Split Trails Ranch

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was tempting, but the contract was coming up and I couldn't afford to miss delivery. I knew who he was and where he was, so he could wait.

We'd rounded up about 450 head, more than we contracted for but the Quartermaster said he'd like to have a hundred more head if we could find them, so we didn't think he would be disappointed.

That night, we had a family meeting, that included Brad, Carlos, Bud, Sonny, and Bill. I laid it out for them, the confrontation, how I'd hanged them all, and my fear of retailaition.

"Sonny, you and Bill are staying here. So is Tom. That long rifle might come in handy. I'm taking most of the crew, and the rest know what to be on the lookout for. Fort up, and keep an eye out. I'll make a lot better time on the way home, so look for me back in five weeks. I need you to understand, I can't abide the thought of losing any of you. You're my family. To me, family always come first, but if I don't make this delivery it would make it really hard on the future of this ranch, and it's our livelihood. Can I depend on you?"

Claire took my hand, something she'd been doing a lot lately. It had been almost six months since that fateful day when her husband lay dying in the dust. We'd started out as uneasy partners, then we became friends, then it had turned into something much more. As usual, she had to point it out to me.

She caught me coming back from a line shack, dirty, hungry, and a little pissed at the sad state of things I'd found. I'd fired the two men there on the spot, sending Carlos, my only companion, back to the ranch to fetch a couple of replacements. I ended up staying a week, working from daylight to dark. I had things almost in shape when the two men arrived with a packhorse full of supplies. I had no idea what happened to the supplies there, though I suspected they used a lot of it to feed their night riding friends.

She sat and waited until I reached her, grinning. Her grin turned to a frown when she saw the sad shape I was in. I'd made it a point to always be cleanshaven and presentable around the ladies, and here I was with a three day growth of beard, greasy lank hair, with unwashed clothes that held a weeks worth of dirt.

She perked up, though, as she surveyed me. "You look awful, honey. I heard you were coming in today and I packed a change of clothes for you. First stop for you mister is the bathhouse. We can't have our girls seeing you like this! When you're clean, I'm taking you home and Sissy is going to feed you until you're satisfied, even if it takes until midnight."

She talked as we rode, updating me on the happenings of the ranch. The new fangled sewing machine had come in the day I left, and Courtney had been locked in her sewing room ever since. She'd come to me, showing the advertisement, and asked if she could have an advance against her wages to pay for it.

"Will it benefit the ranch?"

She seemed a little nervous for some reason. "Yes and no, Zeke. I haven't really told anybody, but I've been sewing things for Mrs. Branch, the dress shop owner, for about two months now. It pays really well, so I think I should pay for the machine. I'll still keep the ranch in clothes, I'll just do this in my spare time."

I thought about it for a minute. "We'll split the cost. My half will pay for the ranch business, your half will pay for your side business."

It was funny to see a grown woman almost skip out of the room.

Claire laughed with him about how happy Courtney was. Then she updated him on their oldest daughter. "Jessica isn't a little girl anymore, honey. The day after you left she came to me complaining of cramps, and when the blood came she panicked. I held her hand and soothed her, telling her she had crossed the threshold from a girl to a woman. I bathed her, told her where to find the materials to keep herself clean and how to use them. I told the rest of the ladies, and we held a little ceremony, welcoming her to adulthood. We included Sabrina so she would know what's coming in a year or two. It seemed to help."

Well then, my baby was a woman now. I was going to have to think about that.

We arrived at the bathhouse, and she handed me some fresh soap, saying she would put my clean clothes in the cupboard. I just stood under the warm water for a few minutes. We'd gotten better at regulating the flow, so the warm water lasted longer. Finally I stared cleaning myself, working the soap into every pore. I was about done when I felt a draft.

"Let me wash your back, honey."

I nearly jumped out of my skin, then I felt soft hands on me. "Relax, honey. This was going to happen sooner or later, and if I didn't move things along it would have been much later. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be dropping babies, so we need to get started."

I felt her soft skin against my back, especially the pillowy breasts. I could even feel her hard nipples. The water wasn't that cold. She turned me around, and I opened my eyes to see the most glorious thing ever. Claire, naked. I was right, her breasts were a lot bigger than they looked in those tight dresses. I followed the vision down to her tiny waist. I resolved to see if I could touch fingers as I wrapped my hands round it. Her legs were long and well defined, muscled from riding and life on the ranch. The soft downy fur that covered her juncture just seem to beg to be stroked. I couldn't control myself, reaching up and gently touched a breast.

She grabbed my hand, pushing it into her. "They won't fall off honey, you can play with them all you want. In fact, I insist you handle them firmly, and often."

I moaned as she slid her hand down my front, touching my Johnson as he stood proud. "My, My. I've only been with one man, and I can tell you with all honesty he wasn't half the man you are. You hearing me honey? Not half. I'm not really sure this thing will fit. I'd like to see, though."

We played with each other until the water ran out, then went into the changing room for towels. She insisted I dry her, giving careful consideration to the tender spots. She threw the towels down and devoured my mouth with hers, kissing me with as much intensity as possible. Her lips came off with a pop and she grinned. "I wanted the first time to be in a big comfy bed, but I'm so hot now I can't wait."

She draped the towels across the seat, leaning forward and sticking that incredible bottom up. "Come on, stud. Breed me! I want to throw your babies! I need you to make me your woman. Now mount me like a mare in heat, because I am!"

She was wriggling her ass and I was getting hotter by the minute. I didn't think, I acted. Months of lusting for her came out as I tried sliding into her gently. By the time I was halfway in she slammed back aganst me, letting out a little scream. It was less a stallion mounting a mare in heat and more of a man trying desperately to stay on a bucking bronco. I gripped her hips more firmly, getting a little more control, but I hadn't slacked off any. I knew I wouldn't last long, I hadn't had a woman since that night so long ago in the whorehouse, so I decided to make it as intense as possible. Two minutes later I was slamming her so hard it felt like I was holding her off the bench, only to look down and see it was true. I gave one more hard lunge and emptied myself in her, listening to her little wail turn into a moan. I couldn't hold her weight any longer, and eased her down until she was on the bench again. I slid out, surprised to hear her crying. I picked her up, reveling in how solid her body was, and sat down, holding her on my lap and caressing her.

She finally calmed down, and her arms came up to circle round my neck. She pulled me down into a very nice kiss, then sighed against my neck, saying something I couldn't quite hear.

I lifted her face up, giving her another kiss. "I didn't hear you, love."

"I said I'm sorry."

I didn't understand. This happened because she initiated it. "Why are you sorry?"

"I'm sorry I jumped you like this. It's just that I missed you, and when I saw how dirty you were, I knew it was my opportunity. I know you love me, I see you when you don't think I'm watching. Why do you think I bent over so much in front of you? I wanted you to want me. And now you've had me, because I acted like a little slu..."

I kissed her again. "You are not! You're a woman staking a claim, and I'm here to tell you I've been branded. The heat of your body has surely left a mark on me."

I sighed. "You know this means we have to marry. I may have already put the beginnings of a child in you. I'm prepared to do the right thing, but not because I have to Claire. Because I want to. I felt the spark the first time we met. But the way we met, the relatively short amount of time we've known each other held me at bay. I wanted to do the right thing, to honor you. Claire, will you marry me? I've already got a ring, I was just waiting."

She kissed my neck and cooed, then held out her hand. The ring was already on her finger. "I found it when I was putting away some of your clothes. You're not very good at hiding things, you know? I showed it to the ladies, and even the junior members said it was high time you got off the pot. They are already planning the wedding, Courtney had been driving us crazy with dress designs. Sissy and Bud insist they get married first, and Henri is mooning over Carlos. I never thought I'd see that. The ranch is going to be a pretty popular place for a while. Can we afford to give Carlos and Henri a little piece of land like we did for Sissy and Bud?"

I laughed. " Remember, you gave her five per cent of the spread, so she's not without means. Even so, Henri may be marrying above her station. His parents own a ranch right over the border from my family's place, and it's as big if not bigger than our spread. He's their only child. Carlos is a loyal man and a good friend, but he's not staying around for me. If he wasn't interested in Henri he would have been long gone."

That surprised her. Then she smirked. "Looks like the Benson girls are going to do pretty well, after all. Paris has been talking about atttending medical school. There's a university in Toronto that will take female students. Courtney, well she wants to be a designer in Paris or New York. We'll have to fund their studies if we can afford it."

I just grinned. "Oh, I don't think it will be a burden. I never told you because it never seemed to matter, but Brad and I kind of struck it rich in Colorado. We leased the mine to a reputable company for a good portion of the worth of the ore they bring out. So far it's averaging about twelve to fourteen thousand a month. I've let it lay in the bank because we haven't needed it."

It took her a few minutes to process that. "So besides marrying a well to do rancher, I'm marrying a mining magnate?"

"Kind of. I really don't want you to tell anyone. I haven't touched it because I haven't needed it. It will be a legacy for our children."

That started me thinking. "What about the girls? What do you think they want?"

Claire laughed. "That's easy. They want their Daddy. Oh, they love me too, but you're number one in their hearts right now. It's really going to hurt to watch them grow up and leave us. You know we'll have to send them back East for college when they come of age. I want our girls to have every advantage in life. Just like I want their brothers and sisters to have."

She got really quiet and I asked her what was wrong.

"How old are you, Zeke?"

"I'm twenty-five. Why?"

The tears started. "I'm thirty! I'm an old woman compared to you. I don't even know if I can give you children! We need to call this off now, so you can find a younger woman who'll give you a family."

She was full on sobbing. It never occurred to me she could be older. She seemed so young and the only wrinkle she had were around her eyes, from squinting in the hot sun. I didn't know what to do so I flipped her over and smacked that exceptional bottom just to get her attention. She started squirming all over me, trying to get away, but I had a death grip on her brunette mane. She wasn't going anywhere.

"You listen to me, girl! If I wanted a brood mare I could have already found one. Now, I want a thoroughbred, good lines, spirited, someone to be proud of. So what if we don't have any more children? We've got two daughters who I'm sure will make our lives interesting for years to come. Now, are you going to behave, or do I have to tan that hide?"

She was squirming, reaching back. I captured her hands and held them, pretty much making her helpless. Claire was a little pissed. "I'm a thoroughbred? Then why are you beating me like a mule? Don't you ever...OWW!"

I had smacked her again. "I'm your husband. More importantly, I'm your man. Tell me I really hurt you. Show me the bruises. I'm just trying to get your attention. I love you, but you're a little headstrong at times. The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter if we have children. As long as I have you and the girls, it would be greedy to ask for anything else. Let's go over this again. I love you. I'm going to marry you. You will love me back, and we will dote on our children. If more come later, we will dote on them too. Tell me you understand, or prepare to have a very sore bottom."

Her breathing had slowed. I was rubbing her bottom gently, enjoying the touch. She squirmed a little and sighed. "I understand, my man. Be aware though, that I'm a woman and can be emotional and unreasonable at times. If I go too far, and your mare get's the bit in her teeth, I expect you to rein me in. Like this, if necessary."

I smacked her gently, just on general principle, and she turned, grinning. "Your mare is in heat again. Are you going to cover her?"

It was slower and gentler this time. Right up until the end, whens she was thrashing around and begging me to use the quirt. I smacked her bottom about five times before she stiffened and screamed. She was squeezing me with muscles I never knew a woman had, and I filled her once again. She relaxed into my arms. "I'm bred. I can feel it. A little colt, I'm sure. Are you happy?"

"The happiest I've ever been in my life. I'd like to stay right here, but we need to get cleaned up. I'm sure our kids are wondering where we are. It wouldn't do for them to come looking."

"I agree. But we've had a taste of each other now, and I know we're not going to stop. I have a feeling we're going to be the cleanest people in the territory."

We ran the hot water out bathing each other. We had just gotten dressed when we heard giggling. I just managed to get outside when they rode up.

"Daddy! We've missed you. Where's Momma?"

"She decided I smelled bad and made me bathe. Then she decided since she was here she'd have a quick bath. She should be out in a minute."

Claire came out, toweling her hair. "There you are. Girls, since you're here, get cleaned up. Your father and I will wait, but don't take too long."

Soon they were in the bathhouse, giggling and splashing, while Claire and I took advantage and kissed until they finished. They came out, shiny clean, looked at us and grinned. Claire's hair was in disarray, and two buttons of her blouse were open. My hat was on the ground, my hair sticking out wildly, and I was a little breathless. They didn't say anything, just rode ahead of us far enough to not be overheard, and had a spirited conversation that involved a lot of giggling and whispering, with glances back at us.

Every female, from the kids to Sissy, would look at me and grin at dinner. Claire just glowed, smiling serenely at the banter. I tapped a glass whe dinner was over. "I'm pretty sure every one of you knew before I did, but Claire and I are engaged, to marry as soon as possible. Sissy, it looks like when the preacher gets here, he'll get paid twice. You and Bud will marry on Friday, a wedding is basically for the bride to shine, and you shouldn't have to share the day. We'll take Saturday, then we'll celebrate together. Does that sound reasonable?"

I got cheek kisses from Sissy and Claire, so I guess they thought it was reasonable. The weddings were to be performed the weekend we were back from the drive, to give them time to have dresses made and plan.

After my announcement of what I feared while I was on the drive, I had something even harder to say. "Jess, Sabrina, I'm really sorry girls, but I can't take you on the drive this time. We'll make a tempting target, both going with the cattle and coming home with the payment. It'll be a government voucher, it won't be cash, but it's still worth trying to steal. I'll make it up to you, babies. I promise."

They took it better than I thought, both snuggling me. "It's all right, Daddy. It's a good thing. Now they'll be two more guns if we're attacked."

I shuddered at the thought. I was to find out later though, that when push came to shove, my babies were made of stern stuff. Claire was not going either, opting to stay and keep an eye on things.

The morning we left, they kissed me like I was never coming back. I just grinned and told them not to have too much fun without me, and I'd be back before they noticed I was gone. Sonny had asked if he could stay to support Bud just in case, and I allowed it.

Split Tails Ranch Part 6

The drive was like any other I had ever been on. Hot, dusty, filled with stubborn animals who didn't want to leave their home range. By the third day we had them almost trail broken and life was getting easier. The old brindle cow who had assumed the lead position was up before daylight most days, ready to begin the journey. I decided she would be spared the fate of the others and would bring her home with us. A good lead cow is as valuable as a good hand.

We'd been on the trail for four days when Brad rode up. "We got company. Ten, maybe twelve, dogging us about three miles back. The don't look friendly."

We talked it over, and Brad and Carlos kind of drifted away under cover of the dust. They stayed with our new friends, creeping close to camp late that night. Listening intently, they found they were indeed after us, waiting to attack us at a place where there was a narrow pass with high sides. They planned to stampede the cattle over us, knowing we couldn't get away because of the steep sides. Carlos and Brad drew back, and made plans of their own. No need to make it easy for them. About four in the morning, when even the sentry was asleep, they undid the picket line and took most of their horses, bringing them back and turning them into our remuda. They were pretty good stock all told, outlaws couldn't afford to have a slow or weak horse. If they were going to follow us now, they would be walking, and totin' their saddles.

Carlos kept an eye on them. They were down to four horses, so they sent two riders back to get more mounts. He said the leader shot the sentry down without a chance. After hearing that it would take four days for the men to return with fresh mounts, he followed the two men. Catching up with them the next day, he set up an ambush, got the drop on them, and left them on foot. It would take a week or better for them to fetch new horses if they had to walk. He'd taken their guns, dropping them about a mile out, making them walk back to get them. A mile later he dropped the ammo.

We made it to the train depot, met the Quartermaster, and after he inspected the beeves he wrote out our voucher. I got him to do me a favor and send it on to Big Bend with a patrol who would be in the area, to be delivered to our banker. Captain Ross offered me a contract. Five hundred head a year for five years, the price being whatever was current. It was good deal, so I took it.

Brad came by the office as we were finishing. "Our friends just rode into town."

I grinned. At least they hadn't bothered us on the drive. "Good. Let's go down to the saloon, buy them a drink, shoot the breeze a little."

1...678910...14