Southern Circle - Pt. 02

Story Info
Tim returns home to his family, trouble awaits.
27.8k words
4.64
7.5k
18

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 04/14/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello everyone! Here is the second part of my Southern Circle series. It's a little longer than I anticipated because I originally planned for it to be part two and most of three of the saga, but decided that it flowed better as a single installment. Going forward most should be somewhere around the size that part one was. Speaking of which if you haven't read the first part I encourage you do so before reading this segment, including the advisory at the beginning.

Just a few more things - the way some characters speak is not meant to be offensive to any group of people, it's just the way I and those I'm close with talk with each other in casual settings. Also, there are references to historical events and places in this piece and while I do research to be accurate about certain details, I also take liberties for the sake of the story I am telling. Bottom line, don't be surprised or outraged to find a mingling of fact and fiction in my work.

As always ratings, comments and constructive feedback of all kinds are welcome, and I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone who read and responded so positively to part one of this tale. Thanks, and enjoy the story!

*

Night crept over the woods along the outskirts of the small Southern town of Oran's Glen where a young woman with long wild hair plunging down past her waist stood with her arms wrapped around a tree, her clothes laying in a discarded pile nearby. Her eyes were closed, lips curled in a sinister smile as she ran her hands up and down the strangely smooth bark as she pressed her body tightly against the bizarre denizen of the forest, which stood in a large clearing bereft of any other form of life. Even the trees ringing the space looking sick, stunted, and weak. "He is back, master," she whispered, "just as we planned."

"Excellent," a voice rang out, not from the tree but from the very air, as if from speakers concealed in the woods all around her. "And you're certain that this Tim O'Connor is the one the Order has selected?"

"I hope so," the woman said, enjoying the sensation of her breasts pushing and rubbing against the tree. "I'd hate to think I 'questioned' that Order member and then ruined that poor boy's life to get him back home for nothing," she said in a satisfied tone that implied she really wouldn't be that remorseful if her efforts had born no tangible fruit, that the pain and suffering she'd caused had been reason enough. "Shall I make a move on him?"

"Not yet," the voice replied, thoughtful. "We've been deceived before, and it cost us dearly. We must be absolutely certain. Besides that, there's also the issue of the Elders being nearby, but that fool you caught couldn't or wouldn't tell us who or where they are. If we can find out the identities they've assumed, we could deal the Order a severe blow and make our goals much easier to realize. So here's what I want you to do, my faithful one..."

*

Tim's car rumbled down the gravel road that connected the highway to his aunt's house, formerly the O'Connor farmstead, just as the last light was fleeing the evening sky, the wide fields on either side that his aunt now leased out filled with rows of half-high corn, silhouetted black against the dim and retreating orange on the horizon. A raccoon that had been sitting in the road appraising the future glorious bounty around him chittered and darted for cover as the Camaro approached, causing Tim to smile. Elsewhere the world might be changing every time you blink, but the rustic atmosphere that pervaded his hometown seemed to have sunken its roots deep, refusing to budge or shift an inch.

At last he pulled into the paved driveway leading up to the O'Connor residence itself. Starting out as a simple one-story over a century and a half ago, it had grown and morphed over the years to meet the growing and shifting needs of its inhabitants. It now stood as a two-story farmhouse covered in lime-green clapboard with a long porch that stretched all along the front of the dwelling, the azaleas that their aunt prized so much hugging the base in an unbroken, colorful ring that encircled the structure. Massive and majestic twin white oak trees, planted when the house was built, stood side by side in the front yard like ancient sentries.

Tim pulled around to the side of the house and parked in front of the closed garage, not seeing any other vehicles. He got out and looked in the garage, which was also empty. None of the lights, not even the front porch, were on. Everyone must be out. Odd, he'd told his aunt and Teagen he'd be getting back this evening, so it seemed like they would have at least left the outside lights on for him. He checked his phone, making sure he hadn't missed any messages, but there was nothing.

Oh well, he thought, shrugging to himself as he grabbed his bags and headed toward the front door, using the flashlight on his phone to see. He wasn't sure what had happened, but at least this way he'd be able to get in, grab a bite, and hopefully be in bed before anyone got back, putting off any embarrassing explanations about the debacle with Tabitha and school until tomorrow after he'd rested. Maybe his aunt had even planned it that way, bless her.

He made his way up the porch stairs and opened the screen door, the droning of cicadas heavy in the humid air as he flipped through his keys until he found the one for the house, opening the door and stepping into the living room. Tim winced as the screen door banged shut behind him, meaning to slow it with his elbow but missing. Doesn't matter anyway, he thought to himself as he plopped down his luggage beside the door, since I'm the only one here, who's it gonna bother?

As he fumbled for the switch, he heard a click from the other side of the room as the room flooded with light, revealing a figure standing in the doorway across from him. It was young woman with hair done up in pig tails tumbling down her shoulders, green eyes, and tanned skin that spoke of long hours spent outdoors. She was clad in a sleeveless plaid button-down tied up in a knot to expose her flat midriff and jean shorts that showed off bare legs ending in short pink socks. But what Tim noticed most about her was her incredible pearly grin, which probably could have lit the room up without need for the overheads.

Teagen, his little sister.

"Tim!" she cried out as she rushed over and flung her arms around him. Even though she was much smaller in both height and frame than her brother, the force of her enthusiastic impact still managed to force him back against the door. "It's so good to see you!" she exclaimed, burying her face in his shoulder. "I've missed you so much!"

Tim recovered from the collision enough to put his arms around his baby sister, even though she wasn't really a baby anymore, unable to hold back a smile at her energetic greeting, catching a whiff of that jasmine and vanilla perfume of hers that he loved so much. "I missed you too, little Teacup," he said, calling her by the nickname he'd given her when they were kids, forcing that image of her atop him at the inn out of his mind, calling on every ounce of his willpower to push it away. What is wrong with me? He thought to himself.

She looked up at him, brushing back one of her ponytails as hurt and joy vied for control of her expression. "Then why did you stay gone for so long?" she pouted. "I swear, Tim, you haven't been home since Christmas, and that was only for a few days," she pouted. "That's like, five whole months! Do you realize how much it's sucked here without you here to talk to? Especially now that Riley's back home moping around and whining to me about her ex all the time and how all men are scum, but I always make her exclude you from that list," she added with a wink.

"Thanks," Tim said, chuckling, remembering how his little sis had always stuck up for him, and vice versa. Poor Riley, he thought. A few months ago she'd had some terrible row with the man she'd been living with named Bo and he'd kicked her out, another in a long line of failed relationships. It'd been a shock to Tim, encouraged that she'd lasted longer with Bo than the others, Riley insinuating that they were practically engaged. But I'm one to talk, Tim thought bitterly, remembering how happy his circumstances had been a month ago before life had dropped its britches and taken a big crap over them.

"Don't worry, I'll let her unload on me if she needs to, and take some of the pressure off you," Tim said. After all, I'll have plenty of time on my hands, he thought bitterly. "I've been through something similar, so I can relate."

Teagen nodded. "Oh yeah, the whole Tabitha thing. What happened exactly? You've been pretty vague about the whole thing. Do you wanna talk about it?" she asked, genuine concern in her voice.

He smiled wanly. "Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but not right now. It's not you, it's just that it's still too raw, if you know what I mean," he said, trying to think of a way to get off this depressing road. "By the way, what're you doing here, Teacup? The lights were all off and all the cars were gone, so I assumed no one was home. Were you sittin' in here in the dark or somethin'?"

Teagen flicked her face away from him, looking embarrassed. "Well, uh, my friend Nia borrowed my truck to haul some lumber, and I was in my room waiting for you and to pass the time I started meditating, and totally forgot to turn on any of the lights like I was s'posed to, then I heard the front door and remembered you were due back this evening. I'm real sorry, I guess I goofed."

He shook his head. "Don't worry 'bout it. So, meditating, huh? Still doing that New Age stuff with Aunt C?"

"I keep telling ya bro, it's not new, our ancestors were doing it long before St. Patrick showed up," Teagen insisted with mock indignation as she poked him in the chest. "It's just been outta fashion, is all."

Tim laughed. "Alright, I stand corrected. But seriously, Teag, I'm glad you and Aunt C have something to bond over, and that it has so much meaning for you."

That trademark grin returned. "Thanks Tim, you're always so understandin', unlike some of the others around here." But then suddenly she let out a yelp, slapping her arms against her sides. "Where are my manners? Here you are been travelling all day and I'm making you stand here jawing your head off without offerin' you any refreshment. Auntie Caitlyn would slap me silly if she knew! Come on in to the dining room and I'll get you some tea, I made it fresh this afternoon," she said, taking his hand and practically dragging him through the kitchen and into the dining room, sitting him down while she went back to the kitchen.

"Wouldja like me to throw your favorite sandwich together for ya?" Teagen called out from the kitchen, "I got all the stuff right here."

Tim didn't want to put her to any more trouble, but it'd been so long since he'd had one of her handmade sandwiches, and he was hungry. "I'd love one, thanks."

He heard her humming as she went about fixing his snack. It made him smile; he'd forgotten how much he'd missed the sound of it. "So, did ya have a good trip home?" she asked from the kitchen. "Anything interestin' happen?"

His mind immediately went to Fiona and Aiden, but between the inappropriate and the unbelievable occurrences at their inn there wasn't much he felt comfortable relating to his little sister, so he decided to just stay quiet about it for now. "Oh, you know, long and tedious as usual," he said.

Soon she reappeared with a tray bearing his sandwich and two cups of sweet iced tea. He accepted one of the cups and the sandwich gratefully, taking a sip of the tea, the cool, sweet liquid with a hint of lemon feeling good going down his parched throat. "Delicious," he said, taking another sip. "No one makes sweet tea like you, Teacup."

She smiled at the praise as she sat down beside him. "Now, please, eat, I know you must be hungry."

Tim took a bite of the sandwich, savoring the flavor. It was just ham and Swiss with lettuce, chopped red onion, and a dab of mustard, but for some reason when Teagen made them they always tasted better than when he or anyone else did. "You've still got the magic touch," he praised her as he swallowed, washing it down with another swig of tea.

She giggled. "It's all in the technique," she said, drinking her tea.

"So where is everyone?" he asked before taking another bite, suddenly realizing how hungry he was.

"Oh, well, Riley's down at the Rebel Yell, drowning her sorrows in alcohol and no doubt subjecting the poor bartender to a slurred tirade about her ex, and Aunt C's down at the community center helpin' get it ready for a party tomorrow for the Calhouns with some of the stuff from her store. They're celebrating their fiftieth wedding anniversary. By the way that reminds me, she asked me to ask you to pick her up at nine, since her car is in the shop."

"No prob," Tim asked, wiping his chin on a napkin and glancing at the clock, seeing he still had some time. "But that's incredible about the Calhouns, to have a love so strong that it endures five decades, and is still kicking after all these years. But they're from a different time, when love and commitment meant something. I doubt anyone getting married today is likely to make it to their tenth, let alone their fiftieth."

Teagen put her glass down on the table with a thud so hard some of her tea sloshed out, glaring at him. "You're wrong, Tim," Teagen insisted a tad forcefully, "providin' you find the right person, then love can last forever no matter what the world's saying at the time. Don't let one stupid bitch dispel you of that notion."

Tim smirked, amused by her reaction. "Well, well, it seems like you have pretty well-developed views on the matter. Could it be that my little sis has found the person she's going to love into eternity?" he asked, rubbing at his chin as if figuring out something. "And could this mystery man be the one you were 'meditating' on when I arrived, that had you so distracted you couldn't turn on the lights for your poor brother?"

Teagen flushed so red she made a beet look anemic, momentarily struck dumb by his words and couldn't speak for a few seconds. "I...Th...That's...not it at all," she finally stammered in protest, staring at her lap as if it held the most fascinating thing in the world at that moment. "I...I... just would hate to see you givin' up on account of one bad experience, is all."

Tim cursed himself. Teagen's love life had always been one topic she'd always been sensitive about sharing, and now he'd gone and embarrassed her when she was just trying to be encouraging. "I'm sorry, Teag," he said quickly, "you were just tryin' to help, and I had to go be an ass," he said, reaching out and taking her hand. "Please, forgive your stupid brother? I'll let you spray me down with the hose tomorrow if you want. I'll even do the idiot dance while you're dousing me."

She laughed at his suggestion, remembering what he'd let her do when they were kids and he'd done something to upset her. "It's forgotten, you big doofus," she said, slapping his shoulder playfully. "Besides, how can I stay mad at you, now that you're spending the whole summer here? It's going to be amazin'! Just you and me hanging out like old times!"

Tim nodded, not really feeling like having fun, thinking he might see if he could just hang out with Riley and cry with her into beer mugs for a few weeks, but he didn't want to dampen Teagen's spirits now that they were back up. "Yup, whatever you're up for, Teacup, count me in. Just bear in mind my cash flow is a little...restricted at the moment."

She pffted as she waved her hand, dismissing his concerns. "Oh, don't worry none about that, there's plenty to do around here that doesn't require a lot of cash, like fishing, hiking, going to Summer Fest around the fourth and watching the fireworks. Besides, I have a nice little stash stored up from workin' down at the shop with Aunt C, so I've got ya covered," she said, winking and nudging him in the elbow.

Tim frowned. "But isn't that money you were saving for college in the fall? Isn't that why you took a year off after high school in the first place?"

Teagen shifted in her seat. "Can I tell ya a secret, Tim? I haven't told anyone else about this yet, so you have to keep this to yourself, and I'm invoking the Oakwood Oath on this one."

Inwardly, Tim smiled, the Oakwood Oath was something they'd come up with in their younger days to assure that when one told the other a secret, there would be no blabbing on pain of severe consequences, whereupon they'd both place their hands on one of the trees out in front to seal it. "Alright, I swear," he said. "So what's up?"

"Well...I think I've talked myself out of college, at least for the time being. Now before you start with your protesting and all that, hear me out. This isn't some spur of the moment thing, I've been thinkin' on this for months now. I really like workin' down at the shop helpin' Aunt C with the tech and online side of the business, as well as helping improve the layout and design of the store. Besides, she says I've got a real knack for the trade, 'specially now that she's expanding into the space next door and all that."

"So, what about your art?" he asked, "Surely you're not giving up on that? You've got too much talent, Teag."

She shook her head vigorously, making her auburn pigtails whip around so hard they nearly hit him in the face. "Oh, no, in fact that's one of the reasons I like the shop, it still leaves me plenty of time for drawin' and paintn,', not to mention I'm taking a few courses at the nearby community college this fall. And besides, I just don't feel that going off to a university somewhere is the best thing for me, what with all the stuff I hear happening around campuses these days. Even if the shop thing doesn't work out in the end, I want to be free to be creative in my own way, without anyone breathing down my back 'bout how to do it.

"And besides all that," she added, "There's somethin' powerful is telling me to stick close to home right now, like it's somehow important that I do. Do ya get what I'm saying, brother, am I making sense?" she asked, biting her lip, looking a bit nervous at what his reaction would be.

Tim smiled, tapping his fingers on his tea glass. "Strangely enough, I do." He didn't say it, but he'd felt the tug of home after the disaster his life had become. He'd considered taking a road trip, or moving in with a buddy and hunting for a job. But then something had niggled at him, like a soft string wrapped around his heart and pulling him back here. But he decided against telling Teagen that, concluding it was just his frayed emotions and insecurities talking, that he was just running home like a scared child would after being bullied on the playground.

"College isn't for everyone, Teag," he continued, "and there are many paths to success without it, especially for someone as determined and talented as you. Life is too short to waste on things we're not passionate about. So, if this is the path you've chosen freely and you're happy with it, then you have my complete support and blessing."

"Really? Oh, thanks a bunch, Tim!" Teagen said, the tenseness fleeing her body as she gave him a smaller and more manageable version of the embrace she'd given him earlier. "I knew if anyone would understand, it'd be you. You've always been the one who's gotten me best. And if my big smart brother agrees, then I know I must be on the right track."

He patted her back and broke away from her, looking at her with a solemn expression. He hadn't planned to get into this with anyone tonight, if ever. But now, in this moment, it seemed the right thing to do, he thought. He couldn't let his sister go on believing a lie. He let out a heavy sigh. "You shouldn't place such a high value on my opinion, Teag, because I'm not as smart as you think I am, and the way things are going I may not even graduate college."

123456...8