Starlight Gleaming Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Volunteers? How many are we talking about? And how are we getting them to the hangar?"

My aide said, "Sergeant Chita said she has it worked out, Lieutenant."

* * * * *

Corporal Meba was among the volunteers. I put my hands on my hips. "Corporal, you have cracked ribs and are on restricted duty. No lifting. Exactly how are you planning to help us move?"

"You have children, sir. I can help watch them while others are busy working."

She had me there. "Nicely done, Corporal. Now, what should we do about getting you–"

Around the corner came the bus loaded with women, followed by Corporal Trank and Private Hodan in the unit's second sedan-style ChoCac. Behind that was a supply transport, driven by Sergeant Kitam. The rest of his crew were aboard, with lumber and assorted construction supplies.

I walked over to Sergeant Kitam, looking up at him in the passenger seat. I noticed our volunteers boarding the bus.

Grinning, he nodded to me. "Lieutenant."

"Sergeant? Care to explain?"

"Your Sergeant Chita said that since we were dropping off supplies later, we might help transport furniture, since it was on the way and all. After we drop off the supplies, we'll finish the assessment of the building modification. I'll take measurements tomorrow to draft up the construction plans. We'll be out of your hair inside a couple of hours tonight. So if you'll lead the way, Lieutenant, we're ready to get the show on the road."

"Indeed. Well, I guess I better get going." To my mind, Sergeant Chita had outdone herself.

I hopped into the HueCac and flipped the power switch. Sowitwee climbed into the passenger seat. I headed toward Hangar Thirty-Six at the airfield. Behinds us came a bus full of women of the Air Service, one security cruiser with two of my people, and a mobile engineer unit driving a transport half-filled with supplies.

When I pulled up outside the open bay doors, several women promptly unloaded from the bus, and Kitam's crew of five opened up the back of their transport. I looked for Calia, Ixma, and my girls. Ixma and Calia were there, directing the newcomers. A steady stream of workers worked quickly, and inside of ten minutes, six beds, four wardrobes, four dressers, and the camping supplies were loaded up into the transport. Inside the ChoCac, Anton sat in the driver's seat, and beside him sat Doyya, with the girls in their safety seats. The cargo area appeared to be filled with stacks of clothing.

Once the hangar was emptied, Calia got in beside Doyya, and Anton backed out. Ixma started closing the bay doors. Grateful to be doing something, I lent her a hand.

Once it was secured, we headed out the back and she locked the door. Ixma grinned at me. "Did we surprise you?"

"Totally. How long did this take you?"

"Only a couple of hours. Sergeant Chita and Calia did the organizing." She pulled me down for a quick kiss. "Now get going! You are supposed to lead us to our new home."

Chagrinned, I nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

Ixma climbed into the rear seat of my ChoCac behind Anton, beside my girls. I got into the HueCac and headed toward 1210 Cirrus Drive. Anton pulled out behind me, followed by the rest of the caravan.

To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. Emptying out the hangar and closing everything up had taken maybe twenty minutes. If that. Apparently I had more allies than I realized. Within a few minutes we were parked in front of our new home.

Waiting nearby was another supply transport – this one from the Commissary – and Sergeant Neela.

The bus disgorged people and supplies were carried inside.

Construction supplies and the camping gear were taken into the garage. Beds were carried to rooms and quickly set up. With the power tools of the mobile engineers, it was short work. Dressers and mobile wardrobes followed. The second supply transport had more loads of supplies. Two refrigerators, an upright freezer, kitchen supplies, a dining set, several chairs, and there was Calia and Ixma merrily laughing away at me as five couches were unloaded and carried inside!

Amid all the orderly chaos were two small girls running about, laughing in delight, and Corporal Meba and two privates trying to keep up with them. It like trying to herd cats.

After I signed for the deliveries from the Commissary, Sergeant Neela brought me keys to the house. Ten sets. I added one to my work keys. I thanked her, and she just smiled, taking in all the people moving in and out of the house, carrying things inside. "It's worth it to see all these people working together. You must be doing something right. It's been a real pleasure, Lieutenant." Then she me surprised by boarding the empty bus herself!

I had expected the whole process to take us several hours, and maybe even to midnight or later. I think it was two hours, from when we left work until the last package was unloaded into our new home.

Right after the Commissary delivery crew left, Sergeant Kitam and his crew also finished with their unloading. Sergeant Kitam would be back at lunch the next day to take his measurements, and in three days they would begin construction. Waving, the engineers left. Then without ado, the nearly two score women passed me by, saying goodnight as they loaded back onto the bus.

At the end of line was Sergeant Chita.

"Sergeant."

"Yes, sir?"

"All this, Chita? I appreciate it greatly, but you didn't have to do this."

She gave me a measuring look. "Yes, sir, actually, we did. I received dozens of thanks for the baskets of fruit you passed around to our people and to the rest of the 917th. Besides, all of us riding this bus wanted to do something to show our gratitude to the man – our commanding officer – who is making things better and safer for us. We work together, Lieutenant. Llam nuqan."

Suddenly the women on the bus shouted out from open windows, "Llam nuqan! Llam nuqan, Lieutenant Kandikan!" Then they cheered. Sergeant Chita boarded, and as it drove away, the women waved and yelled out goodnight. I must have looked overwhelmed.

Corporal Trank and Private Hodan, who'd dropped off Doyya, looked at me and roared with laughter as they followed the bus.

I turned and looked at the house. Sowitwee stood on the covered porch. In the doorway with him stood Calia and Ixma beamed at me, as Sisi and Mina tried to climb up their arms. Behind them stood Doyya and Anton, watching and nodding at me.

Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out keys. One each to Sowitwee, Ixma, Calia, Doyya, and Anton, who looked surprised.

"Master Kandikan? I will only be here a few more days, I think?"

"Probably. Give it to Ixma or Captain Tlacotli when you leave. But until then, you should have free access."

"Thank you, Master Kandikan."

"Come on inside, Ranji," Calia urged. "Dinner's on the table and getting cold."

I blinked, then nodded. I thought I had smelt something during the unloading, but dismissed it as being from one of the neighboring houses.

Herding me inside, they led me to the dining room, where ten matching chairs surrounded a large table. On plain table cloth were dinner plates and silverware all laid out, the just-opened boxes piled on nearby counters. Several food boxes bearing the Commissary logo sat in the center of the table with ladling spoons. Bottles of water, juice, and a couple of cold beers.

The dining set itself was striking, being a light-colored wood offset with dark trim. I asked Calia about the wood.

"It's called oak, from the Seven Nations. The edging is kingwood, from Je State, in the Empire," she replied, passing a full plate to Anton. Ixma helped the girls to wash and got plates for them, too. There was even a high chair for Mina and a booster for Sisi.

"Very pretty," I commented. "Good choice."

The meal itself was a happy occasion, and everyone ate too much, myself included.

Afterward, Anton and Sowitwee helped move things. Calia and Ixma worked on unpacking and sorting, made a list of important home things that were still missing, then kept adding to it as they worked through the rest of the evening.

Three of the couches ended up in the living room, with two large reclining chairs around two adjoining coffee tables. I sat on one of the chairs with Sisi and Mina, reading them stories. Doyya sat nearby, listening, and in no time, she was out. Mina snuggled and she was out shortly after. Sisi kept me busy, asking questions about animals on the tablet. My voice was getting a little hoarse after reading aloud the seventh story.

The next thing I knew, Ixma was gently shaking my shoulder. "I hate to wake you, you looked so cute with the girls sleeping beside you, but I thought we should sleep in the bed."

Wiping my eyes, I nodded, then stretched. Calia and Ixma, already dressed for bed, picked up the girls. I stumbled upstairs after them.

* * * * *

In the morning, I got up and prepared for a run. My calf still ached, but I needed the exercise. I put on my shoulder holster with my Talon and spare clips. Lanyard under my tee shirt. Phone into my pocket. I stretched on the porch, then set out for a jog, then a run. Twenty minutes out, my alarm went off, so I turned around and headed back.

By the time I got back, I was hobbling as my lower leg seared with pain. I needed to take care of it.

Upstairs in the master bath, I started up the hot water, pleased by the water pressure and how fast the water grew warm, then hot. I looked around at the bare counters. Just then, Calia came in, handing me some soap and shampoo, then setting a large towel on the counter for me.

I shook my head. "You knew what I needed, didn't you. Thank you, Calia."

"Summer Class B uniform today?"

I paused before stepping into the shower stall. "How do you know what that is?"

"Ranji, Ixma and I have been talking for two days. We'll get the clothes into the closets after you leave for work, and do more unpacking." She gave my naked body an appreciative glance. "Best get in Ranji or I'll have no choice but to join you."

Closing the glass door, I began to wash. "I wish I had the time, Calia."

"Will you be here for lunch?"

"I thought about it."

"Good, because you spend some more time with Ixma. Even if it's quick."

"I'll bear that in mind."

"Have you scheduled a look at your leg yet?"

I poked my head out, looking at her.

"Sergeant Chita is worried, and frankly, so are we. Besides, your leg looks a little swollen." She narrowed her gaze at me. "Don't make me have to fight with you about it."

I resumed washing. "I'll take care of it," I promised.

"We'll have your breakfast ready soon. I love you, Ranji Kandikan."

"I love you, too, Calia."

As she left, I washed quickly, dried off, then headed to the master bedroom. Finding a clean uniform in the closet, I pulled my patches and grade pins from the dirty one. I had no idea where my spares were. Hopefully that would resolve soon.

Dressed, I limped downstairs.

Ixma placed my breakfast and a hot cup of cahault onto the table. The chocolate coffee tasted good. Calia topped off my thermos and sat it next to me. My daughters were already eating their breakfast. Mina played with her food as she ate. Sisi hummed as she chewed. First Ixma and then Calia kissed Sisi on her cheek as they took care of breakfast for everyone, and she grinned happily.

"Morning, girls," I said before scooping up the eggs and vegetables into my mouth.

"Hi, 'Tenant," Sisi glanced up, then returned to eating her food.

Ixma sat down between Sisi and Mina, and began spooning up food for Mina, talking to her and praising her. At two, she should be able to somewhat feed herself, but I let it go. Every child develops at their own rate, and besides, both girls had had their share of emotional shocks. Hopefully, that was all behind them now. And, I reminded myself, they needed that time together to help nurture their own emotional bonds.

Doyya and Sowitwee showed up, and Calia served them plates, too.

I looked at my watch. "Half an hour before it's time to go," I warned them.

"Yes, sir," they both acknowledged.

Calia leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek before sitting down. Sisi grinned at her.

"Corporal, do you know what time your wife is due to be released today?"

"In the afternoon, I think, Lieutenant."

I nodded. "That'll work out then. Janetta should be able to come home today, too. Calia, have you or Ixma worked with the house computer yet?"

Both shook their heads.

Getting up, I said, "Calia, come with me. You can show Ixma later today how to access the computer and get her registered. Doyya, Sowitwee, join us please."

Upstairs, in the master bedroom, I found the release, and part of the wall slid away, revealing a monitor, camera, and key pad. "AI, confirm identity."

A laser light flicked out and centered on my face. A masculine voice spoke. "Senior Lieutenant Ranji Kandikan, Imperial Air Service. Voice print confirmed. Retinal scan confirmed. Access granted."

"Grant full user access to Calia of House Kandikan, Personal Servant. Step over here, Calia, so it can scan your eyes. Then speak your name so it can register your voice print."

She did as I bid. Then I had Sowitwee and Doyya also entered into the system.

Then I informed the AI that repeating "madad," the Vedan word for 'help' three times in a row meant to immediately notify me, Sublieutenant Lovyanchiti, Sergeant Yalcamara, and Sergeant Chita. And, if there was an unauthorized attempt to access the computer, to do the same. To end an alert, the phrase "sab-saaf," meaning 'all clear,' was to be appended to any instructions to stand down from an alert, and if the phrase was omitted, the AI was to ascertain if hostages were being held by intruders and take appropriate actions.

I had each of them repeat the words.

"Lieutenant?" Doyya asked. "What if something goes wrong, and we need more backup?"

I nodded. "Normally, I'd say call Air Security, but right now they aren't exactly operating like they are supposed to. All right. Computer, if after emergency protocol has been invoked, and there are indications of injury or intruders, notify Commander Barankoshto, Ground Service, First Brigade, 67th Armored Division and Lieutenant Killayana, at Division HQ, Ground Security CID."

"Confirmed. Protocol updated," it replied.

"Calia, when you bring up Ixma, bring the girls, too. No access for the girls, of course, but it should scan them so it knows who lives here."

Calia nodded. "I will do so."

Then I frowned, realizing I'd missed seeing someone at breakfast. "Where's Anton?"

"He missed his wife, so he walked over to the Commissary to give her a call and to send emails to his daughters."

I couldn't blame him. He and Sheeta had been happily married for more than twenty years, and he hadn't had much chance to communicate with her. "All right. When he gets back, add him in, too. Computer, is there an emergency button anywhere in the house, other than in here?"

The monitor flicked to life, and we were shown a plan of the first floor. It closed in on the kitchen, then zoomed to a counter in a corner by the stove, where a switch was hidden under the edge. I could see the kitchen was a high traffic area. At one end, between the kitchen and the dining room was the doorway to the garage. At the other end, near where the refrigerators stood at the back of the kitchen, was the doorway to the gym. Fortunately there was also a door in the garage that opened directly to the gym. There was also a secondary computer access panel in the emergency shelter, but the shelter stairway was accessible only through a door in the garage.

I glanced at my watch. "Computer, close access. Come on. We just have time to finish our cahault and hit the road."

Giving out kisses and saying goodbyes, we headed out to my ChoCac and went to work.

On the way, I asked Doyya how she was doing.

"A bit sore still, but getting better, sir."

"Do what you can, Doyya, but don't overdo it. So stay away from patrols for at least a couple of weeks. Last thing I want is you tearing something and setting you back. Did you get your lungs checked out, too?"

She nodded. "Trank and Hodan took me. A little irritation. No damage."

An hour into work, and Sergeant Chita, Doyya, and I reviewed the bus situation. Ridership from the 917th and the 945th had nearly doubled in that many days, with requests starting to come from other units, both Air and Ground Service. The Ground Service buses already had routes along the work and domicile areas for their part of the base.

"If we keep this up, we'll put a lot of mileage on them," Chita observed. "Do we dedicate personnel to running the transportation pretty much permanently? We're getting requests to go by the seashore, to the Cafeteria, Commissary, Dependent's Housing, Laundromat, Infirmary, Naval Gates, Main Gates, you name it. Also, adding access for dependents."

Doyya blinked, then smiled. "I'd didn't imagine it would take off like this."

I shrugged. "As long as people don't forget that the purpose of this is keep people safe. In fact, task someone with doing posters to put in the buses, to remind them about the Unit Protection Orders. See if there's anyone with a guild background in business marketing. And Chita, do a search of personnel in the 917th and see if anyone has civilian bus or driving experience to get some input, so we don't have to re-invent the wheel. Let's do our best to keep this manageable."

"And if we need to re-do routes and such?" Chita asked.

"If it's a lot of changes or more people and resources, let's evaluate it. If we think it will make things run better, we'll put it together and solicit Commander Barankoshto's support. Maybe a separate bus during the day at set times and set locations for the dependents. I have a feeling that this will continue to be a big morale booster. Lieutenant Lovyanchiti, I'm putting this into your lap. While I'm here, I expect to be in the loop, but I also expect to get my travel orders any time now."

"Yes, sir."

Doyya looked at me, her eyes wide.

"Trust me, you'll do fine," I told her. "You are an officer. You don't make mistakes,"

Chita, who was taking a drink of cahault, spewed liquid all over her desk.

Doyya grinned while Chita coughed. I grinned back at her.

"And only our Sergeant Chita knows the truth of that statement," I added.

Doyya burst out laughing.

Once she was breathing normally again, Chita just rolled her eyes.

At that moment, Sergeant Yalcamara came up, followed by Stimmi. Both carried large packing boxes. They went to Doyya and set them beside her on the floor.

Doyya looked at her in surprise, opened the top box, then exclaimed, "You found my stuff!"

"Yep," she grinned. "Should we bring in the other two?"

I shook my head. "No, put them back in your vehicle and take them by my place. The Lieutenant can go with you, show you my new home. While you are there, Doyya, have Sergeant Yalcamara added to the house AI's security database. Yalcamara, do you have anything else going on at the moment?"

"Not urgent, no, sir." She raised her eyebrows. "Something up?"

"I got an email from a Detective Sergeant Crazy Wolf of the Capisco Police Department, Seventh Precinct. Seems they found an abandoned HueCac, with Air Service plates, registered to Lieutenant Lovyanchiti. He's interested in talking to her. I don't want that to happen. But I do want to go pick up her vehicle."

"Does that mean we're having lunch in Capisco?" Stimmi asked.

"Why do you want to know, Private?" Yalcamara turned her gaze on him.

"I like those fried potato thingies. They go with salsa, sweet sauce, dill sauce – just about anything."

"What am I going to do with you, Stimmi? You are always eating, but no matter what, you still have a skinny butt." Yalcamara shook her head.

1...910111213...20