Sparrow & Tulip

Story Info
How Theo was lost and found again.
57.8k words
3.7k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This work is not being posted as eligible for any kind of voting, a version of this work was previously posted here under a different user name and allowing it to compete again doesn't seem like fair play to me.

This edition has a new ending, and the body has been extensively edited and reworked. If you're familiar with the original, the hospital scenes were removed for pacing and much of the pathos of early Theo has disappeared. The twins are younger now, allowing the story more time and space to add the accounts of Theo meeting Ayr, Imae, and the rest of the Ta'avi, developing his relationship with Emma, and in general fleshing out parts of their story that got skipped.

With all that out of the way, welcome to Sparrow and Tulip 2.0.

September 3, 2028

Golden Mirror Research Facility

Central Iowa

"Bragglemurf!"

The gleeful exclamation came from a blue- eyed, black-haired two-year-old being held in his mother's arms. She was a stocky muscular woman with black hair, a generation or two removed from the shores of the Mediterranean.

"Verooo!" a nearly identical child yodeled to the first, this one held in their father's arms.

Oliver laughed and bent to rub his nose with his child's. In contrast to his Claire, his wife, Oliver was over two meters tall, with pale skin and long straight black hair that had been gathered into an intricate braid that fell nearly his waist and the same deep blue eyes as their children.

"Ollie, are you sure you got the right clothes on the right one?" Claire asked. "Theo is usually fussier when you carry him."

Oliver looked thoughtfully at the child he was holding before checking the back of the shirt's collar. There was a capital T just inside, making this Theo, instead of his twin, Emma. Both parents had felt a little guilty about resorting to this, but it was the best way to tell them apart because not only did the twins insist on wearing matching clothes, they were delighted at the confusion they could cause.

Several weeks ago, Oliver and Claire had worried that the twins weren't showing much individuality. One fateful morning, they had dressed the kids in separate colors. There were protests that had quickly become a two-hour maelstrom of emotions, as only a toddler could do. When they'd finally been exhausted, Oliver and Claire had taken the pair, grim-faced and unhappy, to their preschool.

When Claire had gone down to see them at lunch, the preschool rooms were quiet, and she could hear Theo and Emma gabbling at each other from a side room. Gratified that they'd accepted the change in routine, she'd peeked in on them. They were putting a puzzle together, stripped down to their underwear. Their teacher saw her and stepped out of the room to speak to Claire.

The woman looked like she'd been through hell and she quietly, but urgently, begged Claire if the pair really needed to wear separate clothes. Their emotional turmoil had erupted again once their parents were gone, and after a couple of hours, the teacher had finally let them strip down. Claire tried hard not to laugh, promising that the twins could go back to choosing their own clothes.

After they'd been put to bed for the night, Claire and Ollie had gone through their clothes and marked them unobtrusively with a T or E. It had worked since then, but Oliver was beginning to suspect that the twins had caught on.

"What's your name?" he asked the child he was holding.

The answer was pursed lips and an emphatic shake of the head.

"No? Well, what do I call you? I guess your name is Miss Elephant Toe now."

Getting another shake of the head, with a hint of a smile, Ollie guessed sillier and sillier names.

"...Flooga Snortensen?"

Both children burst out laughing at that one.

"Noooo! Emmmma!" the child in Oliver's arms protested.

Theo howled with laughter and he rubbed his nose against Claire's obviously proud of himself.

"You did that on purpose?" she asked him.

He chuckled deep in his throat. "Flaggle!" he declared, waving his arms.

"I didn't want it to come to this, little one, but now you're going to get a tattoo on the forehead," Oliver said to Emma.

Claire laughed. "We are not tattooing their foreheads."

"No? Puberty will eventually make it obvious I suppose."

They put the children down on the carpeted floor and waited in the deserted reception area at the entrance to Oliver's lab waited while the twins played. A few minutes later, the doors opened again, and two women entered, much to the delight of the children.

"I guess they missed us," the taller of the women, Oliver's twin sister Amanda said, kneeling to hug each of them.

Amanda wasn't as tall as her brother, just under two meters. They weren't mirror images like the children, but their identical blue eyes, complexion, and long black hair made the relationship obvious.

The woman with Amanda was named Mirjam. She had pale grey/blue eyes and close-cropped white-blonde hair. She was as muscular as Claire and wore a shoulder holster with a large pistol in it.

"What're you two gremlins so happy about?" she asked the children as they collected hugs from her. There was a touch of a lisp in her voice, a consequence of her accent.

"They seem to have figured out the initials on the clothes," Claire said.

Emma was hugging Amanda's leg while Theo demanded to be picked up by Mirjam. When their faces were on the same level, Theo babbled at Mirjam, making emphatic motions with his chubby little hands.

"I think you're probably in trouble," Claire said. "They spent hours looking for you two."

"He does look pretty serious," Mirjam agreed. "I missed you too, Theo."

He tried to look stern but laughed after a moment, pushing his face to hers. Mirjam checked to be sure he was booger free before rubbing noses with him.

"Want to walk them down with me?" Claire asked.

Mirjam considered Oliver and Amanda for a moment. The elder set of twins looked back at her.

"Oh come on, we'll be fine on our own for ten minutes," Oliver said.

"And we're in the middle of a fortress," Amanda added.

"That one tried to sneak away from me on Garradya," Mirjam said to Claire, nodding at Amanda.

"I did not sneak away. I was letting you sleep," Amanda protested.

"I'll keep an eye on her," Oliver promised.

"But who would keep an eye on you?" Claire said. "We could just lock them in."

"Behave," Mirjam told the pair as Claire picked up Emma. The children babbled happily, knowing this routine. The time for boring adult stuff was over and they were headed to their favorite place in the world.

Oliver and Amanda went through into the laboratory proper. Equipment was scattered around the room, sharing space with several whiteboards with protective covers over their faces. In the center of the large room, more whiteboards and test racks were clustered around another cluster of equipment, concealed beneath sheets that had been draped over it.

"The twins still aren't talking?" Amanda asked.

Oliver snorted. "They talk all the time, they just don't bother to include the rest of us."

Amanda frowned. "They're obviously intelligent but at their age we were already using full sentences. Is this something to worry about?"

"Dhammie, they're nothing like we were, looking for parallels is pointless. Once they figure out that they can talk to the rest of us, it will never stop. Enjoy the relative peace and quiet. How was Garradya Hoh?"

"Too much to do and not enough time, like always. Did you end up working all week?"

"Yes, mostly banging my head against the same wall." Oliver flipped the security cover back, exposing a whiteboard covered with a long equation. "Another dead end."

"Let's take a look," Amanda said, examining the board.

Letting her work, Oliver began uncovering the test stands. In the center was a squat shape covered with another dust cloth. As he pulled the cover away, it revealed a device shaped a bit like an antique cannon, if it had been designed by H.R. Giger and constructed by Swiss watchmakers.

Amanda looked up at the device and her eyebrows went up at the triceratops head that now decorated what would have been the cannon's "muzzle."

"Does that help the functionality?"

Oliver glanced at it and laughed. "Not so far, Emma decided that was what it needed though. They both start laughing whenever they see it, I have no idea why. Makes me wonder if they're trying to tell me something."

Amanda grinned. "Yes, they're telling you that they're toddlers."

"Maybe that's it. You finished that proof too quickly. Where did I go wrong?"

"You'll just get mad if I tell you."

"Will not, I 've already wasted the time. Where is it?"

Amanda led him over to one of the boards. "Let's start over here with your functions. I think that's where the flaw in your conditional expression creeps in."

He winced. "That much?"

She began to explain, and they quickly dropped into their native language. Soon, he dragged over another whiteboard and they both began write as they talked.

~~~~

By the middle of the day, Oliver and Amanda had moved from the whiteboards to the strange device, making painstakingly adjustments. Claire and Mirjam had come back to the lab hours ago and were in their usual spot at the lab's portal. Like every other day, their Wards were so focused on their work that they ignored everything else. Claire kept a book with her while Mirjam had a seemingly inexhaustible supply of various firearm publications in her bag. They glanced at each other with amused looks when Claire's tablet alarm went off. After a week apart, the physicists were already back to the same schedule. They'd have to pry the other two out of the lab to eat, and likely sleep. The pair of Wardens went over to where Oliver and Amanda were working. Oliver had crawled under the cannon, adjusting something while Amanda watched a nearby screen. She glanced up at the pair of Wardens and smiled before looking back at the screen.

"Wait, hold it right there," Amanda said. "This is interesting, a perfect waveform, except out of phase and inverted."

"What?" came Oliver's voice from under the machine. "Why? All the emitters are set to the original activation sequence."

Amanda grinned at Claire and Mirjam. "Well, it is upside down now, maybe they got confused."

There was a pained sigh from underneath the equipment and both Wardens grinned.

"Sweetie, upside down is important, isn't it?" Claire asked, doing her best to sound innocent.

"Uhm, no, my love. Gravity is far too weak of a force to act on most any exotic particle at these scales. They can't feel up or down."

"But how do you know?" Claire asked. "Have you ever asked them?"

Amanda started to laugh and put a hand over her mouth.

There was a long silence from under the device. "Yes, except with math. Dhammie, I'm going to check the wire harness again."

"There's chilidogs in the cafeteria today." Mirjam said, holding up her tablet. "We'd better hurry before they're all gone."

"Don't get between her and a chilidog, remember?" Claire said, tapping Oliver's ankle with her toe.

"Anyway, maybe your particles are afraid of the lizard head there on the far end," Mirjam said helpfully.

There was another, more frustrated sigh. "That's even less likely."

"Anyway, that's a dinosaur," Claire said.

Mirjam raised an eyebrow. "And those were what?"

"Reptiles, but there's a semantic difference..."

"Oh, I see," Oliver suddenly said. "You wired it backwards, Dhammie."

"I did not wire anything backwards," Amanda said. She crouched down to look at where he was pointing. "Well...shit. I guess I did."

"It won't take ten minutes to fix. No big deal."

"Ollie, chilidogs," Mirjam said. "The erotic particles can wait."

"Exotic, not...never mind," Oliver said, sliding out from under the device. "Let's go eat."

~~~~

Forty-five minutes later, they sat and watched as Mirjam demolished her fourth chili dog.

"I'll never understand y'all's fascination with those," Claire said. "They're okay but I think Mirjam is having a religious experience over there."

"Is there some kind of alert planned?" Amanda asked, watching the far side refectory.

"Not that I know of," Claire said. "What's wrong?"

"I think something is up," Amanda said. "Watch that new admin."

Claire and Oliver turned to watch the Ian Jones, the research facility's brand-new Administrator. He stopped at another table and spoke quietly to the group there.

Almost immediately they were up and jogging toward the doors.

"Those are all pilots," Claire said. "Yeah, something's up."

They didn't have to wait long. Ian looked around the large room once more and walked to the middle of the room.

"If I could have your attention please?" he said loudly.

The room went immediately went quiet as everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to face him. Ian, suddenly the center of their undivided attention, looked a little startled.

"Uh, right. I apologize for interrupting your meal. A Commonwealth courier just got to broadcast range and passed on some very dark news. Black Swarm ships were detected entering the Te'varvfathi Hoh system."

There was a collective sigh in response.

"What kind of mass are we talking?" someone called.

The administrator looked back at his tablet. "Initial mass scans indicated a fleet sized arrival, at minimum."

Oliver and Amanda's faces had both gone gray and they stared at each other in horror while something like a sigh went through the room. It could only mean one thing; the Black Swarm had found another of their planets. They were suddenly all a little closer to their own extinction.

"There are no indications that Terra is a target, but the Orbital Arrays are moving to full alert and all defense units have been recalled. Our pilots here are part of that, please give the combat specialists the right-of-way, wherever you are. I'll make further updates electronically, I wanted to let people know in person first. Thank you."

"The Ta'avi-kin," Amanda whispered. "We've got to help them."

Claire put her hand gently on her husband's arm, but he didn't notice. He was raised his eyebrows and moved his head slightly. In return, her eyes widened but she nodded slowly after a few seconds.

"It could, but it's not calibrated for complex life forms."

He shrugged. "Would it be worse than dying? If we use a gravimetric shift..."

A few minutes later, Ian Jones noticed their little group, still sitting at their table after everyone else had hurried out. The Wardens were watching the twins work, Amanda was gesturing, speaking quickly in Shareef, while Oliver scribbled equations on the table with a sharpie, occasionally interjecting.

"Doctor and Doctor Tulani," Ian said. "We haven't been formally introduced; we'll have the pleasure later. I've been briefed on your project, is there a chance you can help somehow?"

Amanda nodded, looking down at what Oliver had written. "I'm fairly certain that we can evacuate some people at least. I wish we could do more but..."

"Let me know who or what you need, and when you need it," Ian said. "I'm putting the facility at your disposal."

"Then some numbers people and a couple of engineers," Oliver said, getting up. "Oh, and, uhm, this table."

Mirjam took a picture of the table without missing a beat. Ollie nodded happily at her and took the tablet. Without another word, he and Amanda turned and strode toward the doors. Mirjam rolled her eyes and got up to follow them.

"I'll take care of this," Claire said.

Mirjam nodded before running to catch up with the scientists. Claire got up and began to collect their plates.

"I can take care of this if you need to stay with Dr. Cosineau," Ian said.

"Mirjam can keep an eye on them. I'm sure that Facility Support has better things to do than clean up after us."

She was surprised when the Project Administrator began to help.

"I'm assuming they know someone that's on Te'varvfathi Hoh?" he asked. "I'm still getting situated here and haven't finished all of the exo lectures yet."

"Ollie's family has some business interests there but that's not what they're upset about. When the Ancients established their colonies, the Ta'avi and the Garragh ended up a couple light-hours apart and have always been close friends. When my husband and his family refer to Ta'avi in Shareef, they use a suffix that indicates close kinship."

"Oh, right," Ian said, as they stacked the plates. "I read that you're human."

Claire chuckled as she wiped her hands clean. "I'm a little short for a Garragh, yeah. We fell in love when I became Ollie's Warden."

"That's all that's important," Ian said. "From what I've heard, if anyone can pull off a miracle, it'll be those two. I'll send my assistant down, tell her when you need something. I'll ride the desk and block any interference."

Claire impulsively kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks Ian. And welcome to Bright Mirror, you're doing great for your first...week?"

"All of four days now. I'd better get to the office."

~~~~

An hour later, Ian Jones had come down to the lab and was watching Oliver finish connecting the cannon- like device. Beside him, Amanda was verifying his progress on a computer.

"This is going to move people somehow?" Ian asked.

She nodded, watching the screen. "It works on the same principle as a Slingshot gate, except much smaller phenomenon that we can steer. The old stories mention the Old Ones using something like this to get around. Since we haven't had thousands of years to work on the problem, ours hasn't moved anything but test instruments. But we know it works. It'll be a rough ride, we're still working out issues with the signal-to-noise."

"What do you mean by 'rough?'"

"The test units lost moisture, maybe some minerals. It'll be safe enough once, but they'll be dehydrated, maybe sick."

"I'll let exo-med know," Ian's assistant said and jogged to the door.

"Targeting data is coming through now," one of the astronomers said, coming over to the computer. "Safest will be that small village, Doc. The city centers are probably primary targets for the Bugs."

Oliver nodded as he finished hooking the device up and looked at one of the attached screens. He whistled quietly. "Look at this heat bleed."

Amanda looked over his shoulder. "We could massage that with a little time. Or an orbital platform so we didn't have to adjust for atmosphere."

Claire stepped up. "With what you've got now, what does heat bleed mean? In small words with big pictures for us lesser mortals."

"Basically, it's going to look like a ball of flames at the other end," Amanda said. "But because...physics and stuff, the heat is only generated the outgoing signal. They'll be perfectly safe coming this way. Going out, much toastier."

"And what's that mean?" Mirjam said.

"It'll look like a stationary, ongoing explosion. I think." Ollie said. "Theoretically anyway. Got the tracer ready, Dhammie?"

Amanda pointed at a backpack with several antennae sticking out. "I'm ready."

"But I'm not sure anyone will equate rescue with a ball of fire," Claire said.

"That's why I'll be there to tell them," Oliver said, pulling the heavy backpack on. "I'm going through the gate with this. It'll give our signal more to lock on to."

"Don't be absurd," Amanda said. "The children need you. I'm going."

He went over and put his forehead against hers. "Dhammie, you're better than I am at the math. I need you here so I can make it home again."

"And neither of you maniacs is going anywhere without us," Mirjam said firmly.

Oliver sheepishly looked back at Claire. "Oh, right, you're married," she said,

grinning at him. "You forgot that, didn't you?"