Statuesque

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Happy hunting.

MSGID/SHIPREPORT/01/ALOJA//

SUMM/SHIP ACTIVITY/MEDITERRANEAN SEA//

~

"So it was Aloja that did the Syria run," Sienna exclaims.

Sienna goes on to explain Eric's theory to Michael, who listens intently before asking a few questions. Satisfied with the logic, he re-reads the message from EUCOM, then turns to Linda to discuss strategy.

"You've got enough to get an Interpol warrant to search the ship, but you won't find any proof. The gold is long gone, just like their navigation logs will be, by now," he says.

"Our primary partners would act on this, slowly, but the oligarchs have ties to several UK ministers and a bunch of political appointees. If you try to initiate a search or seizure through Treasury channels, the Russians will be tipped off, Aloja will run to a safe harbour, and the money trail will be wiped before anyone gets there," he explains.

"FBI have direct channels to their enforcement partners. But you'll need to find some compelling proof of Aloja being in Tartus -- proof we can share with them. Like commercial satellite imagery, we can't give them the military stuff."

"I know," agrees Linda, "but Treasury works through Interpol. A warrant will be needed, to enable enforcement activities."

"Right," Michael says. "What I'm suggesting is you use the back-channels to have the Spanish and Croatian police ready to act first. Then you blast out Interpol warrants, press releases, account seizure notices, and audits on the bank. The more noise the better -- expose them from all angles and they won't know which of their naughty-bits to cover up first."

"It's always best if they don't see it coming. But we still need evidence for a warrant," says Linda.

"Then I suggest you put in RFIs to both CIA and DIA, see what intel we have on that Syrian port," Michael suggests.

"Right, this is big for us, Michael. If there's no other important updates, then I'd like to get started on this gold shipment?" Linda says. Michael nods his head. "Okay then, Sienna, could you show Eva how to write the requests-for-information. Eric, can you thank LEGAT and see if he can persuade Monaco to share the mugshots from the Grand Prix. Let's see if there were any Russians onboard. And thanks for the brief, Michael, I'll walk you out, if that's okay?"

Michael smiles and gives a nod. "Sure, anytime," he says, before standing and rolling his borrowed chair back to the next bay.

Before getting started, Eric and Sienna make eye contact and smile at each other, for a mix of reasons. They're happy their investigations seem to be paying off. They've agreed that some playful flirting will be acceptable, but aren't getting any opportunities to play. Eric is happy to be near Sienna. Similarly, Sienna is happy to be with Eric again, safely away from the intimacy of her bedroom.

~ DIA, Joint Base Anacostia--Bolling, Washington DC, Thursday, June 15, 2023 ~

Most Americans associate spy satellites with the CIA, but the Department of Defense are major partners in the endeavor. DoD's Space Force even operate the Vandenberg Space Launch Complex, where these missions are launched. So, it was imagery analysts in the Defense Intelligence Agency that were the first to respond to Eva's request. They had been watching the Port of Tartus for over a decade now -- even before Russia deployed troops to Syria, in 2015.

Given a concise date and location. It was easy to go to the saved imagery and identify the luxury yacht among the naval freighters. The yacht had been noted in earlier reporting, but never identified. It wasn't capable of transporting a tank or missile system, so wasn't considered to be of any significant military interest.

Unfortunately, the image had been captured by the most advanced night-vision satellite in the fleet, so was highly classified and couldn't even be released to Treasury, let alone Interpol. All that the DIA analyst-on-watch could give was written confirmation of Aloja's presence in Tartus, on the night of the fifth of May. So, a little before five PM, she had replied to Treasury's RFI with that confirmation, forwards a secondary query to the open-source intelligence team, then moves on to the next task in her queue..

~ Pentagon City Apartments, Washington DC, Thursday, June 15, 2023 ~

Sienna enters her apartment and puts her handbag on the kitchen bench. She retrieves her phone, badge, and lanyard, dropping those items in front of the statue, to the right of her desk.

"Sorry David," she says, "I should let you look out the window while I'm away. You must get bored of looking at the kitchen all day. Or, were you watching to see if Eric showed up again? You're not jealous are you?"

Eric would be with her team for another five months, yet. A long time to keep her hands off him, she thought. She intended to wait for their dinner date, and not see anyone else, but there was no expectation of exclusivity. What if Eric met someone? Fell in love with someone? That would be devastating, she realized. Was she already committing too much to this non-relationship?

~ FinCEN, 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Tyson's Corner, Friday, June 16, 2023 ~

The following day, Linda, Sienna, Eva, and Eric, are all in the office again. Their investigation seemed to be dependent on the intelligence agencies at the moment. So, would need to be conducted on their internal networks -- unreachable, if working remotely.

The overnight confirmation from DIA was encouraging. The Aloja, visiting Syria, almost certainly means Russian involvement.

By ten o'clock, a further report from the FBI provided commercial satellite confirmation that the Georgian-flagged ship, Tslvi, was high and dry, on the slipway in Tunis, for the entire period it supposedly traveled to Syria. This intelligence could be shared internationally. Proof that the AIS signature was spoofed -- a crime in itself -- which strongly hinted it was hiding a greater crime.

"Woo-hoo," Eric celebrates, quietly. "We can use this -- it's coming together now."

"Yes, we can," agreed Linda. "I was speaking to Claude earlier. He's got a limited distribution codeword he wants us to use when conversing with the UK's National Crime Agency. They've created a special one, just to keep Russia investigations away from the political appointees over there."

"Jesus! Is it that bad?" Eva asks.

"I'm afraid so," Linda says. "London is -- or was -- the financial hub of Europe. Russian oligarchs have been parking their money there -- buying real-estate, soccer teams, businesses, media, and politicians. That's how it got the nickname of Londongrad."

"I read that after the Brexit referendum, their intelligence and security committee was blocked -- by their own government -- from investigating the Russian interference," adds Eric. "And if the independent press even try to hint at Russian-sponsored corruption, they get sued for defamation. That's where the dark-money is going; it's using our own systems against us."

"We need to stop the money," Sienna says, "but first, let's get coffee. Who's coming?"

"Sounds like something a Russian sympathizer would suggest," says Eva, with a smile, "but I'm in."

"Yes, and it's my turn to buy," Eric answers.

Linda says, "I'll stay here, but could you bring me a regular latte, please?"

"Sure. I'll have my cell phone, so call us if anything comes up," says Eric.

~

In the cafeteria, the three stop at the window, looking out through the large concrete orifice that is the main feature of the building's front facade. Eva is adding sugar to her coffee, while she asks Eric, "How was working from Sienna's home on Wednesday?"

"Not bad. The Internet was quick, and the food-court was close by, but the naked man in her apartment kept staring at me," Eric says.

"What?" smiles Eva, with a confused expression.

"Oh, he's talking about David," Sienna adds, "he's always naked."

"He's old, too," Eric nods. "Like Old Testament-type of old."

Eva knows she's being played, but she's happy to see Eric and Sienna playing her, together. She likes them both, and hopes something might develop between them.

"David is my copy of Michelangelo's David," Sienna says, realizing Eva won't be baited anymore.

"Oh, I want to go to Rome, one day," says Eva.

"Florence," Sienna responds, "that's where the original is. I want to go there."

When they return with Linda's coffee, they find her smiling like a Cheshire cat.

"DIA came through again," she announces, then turns to open an email attachment. "They found this picture on VK, Russia's Facebook equivalent. The image even has metadata that geolocates it to Syria, on the night of May fifteenth."

The photograph is of the Aloja, alongside the concrete wharf, showing the partial stern of a Russian transport ship and enough detail of the break-water to confirm the metadata location.

"Those Russians give away so much free intel," Eric says.

"Not as much as we do. The Chinese just vacuum it up," Linda responds. "But this is what we needed. Definitive proof that Aloja spoofed an AIS signature, to dash to Syria and meet a Russian transport, before heading to Zadar, and -- likely -- depositing the gold."

"Add this to the intelligence brief and we'll get Claude to discreetly share it with the UK, Spain, Croatia, and Monaco," Linda says. "We'll wait until they're ready before we release an Interpol warrant. If that ship is Russian, then I want it seized. It's insured for a hundred-eighty-million US dollars, so it's worth more than the gold."

By mid-afternoon, the team is back in a waiting state. It's already Friday evening in Europe, so Linda is not expecting anything further until Monday, at the earliest. She turns to the team and says, "Go home and get some rest. I expect next week will get hectic."

When she's ready to leave, Eva turns to Sienna and David, to say, "I'm going to make homemade pizza for Todd tonight, so I'll rush off... You two should go see a movie, or something. I'll see you on Monday," before departing.

Eric and Sienna look at each other for a few seconds, considering Eva's suggestion.

"There's probably nothing that we both want to see," says Sienna.

"I'd watch an opera, if that's what you wanted," Eric replies.

There would be more choice if we streamed something at home, she thinks, before turning away. No, she decides, that's too intimate for me to handle.

"It's probably best if we don't. I've got some stuff to catch up on. I'll see you on Monday," Sienna says, then departs the cubicle with a quick smile.

Damn, she thinks, why is it so hard?

Eric is disappointed with himself. He's overstepped their agreement. He was supposed to stick to harmless flirting, not words of devotion. He considers messaging an apology to her, before deciding that they have a workplace relationship only, so he'll keep their communications to work-hours.

Fuck, he thinks, maybe I should ask to end my transfer early?

~ Division du Renseignement Intérieur, Monaco, Saturday, June 17, 2023 ~

Monaco is a small country, with a small government. So the Police Department, who received the sensitive FBI request, also house their General Intelligence Division, the nation's security apparatus. There is no love for Russia in the department, so their analyst happily works over the weekend, in exchange for some days off, later in the week.

Since the Police Department also host the Marine and Airport Division, the photos from the Grand Prix tickets, that year, were readily available. The photographs, and passport details, of the Aloja's passengers and crew, are copied into a reply to the FBI.

~

As team leader, Linda is notified of Monaco's response at noon, on Sunday. She returns to work for two hours to assess the information, then forwards new requests, to both the CIA and FBI. She wants to keep this investigation moving, before the money can be used to cause further damage to the country.

~ FinCEN, 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Tyson's Corner, Monday, June 19, 2023 ~

On Monday, Eva and Eric are working in the office. Linda is working from home, as her kids are on summer break.

Sienna is also working remotely, in her apartment, refreshing her yearly mandatory training. She had just completed the annual 'Workplace Behaviors' course. It didn't forbid romance between staff, as she knew it wouldn't. Nor did it explain how to succeed with such a relationship, as she also knew it wouldn't. Her earlier satisfaction at the agreement she had reached with Eric was short-lived. She realizes they are still stuck in a holding-pattern, just in a different part of the sky.

She looks over to David's back. The statue is on the left of her desk again, turned away to look out the window.

"Maybe I'm just attracted to him because he's like you?" she says to the statue. "Of course, he doesn't have your curly hair, but he's got a body like yours. And he's funny, and caring."

Sienna thinks about what she has just said. Of course the statue doesn't have compassion, or a sense of humor. These are traits that she's projected onto it. The things she wants in a partner.

"Well, you've definitely got patience," she says to the statue, with a flat voice. "Hopefully, Eric does, too. I don't want him bringing some new girlfriend to our dinner."

~

"I'm sorry for what I said on Friday," Eva says to Eric, while they walk to the cafe together.

"For what?" he asks.

"For suggesting you and Sienna go to a movie together, as I left. I guess you didn't, did you?" she says.

"No."

"Yeah. I just figured you two would be great together, so I was trying to be a matchmaker. Like in some old romance novel," she admits. "But, you probably don't want my interference."

"It was a nice thought, but we're not seeing each other, yet," Eric replies.

"Yet?" Eva asks, with some interest.

"We've got a dinner date coming," he answers. "After I leave the team. We'll see what happens then."

"Oh," she says, then gives his answer some quiet consideration.

"You know," she resumes, "in matters of love, you don't have to care what the rest of us think. My husband is whiter than his singlets. When people see him with his arm around a black woman, we get some dirty looks. But, fuck 'em! We get a lot of smiles, too."

"If we jibe as well as you and Todd, then there won't be an issue. I think we're more worried about what happens if it turns sour," Eric explains.

"Well," Eva says, "as an amateur matchmaker, I wouldn't worry about that. I think you guys are made for each other."

~

That afternoon, a joint response to the Monaco intelligence package arrived. A sign that the CIA, along with the FBI, found this investigation significant enough to start sharing intel directly, at the analyst-to-analyst level.

Eric and Eva digest the brief report. Eric would like to call Sienna, to share the new information, and hear her voice. He knows it's more appropriate that he informs Linda first, as team leader. He settles for opening a group-chat, noting they are both online.

       [Wood,Eric] Just RX'd Monaco report from partner agencies .

       [Wood,Eric] Two persons of interest aboard Aloja:

       [Wood,Eric] Pax - Kirill Gadar. Financial oligarch, Putin connections.

       [Wood,Eric] Crew -- Ivan Sokolov. SVR(?). Face matched/false name given.

[Piccrillo,Sienna]More evidence of Russian involvement! Or is it?

       [Wood,Eric] I suspect Gadar owns Aloja. Charter company is a ruse.

       [Wood,Eric] Aloja not getting enough use per year to be a profitable rental.

      [Tidell,Eva] Note, Sokolov is now in New York -- on DIP passport. Arrived June 2

  [Petowski,Linda] Then FBI will be on Sokolov. Ask for phone logs pls Eric.

  [Petowski,Linda] Eva, see what you can find in the bio database, re: both.

      [Tidell,Eva] Will do

[Piccrillo,Sienna] I wasn't expecting a response so soon. I'll be in the office tomorrow.

  [Petowski,Linda] Me too. See you all then.

       [Wood,Eric] ACK.

      [Tidell,Eva] Bye

~ FinCEN, 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Tyson's Corner, Tuesday, June 20, 2023 ~

The FBI were tapping the cell phone of Ivan Sokolov. The contact number he wrote on his immigration form was active and triangulation by the network showed that the phone was traveling between Astoria, in Queens, and the United Nations building, each work day.

Eric and Linda read the transcripts for the handful of calls made by Sokolov. None appeared to be of relevance to the case.

"What do we think Sokolov's involvement is?" Linda asked the team.

"SVR. Military before that. I'd guess he's the muscle, by the look of him," Sienna replies.

"Yeah, he looks like a thug. But he was on Aloja and seems to be running solo in New York. They obviously trust him," Eric adds.

"Would they trust him with seventy-million euros?" Eva asks. "I mean, maybe Kirill Gadar didn't even go to Syria to collect the gold. Sokolov might have been protecting the shipment, rather than the oligarch."

"Possibly. Kirill may have only boarded at Zadar, or Messina, when they stopped to refuel on the way to Monaco," says Linda. "But why would Sokolov stay onboard when the gold had already been deposited? I think he's more than just a guard. He's actively involved in the laundering and that's why he's in New York; to facilitate the next stage of transfers. Kirill wouldn't feel safe coming to America, so he needed a man-on-the-ground."

"Kirill's probably not safe in Moscow, either. Oligarchs have been falling out of windows at a surprising rate. But if Sokolov's involved, then we should ask the FBI to tail him," Eric advises.

"Agreed, he's the best lead we've got, at the moment. I hope the bureau isn't short-staffed over the summer break," Linda responds.

~ FinCEN, 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Tyson's Corner, Thursday, June 22, 2023 ~

After the first day of surveillance, it was evident that Sokolov didn't spend the day with his cell phone. The handset, being monitored by the FBI, was carried to the United Nations building by a Russian office worker, before being returned in the evening. Meanwhile, Sokolov ran errands in Astoria throughout the day, and was photographed with a different cell phone.

Eric waited for Eva to finish reading the FBI surveillance report.

"So, he's using a burner phone," she concludes.

"It looks that way," Eric agreed. "But we haven't seen him make any calls, so can't correlate his phone with carrier logs."

Sienna joins the discussion, "We need that cell number to get a warrant."

"Unfortunately, there's a lot of phones in Queens," says Eric.

"Yes, but they stay on all day," Eva responds. "Nobody turns their phone off these days -- but Sokolov is. He doesn't want the two phones sharing the same metadata; like cell-hopping when he gets out of an elevator, or enters the subway. So he only has one going at a time. We could look at the IMSI attach and detach signals, to find the phone that's only turning on while his known handset is at the UN."

"That's a mountain of metadata. And the burner could be connected through any of the carriers," Eric points out.

"Yes. But only a tiny portion of the logs are IMSI attach or detach events," Eva says. "I can exclude all the software-update reboots and such, they only go offline for a minute or two. We just need to find the handset doing a longer cycle. It's not Excel analysis -- I'd need to write some Python code, but I think I can do it."

123456...9