Soul of Evil

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Unnamed crass mouthed tart or no madam you certainly have walking down." his voice still holding amusement. Where the hell does she get off sauntering like she owns the place? "Perhaps while I offer you a drink you might be so gentile as to divulge your name, as you seem to be well aware of mine." He'd restrained the irritated urge to swat her on the backside with the book in his hand as she swished past him. Definitely not from this region. The females around here couldn't walk like that if I threatened to beat them into an orgasm. Not that any of them are worthy of that but still.

She settled into a chair crossing her legs and glanced at him, "I will have a red wine; something local." came the cool reply. "My name is Scythe, and, as I have said, I come on two fold business."

He watched her from the doorway, right up until she was settled, then gave a curt nod of his head, setting the book down on a small table as he passed it, heading toward the bar. "Then I bid you a good eve Scythe... interesting name..." Scythe huh.. named after a functional but peasant tool.

Interesting. Reaching the bar he set his own glass down, procured an elegantly cut wine glass and opened a bottle of wine with practiced ease. "You mentioned I believe, something regarding a guest of mine?" Turning with the filled glass in his hand, and picking up his own in the other he walked back to her with cat like grace. He offered the wine glass to her, its contents a rich, deep red, reflected in the partial lighting of the room. He could feel her eyes on his every move, watching perhaps even appraising. This didn't bother him, this was at least normal. He knew exactly what she saw, a tall, handsome man with hair that was as bright as a new copper penny, and emerald green eyes that could devour your soul, who moved with all the grace of a stalking predator. This is what most women saw when they looked at him. He knew, he'd investigated this quite thoroughly and used it unmercifully when targeting his meals. He had done this so often that it was his nature rather than any act.

She took the glass delicately, with a small nod of thanks, "Yes, a woman by the name of Tala Arkenlight, her last whereabouts puts her here, in your manor." Scythe replied evenly. Oh good gravy, must we dance around this social nice-nice crap?

He moved to sit in a chair across from her, quirking a brow at the mention of Tala's name. "And your interest in her would be?" his tone still quiet but his entire body language screamed of a cat suddenly alert and focused. He tended to react that way when his guests were sought out by people he didn't know.

Tala Arkenlight had indeed been staying with him briefly, as she had managed to track him down to this semi-remote town. The only reason he'd agreed to her invading was because the alternative was to have a very flighty blonde with a razor sharp mind camped on his doorstep with a large book and a green crayon in the hopes of ambushing him. Ambush followed by a steady stream of babbled questions regarding any contact with the rest of her family. As a guest he considered her under his personal protection. Just because she wasn't there at the moment didn't change that fact in his mind.

She took a slow sip of her wine and nodded in approval, "It seems you have good taste in wines. My interest, Viscount Bedlam, is this." She restrained a cold smirk as she stressed his title ever so slightly. With a wave of her hand a heavy leather bound book appeared in her lap, "My notes," her voice taking on a certain dark glee at that statement, "for her little book."

As he listened he took a slow sip of his own drink, "Thank you." Out of habit he ran his tongue over one fang. He'd done it for centuries, first as an exploratory sort of thing; as his fangs would never fully retract; and then later for the sheer effect of it. He eyed the book carefully, "Indeed. You are beating around the bush, Scythe. Who is Tala to you, and why would your notes be of interest to her?" his tone still quiet but growing sleekly intense. It was bad enough to have his quiet evening disrupted without having to dance around the mulberry bush to find things out. Normally he would have delighted in the game, but not this night for some reason. I think I see what set Phillips teeth on edge. Easy enough on the eyes but she's hard on the patience.

Scythe sighed softly, rolling her eyes. Could he be just a bit more tedious and tenacious about this thing? "I was hoping not to expound upon that however, I am her sister, and my notes would interest her in so far as they contain a written record of those that have met me. She is putting written accounts from others into the book on our family's history and it's that time of decade or so when I hand her mine, as most of the ones that encounter me don't live long enough for her to get around to interviewing."

Nick's brow quirked, even as he set his glass aside, stood and walked over to in front of her. Tala has a sister? he thought as he approached Scythe, If she hadn't said anything I wouldn't have guessed. She's good. "One would never know; unless one chose to look past the surface that is; that you two were even remotely related." he commented urbanely as he held his hand out, "Might I?" His voice revealing little as he eyed the book with something between caution and curiosity. While his curiosity was peaked by Scythe's hints about the book's contents, he was still cautious. He hadn't always been, and it had had some rather disturbing consequences. There were books that his former bond-mate Tabarvis had that he'd made the mistake of perusing, briefly, and the memory of the contents of some of them still made him shudder. He wouldn't consider himself squeamish by any stretch of the imagination; however there are some things that you don't want to read.

Scythe's eyes gleamed with a wicked delight at his request. "Yes, I take measures to ensure we look very little alike. There was a problem when we were identical." Mostly that people seemed to confuse us and Tala isn't capable of what I am in some realms. She handed the book to him with a widening smile, "Of course, it's only notes and a few bits of data on some subjects, but you are more than welcome to look it over," Her tone almost nonchalant as she took another sip of her wine, "although some would find its contents disturbing." And now we come to the part where he looks at the first page and recoils in horror!

Nick took the book easily, balancing it in one hand while opening it with the other. Whatever else this book contained, he doubted it would give him the cold shudders. It just didn't have the right feel to it. "Don't judge a book by its cover Scythe, as they aren't always what they seem." he commented almost blandly with a dark sort of chuckle, even as he began to skim the contents, the last words of many men and women, as well as a few well documented accounts of her experiments on them. Her documentation is really rather good, he thought letting his eyes dance over her words. Illustrated too? My, my, Scythe, you are definitely more than what you seem.

"Oh really?" she said as a brow cocked slowly, as she took another sip of her wine. That he hadn't shut the book almost instantly or recoiled in horror from what he read within actually almost impressed her. Well, well, could it be that he's actually not afraid? Scythe had come to expect over the years varied reactions from those that glimpsed her notes, including from her own family, ranging from mild disgust to outright horror and revulsion.

He scanned the pages for a moment longer as another sardonic smile twisted his lips. Who would have thought an Arkenlight could be so deliciously nasty? he thought as he calmly shut the book and handed it back to her, "Not exactly light bedtime reading now is it?" Except for me maybe. Tala will have nightmares I suspect.

She took the book with a wicked smile before setting it in her lap. That's the understatement of the year, she thought. "Not really no, but then again it's all in the eye of the beholder, now isn't it?" she replied before she drained her glass and set it and the book on the table beside her. "That is the business I have with my sister. Pleasant, no?"

He gave an almost roll of his eyes as he returned to his chair picking up the brandy snifter once more and taking a sip. "Indeed it is all in the eyes of the beholder." He idly tapped his nails on the glass, setting it to chiming softly, as he considered everything thus far. This Scythe woman wasn't nearly as bad as what his Chamberlain had implied, this was becoming rapidly obvious. Arkenlights aren't Bedlams, ergo despite the content of the notes, Tala was safe enough from physical harm. "It would seem that you mean no harm to Tala and though I doubt the notes are her sort of reading, I see no great harm in getting them to her." he conceded giving a slight shrug of one shoulder and taking another sip.

"Of course I mean her no harm, even if I did I wouldn't have gotten this far. Now then, as far as business with you...wait...Is she not here?" His last words finally registering. Oh my god! Tala you scattered brained ninny! Can't you stay put for a week so I don't have to hunt your annoying blonde ass down?

Nick offered an urbane smile as he replied, "Alas she is not at the moment, but has once more taken off to go play with my chyld and his," he cleared his throat softly, "companions." His sole creation, Dimitrius had stayed with him for many years until he'd learned of his own heritage and gone to claim it. With both a wife and a mistress now he had his hands full, but when they'd met Tala while visiting, they'd invited the flightiest of the Arkenlights to come visit them at their home in the Carpathius mountains to the north.

Scythe cursed under her breath. This was one thing she hadn't counted on was for her sister to not be in the one place she'd finally tracked her down to, "And I must be the one handing it over to her to keep things authentic. You understand I'm sure." Lovely, just lovely. Well bother, then it'll wait a while longer. At least books don't just take off to go do whatever. If she couldn't hand her notes to Tala, then maybe the rest of her errand wouldn't be in vain, so she plunged on, "Now to my other business, it has come to my attention that there are certain books in your possession of a dark nature. I would know what it would require to transfer ownership of them to me."

Nick hated being caught off guard, so his mood shifted almost instantly from mildly cordial to almost frigid even before Scythe had finished. I knew there had to be a catch. I should have guessed from her bloody notes that she'd want those books. She must think I'm some sort of an idiot if she thinks I'd turn one of the darkest collection's of necromancy and demonology tomes over to an Arkenlight! He fixed her with an unblinking and cold gaze, his voice matching his look, "As those particular books were purchased and created with the souls of far too many innocents and blood, I don't think you can afford them." allowing himself a partial bleak smile as he continued, "Besides which, they are not for sale."

He wasn't exaggerating much in his assessment of what those particular books had truly cost; if anything he'd been understating the matter. He didn't waste a thought as to how she'd come by the knowledge of his ownership of them. While it wasn't common knowledge, those who traveled in certain circles would always be able to locate books of this nature and the persons that owned them. This wasn't the first offer to be made to him, but he would handle it the same way as any other, flat refusal. Besides, they'd been given into his safe keeping by Dimitri years before. Safekeeping meant just that; safe.

She licked her lips slowly in a building frustration, matching his look with her own deathly stare. This definitely wasn't what she had expected and coming on the heels of being thwarted in her first task, did absolutely nothing to improve her disposition, "Then, I would study them, for contained in them are things vital for my research, and it has nothing to do with conjuring daemons or raising the dead." she countered, fighting to not grit her teeth. Could this man be any more aggravating?

"Research?" his tone sharpening. He was not particularly fazed by her look, but in fact was, in some deep part of him, impressed with her ballsiness. It has been a long time since anyone; any woman; has dared to actually stand up to me when I'm irritated, he thought with a wry grudging admiration. "The study of those books would take several life-times Scythe and frankly, I'm not sure that I would care to have you as a house guest for that long." He retorted flatly. Because even if I did agree those books don't leave this house.

She sighed heavily letting some of her frustration out, and fixed him with a level look. "I am not into bargaining, however, I would know then what would it take to gain access to the pages I need and those pages alone?" rapping her nails on the arm of the chair, much like an agitated cat would twitch its tail.

He took a deep silent breath, unsure for a moment whether to blow up at this stubborn woman or just give in. He was inclined toward an explosion. He'd been having a delightfully quiet evening until she'd invaded his house. Never mind that he could have told Phillip to drive her off instead of inviting her in. "I'm not sure. Give me a few hundred years to think about it." That should put an end to this foolishness, he thought as his eyes fell on her tapping nails. "That's a good way to chip them, you know." He gave himself a mental swat at how completely inane that last comment was and frankly wasn't even sure why he said it. Had he looked deep enough in himself though he would have seen that he echoed words from centuries before, when he was very young, from the creature that had sired him, as he had then, and still had, the same habit of tapping his nails when irritated or thinking.

She quirked a tiny smile at his comment, her eyes dancing. "I am afraid that I do not have a few hundred years to think about. Well in that sense that I am like the rest of my family for the most part free from the chains of death, I need those pages for a few tests. I can offer you and in fact will offer you anything and everything at my disposal." Her lips curled as she spat out the last word, "Please."

He gave a mental sigh, Now her resemblance to Tala shows itself in the long winded almost babble. "Though your pathetic attempt at real manners is a marked step forward, and the information about you intriguing indeed, I fear my answer remains. I can not think of a single thing that you could possibly offer me that would convince me to release those books." Recalling the brandy snifter in his hand, he drained it in a single smooth motion, setting the empty glass on the small table beside him, then took up the seeming idle study of his own nails. Let her chew on that for a while, he thought.

Scythe sighed and rubbed her eyes. This was a bit more then she'd bargained for, and she'd been outmaneuvered. "Very well, if you will not even allow me access to the pages I need then how about a trade of some sort? You see, those pages are extremely vital. How about this idea; give it a few days. We can get to know one another better, then perhaps you'll see that I mean no real harm with those pages, for the most part. They are for a few experiments on subjects I already have and could prove quite useful to our family."

"And in the event that I am still not convinced you'll drop the subject?" he replied, glancing up from his nails.

"Mmmmm...," she pondered it briefly before nodding curtly. "If it would give me the slightest of chances, yes." Half a loaf was better then none at this point. She despised having to bargain like this for the information, but she also really wanted that knowledge.

"Very well then, one week. You have one week to convince me Scythe and if at the end of that week I am still not convinced, you'll take yourself from these premises and not return, for any reason. Deal?"

She nodded again "Deal."

"Good." he gave a curt nod. "Would you like a refill?" Changing tone and subject all in one smooth move, flicking a glance at her empty glass. He'd won that round and that was what he'd wanted. Suffering with this stubborn woman for a single week was worth the security of not letting those books or their contents become available. Oh yes, he'd already made up his mind that at the end of a week she wouldn't convince him.

"Please that would be lovely. You must tell me where this wine is made, I would purchase some for my reserves."

He flowed to his feet to retrieve her glass, chuckling, "It's local, in fact my chyld is the producer of it. His prices are- well some have called them outrageous and obscene, but I think it's a fair price for the quality." He moved to refill her glass.

"There's nothing wrong with paying for the best." she said with a smooth shrug.

"To hear the folks around here howl you'd think he was charging in blood..," he gave a soft laugh as he returned with the filled glass and offered it to her.

She laughed softly as well, though dark inflections rang in it. "Well, it has been shown that mortals can be rather unpleasant for the most part when it comes to prices." She took the glass with a nod, "Thank you again. You are a gracious host indeed."

He gave a slight bow, "I do so try." Amusement laced his voice as he cocked his head slightly, not moving from in front of her. "Actually I've found that this area is more prone to what I call "penny pinching affluence" than other regions. Money, most have here... but spend it on something other then balls or baubles or stocks and bah! They howl like new-born babes." His amusement changed to a mild disgust. Even though he'd been in this region for many years, he never got over just how cheap the local nobility was. Now that things had been settled, he'd relaxed a bit. It was rare enough to be able to have a conversation with an intelligent person, much less a woman, that he drank it up like ambrosia. Even without trying Nickodemus Bedlam oozed charm and wit. At the moment it practically gushed from him.

Such a delightful visual he'd invoked. A rare delicate laugh rang from her mouth. It wasn't hard for her at all to envision local nobility in swaddling cloths, wailing and howling. "Indeed? Well, it seems that even, nay especially, the rich are prone. Why have money if you do not spend it on the best, that is why one gets money, in an effort to show one's own power and status with the throwing around of money...sadly it does seem that those with it do not spend it as freely as they once did." She gave another shrug as she took a sip from her glass.

Nick watched her, a half smile forming at the sound of her laugh. It had been longer than he realized since a laugh of that caliber had graced his ears, and it felt, well, good. "Perhaps so," he replied. "I suspect it is from fear, fear that they will spend it and not be able to acquire more. A silly fear, but palatable enough until something better arises." Had he meant to let that little tidbit slip out? Probably not and something in him was relieved that Scythe, for all her quickness, didn't pick up on it. Due to his original nature before he was created, he fed on more than just blood. It added variety, but also made him far more dangerous then your garden variety vampire. Emotions, especially the negative ones such as fear, were as much a source of sustenance as blood.

"Indeed, fear is a powerful motivator, even in the region I make my home, they are loath to spend aside from the large amounts of parties and balls, which are generally nice, but it gets tiresome after a bit. And there is nothing to be done about it, sadly." she replied as she took another sip of her wine savoring the flavor, while smiling at him above the rim of the glass, "So tell me, what is someone so urbane and obviously sophisticated doing in these parts?" Scythe was now intrigued by this man. Dark yet charming, certainly not what you would expect in a semi-backwater city such as this one.