Smoke on the Water Ch. 01

Story Info
New cases for the team quickly become complicated.
19.1k words
4.8
8.6k
11

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/09/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 9th, from the Channel Two Anchor Desk at KXTC Studios. "The search is on for a new SBI Director!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "SBI Director James 'Curly' Goodwin was declared the winner of the Town & County Inspector General's race, despite continuing disputes over Commander Donald Troy's illegal breach of a barrier at the Election Center and arrest of a vote counter at the scene."

Bettina: "Former Board of Inquest Member Bruce Finneran sued to have the result of the Election vacated due to Commander Troy's egregious interference, but Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom personally took that case and summarily dismissed the complaint with prejudice. Federal lawsuits have also been dismissed, some for lack of standing."

Bettina: "Due to his win in the Election, Director Goodwin submitted his resignation from the SBI, effective January 1st. For more on this, let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the handsome black reporter in the well-fitting suit... a little too handsome in a little too nice a suit... from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with the State Office Building in the background. "Lame duck Governor Val Jared issued a statement saying that he would leave the choosing of the next SBI Director in the hands of Governor-elect Sharon Marshall. Neither Marshall nor her Campaign Office, now her Transition Office, have issued any statements on the matter, nor responded to questions asking if Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy is being considered for the post."

Lemay: "With the Budget battle looming in the State Legislature, where failure to pass a Budget is not an option for this session, it remains to be seen what the shape of the SBI will look like. Black Democrats like Tasheeka Harris of Midtown are demanding that the SBI be defunded and all monies for local Police be stripped from the State Budget, and for that money to be put into diversity training and social justice programs."

Lemay: "The State Senate is barely in Republican hands, 19-17 after The City declared two Democrats the winners despite baseless Republican claims of fraud. The Republican lawsuits over voting irregularities were squashed in Court, and all appeals immediately denied. But there is no room for error, and it is widely agreed that whoever Governor Marshall names as the next SBI Director could go a long way towards funding the SBI. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Carl!" Bettina said. "And now let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for a breaking news story. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde reporterette from that same rooftop, but showing Police Headquarters in the background. "And weren't those words wonderful? 'Lame duck' Governor Val Jared? And his racist policies nearly out the door?"

Bettina: 'Don't get too excited, Amber. Sharon Marshall may be just as racist in her policies against hardworking Undocumented Workers and People of Color."

Amber: "That's very true, Bettina. And in other news, there has been a series of credit card fraud cases and identity thefts across the northern part of the State, potentially affecting online sales and upcoming Holiday sales. Several incidents have been reported to the Town & County Police, but the TCPD apparently has not attempted to solve them, nor has the TCPD responded to repeated requests for comment by KXTC Channel Two News."

Amber: "And the SBI's Drug Enforcement unit and the Federal DEA have confirmed to Channel Two News that there has been an increase in amounts of fentanyl being brought into the County. The TCPD has not responded to repeated requests by KXTC Channel Two News for comment. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" said Bettina. Then her enthusiasm dropped as she said "And now let's go to Pat Stellum for another breaking news story. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the Al-Capone lookalike and wannabee, giving trenchcoats a bad name as he came on the screen. "Channel Two News has learned that Town Fitness Centers has gone up for sale! Viewers will remember that employee Carl Ryder was murdered several weeks ago, and owner Cindy Ross gave the Town & County Police personal data on the employees and customers of Town Fitness Center, allowing the TCPD to unlawfully and recklessly investigate the private lives of those citizens!"

Stellum: "And it was the death of employee Carl Ryder that exposed a male prostitution ring that he was a part of, and Dr. Laura Fredricson's role in it, leading to ethics charges being brought against her. Neither Cindy Ross, who was forced to retire from the TCPD, nor Town Fitness Centers would respond to repeated requests by KXTC for comment..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Do you get the i-deeeeeeeaaah," drawled Police Chief Sean Moynahan, "that nobody wants to talk to Channel Two Newzzzzzz?" We all laughed.

At the table in the Chief's Conference Room, drinking coffee and watching the broadcast, were the Chief, Sheriff Griswold, me, Commander Tanya Muscone, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and ADA Paulina Patterson.

"And they're upset about it." I replied. "I'm surprised they haven't mentioned Tanya by name yet."

"Well they didn't name you either, Don." Tanya replied, her eyes sparkling mischievously. "Which is a small victory for you, I guess."

"And speaking of small victories," said the Sheriff, "that situation in the City was really bad. The ballots in the illegal dropboxes they allowed were 96% for Democrats. It didn't matter much in the Governor and Lieutenant Governor elections, and a lot of the dropbox votes weren't filled in for State AG. But one of those State Senate races might have gone for the Republicans if it weren't for the dropbox votes. And the other one was Maxine Watts's race. She'd have won, anyway, but it would've been very close, maybe within the half percent for a recount."

"Yes sir." I said. "We have State Senator Maxine Watts again. I can hardly wait for that." Everyone chuckled at my dripping sarcasm.

"What I want to know," said Teresa Croyle, a scowl on her otherwise very attractive face, "is why KXTC continues to attack Cindy, and Laura. Stellum's report was just pure, raw hatred, not to mention dishonest. And everything with them is o-vah... isn't it?"

"That little shit Stellum ain't got nothing better." spat Paulina. We all looked over at her; we were not used to that kind of vehemence, much less potty-mouth-language from our lovely ADA. She looked around and said "What, am I getting kicked out of the klatch for that?"

"You're getting kicked out anyway." I said amusedly with a little grin. "When do you move back into your City Hall office?" There were gasps of surprise from the others.

Paulina understood, though. She said "When they finish refurbishing an office for me and one for Savannah."

Seeing everyone's looks, Paulina saved me the trouble of explaining by doing it herself: "Don't let this get out of here, but Miriam is going through with her plan for ADAs as section leaders, if you will, and DDAs doing the prosecutorial work. The only question remaining is if I'm the MCD ADA or the Vice ADA."

"Miriam hasn't decided that?" asked Teresa, her voice connoting surprise.

"Miriam, Savannah, and I are having lunch with Captain Claire Michaels today." Paulina said. "Miriam wants to get Claire's input on that, which is massively surprising to me, since Miriam never seems to want to take advice from anyone. So we'll see."

Tanya asked "By the way, Sheriff, where is Cindy? It's not like she's been banished from the coffee klatches, either."

"Har." barked the Sheriff. "Maybe the Iron Crowbar or Iron Wolf can answer that?"

"Yes sir, I can." said Teresa. "Cindy's taking some time off, and getting her personal life in order. She's putting the gym up for sale, getting things ready for the baby's arrival in January, and she and Callie are looking for a place to move into. Claire Michaels has already expressed an interest in renting or buying their condo when they move out."

'Where do you think Cindy will end up?" Paulina asked. "That 'safe room' house on Reservoir Road?"

"The Cabin." Tanya said with a wicked grin. "After Don is named SBI Director and moves back to Midtown!"

Do I even need to say that a red crowbar was waved in her general direction? Along with a look that connoted she had apparently fallen out of a tree and hit her head?

"I'll never give up The Cabin." I said. "When the time comes, and they come to take my body to the Frank Freeman Funeral Home, they'll probably pick it up at The Cabin."

"It is a wonderful place." Paulina said agreeably. "How did you manage to buy it?"

"I don't contemplate my good fortune on that." I replied. "I just stay grateful." Lucky, lucky Iron Crowbar, I thought to myself.

Sheriff Griswold said "At the time, it was pretty much a shack that nobody really wanted. And there were ideas at the time that Thomas P. Cook would use eminent domain to claim the property and sell or rent it to BigCommunicationsCorp to put a cell tower there. But Don bought it anyway, and Cook's scheme fell through."

I added: "And I wouldn't recommend the method of redecoration, but when it burned down, it gave me the chance to rebuild it into the wonderful place it is now." (Author's note: 'Seriously Inconvenienced', Ch. 04.)

"Soooo, Mis-ter Crowbarrrrr," drawled the Chief, "if not you, who will our next SBI Director beeee?"

"Sheriff Griswold." I said flat deadpan, which earned me a look from him identical to the one I'd given Tanya. Teresa, Tanya, and Paulina were somewhere between snickers and outright laughter.

"Try again, Crowbar." growled Griswold. "Seriously, I am curious who you have in mind to suggest to Governor-elect Marshall."

"I'm curious, too, sir, and I'm not being facetious when I say that." I replied. "Sharon Marshall hasn't asked, and I don't know who I'd suggest to her... unless Jack Muscone actively expresses interest in it."

For some strange reason, all eyes went to Tanya P. Muscone. "He has not said anything to me about it, so please don't start any rumors." she said.

"That's not a denial." Teresa said. "And the Iron Crowbar almost never speaks lightly about anything." I just shrugged.

A bit of irritation crept into Tanya's voice as she said "One more time: Jack has not spoken to me about leaving the FBI, much less applying for the SBI Director position. And he would say something if he had any desires to make that change. There is no 'there', there; there is no smoke, much less any fire. So please... don't start up any shit that gets back to KXTC and gets that bitch Bettina spreading false rumors like her frickin' worthless aunt always does!"

I could tell that Tanya was getting upset, as her voice nearly cracked a couple of times. I said "Don't stress on it, Tanya. There are good SBI candidates from within; one of them will likely get the job."

I continued: "And that reminds me: did anyone else notice the way Lemay worded his report about the next SBI choice? That it might determine if the SBI even gets funded? I suspect... that the SBI Director position might be held hostage to the Budget's passage."

Teresa replied "Yes, and I also noticed that that bitch Amber wouldn't say 'SBI-IDE', but only their 'drug enforcement unit', or whatever. Looks like they'll have the same old fight again on that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching the KFXU broadcast in my office with Teresa, I refilled our coffee mugs for the Angel (singular) meeting.

"Tanya not joining us today?" Teresa asked. "And what about Claire?"

I said "Tanya went back to her office. I think we upset her talking about Jack and the SBI Director position."

"I pushed her on that, too." said Teresa. "But I'll be blunt, Don... I think we touched a wire, there. She was actually getting upset about it. Made me wonder if there is some truth to that."

I said "I never should've mentioned Jack's name in conjunction with that job, even jokingly. Tanya's right: we've got moles all over the goddamn place around here; Bettina's aunt, Elsie Gringer, is the gossip columnist for a lot of online papers; and Bettina herself would love nothing more than to start slinging mud and stirring the pot about TCPD Officers and their relatives."

"I won't mention it out loud again, at least not in her presence." Teresa said. "But like I said before... I never heard a full denial."

"Let's let it go." I 'suggested'. "As to Claire, she's meeting with her Lieutenants Three right now, and will come in and brief me once they've briefed her. You are welcome to join that meeting, if you like."

"I would," Teresa replied, "but I'm going to be meeting with the Precinct leaders at 9:00am. Today is Captain Abram and Lieutenant DeLong's day to impress me with their coffee-making and asskissing skills at the Old Mill."

"They better be impressing me with the condition of their units." I replied. "My annual spot inspections will be coming soon. And this year... it's going to include random weapons qualifications and unit tests at the range."

I saw a worried look cross Teresa's face. The TCPD never passes my first inspection, no matter how hard they work or how well they prepare. And that ultimately was on her...

Part 2 - By Fraud...

Between my office and the Lieutenant's offices was a suite of two offices. The one on the right, as one looks from the hallway coming in, had been Captain Malone's office. It had been refurbished and was now being used by Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle. The office on the left had been renovated and used by Cindy and then Tanya, and was now Claire Michaels's office.

The offices were not as deep as mine and (now) Tanya's. On the left side near the entrance to the hallway was a small room with a table and four chairs. The right side was open, and could be a place for an assistant/secretary to have a desk. It was in that small conference room that Claire Michaels and Lieutenants Jerome Davis, Mary Milton, and Micah Rudistan gathered at 8:00am. After watching the KFXU broadcast, they started their meeting.

"Tell me about these credit card problems, that the Media seems to know more about than I do." Claire said.

Mary Milton replied: "The Press tries to make it sound like this has been going on a while and we're just not doing anything about it, but the four cases we have were reported just this weekend. Two were at the University Campus Bookstore, and belong to the Campus Police and the SBI. Two more were at The Mall on the northside of Town, and that will be our inroad into joining the investigation."

Mary: "What we have so far, thanks to Ranger Halston------"

"Ranger Halston?" Claire interrupted. "Is that his first name?"

"No ma'am." said Mary, wariness edging into her voice.

"Is he still in the Rangers?" Claire asked.

"No ma'am." Rudistan said hastily. "He was an Army Ranger with Kalsu and a couple of our SWAT Team members. They call each other that, and then Commander Troy started calling Halston 'Ranger Halston' out of respect, so now we all do."

"O-kay." said Claire, her voice skeptical. "So what did Halston find?"

Mary: "The reports of credit card fraud started in Pottsville about three weeks ago. Over the last couple of weeks, the cases spread southwest and west, to Palmyra County near Midtown, and to Hamilton County. The two cases at the Mall here were residents of Nextdoor County, and the University Bookstore cases were students who lived in Pottsville, and Lexington, which is Hamilton County. We're going to work through the data, see if any trends come up."

Claire Michaels said "While you're doing that, contact the banks in the County, and see if they've had any problems with debit card fraud recently. They tend to just report to their insurance companies, who may or may not contact us."

Rudistan said "I can have Chris Purvis do that, ma'am. He's our financial crimes guru, and he knows who to call at the banks."

"He's the new 'Abacus', eh?" said Claire. The room instantly fell silent. Rudistan had pained look on his face.

"Er, ma'am," said Jerome Davis, "we don't use that term around here since Julie Newton betrayed the Force."

"Ah. Oh yeah, I forgot about that." Claire said. "My apologies. But yes, have Purvis call the banks. And more generally, I'll be interested in seeing what patterns emerge from your analysis. Someone has found a mine, an information mine, and is tapping it to commit fraud. Okay, what about these fentanyl reports?"

Rudistan: "The SBI-IDE and the DEA apparently told the Press things that they did not tell us. There are always people trying to bring in drugs, especially with University students being such a huge market, but we've heard nothing of any specific fentanyl pipelines. I told my people before I came into this meeting to check around and see if they can verify the Press reports."

"Does anyone here have good contacts with the DEA, and can touch base with them?" 
Claire asked. She was looking at Mary, but Mary shook her head vigorously. Rudistan came to both their rescues.

"I'll take care of that, ma'am." said Rudistan. "And Commander Troy is probably the one to touch base with on that. Verrrry touchy issue around these parts..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"No doubt." I said as I sat in my 'Command Chair' behind my desk in my office. "The Press is pure evil, especially KXTC."

"I still wish I could've been told as fast as they were about these issues" said Claire Michaels, sitting in the 'near side' hot chair, the one closest to the door.

"Well, don't hold it against your subordinates." I replied, knowing that was Claire's insinuation. "The Press found out over the weekend, or it was leaked to them with the purpose of creating mischief, that these things happened. They then spent all weekend planning how to embarrass us as much as possible. Hell, we've been literally processing a murder scene and Bettina and Amber go on the air and ask why I... me, by name... haven't solved it yet. Any cheap shot they can get in, they'll take. And the truth does not matter to them."

Claire nodded, then said "On this fentanyl business, who contacts the Feds so we can work with them on it?"

I said "Before I answer, let me reiterate and reinforce what I told you before: my first and so far only standing order to you is that under no circumstances are you to ever ask the Miltons, especially Mary, to help the Feds, nor go behind her back and give any information she obtains to the Feds. You can come to me, and only me, and I'll decide what to share with the Feds."

I continued: "And if you didn't realize it before, realize now just how dead serious I am about this. I saw Dr. Milton in the Hospital, beaten nearly to death by Federal Agents, and my son wants me to stop being an FBI Consultant after Federal Agents destroyed my home, and he won't let it go. So I am fully on the Miltons side, and if they ever quit the TCPD, it will be as close to an irreparable blow as there ever could be. They are both that good and that indispensable to us... and you will see that in time, so hear me now and believe me later."