up her body so slowly that I felt like I was watching him undress her. I smiled and turned away.

"You know, we have to leave, right?" I said loudly and cleared my throat so they would remember I was there. "Once Drew and Adrian come back downstairs we need to leave. When we get home the boys and I can make ourselves scarce but right now you have to chill so we can leave."

My parents laughed and turned to me. Just then, my brothers bounded down the stairs.

Mom made us all stop for a photo before we left but soon we were headed out to the cars.

"Hey," my dad called to me. "Your car hasn't been driven in a while. Why don't you drive? You can drive the boys and I'll take your mom." I knew he just wanted to get my mom alone but I really did miss my car. I'd left it in the garage when I went to school because I refused to drive in Dallas/ Fort Worth traffic and everything I needed was walking distance from my dorm.

I nodded and led the boys to the garage. There she was, my joy, a 1965 red Mustang convertible with a soft black top. She'd been a gift from my parents when I turned 16. She was trashed when I'd gotten her but Dad and I had restored her. I'm not gonna lie. My panties got a little damp looking at that car.

Adrian called shotgun and a very grumpy Drew climbed into the tiny backseat. Once the boys were settled, I started her up and headed across town to the palace.

Chapter 6

Everybody was at the party. It took 25 minutes before I got to the valet. Adrian and I helped extract Drew from the backseat and I handed off my keys. Adrian checked his phone. "8 PM, Elle, you should have flipped a few minutes ago. Do you feel any different?"

I shook my head. Our parents were just ahead and waiting for us on the steps. We hurried to catch up.

"I don't feel any different," I murmured to my mother.

It was Drew who answered. "You won't. Not until you see him."

I nodded and grabbed his hand. "Promise me you won't let me do anything stupid."

Drew squeezed my fingers. "I promise."

The crowd cleared the doorway and my family and I were swept inside. The palace was gorgeous. There were flowers and twinkly lights everywhere. The smells of delicious food swept out from the ballroom. Almost everyone I knew would be here tonight. My eyes were sweeping the crowd for familiar faces and smiling whenever I found one.

"Don't look now, Elle," Adrian breathed in my ear. "Trip is right over there."

I wanted to squeeze my eyes shut but instead, I slowly let my eyes wander in the direction my brother was looking. My eyes landed on Trip. Nothing. Thank the goddess.

Adrian looked at me and I shook my head. We both sighed.

The crowd kept moving and we were finally pushed through the doors of the ballroom. The room was massive and several smaller, but still huge, rooms had been opened up on either side. There was plenty of room to spread out and we were finally able to move out of the flow of the crowd.

My parents spotted some of our family friends at a table across the dance floor. Our friends gestured for us to join them so we made our way across the dance floor and sat. My family arranged themselves so I had a good view of the room.

Mrs. Florin spoke as soon as we sat down. "There have been two mate discoveries already, she said quietly. Elena Albus imprinted on Luke Erner. He won't flip for another six months but seems perfectly happy to take her word for it. They disappeared shortly after it happened. You know how the Hofers have been worried because Robert flipped a year ago but hadn't found his mate yet?" My mother nodded. "Mystery solved. He has been talking about wanting to go to school in Europe for his Masters's program and just a few minutes ago he met a friend of the king's from a territory in Moldavia or someplace. Soon as Robert and the daughter of the foreign wolf laid eyes on each other the girl jumped into his arms and began kissing his neck. If you look way over there past that woman in blue, you can see them. I'm not sure they've come up for air, yet." We all craned our necks to see the couple.

Mrs. Florin turned to look at me. "Goddess, Elle, you look stunning. Anyone caught your eye, yet?"

"No ma'am. Not yet."

She patted my hand gently. "Don't you worry. It'll happen. I'm sure the goddess has great things for you."

I thanked her and went back to scanning the room.

****

After crowd-watching for a while, I joined Adrian and Andrew in the buffet line. There were so many things to eat. I briefly wondered if anyone had ever imprinted on an egg tart. It seemed entirely possible as a picked one up with tiny tongs and studied it. Like everything else in the palace, it was beautiful. I put the tart on my plate and moved down the line.

Once we had filled our plates we moved back to the table.

"You just missed them," Mrs. Florin gasped at us. "The prince and princess just came by not five minutes ago."

We all three turned our heads to see if we could spot them. No luck.

We took our seats. "How did they look?" I asked.

"Perfect," Mrs. Florin summed.

"The prince is wearing a jade color and he looks magnificent." My mom added.

"The princess is dressed in a golden dress that makes her look ethereal." Mrs. Florin sighed.

My dad was grinning at my mom. "Ethereal, I think is the exact word I was looking for before you took my breath away."

"That's super cheesy, Dad." Adrian laughed and shook his head.

My dad didn't seem to hear him at all. He just kept grinning at my mom. She tilted her head and kissed him. "Let's dance, Gabe."

She rose and he followed her like he had no choice and didn't want one.

My brothers and I finished our food and Andrew smiled at me. He waggled his eyebrows. "Hey Adrian?" he called without looking at him.

"Yeah?" Adrian replied.

"Let's take our sister to the dance floor and see if we can't find her someone to dance with."