Starting Over Pt. 07 Ch. 04

Story Info
The Romanians (and others) are handled.
9.4k words
4.82
1.6k
3

Part 28 of the 31 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 02/03/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
deadeye_76
deadeye_76
1,685 Followers

Starting Over VII, Chapter 4.

This is the seventh section of the continuing saga "Starting Over".

In Part I, LTC (Retired) John Jackson had moved to Seattle after being widowed. He ran into some trouble and some decent people (okay, and a few strippers), while working towards getting his private investigator license. That took place between Sep and Dec 2012.

In Part II, he got involved in a ring trafficking in young women. The main perpetrators were captured, but the hired gun/enforcer slipped away. That took place in Apr and May 2013.

In Part III, which took place in 2013 and 2014, John managed to find the enforcer in Key West and was planning to kill him, but changed his mind. He really didn't know if he could kill someone in cold blood, but the man was living with a woman and had decided that he was retiring. John let him go with a promise to do intelligence work for him and returned to Seattle, where Maggie gave indications that she wanted a serious relationship. Then he used that enforcer from Key West to assist in capturing an assassin. The assassin had been hired to kill him and the detective who helped him break up a leg of a human trafficking chain.

In Part IV, it's 2019. John and Maggie couldn't work things out and now John was working on a case that, at first, involved someone who had assaulted Luke's wife Maria. John then had two men try to break into his apartment to attack him. The authorities caught the two men by tracking them to a strip club, but John got beat up by them before the police got there. When he woke, he found that Vanessa, his waitress at the strip club, was an undercover officer. There were several events that were taking place and it was being done by an anarchist group. However, funding for these events was tracked to someone in human trafficking in Singapore by a hacker that John found through Bob in Key West. He returned to Seattle with the information on a thumb drive, and the FBI and others started tracking him. Finally, the master of the human trafficking ring had his son try to soft sell John's daughter into visiting Asia with him, primarily to kidnap her. John found out, he and his buddies stopped it, and then John, feeling the rage, flew to Singapore and, with the backdoor assistance of a government person, was armed and killed both the leader and his son of this trafficking ring.

In Part V, Yvonne, the young hacker came to live with John. She had nowhere else to go and felt so alone during the pandemic that she was craving human interaction. She also admitted that she was attracted to John, even though there was 19 years difference in their ages. A bad guy was hired to hit him due to his involvement in some operations being run by a rogue CIA manager and some disenfranchised CIA members. John and company got them in the end and Yvonne got shot in the leg. She decided to stay with John.

Part VI involved a woman, going by the name Julie, who had been "hidden" by a woman called a "guide". She had been given a new identity and moved to Seattle to get away from a potentially fatal relationship. That was back in Tennessee. This led to the woman's guide, Dani, discovering that the brothers of the husband that Julie had killed, were running meth labs out of the woods of the land that Julie and her husband had owned. They were worried about losing the land and the labs. This ended up with the labs being pointed out to the FBI, and then one of the brothers and one of their dealers coming to Seattle to get revenge on John and the FBI agent in charge of the case back in Tennessee.

Recurring Characters

LTC (Retired) John Jackson, 5'11", 180, 55 years old.

Marie Jackson, John's dead wife, 5'8", 140, 44 years old, died 15 Jan 2012

Angelica Jackson (Angel), John and Marie's daughter, 5'5", 125, 28 years old.

Mary Bradford, bartender, 5'5", 120, 48 years old.

Margaret (Maggie) Bradford, Mary's sister, 5'6", 115, 44 years old.

Samantha (Sam) Walker, 5'6", 130 pounds, 48 years old, John's former neighbor.

Joyce Walker, Sam's daughter, 5'4", 120 pounds, 28 years old, and now an exotic dancer using the name Lily

Marion Walker, Sam's daughter, 5'4", 115 pounds, 26 years old.

SFC (Retired) Craig Smithson, 6', 190, 55 years old, NCO from John's Army unit.

Captain Jeff Smithson, 5'11', 185, 53 years old, SFC Smithson's brother and a captain in the Seattle Police Department.

Luke Cole, 5'10", 180, detective in the Seattle Police Department.

Maria Cole, 5'6", 135, Luke's wife.

Jeanne (aka Jasmine) Welch, 5'5", 110, 30 years old, exotic dancer.

Olivia, 5'4", 120 pounds, 30 years old, called Livy, exotic dancer.

Max Meridian (real name Harold Johnson), Mark's lead kidnapper and enforcer. Now changed his name to Bob Thomas and is married to Susan. They own and operate a bar in Key West.

Susan Thomas, Bob's new wife.

George Watson, a new member of the detective agency.

Vanessa Williams, 5'6", 130, detective in the Seattle Police Department.

Yvonne, 5'2", 105, illegal hacker who helped find the human trafficker who had funded the anarchists in Seattle.

Danielle (Dani) Parker, 5'8", 120, known as a "guide". She takes cases where an individual is in mortal danger and "hides" them by giving them new identities and teaching them how to lay low.

Benjamin Smothers, Deputy Director of the FBI.

Allison June, 5'7", FBI agent in Seattle.

---------------------- Wednesday, April 20, 2022, FBI Office, Seattle, WA -----------

John was sitting in an interview room. He had given his statement and been waiting for over an hour since he was left alone. The grazing bullet wound hurt a little, but he had been patched up pretty well. He decided enough was enough. He stood up, went to the door, and opened it. There was an agent standing there guarding the door.

"Sir, you are to remain in the room until they have completed the interview."

"It's been a while since they left, and that should have completed my interview. It's almost 10pm and I need to check on my wife, who happens to be in the hospital after being shot."

"Sorry, I've been directed to keep you here."

"Well, if I'm not under arrest, then I'm going to leave. You guys can return my gun when you are done with it. If you want to stop me, then do so, otherwise, I'm gone."

The agent looked a little concerned. He looked over at his SAC, who was coming out of his office. The SAC stopped and stared for a second and then made his way over.

"Where do you think you are going?"

"Back to the hospital to check on my wife."

"Not yet. We still have a few questions."

"You finished my interview an hour ago. You should have everything you need. Now, am I under arrest?"

"No, but...."

John interrupted him immediately. "Well, then, I'm leaving. You can't keep me here just because you want to. I need to get back to the hospital."

"Agent Benson, place Mr. Jackson under arrest."

"For what?" John looked back and forth from the SAC to Agent Benson.

"Obstruction of an ongoing investigation," the SAC said.

John started to get angry, but then decided to take another tack. "Let me have my phone for a phone call and I'll go back into the interview room."

The SAC nodded. "Get his phone," he said to Agent Benson.

When he got his phone back, John immediately called Deputy Director Smothers.

The SAC was walking away when John got through to Smothers. Smothers asked to be put on speaker with the SAC. John called him back over.

"What?" The SAC was not happy.

John held up the phone. "Smothers on the line."

The SAC stared for a second and then Smothers spoke.

"Who is this?"

"SAC Tom Stephens."

"What's happening there with John?"

"There were three assailants that attacked the hospital. One was killed by a security guard, a second was killed by a civilian friend of John's who was visiting, and the third was shot several times by John. The reports we have are that the last shot to his left arm was fired by John after he was down. There appeared to be no reason for it, that it was just done for malice."

"What does that have to do with the FBI?"

"Sir?"

"I can appreciate you wanting to do a thorough investigation Stephens, however, if there is something of that nature, refer it to the local DA. There is no reason for us to hold him for that."

The SAC was not happy about that but said, "Yes, sir. Got it."

Smothers continued, "John, you will have to answer to the DA for that. You have my prayers for your wife. Have to run now. Later."

John hung up and the SAC just walked away and waved his hand in a dismissive manner to John and Agent Benson. John looked at Benson who shrugged, then just turned and walked out.

By the time John got back to the hospital, it was almost midnight.

---------------------- Thursday, April 21, 2022, University of Washington Hospital, Seattle, WA -----------

John had fallen asleep in Maggie's room and was awakened at about 6am by his phone. It was vibrating in his back pocket, where he left it as he dozed off.

"Yeah?"

"Smothers here."

John sat up straighter. "Yes?"

"We do not have the sort of relationship that you can call me to get you out of a jam with the FBI. I cannot be seen to interfere like that."

"Look. I'm aware of the position that puts you in. But I had been sitting in an interview room for over an hour after they finished with me, and, as you know, Maggie had quite a scare yesterday. In her condition, I really feared for her. That's the only reason I did that."

"I understand, but don't do it again."

"Got it." John rolled his eyes and shook his head at Smothers righteousness. Isn't this the same guy who arranged for him to have a gun in Singapore to take out a key figure in human trafficking?

"Okay. Just want to make that clear. We need to keep our history a little quieter than that."

"I got it." John was a little peeved now. "Now tell me who Alex is."

"Who?"

"The professional shooter at the hospital last night said that their orders came from Alex, not Radu, who I would have thought sent them."

"No idea. I'll get back to you."

"Okay." John was not in the mood to talk to Smothers any more.

"And John?"

"Yeah?"

"You have my best wishes for Maggie and all the families affected by this tragedy."

"I'll pass it along," John said without much conviction, and then ended the call.

John decided some breakfast was in order and went to the cafeteria. His leg was still hurting a little, but he was barely limping now. The food here was actually pretty good, so he grabbed some, sat down, and tried to relax a little.

---------------------- Saturday, April 23, 2022, University of Washington Hospital, Seattle, WA -----------

Maggie was considered out of danger -- again -- by that Saturday. They had been worried about the stress and strain on her recently repaired injuries by the hospital attack, which so far had held.

John's daughter and new boyfriend had left and gone home. On Saturday afternoon, Mr. Bradford and a staff of about fifteen personnel came and got Maggie. He had arranged for her to be at his residence with a full-time staff of medical and security personnel until she healed.

John was happy about this. The local hospital security and police were quickly becoming bored with the duty at the hospital. It didn't take long for that to set in anywhere.

Once Maggie was set up at home, John called Smothers back. As soon as he answered, John just said one word.

"Alex?"

"Alexandre Albescu is the new leader in Chicago. It appears that Radu and his family have disappeared. And I don't think they went on a long vacation. Apparently, this Alex guy is ruthless and thought that Radu had not been tough enough on avenging the loss of their accountant and the ton of money he gave us."

"Makes sense. You guys surveilling him?"

"Yes, but we have more resources watching any known associates out in your area than in Chicago. He is not much for having any public meetings, so we just watch as he goes from his home to a couple of restaurants and the theater. Most of the guys we really want to know about go to his home and we have no idea about what goes on in there."

"Roger. Thanks."

"You're going to stay in Seattle, right?"

"Sure. Maggie is going to take some time to heal."

"Stay out of Chicago, John."

"I'll try."

"I'm serious, John."

"I know you are. So am I." John ended the call and cursed. Another guy he had to worry about being a threat and a total asshole. Also, it was another target.

---------------------- Saturday, April 30, 2022, Bradford Residence, Seattle, WA -----------

Maggie had improved considerably, considering she had been shot twice only about three weeks ago. She was sitting up, talking, enjoying everyone's company, and even talking nicely to John.

John had worried that she would again lapse into the blame game and draw back from him. But she seemed in good spirits. It was about 4pm and they were watching some baseball game when she brought up the attack.

"You know who ordered this, don't you, John."

"Yes."

"The Romanian gang from Chicago?"

"Yes." He wasn't sure where she was going with this.

"When are you going to kill him?"

John's head jerked up and he stared at her. "Not if, but when?"

"That man sent people to my house and killed and injured innocent people, one of them me. He then sent three people to a hospital to kill me and you and several more were killed and injured. I want him dead. I don't want him in jail, I want him dead."

"Maggie, you've never been one to want to see someone killed."

"Well, I do now. I'm getting better and we have plenty of security here. So, when are you leaving to kill this asshole?"

John finally smiled and stood up. He walked over to her bed and looked down at her. "As soon as it's safe for me and my buddies to go to Chicago and do it. The FBI is watching me, because they know I want him dead."

"Well, so do I, and so do many of the families of the killed around here. Can you do it?"

"Yes, I can."

"Then do it. I don't need to know about it, just do it and tell me when he's fucking dead."

John leaned over, kissed her, and said in his best sarcastic tone. "Yes, dear."

Maggie grinned at his sarcastic response. "Now that's how a husband is supposed to talk."

---------------------- Sunday, May 1, 2022, John's apartment, Seattle, WA -----------

John used the standard method of contacting Bob and waited with his hidden cell for the return call.

Bob called after a few minutes. "Message received."

"Have a target to remove."

"Roger. Heard about situation up there. Maggie okay?"

"Yes. Need to take care of gang leader in Chicago, Alexandre Albescu."

There was a long silence. "You looking for assistance or a shooter?"

"Not sure. Do you still have access and knowledge on this?"

"Yes."

"Okay, why don't you check and make a recommendation."

"Roger. Will get back to you tomorrow, same time."

"Roger."

They ended the call.

John thought about that. As much satisfaction as it would give him to kill the son-of-a-bitch, maybe it would be better to have someone else do that job. He would have to wait to see what Bob recommended. He did hate the idea of funding someone like that, however, so he had to think about it some more.

---------------------- Monday, May 2, 2022, John's apartment, Seattle, WA -----------

Bob called exactly when he said he would.

"No takers. However, I could come assist. My wife has been wanting to head up there some spring to see some distant relatives. They are in Wisconsin. What do you think?"

"Love to have you, but the FBI is in the area, and I don't want you to be accidentally recognized. I'll figure something out."

"I understand," Bob said. "But call if you do need me. I can take steps to look completely different."

"Yeah, but your fingerprints or DNA would identify you instantly."

"I know. Just looking for some excitement and a pay day."

"Maybe next time. See you."

The call ended.

---------------------- Monday, May 23, 2022, John's apartment, Seattle, WA -----------

John, Craig, Marty, Carl, and George were all at the early morning meeting at John's place. John got right down to business.

"I am going after Alex. I wanted to let you all know that I will be out of touch for a while as this may take some time and research. I have to make sure he never comes after anyone in my family again. I need some help putting everything together for my trip, so here," John held up a piece of paper, "is my operational requirement needs statement. I am going to put this together and head out there some time tomorrow, if I can get all my supplies."

Marty looked at the list. "Those assholes shot me, too, so I'm going."

John looked at Marty. "Marty, are you healed up enough for this? What about Allison? We can't let her know about this. We can't let the FBI know anything at all, for fear that they will stop us. And she will want to know where you are going."

"She will keep silent on this. I already talked it over with her, knowing that this was coming at some point."

George spoke next. "I'm going. You are going to need some expert advice on surveillance equipment, drones, and other things. I've got nothing better to do than eliminate some scumbag who is killing people."

Craig and Carl looked at each other. "Well, we've all got to go, then, right?"

John looked at Craig. "No. Craig, you need to stay here to keep the agency running and fend off requests for us while we are gone. You will have to do most of the work while we act like the Avengers, but without super-powers."

Craig stared at him for a few seconds. "You are probably right. Somebody has to make it look like we are still making money."

There was some more discussion about everything. John told them that he had paid cash for a small RV from a guy up in the mountains. He was not going to file the paperwork to transfer the title until later. He also told them about some of the items on his list. They would need to do some serious shopping, and do it in several places to keep from sparking interest by the wrong people, namely the law enforcement types for now.

John also said that Marty had gotten Allison to get some initial intel on this guy Alex. It was not much, but gave them a good starting point. Allison said that the FBI had backed off due to resources. They had watched the guy for several weeks, but got nothing on him. John was going to need less evidence to execute his plan.

---------------------- Thursday, May 26, 2022, Leaving in the RV, Seattle, WA -----------

It took until Wednesday afternoon to obtain everything on John's list. The replacement barrels for all the weapons they would use was the toughest. Replacing the barrels and firing pins would make it very difficult to match any bullets to the gun.

They each took public transportation to a different block and walked several more from different directions to get to the RV. It was parked in the middle of an empty lot and they all piled it and got out of Seattle at about 5:45am.

The drive was easier this time with the ability of the RV to allow people to sleep and store food in a refrigerator for the trip. It also required fewer bathroom stops. All in all, they made good time. John had contacted Yvonne, who had outlined the best places to stop and get out without appearing on most cameras. For any that had a bad angle, they took chances and changed their appearance as much as possible. They had several hats, wigs, and plenty of work shirts to hide behind.

---------------------- Friday, May 27, 2022, On the Road Again, Chicago, IL -----------

They got to Chicago late Friday night. The traffic congestion looked bad on all the apps. They had been searching and had found a great place to park the RV. It was only about 12 blocks from where John wanted to start surveillance. They got there and bedded down for what might be a long watch.

deadeye_76
deadeye_76
1,685 Followers