Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 03 - The War Ch. 08

Story Info
The First Day of Shore Leave.
4.3k words
4.89
1.4k
1

Part 9 of the 16 part series

Updated 09/16/2023
Created 06/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

That first day on Risa seemed like a dream that Archer had no desire to awaken from. They walked along the beach together talking first about unimportant matters such as the beauty of Risa, what activities they should try, where they should eat or if they were even hungry at all. Danaë even suggested a little rock climbing, a pastime they both enjoyed and seldom got to indulge in. She had heard that the view from atop Rina Summit was particularly breathtaking if you managed to traverse the shifting rocks.

This last idea was a tempting one and Archer gave it a few moments of serious thought. The last time he went climbing was after the Xindi conflict with Erika Hernandez. At the time he had wanted to get away from humanity and their constant desire to shake his hand and call him a hero. He had not been a hero then and he wasn't one now. At the time he had also entertained the notion of rekindling things with Erika and they had even kissed and joked about what Starfleet would say about them dating. Ultimately it was Captain Hernandez who would point out to Jonathan Archer that while he did have feelings for someone, it wasn't her.

Erika had been correct in her assessment. Although inappropriate and completely against regulations, Archer had fallen in love with Danaë. It was a relationship he had never planned on and one that was both complicated and frustrating. He had her here now though. For two days and two nights they could ignore the rules and their rank and just be themselves. At this thought a sparkle of mischief crept into the captain's tired green eyes as he looked down into Danaë's hazel ones.

"I don't doubt that the view on Rina's Summit is quite spectacular, but I think I'd rather enjoy the view right here."

"Oh?" The lieutenant smiled as the captain clasped both her hands in his.

"Besides, didn't you once tell me that you had a roommate at the academy that was from Risa and really had a thing for me?" This question elicited a suspicious and curious look from Lt. D'Arcy. "If she was half as pretty as the other Risian women then perhaps I should find her ancestors and introduce myself," he teased. At this, Danaë began to protest and pull away from him. Archer only laughed before bringing her closer and enveloping her in his arms and kissing her deeply.

Things could have easily gotten far more intimate right then and there if Danaë hadn't started to playfully push him away while giggling. She knew exactly what he was anticipating, and she was too, but for the moment she wanted to keep him waiting. Archer continued to steal small sweet kisses even as she reminded him that patience was virtue. He in turn reminded her that there was a war going on and they should make every moment count. This was logic she couldn't deny and even brought the echo of her father's words to mind: live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again. She truly intended to follow that sentiment by spending the next two days living fully at Jonathan's side. They would stand together in the open and hide to indulge their desires in a hotel room.

"We have two days and two nights, let's truly make this an adventure," she smiled, slipping the flute into a side pocket on her satchel and tossing her backpack over her shoulders before leading Archer off down the beach.

Where she led him was a twenty mile trail hike through Risa's lush green vegetation. Porthos had to be carried a couple of times, but still managed to wag his tail and enjoy the company of his two favorite humans. As they traversed the trail they found spectacular waterfalls and cliff side views that seemed to go on for miles. They saw trees that could dwarf the mighty redwoods and patches of wild flowers in bright vibrant colors. Some were small or on par with any flora found on Earth, while others were huge and could easily cover the entire helm of Enterprise with room to spare.

One flower, called Enfys, was the size of a rose and colored in every hue of the rainbow, its petals flawlessly blending from one shade into the next. No artist pallet ever looked prettier. Archer plucked one of the blooms and entwined it into the chignon Danaë wore at the nape of her neck. They saw a variety of animals scurrying through the forest and would softly point them out to each other. Some were as small as chipmunks and squirrels that roamed their own planet, but others were larger and while certainly majestic, they appeared far more lethal. Regardless of which, the pair wisely never disturbed any.

At the halfway point they happened upon a small restaurant tucked away inside a cave. Family owned and operated, it was an intimate place with less than a dozen tables and the chef worked off a large grill that was positioned in front of the patrons. A true culinary artist, the chef made an entire show out of his cooking, not only in the way he tossed his utensils and flipped the food, but also with the stories he told and jokes he recited. On top of all that, the food tasted amazing. While neither the captain nor the lieutenant knew what sort of animal a Cernunnos was, it tasted like elk and was cooked to utter perfection. The spicy seasoning mixed with an ever so slightly robust but sweet sauce made it practically melt in their mouths. The native vegetables that were served along with it had the perfect amount of sear that gave them just the right amount of crispness and smoky flavor. Even Porthos enjoyed his meal.

After they had eaten their fill, they continued down the trail, hand in hand as they hiked. All the while they talked about the future. Not what was going to happen with the Coalition, Starfleet or even the war, but rather the future of their relationship. Their hopes and their dreams. Both harbored the hope of being able to step out of the shadows and finally show the world how they felt about each other. They talked of marriage and even family, the latter being something that made the lieutenant rather nervous. Like her father, she had never been comfortable around kids and figured it was simply because she had never really been much of a child herself.

Even as they shared their dreams of tomorrow, Danaë already knew some of what the future held for the captain. By the time she would come to live with her father Jean-Luc Picard in the year twenty-three-sixty-eight, Archer's life had been a class taught at the academy for generations. Among the things it mentioned in the textbook was that he did have a wife and two sons. No where in the history she had studied did it mention who the lucky woman was though. This seemed to be the eternal mystery that historians longed to answer. Danaë harbored great doubts that it was her. In her mind she pictured someone who was not only beautiful, but could command a starship and possess a diplomatic background. She wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out to be a political alliance rather than a romantic one. In many respects, Archer was a man destined to be a king and as such he deserved to have a queen on his arm and that... that was simply not her.

Upon returning to Archer's hotel, they were each handed a flier advertising a tent theater performance of some play called 'Beneath the Tündér tree' and the teaser sounded like a combination of 'A Midsummer's night's Dream' and 'The Taming of the Shrew'. This mixture was intriguing and they both agreed they had to go, but not before a shower. Both were sweaty and filthy from the hike, as was Porthos, and both desperately needed a shower.

Archer suggested that they should share the shower, all in an effort to conserve water of course. Danaë just smiled and playfully admonished him with a wagging finger before pushing him towards the bathroom. His only protest was a groan of disappointment as she shut the door behind him. While he showered the lieutenant unpacked her backpack and in particular slipped out the gray and black striped dress she had worn four years prior in San Francisco. Laying it out on a chair she recalled the way he had lifted the skirt and taken her right there against the wall at the former ferry station. Smiling to herself she wondered just what he might do in the darkness of the theater.

After a short while, the captain emerged from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. Danaë went over and leaned in, breathing deeply and taking in the scent of the man and whispering the word 'nice' before snatching his towel and running off into the bathroom with it. Laughing, Archer turned and noticed the chair with the dress the lieutenant had laid out and his eyes twinkled. Yes, things were definitely going to get interesting before the night was over.

Truth be told, they had never had what one would call a real date. They had always been far too concerned with being caught in anything but a professional manner to have one. Even when they were on Earth they could only manage a quick supper before engaging in other intimate pursuits. The last time they had been on Risa the shore leave had been canceled so there had been no chance for them to be a normal couple. This time would be different, he was sure of it and dressed himself in a nice pair of slacks and a long sleeved shirt in anticipation of a quiet evening out. So far the entire day had been perfect and for the most part he had managed to forget all about the war. He was in the midst of combing his hair when the sound of his communicator chirping suddenly got his attention.

He had no idea who was contacting him or why, but he was certain that it could not be good news. The last time he had stepped foot on Risa and received a communication it was to let him know about Columbia's destruction. Every fiber of his being was telling him not to pick it up, not to respond. Nothing good could come of it. He closed his eyes and whispered for the chirping to stop, but of course it didn't. He stood there willing himself to ignore it, but deep down he knew that if there was even a small chance that one of his crewmen needed him then he had to do it. He had to.

"Archer here." He said, steeling himself against whatever news he was about to hear. Hoshi apologized for interrupting his shore leave, but Admiral Gardener wanted to speak to the captain directly. He assured her it was okay and to put the admiral through. Intently he listened as Gardner spoke, his eyes looking up as the lieutenant emerged from the bathroom dressed in a hotel bathrobe. Finding Archer on his communicator she immediately furrowed her brow in expectation of bad news. The clouds that had finally cleared from his eyes were gathering again for an even darker storm.

At the sound of the Admiral's voice, Danaë instinctively pulled her robe tighter around herself as if she was afraid he might see her. The conversation between the admiral and captain was far from good and Gardner hated to ruin the captain's two days of rest, but he felt that it was only right to tell Archer the news himself. It seemed that after four years and with no resolution in sight, the delegates of Andoria, Vulcan and Tellar had decided to meet and discuss the future of the Coalition of Planets. Both men agreed that more than likely they were disbanding and returning to how things were before Earth's involvement. Hearing this, The storm clouds brewing in Archer's eyes grew darker and the lieutenant was certain she could see flashes of lightning.

"Jon," she said, trying to bring him back to the man he had been a few moments before. "This war will not go on forever." This was something she could say with confidence. Being born two-hundred and thirty years in the future, she was familiar with the Earth-Romulan War and while she knew its outcome, she had no real knowledge of exact battles or maneuvers that turned the tide, nor did she know the exact date. Archer had no idea how much she did or didn't know, but knowing she was from a future time had often given him a measure of hope, but not this time.

"When?" he growled.

"What?"

"When does it end?" he asked. "If you know then tell me."

"Even if I knew that date, which I don't, you know I couldn't tell you," she was right and he knew it, but that didn't make it any less frustrating. He turned and tossed the communicator onto a nearby table, praying it would break into a thousand pieces. She understood his frustration, but she really didn't have the answers that he wanted and even if she did she couldn't risk altering the future. "Forget about the Coalition and forget about Starfleet and let's just enjoy this evening and each other."

"Bastards," Archer growled, not even hearing her suggestion.. "The sad part is, I can't really blame them. What victories have we had? The Romulans have bigger ships, stronger guns and more of them."

"Believe me, they are not as powerful as you seem to think they are," Danaë explained. She still couldn't tell him what would happen to the Romulans but she did want him to know that ultimately they were their own worst enemies. "In fighting us rather than seeking peace, they have signed the death warrant for generations not even born yet."

"Good!" Archer snapped then immediately regretted what he said. It was wrong and he knew it was wrong. He really didn't want them to die, just an end to this war or at least an understanding of why it had to happen. It was not like him at all, it was not the man he was or wanted to be and he could see that the woman before him was shocked by it too. "I didn't mean that. I didn't... it's just..." He fell to his knees and as Danaë approached and knelt down she could see tears in his eyes. "I don't want to give anymore eulogies. I've already done thousands. T'Pol once told me I shouldn't take offense because not every species has motives that can be understood in Human terms, but my God. What the hell do they want from us? Is it something I've done? If it is then they can have me, but stop the senseless killing. Why do they hate us so much? Where is this rage coming from?"

"I don't know, maybe jealousy... maybe they're afraid. You may not have seen them or even heard of them, but they have been watching you and all humanity since the moment you took that first step outside of your own galaxy. Those untried, arrogant yet naive humans that shouldn't have been able to make it to the edge of the Milky Way, somehow made it all the way to Qo'noS and survived. You have managed to broker peace between the Andorians, Vulcans and the Tellarites. As long as those three were fighting then no one was paying attention to them. You, Jon, walked right through the very walls that they have been hiding behind for ages." She looked deep into his eyes and could see the emotional pain, the hatred, anger and tiredness swirling around and mixing with his tears. "Let it go, Jon... let it go. I don't know how deep the darkness is within you, but murder will never be justice. Revenge will never bring back lost friends or crewmen. It can only further kill the dreamer and idealistic captain that you once were." Archer looked at her doubtfully. "Yes, he is still in there."

"I don't think he is." For a moment he closed his eyes and sighed. "I'm not sure there is any place left in all of space where life means anything."

"There are plenty of places and you will find them. I'll be there with you when you do." Gently she caressed his face and ran her fingers through his hair to comfort him. "Right now you need to rest and let your mind, heart and soul heal."

"Rest? I haven't really slept in a long time," he replied. "All I ever see is images of Romulan Warbirds destroying us." Archer looked at Danaë and brushed his thumb along the tell-tale dark circles beneath her own lovely hazel eyes. "You don't look like you're getting any more sleep than I am."

"Insomnia. It's the Picard way," she responded with a smirk, trying to brush it off.

"I think you're still having headaches and nightmares," he asserted.

"The long hours are just getting to me. The stress of war," she assured him, trying her best to keep him from worrying over something neither could help.

"Perhaps we both need to work off some stress," he suggested as he rested his forehead against hers, his lips hovering an inch or so above her mouth. Archer reached out and tugged the sash on the front of her robe allowing it to fall open. As he suspected there was nothing beneath it and the sight was quite fetching. On her body he could see the scars from past battles and from her many travels on Earth and he loved every one of them. She was utter perfection in his eyes.

His hands gripped her waist then he slipped the tips of his fingers just over the top of her rear end feeling her warm soft skin. She wrapped her arms around his neck and held him against her. It had been far too long since they had allowed themselves the pleasure of holding each other or even being close. There would be no theater performance, what they needed was not to be found on a stage or in the crowds. They needed to find themselves and feel again. To reach out and touch that spark and rediscover the people they had once been

"Anything in particular you have in mind?" Danaë responded playfully as she felt him slide her terry cloth robe off her shoulders, then down her arms onto the floor.

"Help me bring back the man I was," he breathed in her scent then continued, "Help me find life again.."

Not waiting another second, he claimed her mouth with his. It felt so good to have her in his arms again. Four years was far too long to put a relationship on hold and was just one more reason he wished this war was over. Right now he didn't want to hear about Romulans, battles plans, ambassadors or even Starfleet. All he wanted to think about was the woman in his arms and what was happening right this moment. They were two stars coming together, inexorably drawn by their respective centers of gravity towards a beautiful and devastating destination.

He lifted Danaë up, enjoying the feel of her strong legs wrapped around his waist, and carried her over to his bed. She barely landed on the bedding before Archer had snicked off his clothing and thrown them aside. As he climbed onto the bed his fingers plunged between her thighs savoring the feel of her heat and wetness. Yes, she wanted him as much as he wanted her. At least on Risa there was very little chance they would be caught. They would be able to take their time and relish every touch and movement.

Their respective ranks as well as Starfleet's rules and regulations had forced them to live with certain barriers, but they weren't there now. Here and now was a chance to finally release all the pressure that had been building for so long, threatening to destroy the small piece of heaven they had found in each other. Archer took hold of Danaë's hips and swiftly plunged himself inside of her. A momentary gasp of pleasure escaped him at the feel of being inside her, and knowing that each and every barrier that normally kept them apart was gone. She was hot, wet and everything he craved as though she had been designed for him and him alone. Perhaps she was, just as he was meant for her.

In her arms he was whole again. That hope, that spark of optimism that seemed lost suddenly felt tangible again. It had been so long since he had allowed himself to feel anything beyond frustration and despair. Having her here seemed to silence the demons in his head that kept him up most nights. Making love to her, feeling her body undulate beneath his, skin against skin, everything became right. He was safe, confident, he felt strong and more like the man he used to be before years of conflict had started tearing at his soul. Once he had promised to be there to help her fight against her own demons of PTSD and depression, but she helped him too. Archer often wondered if she knew how much he depended on her for his own peace of mind.

Their bodies moved, silently offering themselves over and over to each other while also taking all they desired. There was nothing but the taste of her kisses, hot on their lips as their tongues danced. A breeze blew in through the open balcony doors that smelled rich, earthy, warm and exotic all at one, like the fragrance of sandalwood on their own planet. It mingled with the smell of their sweat, heightened their senses and made their sexual appetites all the more intense. Pleasure planet indeed.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers
12