Spirits in the Material World Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hand in hand, they headed out to the Jeep. David opened the driver's door, pulled Maggie into one last hug and kiss, and whispered, "I love you, too." And he headed back to school for three more weeks.

= = =

Maggie was stunned like a mullet. Mouth agape, eyes wide with surprise. Rose had to come out and pull her back into the house.

"What did he say?" asked Rose.

"He said, 'I love you, too.'"

"That boy has it bad for you, doesn't he?"

"Just as bad as I have it for him, Mom. Are we being silly?"

"I don't believe so, Maggie. There are all kinds of examples where relationships last through college and go on for the rest of their lives. This may well be one of them. I hope so, for you both."

Rose decided this would be a good time for them to get on the road as well.

"We'll talk at 9:00, Alan?"

"Most assuredly, Rose. Maggie, may I speak with you for a moment, please? Can you give us a minute, Rose, please? Maybe get your bags down and ready?"

Alan and Maggie stepped into the living room and sat on the sofa, knees almost touching, but angled in towards each other.

"Maggie, did David tell you he loves you?"

"Yes, Alan, he did. When I first told him, he said we were too new into the relationship to use the word 'love' seriously. That kind of hurt, just a little, but he made sense. But then he did say, 'I love you, too' just before he drove off. What does this all mean?"

"It means, my dear, that he has made up his mind and has followed through on his promise to his mother to be open to someone else loving him. He has shut out nearly everyone since Laura died. He got hard on the outside and kept everyone at a distance, even Tom and me. His interest in you from Julie's picture started to show major cracks in that hard shell. It may not be gone, yet, but you have been a huge catalyst, and I love you all the more for it. Thank you, even though you were just being yourself. Thank you for my son."

Maggie practically leaped into Alan's arms, surprising him. "And you are so good for my Mom. She was singing today! She almost never sings."

"And she is so good for me, too, Maggie. I don't know how this will play out, but don't be surprised if I come and visit for some weekends."

"I love you, too, Alan."

Then Rose appeared in the doorway and indicated her readiness to return home. Alan escorted them to her car, opening first the door for Maggie, then the door for Rose. He hugged Rose closely, kissing her deeply, and confirming their standing 9 pm call. Rose started the car and backed out of the driveway and with a honk in farewell returned to her apartment in Centreville.


12