Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 02 - Inherit Ch. 06

Story Info
The Remembrance of a Forbidden Liason
5.5k words
4.79
1.9k
1
0

Part 6 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 10/13/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

After a half hour of uncomfortable silence, neither of them could take it anymore. This was getting ridiculous. They were adults and perfectly capable of conducting themselves as such. At the moment they only had themselves to depend on for survival so it was imperative they work together. Whatever they might feel, it was unimportant and they needed to let it go and just deal with the situation at hand.

Both of them turned, ready to discuss the matter, but before they could, the silence was broken by the sound of footsteps coming from one of the tunnels. Archer quickly grabbed the Xindi weapon he had confiscated and Danaë armed herself with her phase pistol. Ready to defend themselves, they watched the two tunnels intently. They expected to see Xindi reptilians or insectoids, but to their surprise four men appeared. They were humanoid, but clearly different in species. Their skin was pale white with almost a transparent look in some places. Their eyes were large and black. Their faces, while similar to humans, were long and narrow with high cheekbones and bald elongated heads. They were relaxed in their demeanor, which could not be said for the two humans, and dressed in layers of robes with a thick cummerbund at the waist. The fabrics of their robes were comparable to silks and brocades and embroidered in gold and silver. For a moment the two humans could almost believe they were staring at Persian princes. One of the four stepped forward, his robes were encrusted in fine jewels, identifying him as the leader. He gestured a greeting then began to speak.

"You are not Xindi," his voice was smooth and deep.

"No. We're humans and we're from Earth. We were brought here as prisoners," Archer explained. "Who are you?"

"I am Xipilli and my people are the Gintare. We live in these tunnels."

"I'm Captain Jonathan Archer," he responded in introduction. "And this is Lieutenant Danaë D'Arcy. We fell down the hole while trying to escape from the pahua," he told them, pointing to the opening above his head.

"You're hurt." Xipilli pointed out, noticing the blood and wound on Archer's upper arm. His dark eyes then looked about the cavern but saw no evidence of food, water or anything that could dress their injuries. "Where are your supplies?"

"We don't have any. We escaped with only our weapons, scanner and database," Archer answered. Xipilli took a leather bota bag that hung from a long strap from around his neck and held it out to the captain.

"It is water. Drink and refresh yourselves." At this Archer took it and after opening the spout handed it to Danaë before refreshing himself. "Come with us and we will give you food and shelter."

"We need to get to the facility that houses the magnetic field controls. It has to be shut down so we can contact our ship."

"I understand," Xipilli answered. "And we can help you get there, but for right now you are clearly in need of food and rest." He motioned to the tunnel behind him and cautiously the two officers followed.

"Do you trust them?"

"I don't see where we have much choice," Archer replied.

They followed Xipilli and listened as he told them about his people. The Gintare had existed in these caves for thousands of years. They were a race of farmers, though Archer and Danaë could not imagine how that was possible beneath the ground. It seemed that the subterranean plants they cultivated had more in common with earth's mushrooms and seaweed than in the vegetation growing above them on the surface of Dyfed. They also learned that their host had nine children with great hope for more. Polygamous, he had four wives and with the exception of his youngest bride, they had collectively given him six sons and three daughters. Among his people, his was considered a small family.

Talking with Xipilli they discovered that the Gintare knew of star ships and interstellar travel as well as various technologies from other cultures that had come to the planet before, but did not believe in partaking themselves. The Xindi had only arrived in the last year looking to mine kemocite for a project they were developing. Seeing the Xindi Reptilians, the Gintare had wanted no part of them and remained safely hidden below, silently keeping watch. The Reptilians managed to construct a building, but at great cost of life and limb to the Pahua. This proved to be too much and any hope of mining here ended, much to the relief of the Gintare. Instead they made a prison out of the outpost for holding captives until they could be moved again and added the magnetic field to ensure they couldn't escape.

Archer told Xipilli about the Xindi weapon and what they were using the Kemocite for. He then told him about the seven million lives that had already been lost and how they were attempting to build a larger weapon to finish the job. Xipilli narrowed his eyes at the idea.

"They seek to try and change the future by using the very hate they fear," he said to himself, then continued to guide them.

The captain and lieutenant continued down into the tunnels, uncertain of how deep they were going. To the humans every tunnel looked the same and at times they wondered if they weren't going in circles. One thing they had noticed was the deeper they went the more they saw the glowing quartz in various sizes, shapes and colors. The white ones proved to be the most illuminating. Entering one tunnel, Xipilli immediately warned them of loose rocks and unstable layers. This proved to be prophetic as some of the stones began to fall from their precarious positions. Archer quickly pulled Danaë out of the way and covered her with his own body.

"Are you okay, Dani?" Archer asked as he gently brushed the dirt and debris from her hair and face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?" she asked, carefully dusting him off in return.

"Yes." he answered. Their host watched the pair with his black emotionless eyes, noticing the care they took with each other, the soft looks and tender way in which they touched and spoke. He smiled slightly before reminding them that they needed to keep moving.

The next tunnel they entered was so small that they were forced to crawl through it on their hands and knees. On the other side of the tiny opening they found themselves completely in awe. Deep beneath the surface of Dyfed was a proverbial 'hanging gardens of Babylon'. Strange plants and vines filled the passageways to overflowing with flowers, fruits and vegetables like nothing they had ever seen. There were aqueducts moving water throughout the vegetation as well as numerous workers harvesting the food. Xipilli stopped and plucked two of the fruits from one of the branches and tossed them to Archer. They were large and brown like the seed pods that grew on various types of lilies on earth, but much larger. The captain turned and handed one to Danaë, but both were perplexed as to how to eat it. Their host plucked another then showed them a spot on one end where the skin could be grasped and peeled away revealing many small blue seeds that almost seemed to glow. Their taste was similar to a pomegranate and they almost seemed to melt in their mouths.

"This is only one of many such gardens," Xipilli said with a proud smile.

Following the four Gintare elders, they stepped through a wide opening onto a metal bridge. If they had thought the last room was large then they could not have imagined the place they entered. An immense, sprawling cavern lay before them with thousands of buildings dotting the landscape made from cuts of stone so precise that a piece of paper couldn't fit between them. Each structure was decorated with metal work and stained glass giving each a unique and ethereal air. Dwellings extended up the cliff sides and were connected by steel bridges, walkways and stairs. The entire place was illuminated by gigantic white glowing stones that jutted out of the ceiling. In the center was a lake, fed by numerous streams and creeks that snaked through the community as well as a waterfall on the far end of the colossal cavern. In the center of the lake was an island that boasted a stone platform in the middle.

Down the steel stairs and over a few bridges, they made their way into the city. As they passed by, the people stopped what they were doing and stared, whispering to each other about the two strangers. All the Gintare had large black eyes, but where the men were bald, females had long black hair, bound into a single braid that went down to their knees. The men of the village were dressed in the same style as their four escorts, but in simpler, plainer fabrics. The woman wore dresses made of simple material with flowing skirts and an empire waistline. It was held up by either a halter style neckline or by two wide straps that also covered their breasts. With their human features and matching Starfleet uniforms, it was hard for Danaë and Archer to not feel conspicuous as they walked down the path.

They came to a stone ledge on the north side of the city with several dwellings built beneath it and a creek babbling just in front. Crossing a small bridge, they came to a cottage that was round and covered in stained glass with a large decorative steel door that led into a small conservatory of sorts filled with fragrant flowers and a stone bench. They followed their host into a spacious and comfortable room with a single large finely detailed bed and brightly colored woven blankets. There was also a table with a metal stand holding one of the white glowing quartz stones and two chairs. There was only one other door and it led to a bathroom that seemed like a fairy's grotto with its delicate plants, glowing quartz basin and naturally forming pool of clear water. All of it was illuminated by a myriad of colored quartz. As they looked over their surroundings, two female Gintare came into the dwelling. One laid fresh clothes and towels on the bed while the other set a bowl of fruit and a pitcher of water on the table.

"Tomorrow we will take you to the facility that you seek, but tonight you will be our guests. Wash yourselves and eat. My wives will clean and mend your clothing. I hope what we offer is sufficient for you and your chosen female mate." Danaë and Archer looked at each shocked and uncomfortable at this implication.

"Uh, no, no, no," they both began talking at once trying to correct it. "She only works on the same ship with me."

"We only work together . . . He's my superior officer only . . ."

"There is nothing . . . nothing between us," they answered in nearly perfect unison. Xipilli's large black eyes studied them for a moment before a wide smile spread across his face giving his guests the distinct impression that he was not convinced.

"Tonight my people celebrate the beginning of a new year. I hope you will join us." They readily accepted his invitation. The last thing they wanted to do was offend the only ones willing to help them. "All you need to know is that any invitation to dance cannot be refused." The two humans looked at each other and assured their host that they understood before thanking him for his hospitality and all that he and his people had done.

"You can have the bed. I'll take the chair," Archer said as soon as the door was closed.

"You need your sleep more than I do."

"You're taking the bed, that's an order, lieutenant." He glanced out the window and watched the villagers as they went about their business. Danaë began to help herself to a piece of fruit from the bowl as the captain left the window and took up a towel and garments from the bed.

The water was surprisingly warm as he stepped in and began to wash himself. On one hand he was frustrated that they were trapped here rather than on the Enterprise moving forward with their mission. Yet this was also a welcome reprieve. Though it had only been a couple of months, it felt like an eternity since they had been explorers. As he stepped out of the water, movement caught his eye and he saw a Gintari female watching him. He quickly dove back into the water as she snatched up his uniform, giggled and quickly darted out of the room. Apparently they had their own curiosity about humans.

He dressed himself in the pants and shirt given to him and went back into the room to find a different Gintari female waiting patiently with a wooden box in her hands.

"I was sent to dress your wound," she told him gently. As Archer pulled his shirt off and sat down, Danaë gathered the other garment and towel and went to bathe. Having seen what happened to the captain she wisely tossed her uniform back into the room.

The woman set the box on the table then took from it a long roll of bandages and jar with a white paste inside. She was extremely gentle, as she took some of the white paste and pushed it into the open gash. He could tell that she was doing all she could to not hurt him, but Archer still winced several times.

"The pahua are filthy creatures and even those who manage to survive their attacks are often killed by disease. This will prevent any infection." Her voice was soft and her black eyes studied him intensely. "Your woman is beautiful."

"Yes she is, but she is not my woman. She is simply an officer on my ship," at his response, she seemed puzzled by this. "On Earth we do not own our women."

"Women are not property here either. All of us are equals. I am Xipilli's woman along with Shoshan, Celyn and Vered. We choose our mates, but once married we serve them dutifully and our men serve us in turn. For either party to do otherwise means severe punishment." She fastened the bandage around his arm then stood and put the jar of white paste back into the box. She smiled at him shyly then gathered up Danaë's uniform. "I told your woman how to dress your wound while you were bathing. It should be reapplied before you go to sleep as well as in the morning." She nodded timidly at him then quickly exited the dwelling. He flexed his arm, impressed with her doctoring. From the other room he suddenly heard Danaë call out to him and request the small throw blanket from the foot of the bed. He handed it to her and after a moment she stepped out with it wrapped like a shawl around her shoulders.

"Does the clothing not fit?" He asked.

"It fits, but I'm not usually so . . . out for all to see," she explained as she began to gently brush her hair. Archer slipped his shirt back on then sat back down and began to scroll through the Xindi database.

"Learning anything?" she asked.

"No, but I have to wonder what useful information is in there. We'll have to give this to Hoshi and see what she can find out," he responded as she pulled her locks back away from her face with her combs. "So what is your opinion of our hosts?"

"They seem like warm, welcoming and generous people, but I'm not prepared to give them all of my trust just yet."

"I'm starting to think you don't trust anyone completely," he said, watching her braid the long strands of curls.

"Not true. I can think of several people I would trust with my life." As she pinned her chignon in place at the nape of her neck she glanced over at Archer. He was looking back down at the device in his hand and didn't notice the way she looked at him. For all that she respected and admired her crewmates, there were only two people Danaë trusted with her life. The first was her father, Jean-Luc Picard, but her abduction two hundred years into the past had separated them forever. The other was Captain Jonathan Archer. Within his fine green eyes she could see a man who possessed a burning desire to explore. Despite the mission she could still see it, like a prayer, waiting for a day when they could return to that dream. I would follow you into hell if you asked, she thought to herself as she placed the last hair pin into position.

The moment was suddenly broken as loud horns blew across the cavern announcing the beginning of the festivities. The two left the cottage and began to follow the villagers to the center of the cave. On ledges high above the village were bonfires, their trails of smoke floating up through the many natural air shafts in the ceiling. Once at the lake they were ferried to the island where a large group of musicians were playing lively tunes to welcome the revelers. The Gintare and their two guests sat down in a circle along the edge of the island and watched as Xipilli took his place at the top of a tall stone platform in the center of the throng. He raised his hands and all the voices and music went silent.

" Lig dúinn a rá go dea-beannacht go dtí an bhliain d'aois!" It was at that moment that Danaë and Archer realized they had inadvertently left their universal translator back at the hut. Neither knew what their host was saying, but they could discern that it was the formal start to the night's festivities.

The music once more started up and the villagers began pairing into dance partners. The instruments were not unlike those used in medieval times on earth and the music was similar in style as well. Observing those around them, it quickly became apparent that females as well as males could choose a dance partner and did so in equal numbers. When one party wished to ask another to dance they would approach the other, extend one hand, slap it with the other and say 'damhsa' with great authority. Just as Xipilli said, no one ever refused the request. Danaë and Captain Archer would have been perfectly content to sit in the soft grass and observe, but their host suddenly appeared through the crowd and approached Danaë.

" Damhsa!" he said with a slap of his hands before her.

"Really . . . I don't know how . . ." she started to say.

"You can't refuse, remember?" Archer told her with a wry smile.

" Merde, " she said to herself as she took her host's hand and stepped into the group. Xipilli took the blanket she was wearing as a shawl and tossed it back to Archer before leading her in the dance. She attempted to duplicate the steps, but couldn't help stumbling a few times. She glanced over at her captain only to see him laughing at her. She might have become irritated at him, but a young female Gintari who was not much older than a child approached him.

" Damhsa!" she said to him with a clap of her hands. His smile was instantly gone and he didn't answer for a moment.

"Remember, captain, you can't refuse." This time it was her turn to laugh as he tried to follow the girl's lead. In truth Danaë was impressed, he was picking it up far easier than she was.

The next dance proved much easier as all the women linked their arms and formed a large circle that moved clockwise while the men did the same surrounding the women and moving counterclockwise. There were jigs, reels, chain dances and more. Both Captain Archer and Lt. D'Arcy were ready to collapse from exhaustion by the time the music stopped and everyone sat down to make way for the feast. Large wooden trays were carried to the center of the island boasting of delicious fruits, nuts and vegetables that the Gintare had harvested. Jugs of refreshment were also brought over and placed with the rest of the food. One clay jug stood out among the rest as it was the only one to be painted in a beautiful metallic red color. Plates of food were brought to each of the revelers along with tall mugs of cool water. When everyone had eaten their fill, the special red jug was opened and each man, woman and child was handed a crystal glass with a single ounce of a glowing yellow liquid, but no one drank it right away. Once more Xipilli stepped to the center of the group and lifted his glass high. Everyone lifted their glasses as well.

" Fortune uile sa Bhliain Nua!" he said. This was clearly a toast, though the humans were unsure of the exact meaning. All the revelers repeated his words then drank simultaneously. The potable was warm and tasted like sweet honey, though not as thick. After a few moments both humans began to notice that the great cavern seemed brighter and had more colors than they had noticed before. All their senses seemed heightened, from hearing to smell and taste. Xipilli followed the circle around and blessed each of the inhabitants, including his two guests. They then all rose and began to make their way back to their dwellings. Archer stood and extended his hand to Danaë. Picking up the make-shift shawl from the ground she took his hand and together they boarded a ferry. On the other side, Danaë suddenly started giggling to herself.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers
12