So Many Kinds of Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leaning back in my seat, I lightly drummed my fingers on the table as I delivered his sentence. "So -- what I'm going to do instead is show up every so often. Maybe you'll be at work, or on a date, or coming out of the grocery store. Whatever it is you do. And maybe I'll hit you, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just drive a thumb into one of your nerve clusters for a minute or two, till you beg me to stop. Don't know. Depends on my mood."

He looked blank now, as if his personality had deserted him along with his courage.

Smiling, I continued. "But you'll never know when I'll show up. Maybe you won't see me for a month -- or a year -- or a day. And that's what's going to eat you alive, Michael." I stood up and dusted myself off. "Now, it's been fun catching up, but my pizza's ready and my sister's waiting."

I sauntered back to Eddie. "What's he doing?" I asked, not wanting to look at Michael myself and ruin the moment.

Eddie actually smiled. "Makin' a run for the men's room."

He shoved the pizza box across the counter. "No charge tonight, pal."

**

Wednesday morning found us back at Dr. Hsu's office, Layla slightly out of breath from the walk down the hall. Her rebound from the chemo had ended.

"So, I know a guy," Dr. Hsu announced in the most Philly way possible.

"What kind of guy?" Layla asked.

"A smart one," the doctor replied. "We were in med school at Penn together. He went into research."

Nodding, I silently encouraged her to get on with it. She rolled her eyes at me, but something about her expression made me feel a sudden stab of hope.

"He works at a lab in Boston. They've been working for the last few years on a treatment for these aggressive cancers, and the feds just green-lighted it yesterday morning for use in a trial."

Beside me, Layla made a little noise and I took her hand in mine.

"I think it might be a good fit for you," the doctor continued. "If nothing else, it could buy you some time. Worse comes to worst, you help someone else down the road."

Once upon a time, that kind of bluntness would have made Layla cry. Today, she nodded, accepting the implications, and gave my hand a little squeeze.

"They intend to start almost immediately," Dr. Hsu said. "Do you want to give it a shot? It's OK if you don't. There are other protocols we can try. And I gotta warn you, this has no guarantees."

My sister and I looked at each other. She gave a tiny bob of her head.

"I'm in," Layla said calmly.

"Me, too," I added, squeezing her hand back. "What do we need to do?"

Dr. Hsu eyed us both and gave us an unexpected grin.

"Stick together, kids. That's how we're gonna beat this thing."

The End

Dedicated with love to my dear friend Gary, whom cancer took from us far too soon. I'm crazy about you too, kiddo -- always was, always will be.

As always, I welcome your thoughtful feedback -- and please remember to vote!