Southern Comfort Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was flattered that he not only remembered me, but also took the time to send them to my work. I set them on the bar back and sniffed at them. I would have to call him later to thank him, I thought to myself.

The lunch crowd came and went, and it was mid-afternoon when I was left completely alone in the bar. I began cutting up fruit to stock for the night shift when I heard the door open. I glanced up and found Nick accompanied by two men entering the bar. One was the same man who had been at his side the previous evening. I wondered if he went anywhere without him. They took a table near the fireplace in the main bar.

When I approached the table, he looked at me and said, "Hi." No smile, no explanation, no salutation other than one simple word.

"Hi, yourself! What in the world are you doing here?" I asked cheerfully.

"Cindy, my associates. Gentlemen, Cindy," he said without actually making any introductions at all. I mumbled a hello and both men nodded at me. "I see the flowers came," Nick said.

"Yes, and they're lovely. I was going to call you later to thank you," I replied, feeling a bit uneasy. He was staring and I didn't know quite what to say. At the same time he was staring, his associates wouldn't even look at me.

"I would like to have a word with you alone," he said. There was no 'please' and he didn't phrase it as a request. His friends seemed to be ignoring us entirely.

"Well, alright. I can't leave the bar, but we could go there," I said nodding to the table just inside the band room. He glanced at it and then at me. He nodded.

"Let me get you and your friends something to drink first," I suggested. "What would you like, gentlemen? We have an excellent cognac," I suggested looking from one to the other.

"Bourbon and coke. Two," one of them answered. He barely glanced at me when he said it and I caught just a hint of something in his eyes. Disapproval? Perhaps, it was resentment for being dragged along on a personal matter. I wasn't sure.

"That's fine. Make it three," Nick said waving off any decision on his part.

"Anything else? Something to eat?" I asked wiping the table again. The man moved his elbows out of my way and frowned at me. He shook his head silently and cleared his throat, looking away quickly.

I hurried to go make their drinks. Nick had already made me slightly nervous by staring at me. Nick had a way of concealing his thoughts. That made me second-guess his intentions. It was the not knowing his intentions that made me nervous. I returned with their order and I set the drinks off my tray, placing them in front of his companions.

"Will you excuse us?" Nick asked as a formality when he stood up. The two men nodded.

Nick followed me to the table in the next room. He pulled out my chair and waited until I was seated to join me. He was quiet for a moment until I finally felt obligated to ask, "Nick, was there some reason you wanted to talk to me?"

"You said you liked the flowers," he stated. "I wasn't quite sure what to send, so I had someone else make the choice."

"His choice was perfect. They're beautiful," I repeated. "You didn't come here about flowers," I said. He looked slightly uncomfortable or unsure of himself for just a second. His composure quickly returned.

"No, I came to see you. I wanted to see where you work."

"Oh. Well," I said looking around me, "This is it!" I laughed just a little when I added, "It's not much but it's mine."

He nodded and looked around as well. "It's nice," he affirmed. He was staring again and I looked down. "You're much shyer than you were last night," he commented. "You seem uncomfortable."

"A little," I admitted.

"Why?" he asked, tilting his head at me.

"Because, you're staring," I said with a nervous laugh.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," he apologized. "I guess it wouldn't be very original of me to tell you how beautiful you are?" he asked. I didn't answer, but I gave him a slight smile and averted my eyes with embarrassment instead.

"You look French to me. But, then you have those lovely green eyes. So alluring," he said softly. "Are you by any chance Creole?" he asked.

"No, Nick. Not that I know anything about," I said.

"You are right. I didn't come here about flowers. I didn't come here to offer you a job, or ask what your background is," he said flatly. "Will you have dinner with me?" he asked.

"Tonight?"

"Yes," he nodded. I was about to explain I had prior plans when the door opened and in walked Bob.

"I'm sorry. Will you excuse me a moment, Nick?" I asked standing up. He nodded and I went to the bar.

"Hi, Bob!" I said brightly as I placed a cocktail napkin on the bar in front of him. He didn't look happy. . "Hi. Scotch and soda," he said, glancing in the mirror at the backs of the two men seated behind him. He cleared his throat and turned sideways on his stool, looking casually in the direction of Nick. "It's quiet in here," he commented.

"Calm before the storm," I said, setting his drink in front of him.

"Have you got a minute?" he asked.

"You'll have to take a number," I teased. "I was talking to someone when you came in. I'll be back in a couple of minutes though, if you'd care to wait."

"I'll be here," he nodded and frowned.

I went back to the table I was sharing with Nick. "I'm sorry about that," I said as he stood up. I sat back down and he seated himself again. "Where were we?" I asked.

"You were about to accept my invitation to dinner," he said.

"I'm sorry, Nick. I can't tonight. I already have plans," I explained.

"You could change your plans," he suggested.

"Nick, that wouldn't be polite," I scolded him gently. "You wouldn't like it if I did that to you, now would you?" I asked.

"You're absolutely right. I wouldn't like that at all. Not much more than I like being turned down," he said calmly.

"I didn't say 'no'. I said,not tonight," I corrected him. "You're not used to people telling you no, are you? Even if they have a good reason," I asked.

He stared at me and played with the corner of his napkin. When he didn't answer me, I went on. "I'm sorry, Nick. Perhaps we could make plans for another night."

"I had plans. For tonight," he pointed out. He tone sounded only slightly ominous and he was staring at me again.

"Yes, but you didn't askme before you made them," I countered.

"I hadn't anticipated that you would say no," he answered.

"What did you anticipate?" I asked. I knew he was deliberately trying to be difficult. He didn't answer. "Nick, coming in here making demands isn't exactly the best way to persuade me to go out with you."

"What has Sonny told you about me?" he asked abruptly.

"That you are an old friend of his. A businessman. Why?" I asked.

"Did he tell you..." he began.

"He didn't have to," I cut him off.

"And, that's what bothers you," he said with a frown.

"No. It has nothing to do with my turning down your invitation to dinner tonight. Or with my accepting it," I added. "I told you that I have previous plans. I'm not going to change them, or rearrange them," I said firmly.

"You're obviously very stubborn," he said. This time his tone sounded as if he found something amusing about his observation.

"I can be. I don't like to be that way, but sometimes people can go too far," I said.

"You feel I've gone too far," he said with an edge of irritation.

"Just a little. You seem to be accustomed to having your own way," I said. He cut his eyes at me. "I am, too. It could make for an interesting clash of personalities."

He let out a long breath and sat back. "I told you the other night that I appreciated your honesty. I still do. Not many people would have the strength of character to refuse my invitation. I accept rejection more gracefully when it comes from a beautiful woman."

"Nick, if we are going to get along, I think you should know something about me," I said. He tilted his head still listening. "I'm not impressed by designer clothes, fast cars, large homes, or platinum credit cards. I don't like being coerced, threatened or bullied into anything. Those things are not attractive to me."

"What does impress you?" he asked.

"A man who is confident without being obvious about it," I said. He sat staring, mutely for a moment.

"Nick, I have a job to do here. I hope you won't think I'm being rude, but I have to get back to it now, if you'll excuse me. And, I want to thank you for the flowers again. It was thoughtful of you to remember me," I said, making an effort to push back my chair.

He reached out and placed his hand over mine. "You said we could make it another night. When?" he asked.

"Call me tomorrow if you like. I'm sure you have the number here," I said. He let go of my hand.

"You're home phone is unlisted," he noted.

"Yes, I know. It's unlisted for a reason, Nick. I've already told you, I have a family," I replied firmly.

He looked at me with an odd expression. Then he glanced across the room and nodded once. One of his two associates crossed to the table and pulled out the chair for me. I stood up slowly. For the briefest moment, I felt cornered between the two of them before Nick said, "I like you, Cindy. I hope you will consider us friends at least."

I looked hesitantly from him to his shadow. "Of course. You're a friend of Jon's. I'd like very much if we could be friends as well," I said with a nod.

"Good. Then here's my card." He extended a business card which I took from him. "Should you ever need anything, you can reach me at that number. I hope you will use it. Anything at all, okay?" he asked. I nodded again and tucked the card in my pocket.

He spoke to his associate in a foreign language and the man produced another card, offering it to me with a stoic expression. "Or, you can call Antonio, if you prefer," Nick assured me. I took the proffered card from him as he cleared his throat and looked away. I turned the card over in my hand and studied it a moment.

"Thank you for coming to see me, Nick. The drinks are on me, of course." I said as I turned away. I went back to the bar. A moment later, Nick and his associates left. When I cleared away the glasses from their table, I found a fifty-dollar bill with a full drink sitting on top of it.

"Okay, I'm all yours, Bob," I said brightly, standing in front of him and wiping the bar. "Another drink?" I asked. He nodded. I was struggling to remain composed after my somewhat unnerving encounter with Nick and his friends.

"Whose flowers?" Bob asked, chewing on a straw and looking at the roses.

"Mine. From a friend of a friend," I said with as much cheerfulness as I could muster.

"Anyone I know?" he asked with a frown.

"Just someone I met. The gentleman I was talking to a few minutes ago, in fact," I said as I poured his drink and set it in front of him.

"Where did you meet him?" Bob asked.

"Don't start!" I scolded him. His interrogation was not that cunning.

He shrugged. "Just curious. I thought I might know him. He looked familiar. How did you meet him?"

"Sonny introduced us," I said.

"Sonny?" Bob asked. At that time, Bob had no clue that Jon had designated Sonny as my official escort. He was about to make that discovery, however.

"Jon's brother," I said. "He took me to Nick's club last night."

Bob scowled at me and threw his straw down on the bar in front of him. "Well, what was the man doing here?" he demanded.

"Bob, are we really going to go there?" I said making a face at him.

"Why was he here?" he asked sternly as he leaned towards me.

"He asked me to go to dinner tonight," I said. "I told him I had other plans. I suggested he call some other time," I explained.

"You turned him down?" Bob asked in surprise. I nodded. "What did he say?"

I shrugged. "What could he say? He asked me to cancel my plans and I said no. Sonny and I already have plans for tonight."

"Excuse me a minute," Bob said suddenly. "I have to use the phone." He stood up abruptly and went straight to the payphone in the hall. I watched through the glass door, as he seemed to be arguing with someone over the phone.

Bob returned a few minutes later. His mood had not improved. In fact, he seemed more cranky than usual. Later, when he saw me preparing to clock out for the night, he said, "Don't leave until you come see me, okay?"

I changed clothes and returned to the bar. "You wanted to see me about something?" I asked.

"I want to walk you to your car," he said standing up and tossing a wad of cash on the bar.

"You don't have to do that," I protested weakly.

"I do. In fact, are you headed to Jon's?" he asked. I nodded. "Then I'll drive you there."

"I have my car," I said.

"Leave it. I want to see Jon anyway," he said taking my arm firmly in his hand and striding towards the door.

By the time we reached the parking lot, he was alternating between dragging me and pushing me in the direction of his car. He glanced nervously around the parking lot. I suddenly stopped short, almost jerking my arm free from his grip. "Bob! Stop it! You're hurting me!" I said loudly. "Whatis your problem?" I demanded.

"Cindy!" he snapped. He lowered his voice and looked around again. "Get in the car. Don't make a fucking scene," he warned. "I'm taking you to Jon's. Just get in and shut up! I mean it!"

"Not until you tell me what this is about, Bob," I said stubbornly.

He looked at me with this piercing look and then he sighed. "I'll explain when we get to Jon's. Just get in, okay? Trust me. I'm not going to take you anywhere but straight to Jon's."

I knew he meant what he said. I relaxed and allowed him to unlock the door and put me in the car. He said nothing on the ride to Jon's. He helped me out of the car and walked me to the door, still holding on to my arm and glancing around as if he was expecting someone. Jon opened the door on the first knock. He looked furious. He stepped aside without a word and let us in.

"Jon," Bob nodded as he walked past him. Jon nodded back, but said nothing. Once we were inside and Jon had closed the door, Bob turned to face him. He blew up at Jon immediately.

"Well, are you fucking happy now?" Bob demanded of him with an outburst that made me jump.

"Back off a minute, Bob," Jon warned in a low tone. "Let me get to the bottom of this before you go off half-cocked."

"Get to thebottom of it?" Bob demanded loudly. "The bottom line is that your fucking brother introducedher to a fucking made-man ofLa Costa Nostra, my friend! And, nowhe's sniffing around like a goddamned bloodhound after a bitch in heat!That's the fucking bottom line, Jon. What thehell were you thinking?" he snarled.

"I didn't know Sonny took her there. He didn't mention it and neither did she," Jon protested. He turned his disagreeable gaze on me.

"You didn't ask," I said tilting my head defiantly.

"Sit down! Tell me what happened when you and Sonny went to Nick's," Jon said still frowning.

"All of it?" I asked as I plopped down on his couch.

"Just the part about the club and Nick. Tell me exactly what was said," he insisted.

I sighed and related the conversation to him. Bob was listening intently and he did not look amused. When I finished, Bob shook his head and said, "How do you remember that shit?" He paused a second and said, "Now, tell him how it went today.Exactly!" he demanded.

I repeated the story of my day and my conversation with Nick at the bar. Jon was listening and he was looking no more amused than Bob was at the moment.

"So?" Bob demanded when I had finished. "What are you going to donow, Jon? Do you have anymore brilliant ideas?" he asked sarcastically.

"What are you both getting your panties in such a wad for?" I asked. "Nick's a gentleman. I can handle him," I assured them both.

"You canhandle him?" Bob snarled in disbelief. "Are you fucking joking right now? You don'thandle a man like that. You've already done enough as it is!" he shouted at me.

"Bob, calm down!" Jon said sharply.

"What do you mean,I've done enough?" I snapped at Bob.

"You've insulted him! You turned down his invitation and he isn't going to be happy about that. He already told you he's not happy about it. Do you realize what he is capable of?" he demanded. I stared mutely at him while he ranted at me. "Jon! Do something! He'syour fucking friend!" Bob said turning his attention back to Jon.

"I already have. I have a call in to him," Jon said. "When he calls back, I'll explain it to him. In the meantime, I'll have a talk with Sonny. He won't take her back in the club."

"What are you going to explain, Jon? That she's supposed to be your woman, but you gave her to your brother for your own personal convenience? How are you going to explain that it's okay for Sonny to fuck her, but not him? Do you think he won't be a little bit offended by that notion, Jon?" Bob demanded as he paced back and forth across the floor.

"Face it, Jon. This time you've fucked up royally! Goddamn it, how did I ever get involved in this whole fucking mess?" Bob said, talking more to himself than to either of us.

At that moment there was a light knock on the door. Jon flung the door open and Sonny entered, looking less than pleased as well. He glanced around at all of us and said, "What's this all about, Jon?"

"We need to talk," Jon said calmly. I lit a cigarette and sat back to watch and listen. Sometimes, it's best to sit back, shut up, and let stupid sort itself out.

"What about?" Sonny asked looking confused. "And, why is he here?" he asked nodding to Bob.

"I'll tell you why the fuck I'm here!" Bob snarled. "I'm here because your fucking brother is an idiot. And,you! I don't even want to tell you what I think about you right now!"

I could see Sonny's face go cold and stiff. He looked at Jon. "Jon?" he asked.

"Sonny, it's about last night. You took her to meet Nick?" Jon asked looking in my direction. Sonny nodded. He was staring expressionlessly at me. I said nothing, allowing Jon to explain instead.

"Nick sent flowers to her work today. He showed up this afternoon wanting her to go to dinner with him," Jon said coolly.

Sonny took in what Jon had just said. He was still staring at me. "What did you tell him, Cindy?" he asked.

"I told him I had a date with you tonight. He asked me to cancel with you and I refused," I said meeting his stare.

I saw a flash of something in Sonny's eyes. "What does this have to do with you, Bob?" he asked turning his attention elsewhere for a moment.

"I happened to walk in while your friend Nick wasvisiting her this afternoon," Bob said eyeing Jon uncomfortably. "I didn't think under the circumstances I should let her leave work alone. So, I drove her here," he explained.

"Thank you for that. I think you can leave now," Sonny said, dismissing Bob without another thought.

"Jon..." Bob said with a warning tone and a discontented stare.

"Sonny, I think you should know that Bob feels he has some vested interest in our little girl there," Jon said cautiously.

"Vested interest? How so?" Sonny asked. "Our little girl?" His eyes narrowed and he cocked his head at Jon.

"Yeah, Jon. How so?" Bob said mimicking him sarcastically. "I want to hear you explain it to your brother."

Sonny stood there in total silence and Jon was looking for a way to answer him but finding none. Sonny turned his attention back to me.

"I want to talk to you.Alone!" he said. He reached down taking my arm firmly and pulling me up from the couch. "You don't mind if I just borrow your bedroom a minute, do you, Jon?" he asked as he swept me past Jon and Bob without waiting for an answer.

He closed the door behind us and I could hear Bob and Jon going at it in the other room. Sonny sat me firmly down on the bed and said, "Start talking!" His attitude was now no longer the meek, sweet-natured man I had been dating for the past few days.