Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 03 - The War Ch. 12

Story Info
The Mission Begins.
3.5k words
4.95
1.2k
1

Part 12 of the 16 part series

Updated 09/16/2023
Created 06/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

White cotton tank top? Check. Khaki capri cargo pants? Check. Razor sharp D'K Tahg in its sheath strapped to her back for easy access? Check. Phase pistol, holstered and strapped to the belt around her waist? Check. Modified tricorder? Check. Lt. Danaë D'Arcy was ready to embark on the mission. She hoped, anyway. She had woken up before her alarm clock and rather than allow her to roll over and go back to sleep, her stomach decided it needed to expend what little contents it had. A cup of Earl Grey tea had made it right again and she vowed she would pay Dr. Phlox a visit when... If she came back.

Satisfied she had everything she needed, she began her long walk to the transporter. Normally such a walk took maybe five minutes at most if she was in no hurry. This day should have been no different, but the weight of everything that was riding on this mission, the knowledge that six lives were in her hands made it feel so much longer and every step heavier. When she arrived half her team was already there waiting and the cloaks they needed to wear were laying next to the transport platform ready to go. She stared at the transporter marveling at how small it was. On her father's ship they could beam at least a dozen crewmen, but on this ship and this time they could only beam two at a time, but that was fine. The location was secure enough.

The last three team members arrived with Trip, Malcolm and Archer close behind. There would be no backing out now. The captain's hands were behind his back as though he were trying to nervously occupy his hands or conceal something. Both Malcolm and Trip checked each member of the ground team to make sure they had their communicators and phase pistols then handed each one a bag loaded with explosive charges, making sure they wore it across their body so it would be hidden by the cloaks. When the others were satisfied then Archer stepped forward and visually inspected each team member. The captain was slow and thorough as he moved from one person to the next before finally coming to Lt. D'Arcy. His face was grave and his soft green eyes piercing as he stared down at the lieutenant, pushing away every emotion that was pulsing through him.

Taking his hands out from behind his back, Archer brought out a cloth bundle that he began to unwrap. Extending his arm out to Danaë thought for a moment he was throwing aside everything to have one final embrace. This she would have loved, but instead he threw the cloth aside and instead strapped an object to her belt next to her phase pistol. Glancing down she was stunned. It was the phaser from her own future time. He had taken it away from her that night in the captain's mess when she had nearly ended her own life.

"Set that thing to kill. That's an order, lieutenant." He stepped back and looked at the team "All of you set your phase pistols to kill. If the Romulans discover you, they will not hesitate to kill you. The second you beam down you will be taking all your orders from Lt. D'Arcy. She is the one who is going to get in and get out as quickly as possible. There is no room for error. If it looks like you won't succeed then get back to the rendezvous point or at least to the outer tunnels and we can beam you to safety. Once you have sent us the codes to the drone ships make your way to the outer tunnels and immediately contact the ship so we can get you out of there. Every second of this mission counts and I don't think I need to tell you just how dangerous it is. Everyone on this ship is counting on you and will be waiting every minute to hear from you."

"By the clock then," Danaë said. It was their code phrase for 'I love you' and harkened back to their many meetings beneath the clock tower that stood at the San Francisco wharf. Archer looked at her, his countenance was still grave, but eyes became sad and pained.

"By the clock."

Lt. D'Arcy picked up her cloak and held it in her arms as she stepped onto the transporter platform. Maj. Forrest did the same. As the major turned around to face the others, Archer approached him. Just before they were going to activate the transporter, the lieutenant leapt from the platform and ran back to Archer. From one of her pockets she pulled out the envelope with the letter she had written him the night before safely sealed inside. She slipped it into his hands, a soft smile playing on her lips.

"You'll know when to read this and drink my Chateau Picard for me." She turned and went back to the transporter and as she did, the captain approached Maj. Forrest. The two men stared at each other. Archer's green gaze was cold and menacing as he looked into Nathan's stoic and unimpressed blue ones.

"Your failure is not an option," he reminded the major in a low voice.

"Understood captain."

Captain Archer stepped off the platform then went over and stood next to Lt. Reed at the transporter console, his back to the team. He had to give the order and like removing a bandaid it would be best done quickly. Taking a breath he turned around and signaled his security officer to beam the lieutenant and major down to the planet surface. Instantly the two crewmen's bodies erupted in a flurry of tiny sparkling blue lights and then nothing. After a second Lt. D'Arcy's voice came across the captain's communicator letting them know they arrived and to send the next two members of the team.

When the team arrived on the plant surface it was dusk. This time was chosen because on Romulus no prostitute was allowed to be seen peddling her wares in the light of day. The ground they were standing on was a flat sandy area on the bank of a river at the bottom of a canyon. All around were tall cliffs that the rushing water had cut its way through for countless millennia. Lt. D'Arcy could remember trekking through this canyon in her twenties so she could visit the remains of the Romulan control center and recalled the beauty of the tall red naturally chiseled cliffs towering over them. Even now, at dusk they were still majestic.

Turning to the six men that had joined her, Danaë once more went over every detail of how they were to move and act. They had practiced many times, but it was something that she couldn't stress enough. In particular she reiterated that under no circumstances were any of them to utter a single word. If they spoke then the translator would be identified and they would be caught instantly. Not to mention that none of them, besides herself, knew Romulan. Their inability to understand or answer would also give them away. What she had not told anyone was that she was relying heavily on her own knowledge of the Romulan world from her own time. Donning their capes, they looked at each other in silent recognition of the cost that they most likely would be paying before the mission was over.

"I was never gifted with the ability to make grand eloquent speeches or say inspiring words. I always wished I could. What I do know is that for four years the Romulan's have been decimating us at every turn. If they succeed they will crush beneath their feet a wonderful and amazing future that those of us living now cannot even fathom. We are only six against hundreds, but we have in our power right now the ability to take a stand and draw the line right here in the sands of Cheron. Today we turn the tides of this war and make that future a reality for generations that know us not and we cannot even imagine. With each and every step we take today we claim a small victory until we succeed in seizing our greatest. Gentlemen." The lieutenant put out her hand and they all clasped then pulled their hoods over their heads and affixed the full face masks over their human faces. They crossed their arms so that they were hidden by the long flowing sleeves, then the men took up their places in formation: three men on one side and three on the other with Lt. D'Arcy standing in the center.

Together they moved in perfect unison, just as they had rehearsed, following the well trodden path through the canyon. Nervous? The vast numbers that comprised the monarch butterfly migration paled compared to the fluttering going through the seven individuals on this mission. In order to go undetected they were forced to beam down a safe distance away which was about five kilometers. Physically fit, they probably could have jogged it in less than thirty, but they had to play this cautiously. That meant having to walk it all and in formation without deviating just in case they were spotted before they approached the tunnel's east entrance.

It was ten minutes before the hour when they came in sight of the large metal doors that were built into the rock face. Standing before it were two guards, young, proud and ready to defend their strong hold. This was it, the moment they had been preparing for. Continuing to bow their heads, they approached, swallowing their nerves and forcing their breath to be steady. They had to exude confidence so as not to be discovered. As expected, the guards immediately blocked the entrance and demanded their names and clearance.

"Hveolhaonn am, Phile. Hveolhaonn khallia iudaiht sk mosvahuus iudaiht taeth head hvaedroalh house hru'hfirh Cethin. [ I am, Phile. I seek to give pleasure to my lord Cethin.]" The lieutenant purred then recited the clearance code given to them by the Vulcan spy Skon. One of the guards checked the information, a tense few moments, before stepping aside and letting them pass through the doors into the tunnels.

They had gone over the tunnel maps what seemed like a thousand times and knew exactly what direction to go. Even still, they placed directional beacons so they could find their way out later. Right, right, straight, left, so many twists and turns before they came to a large door that was a bit more decorative than the others they had passed. Nathan pressed the button next to it then they waited.

"Plere! [Enter]" said a clear, precise and commanding voice. A moment later, the door slid open allowing the seven humans to enter.

The quarters they stepped into had two personal guards at every door, a detail they expected. The interior was sparsely furnished which the lieutenant knew was very much in line with this species style. What furnishings there were, were highly decorated and bespoke just how high a ranking member of the government Cethin was. Here was the man who held the second most powerful position on Romulus. The only one he had to answer to was the Praetor himself and it showed in every finely carved detail of his couch, chairs and even the artwork on the walls.

As for the man, he was seated in a large arm chair with his elbows resting on the arms and each of his fingertips touching each other like a spiderweb before him. Like Vulcans, his people aged slower than humans and if Lt. D'Arcy had to guess she would have said he was a quarter past the hundred mark. His head was bald, an unusual trait for his species, but still occasionally seen. His eyes were shrewd and narrow, bleeding with power and arrogance beneath the heavy forehead ridges of his people. His thin lips seemed cold and nothing in his expression hinted that he had ever felt even the smallest pang of kindness or warmth.

Rising from his chair, Cethin smiled as he approached the lieutenant standing in the middle of the entourage, her head bowed. His narrow eyes glowed with carnal hunger as his hands moved over her firm round bottom. "Eaha aellei firm. Ieiuqh lhiet 'hh fhheihh aellei s faehor iudaiht uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n plucked [sweet and firm. Your fruit is ripe and ready to be plucked.] Listening to such overtures, Danaë was grateful that no one in her party understood Romulan or could see her blushing. When she had read the intel about this man the things that stood out the most was not just his taste for women, he had had many, including the wives of his subordinates, but in particular he liked young virgins and he was powerful enough to get what he wanted.

Believing her to be one of his conquests he leaned in close, his head inches from hers. He whispered to her, instructing her to do all that her lord asked. Carefully he took her hand and pressed it against his sex which was clearly aroused. The lieutenant drew her hand away. Undeterred, Cethin assured her that there was nothing for her to be afraid of. He was a skilled lover and would play her body like a fine instrument until she cried out in pleasure. His hand started to move around to Danaë's stomach and dangerously close to discovering the bag of explosive charges. Quickly she caught hold of his hand and held it tightly.

"Taeth head hvaedroalh house hru'hfirh, aeh iebhe ueiik'h'unhr ueiik'h'unhr hra'nuar hvaedroalh ieiuqh guards. Hveolhaonn sseu hwiiy, [My lord, please not in front of your guards. I beg you,]" she said, feigning shyness.

Cethin laughed at this and commented that any nervousness or timidity would be gone once he had filled her and made her a complete woman. Once again she asked for the guards to leave, citing anxiety due to her lack of experience. The Romulan laughed again then went over to his bar and poured a glass of ale. He boasted to his guards how the shy ones were always the most fun because there was nothing to equal the look in their eyes as he broke their seal for the first time. Listening to the pompous bastard was beginning to make the lieutenant physically ill, but she would not give in and blow her cover.

There was a tense moment of silence as it looked as though the guards would not be sent away. Danaë started to try and come up with a back-up plan. Perhaps they would be able to subdue the guards, but that was iffy. Taking another sip of ale, Cethin suddenly broke the silence and ordered each of his private guards to not only leave, but to go down to the lounge and enjoy some leisure time. One advised against it, but was quickly dismissed. After-all, since when did sex require guards?

Once they had left the Romulan leader turned and presented the cloaked lieutenant with a glass of ale. Politely she took it then swifty threw it into his face then followed it up with her fist causing him to fall backward. The six men with her instantly drew their phase pistols and leveled them on their captive before slipping back their hoods and revealing who they were.

"Taome aigre inhiudh wok ueiik'h'unhr ieiuqh esaahenen khinain'yhfev s'lloann'mhrahel khfi? [How many men work in your control center?]" Danaë demanded. He refused to answer, preferring to glare at her with eyes blazing with hate. In response, the lieutenant reached behind her back and unsheathed her D'K Tahg, placing it at the root of his manhood. "Dhroi ahefvi nah'lai hveolhaonn htaodt'ia'rhoinnie rhae. [Answer me or I will start cutting.]

"Reh. [Seven.]" Cethin hissed.

"Ve hwiiy ecurai iudaiht thiich aellei imirrhlhhse hlun, hveolhaonn faeond hwiiy raed'aeusnnta'jhiy daegnusev ru hveolhaonn hrhae. [If you hope to live and fuck again, I suggest you do exactly as I say.]"

What other choice did Cethin have? The Lieutenant told him what he had to do then the humans once more donned their cloaks and hoods then together they left the quarters and began the long walk to the control room. Danaë held his arm with her right hand all snuggled up to him as though she were truly a besotted mistress. In reality she was holding her 24th century phaser in her left hand against his side out of sight from anyone they passed. The caverns were extensive and with so many intricate passages, it would be easy to get lost. Just like when they first passed through the east entrance, one of the team members left a beacon so they could find their way back out.

The control room was dark with the only illumination coming from screens and strips of light indicating walkways and gaps between wall panels. Following Lt. D'Arcy's instructions, Cethin began to tell her and her group all about the nerve center of the drone ships and how they worked while also locking the door behind them. In doing so, he had at least put some space between himself from the phaser.

With the door now secure the team threw their hoods back and brought their phasers out into the open, then speaking in Romulan, Danaë ordered all of them to leave their stations and seat themselves against the wall. They did, and while the rest of the team covered them, the Lieutenant took her tricorder from her pocket and began wiring it into the Romulan system. This was not so straightforward and eventually she had to go as far as to remove a panel and wire it in. The screen of her tricorder lit up like a Christmas tree and a thousand bits of information began to appear. One by one she sifted through codes and information trying to find that needle in the haystack. The information was endless but their time was not.

Five minutes passed, then ten. Seeing the frustration on her face, Cethin smirked, then informed her that whatever it was she was looking for, she would never find it, nor would they ever make it out of this room, let alone the tunnels, alive. While she knew that he was probably right, the last thing she wanted to do was show her hand. Instead she smiled and began to quote John Milton's 'Paradise Lost'

"Ehri 'hh iebhe lost, ehdhihss unconquerable htaodt'ia'rhoinnie, aellei iridhi hvaedroalh ra'khoi, daeinos plaaere, aellei ehdhihss courage fvi iudaiht submit nah'lai bont. [All is not lost, the unconquerable will, and study of revenge, immortal hate, and the courage never to submit or yield.]"

Back on the ship things were not going as smoothly as planned. Far from. After beaming the team down, they had been noticed by a warbird that was now batting them around like a cat toy. Archer didn't need to be reminded that his weapons were inferior to the Romulans, but they were determined to make it apparent over and over. They weren't even trying to hit vital parts of the ship. They just seemed to be enjoying the idea of toying with them. Archer hated to admit it, but he was glad. If they were playing with him like that up here then they probably didn't know about the landing party. Only problem was that, like a cat, they could turn lethal at any moment.

The trick was keeping the Enterprise in the 'sweet spot'. Not so close that they would feel threatened enough to blow them to pieces, but not so far as to let them think they had given up and were retreating. They returned fire at every opportunity, but every target had to be a vital one. When you are out gunned you have to make your shots count and Lt. Reed did. At least they were only dealing with one rather than two or an entire fleet. They hadn't called in the drones either, which was good.

If Lt. D'Arcy managed to get the codes and they were able to take control of the drones, then even better. Unfortunately the team was deep enough underground that there was no way to know if they were successful or even still alive. He was just going to have to wait and hope for the best while taking hits. What other choice did he have? Due to the nature of the mission he couldn't just leave and wait in a safer place. There was no telling how long it would take the team on the ground to get to the control room or hack the codes if they did get there. At any time they could contact them and either send up the data or request a beam up. He had to stay put and be ready... at least as long as there was a chance of rescuing the seven members on the ground. Come on, come on, Dani, Archer thought to himself. We can't take much more of this and I don't want to leave any of you behind.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers