Starting Over Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
deadeye_76
deadeye_76
1,685 Followers

"Thank you -- and I'm sure Mary will be overwhelmed. She has been working hard to get her life back on track and only wants your approval."

"Well, she's going to get more than that. I'll do whatever I can to help her get her education or whatever else she needs. She's a beautiful young girl and, though she made some major mistakes, seems to be doing exactly what you said before -- trying to turn her life around. She is, after all, my daughter." He turned towards me. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

I looked outside and took a deep breath. "No, nothing. I think I just need to give Maggie some time. Maybe in a couple of weeks she'll talk to me."

"If you want to mention it to your boss, I need someone to do personnel investigations of people we hire. Perhaps he might be interested."

"I'll discuss the business opportunity with Craig. I appreciate the thought."

Mr. Bradford nodded. "Well, call me at any time. As for Maggie, I think you would be her first good choice of all the men she's dated."

I looked at him and back outside. Everyone was gone. "Sorry to hear that about Maggie, except that I hope that it gives me an edge with her."

He gave me a small smile. "Yes, I hope so, too. I haven't had much association with military individuals. Are they all as idealistic and forthright as you?"

"Well, they represent society in most ways. They generally come from all walks of life and types and races. However, I would say that most of us have a shared ideal of wanting to do something important and purposeful for ourselves and the country. I also have to say that you see much fewer who come from a wealthier background."

He nodded. "Yes, I can understand that."

Before we could discuss that further, the door from the house to the study burst open and Maggie, Mary, and Maddie came bursting into the room, led, of course, by Maddie.

"Grandpa!" Maddie came rushing in and rushed to him to be picked up. It wasn't until she was in his arms that she spotted me standing over by the window slightly hidden behind a floor lamp. "Mr. Jackson!" She squirmed out of grandpa's arms quickly and he chuckled as she rushed to me.

"Hello, gorgeous." I picked her up in my arms and lifted her up over my head like I always did -- she squealed like she always did. Then I held her on my hip. I looked over to where Mary and Maggie were standing. Mary was smiling and Maggie was staring at me.

Mary looked at me. "What are you doing here John?"

Mr. Bradford spoke before I could answer by making good on one of his promises immediately. "Mary, come over here." She advanced toward him looking a little cowed. He reached down and took her hands in his. "Honey, I owe you an apology. You are my daughter and a beautiful person. I can see that you are trying to get your life pointed in the right direction. You will always be welcome in this house and I will help you in any way I can. If you need assistance to finish your education or get started in a new career, I'm there for you. Please forgive me."

Mary broke down and crushed her father with a hug as she cried on his shoulder. I even saw Mr. Bradford struggle to keep his emotions in check, which of course he would do. I looked back over at Maggie and she was smiling at her father and Mary.

Finally, Mary pulled back and wiped her eyes. "Thank you, daddy. I've missed you."

He cleared his throat. "Well, I've always been here, I just kept myself clammed up and was being an old fool. Can you forgive me?"

"Of course!" Mary then turned toward me and slowly walked over. She smiled at Maddie and then leaned up and kissed me on the lips. "And thank you, John. I have a feeling you had something to do with this."

"No, not really. Your father was just thanking me for saving Maddie again when he told me that he was going to make up with you."

She looked at me askance. "Okay, but thanks anyway."

She turned towards where Maggie had been and started speaking. "Maggie, don't...." Maggie was gone. She turned back toward me. "Sorry."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Don't worry about it. I wasn't expecting anything today anyway." I turned to Maddie who was patiently watching us while I held her. "But I do have a present for you."

Maddie grinned. "Me? What is it? Where is it? When can I have it?" She was practically jumping out of my arms.

I shushed her. "Slow down, slow down." I put her on the floor. "Look over in that big chair."

Maddie looked over in the chair and saw the huge box. She rushed to it. "Can I open it now, Mr. Jackson? Can I have it?" She looked over at me expectantly and smiled.

"Sure, you can."

Little kids have a knack for opening presents. She ripped the paper off the box and had it open in record time. She shrieked when she saw the big Pooh bear inside. "It's Pooh!" She reached in and yanked it out.

"That's the mate to the one that I have Maddie. You can come over and play any time you want, they would love to get together."

She looked at it closely. "This is the mommy, your's is the daddy, and I have the baby upstairs. It's just like the three bears story." She grinned and smiled at her astuteness and everyone else laughed.

I decided it was time to make my exit. "I should be going. I have an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner with my friend Craig and I'll be late if I don't hurry."

Mr. Bradford came over to me and clasped my hand in a firm handshake. "If you ever need anything just call. I can't say what will happen with Maggie, but you will always be welcome by the rest of the family." He held out his hand and I shook it.

Mary came over to me and gave me a big hug. "Thank you, John, for being a good friend." She pulled back and looked at me. "Happy Thanksgiving."

I turned to go, but the small fry of the group again attached herself to my legs. I turned to her and she put her arms up. I lifted her over my head and she gave me her patented squeal and then I hugged her. "Thank you for my Mommy Pooh, Mr. Jackson."

"You're very welcome." I put her down and she grabbed her Pooh and raced from the room. I walked to the door and let myself out. I walked down to my car and started to get in. As I did, I turned and looked up at the Bradford house. I caught just a glimpse of someone in one of the upstairs windows before they backed out of sight. I could only hope that Maggie was feeling something and would act on it soon.

I got in and drove to Craig's. We had a great Thanksgiving dinner and I enjoyed being with him and his family. The family was aware of our discomfort at discussing what had happened in Afghanistan, so even though the two of us were together in front of them, nobody even mentioned it.

Saturday, 24 November 2012, Dennis' apartment.

I woke slowly. I had had a very interesting and 'stimulating' Thanksgiving and then a relaxing Friday. I watched the college football games and did some reading. I also did some thinking about Maggie and Maddie. I really did want to be in their lives. I certainly couldn't be running around fucking 19 and 20 year old women when I was in love with and trying to win the trust of someone else. I had always wanted a threesome. What guy hasn't thought about that? But I'm glad I passed. I would have hated myself and felt very guilty around Maggie.This made me rethink what to do about Maggie. Was I going to approach her slowly and indirectly? Or would it be better to take the direct approach and make a frontal assault, so to speak.

I decided to let it sit for a couple of weeks and see how it went. I wanted her and her family to think about it and ruminate on the events surrounding the kidnapping and recovery of Maddie. Fortunately, I had my daughter's visit to look forward to and I needed to ramp up my workouts to stay in shape.

24 November to 15 December 2012

I used the small gym in the building we had, which was basically a converted storeroom, but it was enough with my bicycling to keep me moving. I worked out religiously during this period and did small jobs for Craig as a private investigator. I had the large bag of cash stashed and used it sparingly. All I had to do was to stay afloat and make sure my daughter had everything she needed.

16 December 2012

My daughter arrived mid-afternoon on the 16th. She was even more beautiful than when I last saw her. She had matured appreciably during her first semester at college. She seemed more assured and confident, even though she had inherited her mother's logical and pragmatic outlook and always seemed older than her age.

We had a nice dinner and were leaving on the 19th for a week of skiing. We had included Christmas since it was just the two of us. My siblings families had asked us to visit, but I wanted one Christmas with just my daughter before I started visiting all of them.

19 December 2012

We arrived at Stephen's Pass ski resort at about 4pm. It had been a pretty easy drive considering what it could have been if the snow had been falling fast. I had used my newfound largesse to rent a four wheel drive vehicle so we had plenty of traction and space just in case.

On the way we talked about what had been going on. My daughter wanted to know more about the night that I called her at 3am, but I put her off by saying that I was just lonely and missing her mother. She didn't ask about it again. I asked her about her boyfriend and she told me he was a lot like me. I turned to look at her and she smiled.

"You know what I mean. He's computer savvy but not a nerd. He likes to play sports and enjoys going to the movies and plays. He's majoring in civil engineering. He's 20 and he's a junior. Anything else you want to know?"

Well, since she put it that way -- no. Where did she get such a smart mouth?

19-25 December 2012

We had a wonderful ski trip and enjoyed almost all the trails. I'm not an expert skier, so I stay away from some of the more advanced slopes and anything with moguls.

Without her mother around, I began to feel closer and more connected to my daughter. I realized that during most of the time that her mother was alive, they had more in common and had communicated much more than she and I did. It felt different having her all to myself. We discussed all her interests, most of which I knew, but then she talked about selecting Art History as her major. She wanted to study abroad one semester, too, and asked about our monetary situation. I tried not to grin too hard as I thought about that stash in my apartment, but I told her that it was not a problem. She accepted it.

26 December 2012

We got back to my apartment about 4pm after a little more challenging drive on the way back. It had been snowing heavily in the mountains and it took us a while to get out of there. Once we got closer to sea level, it changed to rain and now it was just drizzling. I was unloading the rental vehicle when my neighbor Sam approached me.

"Hi, John."

"Hey, Sam, how are you? Merry Christmas."

She smiled. "Merry Christmas. I wanted to tell you that some woman came by a couple of times with a little girl. One time I was just getting home and she asked me if I knew where you were. I told her you went skiing and she left. Do you know who I'm talking about?"

"Yes, I know them. Thanks." It had to be Maggie and Maddie. I wonder what that was about. Maybe the slow and indirect approach was working.

"Okay. And thanks again for the present." I knew she was referring to the cash. "Do I want to know where it came from?"

"You probably already know right?"

She looked at me. "I heard about the breakup of the drug ring. I just assumed...."

I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

"Okay, well, see you later." She left and I kept hauling stuff in.

27 December 2012

I told my daughter more about Maggie and Maddie, but she already knew most of it. I finally confessed about the kidnapping and why Maggie didn't trust me anymore. My daughter stared at me for a while and was pretty pissed off that I did that without telling her I was putting myself in danger. After a while, she seemed to calm down and we were able to discuss it without acrimony. About 8pm that night I received a phone call.

"Hello?"

"John? This is Marshall Bradford."

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Bradford. What can I do for you?"

"I am having a New Year's Eve party and wanted to invite you to it."

I thought about it for a second. Did I really want to be there with Maggie? Of course I did. "Okay. I have my daughter with me; can I bring her, too?"

"Absolutely. We'd love to have you both. It's not really dinner. It's just drinks and as many hors d'oeuvres as you've ever seen." He chuckled. "Party starts at 8 and I'm really looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your daughter."

"Okay, we'll be there."

We hung up. This was like a different man from before. I guess he really was changing his life.

I told my daughter about the party and, as usually happens in these cases, we had to go shopping for a dress and new shoes. She said 'we' and I knew I had to go. So on Saturday, the 29th, I went, got dragged around for about three hours, and finally paid $350 for a dress and $200 for new shoes. I guess it could have been worse. One of the dresses we looked at was $1000.

My daughter and I discussed the situation with Maggie and she said I should just be honest and tell her I was in love with her. Women always think you should be honest, but I was a guy. I was hesitant to just open up and tell her like that until I had some indication that she wanted me, too. I decided to play it by ear.

31 December 2012 -- 1 January 2013

We arrived at the Bradford house at about 8:20. I didn't want to get there too early. As it was, the place was pretty well packed. Everyone must have arrived on time for once. Mr. Bradford let me in.

"Good to see you again, John." He turned to my daughter. "And as much as it pains me to say so, your daughter may be more beautiful than mine are." He grinned and I introduced them.

He told me that Maggie had not come down yet, but Maddie was running around somewhere. My daughter and I wandered around the crowd but we didn't really know anyone. Then we found Mary and her new/old boyfriend. I got both of us a drink and we talked. Mary questioned my handing my daughter a glass of wine, but I shrugged it off.

"She's been getting alcohol at family dinners since she was 12. She's a responsible individual." I turned to my daughter. "Right, Angel?"

She grinned. "You expect me not to answer positively?"

Mary laughed. "Well, I see you have your father's smart mouth."

She grinned wider. "You know it."

Damn, smart-assed women! And she blamed it on me! The nerve! I chuckled.

We mingled and were making our way around one of the food tables when a small person attached herself to my legs. "Mr. Jackson!"

"Hi, Maddie." I put my plate down and picked her up, putting her on my hip. She was dressed in a very pretty red party dress and looked adorable. "Happy New Year." She smiled and looked at my daughter. "Maddie, this is my daughter, Angelica. We call her Angel. Angel, this is Madeleine, but everyone calls her Maddie."

My daughter shook Maddie's small hand. "Nice to meet you, Maddie. I've heard all about you from my father. You're very pretty and look very nice in that dress."

"Thank you." Maddie answered, but held tightly to me and seemed a little shy around this new person. "I like your dress, too."

Wow. She's only 6 years old and she already returns clothing complements.

I wondered where her mother was. "Where's your mother, Maddie?"

"She's upstairs. She says she has a headache and will come down later."

"Okay, how are your Pooh bears doing?"

She grinned. "They are very well, thank you, but I want to come over so they can all be together."

I related what this was about to my daughter and then movement on the big staircase got my attention. It was Maggie. She was coming down in a green chiffon something-or-other. I don't know women's fashions, but I knew that it was light and swished around her beautiful form and made me want her.

"Look, Maddie, here comes your mother."

Maddie wrested herself from my grip and rushed over to her mother. She took her by the hand and led her directly to us.

"Look, Mommy, Mr. Jackson is here with his daughter, Angel."

Maggie grinned and approached my daughter putting her hand out. "I guess that takes care of our introductions." She shook my daughter's hand and then turned to me. I moved toward her to give her a socially acceptable peck on the cheek and she accepted it.

"I hope you are enjoying yourselves."

"Yes, we are." I watched her closely for any signs of her still being angry.

Then Maddie wanted back up into my arms. I picked her up and she looked at her mother and then at me. "Mr. Jackson, are you going to be my second father?"

Maggie almost choked on her drink and my daughter started laughing. Kids this age definitely have no filter. "Well, Maddie, I'm not sure. Your mother and I still have a lot of talking to do."

"My friend Jennifer has two fathers and she loves it. She says her first father comes and takes her places and they go out to dinner every couple of weeks. Her second father lives with her and they also do a lot of fun things. I think she's lucky having two fathers."

I sighed at smiled at Maggie. How the hell do you answer that? Fortunately, Maggie decided to answer her daughter. "Honey, Mr. Jackson and I need to talk about this. We have not discussed it and are not ready yet."

Maddie looked at her mother. "But Mommy, the other day we went to try to see Mr. Jackson and you said you wanted him."

I'm not sure she got the real meaning of that phrase and I doubt her mother said it to her like that.

Maddie smiled. "Honey, I do want him. But he and I have some things to discuss before we do that."

I stared at her. She just said she wanted me. She didn't say she wanted to date me or see me, she said she wanted me. I liked that. I grinned at her and she blushed.

I turned to Maddie. "Maddie, I want your mother, too, so let us talk it over and maybe in a few days we can discuss that again. Okay?"

"Okay." I put her down and she raced off. I think she was going to tell her grandmother or grandfather that. Oh well.

My daughter, being perceptive, managed to find something she just had to have at the food table, leaving me alone with Maddie. She stepped closer to me. "I'm still angry that you didn't tell me about the drug dealer before you put my daughter in danger, but my father and Mary seem to be on your side."

I sighed. "I already told you I was sorry and how this all came about. They waited long enough to let me get comfortable. I was just not thinking about anything but you and your daughter. I thought they had moved on to other things and I had, too. I can't change that now, but please don't let this get between us. We need to see if there's any chance for us." She said nothing and the lack of response was getting to me so I tried to lighten it a little bit. "Besides, it was only because I was blinded by the beauty of the two of you that I forgot." She tried not to smile, but did a little, so I continued. "Besides, I'm not saying that we will never be angry with each other if we live together, but I want to know if we can work it out."

She smiled this time and moved closer to me. "Is it true that you love me?"

"Yes."

"And my daughter, too?"

"Yes."

"What about your daughter? What does she think about us and your involvement with a woman with a child?"

"She is happy for me. She saw how much I was affected by her mother's death and just wants me to be happy. She's a very grown-up woman already."

"So you think we have a future?"

"At this point, I hope so, but we need to be together and work on our relationship before we can make that decision."

deadeye_76
deadeye_76
1,685 Followers