Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 02 - Inherit Ch. 05

Story Info
A Forbidden Memory.
5.7k words
4.83
2.1k
2

Part 5 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 10/13/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

Captain Archer and Lt. D'Arcy would spend their lives steadfastly refusing to speak to anyone about what had happened between them on Dyfed. They had, however, written at length about it in their private journals and diaries, if only to exorcise their demons. The old man now in possession of those hand-recorded documents never needed to turn to those pages because he knew them by heart. Every thought and feeling was recorded in his mind, heart and soul and stored there like a miser hoarding his gold. It was a part of him, yet from time to time he liked to turn back and look at those pages just so he could see her writing. Just gazing at it brought to his mind images of captivity in a harsh Xindi prison and the sheer courage to escape it.

Stardate-169559.84 (June 10, 2153)

"Here!" growled a Xindi Reptilian guard as he sent two bowls of food through the 'pass-through', slamming the metal door. Captain Archer glared at his captor as he rose from where he sat on the dirt floor and collected the two bowls. He handed one to Lt. D'Arcy who gave him a polite thank you, but the smell made it impossible for her to eat it. A little more than seventy-two hours before they had beamed down to a moon that sensors showed to have great quantities of trellium-D. If it could be easily mined then they would be able to use the substance to insulate the Enterprise and prevent damage from anomalies in the Expanse.

When one such anomaly prevented the ship's systems from getting a complete reading of the moon's make-up, it was decided that the readings should be done on the surface. The captain insisted on going down there himself and normally he would have taken Commander Tucker, but the anomalies had wreaked havoc with the engines so he opted for Lt. D'Arcy as the second. He could just as easily have taken T'Pol, but there was one skill the lieutenant had that he felt would be an asset. Her skills with hacking and programming made her invaluable in the expanse. The ability to adapt the equipment to handle changes in the environment or during anomalies was critical and had already proved useful. Wearing environmental suits they took the shuttle pod to the surface and began to set up the equipment. What they could not have foreseen was that shortly after their arrival, they would be taken prisoner by Xindi Reptilians monitoring the area.

They were stripped of their weapons and communicators before being beamed on board the Xindi ship then taken through a subspace vortex to a small planet called Dyfed that was enclosed by a magnetic field. It was lowered long enough for them to be transported to the surface then re-engaged. Each was taken individually into a small room and questioned and the warden wasn't too particular about the methods he used to extract information. He did stop shy of leaving any marks or evidence of any kind. This was less about mercy and more because he knew Commander Dolim was on his way and would be angry if he found out the prison administrator had gone behind his back and attempted to take the glory for himself. Neither the captain nor the lieutenant ever broke. They never even gave so much as their name, rank or serial number.

The warden showed them to a cell and advised them that they would remain here until Commander Dolim arrived. There was no doubt in their minds that the Enterprise would do all they could to find them, the problem was the security. If one could get past the metal bars and armed guards there was still that magnetic shield surrounding the planet to contend with. Not only could you not send a shuttle or beam anyone in or out while it was active, but it would be impossible to scan the surface and locate an individual.

The facility they were in was small with only about three or four cells for prisoners. Captain Archer speculated that it was more of a place for holding prisoners rather than an actual prison. The room they were being held in had only a dirt floor with no windows and no beds. There was a toilet and for modesty's sake they would politely face the opposite direction so the other could have what little privacy they could get. They were given food each morning, at least that's what they were told it was. It mostly looked like brown sludge and tasted about as good. There had to be a way to get free. Studying the movements of the guards they began to carefully formulate a plan. Not wanting to be heard they would communicate by writing in the dirt, then erasing it with a sweep of their foot.

Shortly after their breakfast, Danaë began to cry out in pain. When the guard came to check on her, Archer made his move and quickly disarmed the guard while Danaë took possession of his hand-held database and began to sift through the information on it.

"You know the Xindi language?" Archer asked.

"I know enough. Our belongings are being held in a safe in the storage room," she answered. Putting the weapon to the reptilian guards back, they forced him to take them to the storage room. Once inside they had no trouble locating the safe, but the guard refused to open it. Danaë searched the database and discovered what the access code was and then opened it herself. They quickly gathered their things, then she once more accessed the files and discovered where the master controls to the magnetic field were. These controls were housed in a complex approximately 5 kilometers away. They took the keys to the main prison gate from the guard and were surprised how little resistance he gave.

"You have not escaped your prison, but thrown away your protection. This is no Xindi planet and there are creatures out there more dangerous than you know. I doubt you will make it a thousand yards before the pahua feeds you to its young."

"Give our apologies to Commander Dolim," responded Archer. "We'll have to meet him another time." At this the guard sneered.

"I don't doubt you will . . . if there is anything left of you to meet."

Without another word the two took off down the path through the tall grasses. For a moment they were excited at their luck in gaining their freedom, but as they reached the edge of the grass they heard an ominous screech. Both of them began to look about hoping to find the source, but they could see nothing but the beginning of a forest with rock outcroppings and gnarled trees. The captain grabbed a hold of Danaë's arm to ensure that neither could vanish without the other noticing. They moved slowly through the trees, their eyes watching every fluttering leaf, certain that a reptilian or insectoid was around every corner. Another screech met their ears and a shadow appeared among the trees in the distance. Archer fired his weapon in its direction as a warning, but it seemed unfazed. The two Starfleet officers began to hot foot it as fast as they could through the forest.

They made it several more feet before a dark creature dove at them. It was only a few seconds but they saw enough. It seemed a strange amalgam of humanoid features mixed with avian. Its long spindly legs were bird-like with vicious looking talons. Its torso was humanoid with muscular arms and hands that boasted three long fingers bearing long razor-like nails. Large, strong black feathered wings extended from its back, but its face seemed strangely human in its appearance yet its eyes had all the appearance of a hawk and in place of lips there was a sharp beak. The warning from the reptilian guard came back to haunt their recollection. If that was a pahua and its intent was to feed them to its young, then there was no telling how many the creatures were around them . . . watching them.

Swiftly they moved through the trees and just as quick the creature was upon them. It caught Archer by the arm and started to lift him up. Danaë quickly pointed her phase pistol at its leg and fired, causing it to release him but not without its talons ripping a deep gash in his upper arm. He fell back to the ground a few feet from Danaë who went rushing towards him. The creature made another attempt but they quickly ducked out of its way. Getting back to their feet they started to run again. Seeing some rocks ahead they leapt over them to find themselves falling down a hole into a cavern.

Before they could catch their breath from the fall, the pahua made one final attempt to obtain its prey. It forced one of its long bird-like legs into the opening and for a moment caught Danaë's leg. Archer shot the Xindi-Reptilian ray gun hitting the creature's leg and forcing it to release her. When it started to come back Archer shot it again several times before it finally retreated with one final cry of frustration.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he knelt down next to her.

"Yeah. Nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises. How are you?" Danaë asked, looking at the large deep cut across his upper arm.

"Nothing Dr. Phlox can't fix," he said.

Looking over their surroundings, they could see they were inside a naturally formed cave that was illuminated with a soft blue light emanating from a quartz-like mineral that developed in the soil layers. The room was about the size of the mess hall and was a warm seventy degrees. In the light the two officers could see passages leading off from this room, but neither wanted to discover what was in them. Archer had endured rigorous survival training, yet he was at a loss as to what to do next. They had no water or food and they were still a long way from the generator. Unwilling to give up, Archer started to climb the rock wall toward the opening they had fallen through, but the walls were slick and he barely made it up five feet before his hand slipped and he came crashing back down.

"That was not a smart thing to do," Danaë said, helping him up.

"Have you got a better idea?" he asked, frustrated and angry at the situation.

"Not really, just sit back and be patient." At this he was uncertain if she was being sarcastic or honest. The expression on her face told him it was the latter. "I do know that injuring yourself or getting killed won't get us any closer to being rescued."

"We can't just sit on our asses and hope someone finds us. There is too much at stake, don't you understand that?"

"Yes I do. In case you forgot, I've been working right alongside you searching the expanse for anything that would lead us to the Xindi. Occasionally we've gotten lucky and found something but it's still a very small needle hidden in an endless haystack. I am also aware that you have the burden of knowing that billions of lives are waiting breathlessly for us to find the Xindi and stop them." Her words echoed his own since entering the expanse. " We're all frustrated . I also hate to be the one to tell you, but starship captains are only human and subject to the same emotions, stresses and frustrations that all other humans experience." He half rolled his eyes in doubt that she could understand the pressures weighing on his shoulders. "You are angry at the loss of those seven million lives and angry that the Xindi are determined to destroy the rest of us as well. You're also afraid of failure. It's the main you've been so damned grumpy since we left spacedock."

"I think I have every right to be angry, lieutenant," he responded a bit sharply.

"Yes you do," she agreed.

"Tell me, does your crystal ball also show you how many times I'm going to have to cross the line in order for this mission to succeed?" He waited, but there was no answer. "I was already willing to torture that Oosarian pirate. The last thing he said to me was 'mercy is not a quality that would serve me well in the expanse'. I'm starting to think he was right."

"Rajiin," Lt. D'Arcy said. The ship was still gossiping about the beautiful slave girl that had begged Archer to rescue her in the floating bazaar only to find out she was collecting information for the Xindi so they could create a bio-weapon. He glared up at the lieutenant for just mentioning that name.

"You said I was afraid of failure, well you're right, I am." There was nothing easy about being the captain of a star ship, especially in times of conflict. Danaë remembered the same look on her father's face, though he was better at hiding it. He had never discussed ship matters with her, but she always knew when they were headed into danger, it was something in the mask of silent contemplation that gave it away. She had shared a few stories about her father with Captain Archer back before joining his crew, but she never expected them to be taken so seriously. "You've told me stories about the way your father handled things . . . perhaps he should be the one sitting in that captain's chair."

"The only thing my father had that you don't is the benefit of two hundred years of experience by previous captains, including you." He looked at her skeptically. "Let me tell you something about Captain Jean-Luc Picard, he was heroic, intelligent and a very skilled diplomat, but he was also stubborn and possessed a touch of arrogance. If his mind was made up then not even the devil could move him. He prided himself on his ability to listen but there were times when he heard only what he wanted to hear and it cost him dearly. Being driven is a wonderful attribute but it can go too far and there were times he took it too far. He wasn't given to displaying emotion nor was he given to displays of affection, even with me." She sat down next to him and sighed. "No man is perfect. You do the best you can with the knowledge and ability given to you." She hated to see him so unhappy and longed for him to be the way had been before all this, laughing and optimistic. "It's funny, back in my own time there was a very specific protocol that must be followed at all times when it comes to exploration and particularly first contact with a species. I heard the rules so often growing up that it was just another part of life. When I met you and you told me about the problems you had experienced and what you had hoped it would be like, I was amazed. I had never met anyone with such childlike naivety. You led your crew into the unknown reaches of space wearing your heart on your sleeve, and that is the bravest and most wonderful thing I have ever heard of." Somehow he didn't seem convinced. Danaë knew better than to talk about anything from the future, but right now it seemed cruel not to give him something to hold on to. "Perhaps I can give you some measure of hope." He looked up at her but there was nothing in his face that said he was even slightly encouraged. "Captain, can you see me, right now?"

"Yes."

"My voice, you can hear it, correct?" To this he again answered 'yes', but couldn't understand what she was getting at.

"Then you should believe that everything will be fine. I was born in 2364. If the earth is destroyed then my ancestors will not exist . . . neither will I. Look at me, I'm still here and I still remember all about the famous President Archer and everything that he . . . you will achieve. The stakes on this mission are high and we both know timelines are changeable, but so long as you can see me, then there is hope that we will succeed. Don't let their fear and hate change you."

Captain Archer sat there on the floor of the cavern, taking in what she had said for quite a while. She was right and he knew it. He had to hold on to who he was and not let the Xindi change him. He looked over at the lieutenant as she walked around the cavern looking at the stone walls. Their friendship was a unique one. Almost from the moment they met there had been a chemistry between them. Both had a way of being able to read the other without a word being said. It was necessary for a captain to give the appearance of confidence, yet he knew that she always seemed to see through it. She never questioned his orders, yet when they were assembled in the situation room or command center, he found himself glancing in her direction to see by her expression if she approved. That was something Archer couldn't understand. He had made difficult decisions before and had been given much needed reassurance by officers and those closest to him, particularly T'Pol, and it helped greatly. Still, Danaë's good opinion meant a lot. He tried to tell himself that it was because she had grown up in the 24th century hearing what a great hero Jonathan Archer was and he had to somehow live up to that image. No matter how he wanted to believe it, he knew this was not the truth, but he would not allow himself to entertain any ideas regarding attraction or affection.

The captain looked at the wound in his upper arm and was relieved that it had stopped bleeding, but he still wished there was a first aid kit handy. He looked back over to Danaë to see that she was now focused on a particular section of stone wall on the far side just below one end of the cave opening. She started to pull herself up the wall several feet before dropping back down.

"The rocks are dry on this side. We might be able to use your idea after-all."

"The pahua has to sleep sometime. We can try climbing out after dark. Maybe it won't notice us." It was either that or begin exploring the other tunnels and hopefully find a safe way out or at least some water. Carefully Danaë dug one of the glowing rocks out of the wall and began to analyze it. "So, how long were you going to wait before telling me you could speak Xindi?"

"My Federation history classes spoke at length about some of the key first contacts made and the importance of communication and behavior. In order to better understand we were each assigned a language that we had to learn as well as give a full report on cultural behaviors, taboos, rituals, etc. I was assigned the Xindi." Danaë had learned a great deal about the species, including the fact that they were divided into six distinct types. Their language was a complex one with the Xindi Aquatics and Insectoids having their own specific languages while a common language existed between the Reptilians, Primates and Arboreals. It was unknown whether the Avians shared the common language or had their own since they became extinct with the destruction of their home world. At times Lt. D'Arcy had wanted to share her knowledge but had held back due to the Prime Directive. Her knowledge was gained from a future time and she couldn't use it to shape the past. "I've forgotten most of it, but I can still pick out a few key words in their database."

She sat down beside Archer and looked up at the sky high above this hole they were sitting in. It was still several hours before the sun would go down. There was nothing to do but wait. Sitting in the cavern, they were both thirsty and could hear their stomachs beginning to growl. Hoping to take their minds off of it they began to pass the time with idle chit chat. Archer told her humorous stories from his survival training and test pilot days. He told her about A.G. Robinson and their friendship as well as rivalry. Danaë in turn told him stories from her travels across the earth. In one of her tales she spoke of a young Ferengi she met that had been left behind by his shipmates and how he attempted to take her backpack of belongings in accordance with the 'rules of acquisition'. He had expected her to be unarmed, but wisely chose to forego the attempt when he found she was not.

This story brought to Captain Archer's mind the incident on Risa and how Malcolm Reed and Trip had willingly followed two seemingly beautiful women into a basement in hopes of an evening's pleasure. Once in the basement it was discovered that they were thieves, a species that could shape-shift. Neither Lt. Reed nor Cmdr. Tucker had been willing to discuss what had happened on Risa for quite some time. Eventually, over dinner in the captain's mess, Trip did finally confess the details of that shore leave, much to the amusement of Archer.

Danaë asked whether Malcolm ever confessed, but the answer was 'no'. Lt. Reed was a very private man with a traditional approach to life on a starship. He saw socializing with senior officers as inappropriate, particularly when it came to the captain. Danaë pointed out that she had never known him to hesitate when it came to conversing with her. Seizing his opportunity, Archer expressed his opinion that he, among others on board, thought Malcolm was a bit smitten with her.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers
12