Smoke on the Water Ch. 03

Story Info
Solutions; Thanksgiving; Orange Order selections.
15.2k words
4.77
6.3k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/09/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 15 - Wins and Losses

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 16th, from the Channel Two News anchor desk at the KXTC studios. "The Federal DEA opens an investigation of the Town & County Police Force!"

After the hard charging intro music, Bettina began: "The DEA believes that the Town & County Police leaked classified information regarding Elena Katerina Von Telsing, the DEA Agent who was slain and an attempt made to snatch her body from the HAZMAT vehicle transporting it to the Morgue."

Bettina: "The Town & County Police has denied the allegations that they were the source of the leaks, but then turned right around and said they would not cooperate with the DEA's attempts to investigate them, making us wonder what they are trying to hide. Reached for comment, Police Chief Sean Moynahan said that the DEA is trying to blame the TCPD for the DEA's own failure and leaks, and he will not permit them to, and I quote, 'attempt to frame the TCPD the way Federal Agents attempted to frame Donald Troy with forged documents a year ago.', close quote."

Bettina: "Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, wife of FBI Agent Jack Muscone, who oversees the TCPD Public Relations Office, did not respond to repeated requests by KXTC Channel Two News for comment. And in a related story, the DEA also complained that Channel Two News released the name of the DEA Agent and some of her family and career background. KXTC Channel Two News had refused the DEA's unreasonable demands to withhold the information, citing the Freedom of the Press, and the concept that you the Public have the right to know the truth."

Bettina: "And let's go to Pat Stellum with a report on the Police Union's war with Commander Donald Troy and the TCPD. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Stellum, reporting from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the background. "The Police Union has filed lawsuits in both State Superior Court and Federal Court after Sheriff Antonio Griswold ignored the Union's grievances of Donald Troy's actions against two Police Officers!"

Stellum: "Sheriff Griswold acted to continue the process of terminating Officer Justin Hendricks for cause, despite vociferous and very legitimate objections by the Union. The Sheriff also moved to demote Sergeant Toole to Patrol Officer for alleged insubordination charges filed by Commander Donald Troy."

Stellum: "The Federal lawsuit asks Federal Judge K.M. Landis to force the TCPD into binding arbitration before the National Labor Relations Board. The TCPD has steadfastly refused binding Federal arbitration for any of its disputes, and are not making an exception for these grievances. The State lawsuit seeks to enjoin the TCPD from enforcing the Sheriff's actions and ultimately to reverse them."

"Pat!" said Bettina as the feed went to a split-screen. "Is there any possibility of a strike by the rank-and-file Police over Troy's brutal actions against two good Police Officers, one of them a respected Sergeant?"

Stellum: "Unfortunately, Bettina, my sources tell me that there is no appetite for a strike at this time. What may happen, though, is that during the next collective bargaining agreement, the Union is expected to add language that will force the TCPD to submit to binding Federal arbitration in situations like these. Experts say that this would be very popular with the rank-and-file members of the Police Union. Back to you, Bettina!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Where's Carl Lemay?" asked Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, me, Chief Sean Moynahan, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Deputy Chief (Ret.) Cindy Ross drank coffee and watched in the Chief's Conference Room. And for the record, Cindy was clearly showing her pregnancy.

"No racially-charged stories for Carl, I guess." said Teresa. "And I see that Bettina took a cheap shot at you, Tanya. Trying to create more division between the TCPD and the Feds by putting you on the spot?"

"Probably." said Tanya. "I'm surprised y'all haven't asked me about Jack's opinion on that."

"And we won't." I said. "It would be hypocritical of me to expect your loyalty to the TCPD but then turn around and demand you tell us of conversations between you and your husband. You'll tell us if you and Jack want us to know, and I have no further expectations along those lines."

"I appreciate that." said Tanya. "And I am willing to tell you that Jack is very worried about what Dwight Stevens is doing by calling for an investigation of the TCPD. Jack and Karina White are trying very hard to stop the investigation, which normally would be the FBI's job to do."

Tanya: "Jack also wants me to let you know that Elena Katrina's funeral was in New York over the weekend. Full honors, American Flag and all that. But guess who else showed up there?"

"Amber Harris." I said. That caused Cindy to whirl around and peer at me. I just looked back at her, my eyes conveying affirmation of the first thing that had come into my cousin's platinum blonde head.

"Why would she show up there?" Teresa asked.

"And how did yoooo know she was there, Mis-ter Crowbarrrr?" drawled the Chief. "Please don't tell me you're keeping tabs on herrrr."

"I should be keeping tabs on Amber; she's relentlessly driven to harm me and my family as much as she can." I said. "But in this case, I got the scoop from a confidential source who was there." I didn't mention my source's name, but her initials were (K)arina (W)hite.

"As to why Amber was there," Tanya said, "Jack said he didn't know why, and he never found out. He said Amber wasn't indiscreet like Pat Stellum was when he showed up at Carl Ryder's funeral, but she did talk to some of Elena's family members." (Author's note: 'The Babymaker', Ch. 03, for the Ryder funeral story.)

"She was probably trying to dig up some dirt on this developing DEA-TCPD feud." Teresa said.

"Sounds good, so let's leave it there." I said. "Chief, any more news on the Union lawsuits?"

"Yezzz." said the Chief. "They could have taken this to the I.G.'s Office, then the Council, but they have instead cho-sennnnn to take it to the Courts. We expect the State Courts won't give them much more than the time of day, but even with K.M. Landis handling it in Federal Court, we might have trouble therrrre."

"Why, sir?" asked Teresa.

"Bee-cauzzze," said the Chief, "if the Feds want an inroad into the T-C-P-Deeeee, like they've been trying to get through the DOJ Civil Rights Division and now the DEA investigationnnn, they'll bend the Court's willlll to get what they wannnnt."

"But Judge K.M. Landis will never go for that, sir." Teresa said. "And whatever happened to Separation of Powers, and an independent Judiciary?"

I said "I'm sorry to say that that has flown straight out the window. When the Elites want something, they are going to get it, and they will manipulate the Courts to toe the Establishment line. For example, imagine if there was a President they wanted to make damn sure did not win re-election..."

Part 16 - The HAZMAT Solution

9:00am, Monday, November 16th. Chief Moynahan called a meeting in Classroom 'E'. Invited to attend were me, Commander Muscone, Lt. Commander Croyle, Captain Michaels, and her Lieutenants Three.

"I sup-possse you're wondering why I called this meeting today." the Chief quipped after we were all seated. "This to inform you that the Federal DEA has officially notified us that they are completely taking over the case of the mur-derrrr of Agent Elena Katrina. They have filed all the correct legal paperwork, including with the Federal Courrrrts. They are demanding that we turn over everything we have on the case toooo them, and that we cease and desist working on the case in any capacity a'tallllll."

"That won't be hard, sir." said Captain Michaels. "We've already given them everything we have."

"Everything?" Tanya Muscone asked sharply, insinuating that the Miltons might've held something back.

"Yes, everything." I replied. "Unless you've come up with something new over the weekend that hasn't matriculated up to me yet?" I looked around the room. Everyone shook their heads 'no'.

"O-kayyyyy, then." the Chief said. "I bee-lieeeeve Commander Troy has a few things for you, so I'll leave you to it." He stood up, and we all stood up and remained standing until he had exited the room.

I said "Commander Muscone, Commander Croyle, you may go."

"Sir, if it's okay with you, can I stay?" asked Teresa.

"Er, why don't you go on ahead." I said. "Besides, you need to be getting the Precincts ready for my inspections next week." I felt the jolt of worry throughout the room, and was inwardly pleased that they rightfully feared what was going to happen.

After Tanya and Teresa left, I sat down and so did everyone else. "Captain Michaels, get the MCD and Vice Detectives that are here at Headquarters in here." As that happened, I said to the rest of them: "As we close out this case, I want to discuss the aspects of it one last time. There are a lot of teachable moments we can learn from it."

MCD Detectives Rodriguez, Parker, Warner, Washington, Coleman, Newman came in, followed by Vice Detectives Laurer, Monroe, Statler, Waldorf, Paul, and Perry. After they all found seats, some not at the table but in chairs against the wall, I started the discussion.

"Okay," I said, "let's quickly go over what we know. What do y'all think happened? And speak up, don't be afraid to be wrong. I'll tell you right now that it is possible that -I- was in error about some of it."

"If I may ask, sir," said Claire Michaels, "where were you in error, so that we can factor that into our own thinking?"

"May I guess, sir?" Julia Rodriguez asked.

"Sure." I said.

Julia: "Your original thesis, sir', was that low-level drug gang members killed Elena because high-level gang leaders and others, like Mobsters, would not expose themselves to the fentanyl they shoved her face into. And that may be right, but it isn't necessarily the case. We had no other deaths reported, no bodies wash up, and no reports of fentanyl all over the floor anywhere, at all."

Julia: "So I was thinking that someone wearing as little as a Burke 5-Minute Air Mask and a Tyvex suit could safely have done that to Elena. And that could be anyone, sir... or no one gang-related. We got absolutely nothing from all our C.I.s and other intel we could produce. So it may be something or someone else. Maybe even the right hand of the Desert Scorpions not knowing what the left hand was doing."

I said "That is excellent thinking. And yes, that is my possible error. I gave that thesis to the DEA, as well, but since they insist we no longer help them (air quotes) 'a'tall', we'll just see if they can figure it out for themselves."

"Sir," said Roark Coleman, "I still don't see why the Desert Scorpions would kill her, dump her body, then try to snatch it again. And as Dr. Fredricson had told us, this group is small and very meticulous. My thesis is that they would not have two groups acting on the same case and not know what the other was doing. And also, sir, I do think that capsule and its contents are the key to the case."

"That is also excellent thinking, Mr. Roark." I said. We often called him that, partly due to the name of the Host on 'Fantasy Island'. Young whippersnappers and young readers might not remember Ricardo Montalbán's portrayal of that character. "And I totally agree with you... it's two separate groups here; one that killed her, another that tried to snatch her body. So what was the data on the chip?"

Mary Milton said "The data contained financial and drug transactions, and also a few items on some of the political and corporate Elites, but probably not enough to prosecute the likes of Edward Blassingame, Matthew Willis, Elliot Sanders, and Curtis Meigs. Any of them might've wanted that data to be recaptured from Elena before the Feds got to it."

"And in that, they utterly failed." I said. "The DEA and FBI have the data. But it occurs to me that even though some of you have mentioned it, you are all forgetting one small thing. And that small thing is the true key to the mystery, here."

It somewhat bothered me to hear the utter silence in the room. Finally Lt. Jerome Davis spoke up: "I'm sure it's right in our faces, sir, but we're still a step behind your vision of it."

I said "Yes, it really is a matter of perspective. Let me put it this way, and it was said before: the Desert Scorpions were already here, in place, and were able to act to try to steal the body. " I still got a lot of blank looks.

"Sir," said Julia Rodriguez, "I see some of what you're getting at. The Scorpions probably did not know that they were going to have to snatch a body, but did so when she came over all dead."

"Yes. And take it further." I said. When Julia shrugged, I went on: "Let me ask this: how did the Desert Scorpions know they needed to snatch that body?"

"Because they knew they had to get the capsule back." said Teddy Parker.

"Ohh, I get what you're saying!" said Joanne Warner. "They knew she had swallowed that capsule! They knew the capsule was there in the first place!"

"There you go." I said. "And that was my train of thought, too. The Desert Scorpions were expecting to get that capsule... though likely not from her dead body. But how did they know there was a capsule in the first place? Because that was part of the plan, and that was the reason that a team of Desert Scorpions was here in the first place... to get that capsule's information."

Murmurs of understanding were starting up. Claire Michaels said "Does that mean there's a leak, a mole, in the DEA? Someone told the Scorpions that Agent Katrina had the data, and they went after it, too? And do we need to inform the DEA of this before someone else gets hurt or killed?"

"Yes, there was a traitor in the DEA." I said. "And the DEA already knows who it is, if I don't miss my guess."

"And you never do!" said a chorus of the more longtime Detectives.

I did not smile, but just said "And that traitor... was Elena Katrina herself. That data she gathered? It was not, and never was, meant for the DEA. It was meant for the organization she was really a part of. You see, Elena Katerina Von Telsing was herself a member of the Desert Scorpions!"

In the utter silence of the room, I continued: "Elena was all-too-easily able to become a courier for some of these drug Cartels she penetrated. They knew, but the DEA did not know, that she was a double agent. She would give the DEA some information, and some of it had to be good, but she also really was couriering data for the Cartels to other criminal organizations."

"Elena and her fellow Desert Scorpions were smart, though." I said. "She did not hang around one organization for too long, but moved on to befriend the girlfriend of another Cartel member. She probably really did know those women from past associations, but that's neither here nor there. The key is that she was playing the double game... but on the side of the Scorpions, not the DEA."

Me: "And so... a few weeks ago, she came to Southport, expecting to be there two days. But she never left. This time, she got caught up. She obtained the data on the chip, but was somehow compromised. She executed the 'Plan B'... she carried the chip and its cipher in a capsule, but would only swallow it as a last resort... and that last resort happened. She was caught, beaten, and then her face was shoved into the fentanyl."

Me: "Meanwhile, the Desert Scorpion team was waiting for delivery of the capsule of information, likely in a prescription bottle, not her tummy. And they were all here in this County, or nearby. When the Desert Scorpions heard, probably on our Police Band, that a young woman was found dead, they sprang into action. I'm sure they expected to be able to waylay a Coroner's vehicle and steal the body, and did not expect a full HAZMAT vehicle. But still they tried, and obviously they failed."

"Question, sir." said Mary Milton. "We have massaged that data three ways to Sunday, and I'm sure your wife's CIA friends have, as well. And I didn't see anything on it so bad that the Desert Scorpions had to sacrifice four people in such a cool and desperate attempt to snatch the body. Or can you just not talk about that?"

"My answer is that I don't know what the big deal was," I said, "but I'll speculate that it involved the names of those Swamp Frogs. Maybe that data could be married up to data we do not have, which would form a case against them."

I went on: "Laura was right in that the CIA had far more knowledge of the Desert Scorpions than the domestic Fed Agencies did, so maybe there's something that that they'd know about that we wouldn't know if that chip slapped us in the face and called us 'mama'." There were some chuckles at that. "And if that's the case, I couldn't talk about it if I did know what was going on."

"So Elena was totally not worthy of that funeral the DEA gave her?" said Joan Warner darkly.

"I'd say not." I said. "But at the same time, I don't know who killed her. The killer or killers may have murdered her because she was a DEA Agent. And hey! maybe the DEA knew she was with the Scorpions, and let her play the Game as long as they got their piece of the intel pie."

I then said, almost to myself as much as to them: "Things start to get... dicey... at the Federal level. Lines blur, loyalties shift, and one just doesn't know who one can and cannot trust..."

"Truth to power on that." Mary said. "And sir, is it possible that Agents of the DEA itself killed her? I'm asking on account of 'Infinity Circle' theoretically being involved."

"And it's excellent that that did not get by you." I replied. "Yes, I've considered that. Certainly the DEA is now moving to take over the investigation and take it out of our hands. The 'Infinity Circle' link does show that the DEA may have involvement, but it does not necessarily mean they were responsible for Elena's death. And that is something we may never discover, and may not want to..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And once again, the Iron Crowbar steers the rowboat of Truth through the smoke on the water." Teresa said when I got back to my office. In the room with her was Commander (Ret.) Cindy Ross. They had watched my narrative on the monitor in my office.

"Thanks." I said, though a bit dully. "And I'm sorry to have sent you out like I did, but------"

Teresa held up a hand. "But you wanted to send Tanya out, but not embarrass her by being the only one you made leave. I get it, and that's okay. My question is: does that adequately explain Dwight Stevens's egregious behavior yesterday?"

I mulled the question and possible answers. "To some degree, yes." I said. "I think he and the DEA are coming to grips with the full import of Elena's death. But Dwight Stevens has been one of those that just can't deal with me seeing farther than him, and then doing something dramatic. He'd hate Sherlock Holmes, too, who sometimes was dramatic in his solutions. And it's just reached the point where I'm tired of his not believing me and I'm not taking any more crap from him. And the circle goes on. I don't need him, and we'll see if he doesn't need me."