Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sounds perfect, Miss Winters. Shall we say noon then?"

"Noon's good and please call me Taylor," she said as her shoe fell to the floor.

"Whoops," she said as Manny and she almost butted heads bending over to pick it up.

They laughed as he handed her the shoe and she said, "Thank you, Manny. I'll see you Saturday."

She watched Manny leave and as she licked her lips, he suddenly turned his head and looked over his shoulder at her. She blushed and quickly looked away. He smiled and waved.

"Damn!" She thought.

She was as struck by his rugged good looks as he was by her natural beauty. She hoped that he would be receptive to her as much as she wanted their girls to become friends.

***

Manny walked into his mother-in-law's house and found her playing Candy Land with Maddie.

"Hello, ladies. How's the game?"

Maddie shouted, "Hi, Daddy," and ran to hug him.

"She's kicking my butt as usual," Helen said.

"Wanna play too, Daddy?"

"No, pumpkin. We have to get you home to bed. How about if you pack up your things?"

"Okay," she pouted and bounced off.

"Well?" Helen asked. "How did it go?"

"As well as can be expected. She's worried about her not making friends too. She wants Maddie to have a play date with her daughter to see if they can bond."

"Oh! That's a great idea," Helen said, and then she smirked.

"What did you think of Miss Winters? Pretty right?"

Helen knew her from picking Maddie up from school every day.

Manny tried to mask his feelings and said, "She's okay."

"Are you shittin' me? She's a hot little red-head and she's single."

"Yeah, she told me."

Helen mock gasped, "She told you she was single? Ooh, that's a good sign."

Manny laughed and said, "Whatever. This isn't about me. It's about Maddie making friends."

"Okay, Manny. Just promise me you'll keep an open mind. I know my daughter hurt you, but she's gone and that little girl needs a momma."

"That's what you're here for," Manny said.

"Nuh-uh, Mister. I'm the grandma. Besides, you couldn't handle me."

She laughed as she walked out of the room and Manny smiled as he watched her walk away. Helen was still a beautiful woman, who at barely over fifty, could make any man's head turn.

She owned a successful real estate company and had divorced Shannon's father several years before. It seemed that he liked alcohol more than his family. He didn't even bother showing up for Shannon's funeral. Maddie never met him.

Manny was glad she could get afternoons off to do after-school babysitting for him. She was his rock as they helped each other grieve their loss of Shannon.

***

Manny and Maddie were waiting for their large cheese pizza with extra cheese when Taylor and her daughter walked up to the table.

Maddie looked up and was about to say something when she shut down and slid closer to Manny.

"Well, what a nice surprise," Taylor said. "Hello, Maddie. Hello, Manny. This is my daughter, Nicole."

"Hi, Nicole. Would you like to join us for extra cheesy pizza?" Manny asked.

She clutched Taylor's shirt but nodded yes.

"Awesome! Mom, what do you think? Would you like to join us?"

She looked at Maddie, who seemed frightened by their presence.

"Maddie, I know it's not school, but is it okay if we eat with you? I just happen to have an extra game card with credits on it."

Maddie looked up and Manny kissed her forehead. "It's okay, pumpkin. You know Miss Winters."

She nodded and Taylor smiled.

"Don't worry, Maddie. I won't talk about math problems today."

Both girls giggled as Nicole slid in next to Maddie and Taylor slid in next to Manny.

The pizza came a moment later and Manny ordered pitchers of root beer and water. The girls were hesitant to eat until Manny said that they couldn't play any games until they ate a slice. After that, they were like locusts devouring it.

As the girls played games, Manny and Taylor walked far enough behind them that they could talk privately.

"They seem to be hitting it off," Manny said. "I was worried for a bit there. I'm glad Maddie opened up a little."

"Me too," Taylor added. "I really hope this works. Maddie is such a sweet kid, it must be so hard for her emotionally."

Manny sighed, "Yeah. She was almost catatonic after her mom died. If it wasn't for Helen, I don't think she'd have ever snapped out of it."

"Helen's a nice lady. I see her from time to time at school. She thinks very highly of you."

"Is that right?" Manny asked smelling a rat. "I have a feeling that Helen played a hand in this?"

Taylor shyly smiled and said, "Let's just say that I know way more about you than you know about me at this point."

Manny laughed and said, "I thought so. Helen can't wait until I've got a new mom for Maddie."

Taylor smirked and said, "It wouldn't suck to have a new Mrs. Ortiz either, would it?"

Manny said, "I suppose the two go hand in hand don't they?"

She nodded and steered the conversation back to the girls.

***

Manny watched as the girls were whispering, giggling, and nodding conspiratorially.

Taylor said, "Here it comes."

Manny looked at Taylor's smiling face, as the girls skipped over hand in hand.

"Mommy, can Maddie come over and see my dolls?"

Maddie shyly looked up at her tall father with hopeful eyes.

"That's up to Mr. Ortiz. Manny?"

"Sure, that sounds fun."

Both girls did a happy dance and ran over to the table to eat another slice of pizza.

"So far, so good," Manny said.

Taylor nodded and said, "Let me give you my address and we can wrap it up here."

***

Manny didn't get a chance to ring the doorbell as it flew open upon their approach. Nicole grabbed Maddie's hand and they ran into the house leaving him standing at the door.

Taylor walked up laughing and said, "I'm sorry I guess she was excited."

"No problem."

"Come on in. Can I get you something to drink? I made some sun tea."

"Thanks. That sounds good."

He looked over her small house and thought it was the perfect house for a teacher. There were several bookshelves filled with various genres and all of the walls had pictures and decorations.

"So, what do you do for a living, Manny?" She asked as she handed him his tea.

"I work for a construction company. I'm a heavy machine operator."

"Oh, sounds like you get to drive big bulldozers."

He laughed and said, "Among other things. How long have you been teaching? You seem very young."

"Thank you, kind sir. Five years. This is my first year at our school."

He nodded and said, "I'm glad you're with us."

She smirked at him as he stuttered, "Um, I mean, Maddie really likes you."

"She's a great kid. I'm going to do my damnedest to help her out of her shell."

"Well, having her be friends with your child seems a bit above and beyond for you, but I'm glad you suggested it."

"I've had some experience with a child that lost a parent. It was a boy who lost his father in the Middle East. It took a lot of love and friendship to help him."

Manny nodded.

"Do you live near here, Manny?"

"Kind of. We live about a mile from here off Main Street."

"Good, it's nice that you're close to me, um, I mean to us."

Manny smiled at her and she laughed.

"I guess I'm just a little nervous. It's been a while since I've been alone with a man."

She threw her hand up over her mouth and started laughing again. Manny was amused and decided to let her off easy.

"Are you from around here?"

"Yes, I grew up two towns over, how about you?"

"Born and raised right here. In fact, I went to the school our daughters attend."

"Oh wow! How cool."

"Mm-hm. Mrs. Janata was my Principal as well. She's been there forever."

"Yeah, she'll be retiring after next year."

"Good for her. She's earned it."

The girls bounced into the room and asked if they could watch a movie. Manny agreed and the girls curled up with their own parent and enjoyed the show.

***

Maddie didn't open up to her classmates right away, but the following week she would seek out Nicole and talk with her. Helen noticed the change right away and let Manny know.

"Yeah, we spent the afternoon at Taylor's where she played dolls and watched a movie."

That's great, Manny. Did you and Miss Winters hit it off as well?"

"Nothing more than parents normally do when their kids are on a play date, I suppose. It's not like I'm going to go after my daughter's teacher, Helen. That's not appropriate."

"It is if she wants it," Helen mumbled.

"What's that, Helen?"

"Nothing, Manny. Nothing."

***

Manny got a text from Taylor on Friday afternoon. Nicole wanted another play date.

"Hey Maddie, do you want to play with Nicole tomorrow?"

Manny was shocked at her enthusiasm when she shrieked, "Yes!"

He laughed and they set up a time for lunch at McDonald's for the next day.

Taylor's last text simply said, "I'm looking forward to seeing you again."

Manny didn't notice any undertones in her meaning. Taylor thought she was being too obvious and regretted sending it.

***

Manny and Maddie were the first to arrive again and they waited by their truck for their friends.

Taylor pulled up only a few minutes late with a wide smile on her face.

"Hey guys," she called as she opened her door. "Been waiting long?"

Manny smiled as Maddie hopped over to the car. Taylor was wearing a sundress and Manny noticed her feet dressed in high-heeled wedge sandals.

She caught him looking at her and said, "Oh, a leg man, huh?" She giggled as he flushed with embarrassment.

"No, we just got here ourselves," he said changing the subject from her perfect legs.

"Come on, Mommy!" Nicole shouted from the door of the entrance.

Manny chastised himself for not noticing the girls run off without him.

After the girls ate, Taylor said, "Come sit here."

Manny raised an eyebrow. He was sitting across from her in the booth.

She flinched and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound bossy. It's just if you sit next to me, we can watch the girls easier."

He smiled and agreed.

"I don't think you're bossy. Don't worry about it."

She smiled as she slid over to make room for him.

"Our girls have hit it off nicely, has Maddie come out of her shell a little?" Taylor asked.

"Other than with Nicole, no. I didn't expect anything at all, so if it takes a while I'm not concerned. I'm just glad she made one friend."

"Me too. I'll keep an eye on her at school. She's such a sweet kid, it breaks my heart that she's so isolated."

The girls walked up and Maddie said, "Daddy, can Nicole come over and play with Oliver?"

"That's up to Miss Winters."

Maddie looked at Taylor with a pout and the widest doe eyes she'd ever seen."

"Who's Oliver?" She asked.

"He's our cat. He fetches."

Taylor looked at Manny and he laughed.

"He really does," he said. "He has these little plush balls that he runs around the house with, waiting for someone to play with him."

She laughed and clapped her hands.

"Well, this I have to see," she said.

***

Oliver was a happy kitty as the girls had him chasing balls all over the house.

Taylor was snooping around looking at the pictures that were displayed while Manny got them some drinks.

She noticed that all of the pictures were of Manny and Maddie, some had Helen in them, but there were no pictures of Maddie's mother.

Manny walked in and saw her looking at Maddie's class picture. "That one's my favorite. She looks so happy."

Taylor smiled and said, "You're right. There's a brightness to her in that one. Her eyes seem to sparkle."

Manny frowned and said, "Helen said that she told her to think of her mom when she took the picture so she would have a big smile. It made me mad when she first told me that, but I quickly understood that she'll always love her mother."

Taylor was surprised at the vitriol in his voice but didn't press about it. She knew she'd bring it up another time.

"Nicole wait! You're doing it wrong." Maddie screamed as Oliver ran by with Nicole following.

"Whoa! Maddie, wait! What's going on?" Manny asked.

"She's not playing fetch right. She keeps taking it from him. He's supposed to bring it back."

"Well, teach her then, don't yell at her. Remember, you have to always be kind."

She pouted and walked away.

Taylor said, "That's actually a good sign. It's normal play behavior to have disagreements."

"Maybe, but she could still be nicer about it."

***

The following Sunday, Taylor called Manny.

"Manny, how about you and Maddie come over for dinner tonight?"

"Um, okay. What time?"

"Come over at four so the girls can play a bit before dinner."

"Sure, can I bring anything?"

"Just yourselves. I'm pairing the Dino nuggets and Mac and Cheese with apple juice, so I've got everything I need."

Manny laughed and said, "Okay. See you soon."

Taylor hoped Manny would get the hint and realize she was interested in him.

***

Manny and Taylor sat and talked while the girls played. Their conversation was light, and Taylor avoided asking him about his wife. She knew something had to have happened for him to not have any pictures of her in the house.

He wasn't showing any interest in her on a personal level and it was frustrating Taylor. She tried all of her old flirting tricks, but nothing worked. It was as if Manny was made of stone.

She suddenly remembered that he checked out her legs when she was getting out of the car. She decided to use her body and try to appeal to his eyes.

"Manny, excuse me but I'm feeling a bit warm in these jeans. I'll be right back."

"Okay," he said and watched her shapely butt as she walked away. He had no idea what she was doing after she walked away. He thought she'd turn the air-conditioning on to cool the house off. He didn't know she was tearing drawers apart looking for a certain pair of shorts.

She found what she was looking for and kicked off her jeans and socks and slid on the Daisy Duke shorts.

She checked herself in the mirror and was glad she shaved her legs that morning.

"If these shorts don't work, he's gay," she said to herself.

Manny almost spilled his water when he saw her walk back into the room. Her long legs were on display and he stiffened at the sight of her fire-engine red painted toenails. He felt perverse as he stared at her perfect arches.

She smiled noticing his stare. "Thank God!" She thought as she sat on the sofa across from him.

Manny spent the rest of the evening trying to avoid looking at her legs. He'd been a leg man since high school when his sexy math teacher Mrs. Robinson wore skirts and nylons every day.

She, of course, spent the rest of the evening crossing and uncrossing her legs, teasing him mercilessly. She thought he was going to lose it when she stretched out her legs and wiggled her toes.

She thought about asking him out directly, but she wanted him to make the first move. She was afraid it was too soon for him after the loss of his wife and he'd reject her. She didn't want to impact his daughter's budding friendship if he rejected her.

She was disappointed when at the end of the night he didn't ask her out or show any further interest in her.

***

After four weeks of success with their playdates, Taylor was lamenting not getting any closer to Manny. She decided to get Helen involved to up the stakes.

"Helen, I need to get Manny alone for a, well, for an adult play date."

Helen laughed and said, "Say no more. Propose a sleepover at his house for the girls and I'll show up to babysit so you can go out on your real date with him."

"Do you think he'll mind? I don't want him to get mad at me for setting him up."

"No, sweetie, he won't be mad. He's a man and you're a beautiful woman. You just be sure and show up ready to rock and I'll handle him."

"Okay. I hope this doesn't backfire. I'm really falling for him."

"Don't worry about a thing. As soon as he sees you all dolled up, he'll be putty in your hands."

***

Normally, Manny picked his daughter up from Helen's after work but that Friday, Helen made up an excuse and said she'd bring Maddie home. That would allow her to be already at Manny's when Taylor arrived to drop off Nicole.

As Manny and Helen chatted, the doorbell rang. Maddie ran to the door, excited to see her friend and let them in.

As Manny walked up to greet them, he was frozen at the sight of Taylor in a red skirt that ended about four inches above her knees. Her nude stockings shimmered in the light and Manny's breath was taken away by her four-inch heels.

She showed just enough cleavage to let Manny know that she had a perfect pair of breasts sheathed within the tight dress.

"Close your mouth, Manny, before you let the flies in," Helen said as she greeted Taylor.

Manny became saddened that Taylor was dressed for a date. He regretted that he never got a chance to ask her out before she found someone else.

"Um, you look really beautiful, Taylor."

"Thank you, kind sir. I expect you'll want to change clothes though."

Manny looked down at his work clothes and said, "Why?"

"I won't be seen in a restaurant with you in your dirty jeans and flannel shirt. Now scoot and take a shower, shave, and put on your best suit. You're taking me to Chicago Prime for dinner and then we're going to Venuti's for dancing and drinks."

Manny stared in shock. Helen turned him by his shoulders and smacked his butt. "Get moving. It's rude to make a lady wait."

He wordlessly walked away as the two women laughed. He heard Helen stage whisper, "Just as I thought, his butt is hard as a rock," and the ladies laughed louder.

As he showered, he realized that he'd been set up and he was fine with it. Taylor looked amazing, with her long curly red hair styled down and wearing the sexiest dress he'd ever seen.

As he shaved, he thought about Shannon and realized that he had no reason to hold back. She had betrayed him and he would've divorced her anyway. He had no reason to honor her memory.

As he dressed, he wondered if Taylor could be trusted, or would she turn out like Shannon and break his heart too. He decided to play it safe and slow with her.

"Jesus!" Taylor gasped as Manny walked down the stairs. "He looks like Antonio Banderas," she whispered to Helen. Helen nodded.

He was dressed sharply in a black suit with a bright white shirt. He wore no tie and the buttons were undone down to his chest. His curly black hair was slicked back and it glistened in the light of the room.

Helen, herself, was taken with her young son-in-law but knew she could never have him. She was glad to see Taylor have a chance. She knew he deserved another shot at happiness and she would help them any way she could.

"Jesus, Manny, you clean up well," Helen said as he glided into the room.

"Thanks, Helen. I trust you've got the girls under control?"

"You bet. Pizza, ice cream, and Cinderella, also known as little girl kryptonite."

They laughed and Manny led Taylor to his SUV by the hand.

***

As they drank their dessert coffee, Manny asked, "So what happened with Nicole's dad?"

"Ooh, pulling out the tough conversation on a first date. That's a bold move, Cotton."

Manny laughed.

"He was never in the picture. We were a couple for a few months in college. When he found out I was pregnant he took off. I get a check for child support every month and that's the end of the story."

Manny nodded and said, "I'm sorry to hear that. She's a wonderful child."

"Thank you. Since you opened the door, what happened to your wife. All I know is that she passed away."

Manny sighed. He didn't want to ever have that conversation again. Certainly not with a woman with whom he was on a first date. He'd never thought of a making up a cover story for a new woman in his life.