Soccer Girls Ch. 10

Story Info
A lot of Soccer, some sex and a big surprise.
6.8k words
4.7
5.3k
16
Story does not have any tags

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 05/15/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When the school year started, the season started. Katie, Melanie and Jo would be the Team Captains as the three seniors on the team. Technically, Melanie was a grad student, but she was in her fourth year of eligibility for the team. For the games, Katie would wear the armband as Captain on the field.

Katie and Melanie had also spent a lot of their free time between the end of camps and the beginning of classes to get a bunch of wedding planning done. The reception would be at a location near Katie's old house where Carol Rogers still lived. In fact, Carol actually went over and paid the deposit for them. This also meant that that date was set. It would be the last Saturday in June the following year. Katie's graduation would be in May and they would have some time after that to get the last-minute stuff done.

They had managed to be allowed to have the ceremony where they wanted it. That was a huge secret though and at this point they were not telling anyone who would be going where it would take place. All they would say was that it was convenient to the reception hall. So, it had to be near Katie's house as well.

There was one other big piece of wedding news. During the school's spring break in March, there was going to be a bachelorette party in Las Vegas. Although they were not going to have a formal "Maid of Honor," Jo was put in charge of arranging the day of party events. The girls would have one day with their mothers without everyone else and then the next day would be when everyone else would arrive. Jo promised it would be "Epic!"

The girls made arrangements for a room for themselves. Jen and Susan would need a room. Not wanting Carol to feel alone or left out, Katie told her that she was allowed to bring a "plus one."

Carol asked, "Do you mind who I bring?"

"No mom. When Melanie and I spoke about it we both just figured you would bring whomever it was that you went to see that night back over New Year's."

"Actually, I would ask Jessica Williams first. Unless that would be a problem for you."

"Maybe a surprise, but not a problem for me. If I would worry about anyone, it would probably be Abi."

"Abi and I have talked about all that. Don't worry, she'll be fine. Maybe if we have to worry about anyone it might be Jo. I am sure if I were by myself, she might have wanted to take a run at me."

"Don't be offended mom, but I am not so sure anymore. She's getting pretty serious with Margaret. Then again, maybe they'd both have wanted to, how did you put it "take a run at you."

"HAHAHA. Well, I will ask Jessica and if she can't come, then maybe you'll get to meet the mystery person."

"That first day will be just the six of us. Jen, Susan, Melanie, me and you. If Jessica is there with you that might keep Susan from be a bit less...like Susan."

The first few games of the season were great. Everything seemed to be clicking and while the games were not blow outs, it never seemed like there was any doubt about their winning. Katie and Melanie were in sync, Jo was heading an air-tight defense. But in every season a moment pops up and it is how the team handles that trial that really sets the tone. And they were about to have that moment.

The last game in September had already been circled on their calendar. This was a tough conference opponent. To add to the anxiety for this game, Jo was not going to be there. She would be taking her LSAT tests for entry into law school. At least it was a home game so while she would be missed, things were going so well that no one was overly worried about being a little short-handed.

Then after practice on Tuesday, Melanie got word that her Grandpa Jeffrey Smith had died. The funeral would be in Erie, Pennsylvania on Saturday morning and there would be no way for her to play in the game if she was going to the funeral.

Katie and Melanie went to see Coach Quincannon first thing Wednesday morning to give her the news. Coach immediately told Melanie that she wanted her to go and be with her family. The game was important, but it was still a game and she needed to be there with her family, or she would never forgive herself.

Then Coach Quincannon said something that surprised them. "You'll be going too then, won't you Rogers?"

Melanie spoke up "Coach she wanted to come but I felt bad enough not being here for the team. I couldn't take Katie away from them too."

"Melanie..." (Coach's use of her first name and not calling her "Smith" caught both Katie's and Melanie's attention) ...I just told you; it is just a game. I know the two of you are not getting married until next summer, but you are already family. You both have to go. Trust me, if I understand, the team will understand. So, when are you leaving?"

"I have a flight out tonight and now we have to get Katie on that as well."

"Okay look, I want to tell the team. I'll tell them there is an emergency meeting at 1:30. Smith (Coach was back to last names), get everything done you need to for school and everything. You don't need to come to the meeting. Once they hear, I'm sure they'll want to contact you and I'll leave it up to you how you want to respond. But I don't want you here for this. Also, I might need you to do some stuff for Rogers as well because I need you (she said turning toward Katie) to be here at 1:00. We'll have a little something we have to discuss privately before the meeting."

They both thanked the Coach and went back home to make all the necessary arrangements. As soon as the e-mail went out to the team about the meeting, girls started texting Katie and Melanie (and Jo) asking what was up. As the team Captains, this was understandable. However, all they responded was "Coach will tell you at the meeting. Please try to be there." They did let Jo know what was going on though.

Within about five minutes of telling Jo the sad news, Melanie got a text from Margaret offering her condolences. Melanie's reply was brief, but it was important to her. It showed how close Jo and Margaret had become that Jo would share that with her so quickly. It also showed how much Margaret cared about Melanie to respond as soon as she heard.

The reason for Katie to be at the meeting early was that the Coach and the Assistants had to decide who would be the captains for this game and who would get the armband. The fact that all three Captains were not going to be at this game was not something they had planned for when deciding on Captains.

Coach Quincannon said to Katie "Look, at the end of the day, this is my call, but if you couldn't be here, we'd usually give the Captain's armband to one of the other Captains. But with none of you here, who do you think should get it?"

Almost immediately Katie said "Neve Cohill."

"She's hasn't scored all year. I've been thinking about not starting her."

"I know. But I've noticed her during the camps and even so far during the season. She hangs back and I think because she's younger she defers to Melanie and me. But with us not there, she'll have to step up and she's ready for it."

"Alright, look. Go wait in my office. We have to talk and I don't want you out in the room as the other girls come in because they'll start asking you about this and I don't want you to be the one telling them. We'll come get you when it's time."

Just before 1:30, Tiffany Hochbauer walked into the office and said "Katie, it's time for the meeting."

Katie looked at her and said, "Do you think I'm nuts for suggesting Neve?"

"Well, there were two votes for her. One was mine. The other was Coach Quincannon's. But this really isn't a democracy, is it?" And with that Coach Hochbauer gave her a little smile.

At the meeting Coach told the team the sad news and also told everyone that it was not only Jo, but Melanie and Katie who were also going to be away for this game. But she just expected everyone else to step up. "If you want to know what you can do for Melanie, step up and win this game. Now I'm not saying something cheesy like win this game for her. But you should know that even in this moment of great sadness for her, she was thinking about the team and how she is letting you down by not being here. But she won't feel that way if we win."

"Cohill, you'll be wearing the armband for the game. Ladies, life throws things at you sometimes and it's how you deal with those moments that will truly define you. We'll have to adjust some things; we might have to be out of our comfort zone for this game. But that's what life has given us this week and I have every confidence you'll answer the challenge. If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't have brought you here."

She ended the meeting on that note. The team all came up to Katie. They offered her their condolences and said they'd talk to Melanie when they could. The last person to come up to her was Neve Cohill.

"Katie, I think Coach made a mistake here. Could you go talk to her and have her give this to someone else?"

"Neve, I'm the one who suggested you to Coach in the first place. And she made the decision. I would not try to change her mind, but I know you are the perfect choice."

"I haven't scored all season. I'm not you."

"You're not me, but so what? You are you and you are an excellent player. And I don't know, maybe with us around you feel like you need to step back and let us go ahead of you. But we won't be there on Saturday, and this is where you have to seize that opportunity and show the rest of the team and show Coach and show yourself just how good you are. I can't wait until next Monday when we all meet because I am going to look like a freakin' genius that I suggested you."

Neve had a huge smile and she gave Katie a big hug and said, "I won't let you down."

Katie looked at her and said "I know you won't. And on Monday, it will be 'Katie Rogers. Super Genius.'"

When Katie and Melanie arrived at the airport in Pittsburgh, Jen Smith was there to pick them up. She brought them to Melanie's Grandparents' home where they would be staying until after the funeral.

On the car ride back, Jen told them how Susan was not here for the funeral. Apparently, the firm where Susan worked had managed to recruit a new law school graduate from a very prestigious school. Jen told them that she had been Assistant Editor of the Law Review and graduated 5th in her class. Although not knowing exactly what this all meant, the way Jen had said it made this sound very impressive and this was a real coup for the firm. Katie made a note to ask Jo exactly how impressive this was when they got back (it was, in fact, very impressive).

While this young woman had taken the Bar Exam, she would not find out her results until mid-November. This meant she could not practice law right away. So, the firm had tasked Susan, as the head paralegal, with teaching her all the practical information they never teach in law school. This way once she got her results and passed, she could start right in on some major cases. Susan had apparently said "This was John's father, not yours (Jen's). So, I don't need to come for this." The anger in Jen that welled up again as she related that statement managed to drive out the sorrow for a little bit.

Jen had always gotten along well with her in-laws and after her husband John's death, they had become even closer. Kim and Jeff Smith had always doted on Melanie and she was very close to all four of her grandparents. This lose hurt Jen like it was her own father.

Kimberly Smith had met Katie a few times before and Katie had always liked her. Katie even called her Grandma Kim, just like Melanie. When they arrived at her home, Grandma Kim gave Melanie a big hug and when they parted, she gave Katie an equally big hug. She said, "Thanks for coming dear."

"Of course I would come Grandma Kim."

When they broke the hug, Grandma Kim put her hands on Katie's shoulders and said "You're gonna take care of her, right?"

"Every day Grandma Kim, for as long as I'm able." Grandma Kim dragged her back into a second hug.

After the funeral, there was a gathering back at the Smith home. Katie was introduced to all of Melanie's relatives. It was a sad occasion, and so the happy news of a wedding in the not-too-distant future was a welcome distraction for everyone.

As people began heading home, Katie and Melanie sat on the couch. They had come to the funeral and so they thought it would be disrespectful to be checking up on the game during the day. By now the game was over, but they both had to know; had this cost them that perfect season and a shot at a National Championship. Katie got out her phone and was trying to find the score. Melanie watched on tenterhooks, trying to read Katie's face to give her the news. Finally, Katie stopped scrolling and started to smile. She turned her phone to Melanie so she could read it as well. They had won, 5-1.

When they got to the airport coming home, they knew that Jo would be picking them up. But they were surprised to see that it was Neve Cohill who was with her instead of Margaret. Jo said "When Neve had heard I was going to pick you both up at the airport, she begged to come so she could tell you about the game. Margaret wanted to be here for you but she relented under the circumstances. Although I had to promise her I would beg you to come back to campus first so she could at least say hi."

The car ride back to school was Neve's recap of the game.

"Well first they came out real strong and on one play I did not help back like I should have, and they scored."

"Oh, come on Neve, we've talked about that before." admonished Katie. Even though she already knew the outcome of the game, "Coach" Katie couldn't let that go.

"I know." Neve continued. "So, we huddled up and I told the girls that was on me. And I promised them I would atone, but now I needed them to hold those girls right there. And a little while later I got a ball and went flying down the sideline, past the defender and put in a goal. Everyone was cheering but we huddled again, and I said 'Look that just makes up for the one I gave them. I still owe you guys some more. Good work but let's keep it up.' About five minutes later I score another one almost the same. So now we were up."

"So, then the defender dropped on me so I couldn't get around her on the outside, but that left me open to pass freely and I caught Michelle streaking down the middle and so we were up 3-1 at the half."

"Well, when they came out for the second half, I had this other girl on me. And she was talking a lot of smack. And she was also talking smack about you Melanie."

"Me?"

"Yeah, she said, 'Where is little blondie?' and 'I was all set to shut her down and now I'm gonna shut you down.' And she was quicker, so she stayed tight on defense and when I tried to outrun her around the end, she was able to stop me. So, one time I started hard around and then cut back in. She ended up tripping on her feet and she went right on her ass. And I have watched Melanie these last two years, so I did the same thing from the other side. I moved toward the middle and when the goalie shifted, I drilled it low and hard just inside the right post. Hattrick."

Melanie said "That's awesome Neve. I bet that shut that girl up."

"You'd think, right? But no. She was all 'You got lucky.' and 'that's your last one.' Well that just meant I had to score one more. After that, she did shut up, but she also shut me down the rest of the game. I was so angry with her talk I wanted to score four more goals.

So, we won 5-1 and I had four goals and an assist. But in the huddle after the game before Coach spoke, I apologized for my early mistake. And when some said I had scored 4 goals, I said 'Yeah, but we don't just want to do well this year, we want to be champions. And if I want to play at that level, I can't make those kinds of mistakes.' And Coach kind of agreed with me. I think she would have been more upset with me if I hadn't scored all those goals though."

Katie, who had been sitting in the front passenger seat, turned and looked back at Neve with a huge smile on her face. She just stared at Neve until the younger girl finally said "What?"

"We all knew you had talent and so the four goals are great. But the way you stepped up and took responsibility for the screw up and you didn't pat yourself on the back when you scored. That's leadership. What did I say 'Katie Rogers, super genius.'"

At their next practice, Katie went up to Coach Quincannon and said, "Looks like you didn't need me there Coach."

"Don't kid yourself Rogers, you were there. Cohill was channeling you out there. I know she's really good, that's why I recruited her. But she has gotten something more since she's been here, and I'd say you have something to do with that."

At the end of practice, as she was dismissing the team, she called out "Rogers, Smith, Napoli, Cohill, Coach Hochbauer would like you four to go to the film room. We have a little project for you.

When the four of them got there, Coach Hochbauer was already there with a screen set up. Katie and Melanie looked at each other as they couldn't help but be reminded of their Blue Lightning days.

Coach Hochbauer said "Look. I don't want any spoiler alerts. If anything looks familiar, I don't want you to talk about it, okay?"

The four of them nodded their heads wondering what this could possibly be about. Coach Hochbauer hit play and the video began. After about five seconds Jo said "Oh, no way?"

"Shush." said Coach Hochbauer. This was quickly followed by apparent recognition by Katie and Melanie. Now that Neve was the only one in the dark, Coach Hochbauer began to prod her. "Do you recognize anything Neve? Tell me if you do."

Finally, a girl in the middle of the field hit a long ball to the left sideline. Another girl ran to get it as the defender closed on her.

"They're running the same play Katie and Melanie run." Neve commented. Just then the defender took down her opponent.

"Do I really have to watch this?" asked Jo.

"Yes. Now shush or your running laps." said Coach Hochbauer.

The free kick was set up and while the offensive team all ran toward the near post, one girl circled back and headed the kicked into the goal at the far post. Neve said "Wow, that was some goal."

"It wasn't that good." said Jo. Neve looked incredulously at Jo since that was an amazing goal. Coach Hochbauer rewound the video and said "Neve, I want you to look a little closer and think about what you said about how they ran the play that Katie and Melanie run."

She started the video again and Neve stared intently, finally saying "Oh My God! That is Katie and Melanie!"

Katie laughed and Melanie said "But there's more. Look who's about to take me out."

"Jo?!"

"Guilty." At that point Coach Hochbauer stopped the video.

"Hey? I want to see the goal again." said Katie

"There is a reason I am taking us on this stroll down memory lane. Neve you said the girl who was trashing talking you in the second half said she had been ready to cover Melanie."

"Yeah."

"And let me ask you something Jo. You didn't usually play outside defender did you."

"Actually no, how did you know that?"

"I could tell by your foot work. So how come you usually played an inside defender and at that game you were an outside defender?"

"Well, we knew you guys ran that play with Melanie and I was the best defender on the team, so they wanted me out there against her."

"And except for that play you did a fine job against me Jo." Melanie chimed in.

"And Neve, why do you think that free kick play worked for the goal?"

"Well, everyone went to the near post and the defense all followed and so when the goal scorer, I mean Katie, swung back to the far post, she was wide open."

"Okay, I want to create a similar scenario for a play that's moving instead of off a set piece. We show them what they expect to see. Katie puts a ball to the sideline and Melanie gets it. First, they'll expect her to take it in, but she won't. Melanie, you stay wide. Now, if the team's well coached, they will expect us to run a trick play off our normal play. So, we are going to sell them on us doing that, but we will pull a different trick then they expect. When Melanie stops, Katie you call out to her and bust it toward the near post. Jo, as a defender, knowing this is their play, what would you think when Melanie stopped wide and Katie started running near post?"

12