Stephen's Story Ch. 03: Queen

Story Info
The Professor and Molly continue to tell stories.
4.2k words
4
908
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 02/17/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stephen's Stories 4. The Dragon Queen

Molly and Stephen and their story-telling were introduced in "The Professor series," but they continued to write stories and share them with one another. Stephen's stories will appear in the Romance category. Molly's stories continue the Dominance/Submission theme of the original series and will appear under BDSM.

"Have you figured out who the queen is yet?" Molly asked. "Fairy tales always need a good villain."

"Maybe she isn't really a villain after all. I think she is just misunderstood."

"Oh, no. A post-modern fairy tale."

"Right into the twenty-first century."

"Groan. Let's have it."

Part II. The Queen

Princess Camilla grew up in a small kingdom in uneasy times. Her mother was dead and her father the king, whom she adored, was in ailing health. She and her eight-year-old sister Brista were the only heirs, but she had three uncles who all craved the throne. As Camilla grew through her teens, her father became increasingly dependent on her to assist him, so she gradually learned how to rule the kingdom. Like him, she loved the kingdom and wanted above all to protect the welfare of the people. To do that, she had to prevent the uncles from seizing power.

A neighboring principality, sensing the weakness of the kingdom, allowed some lesser barons to send raids across the border, stealing cattle and looting outlying villages. The king was too weak to lead an army and was afraid to give that much authority to any of his brothers. However, without royal leadership, the defenses were too weak deter the robbers.

"Perhaps I should get married," Camilla suggested as she discussed the problems with her father.

"That time will come when someone can be found worthy of you. I think it is best now to introduce you to Soral." Soral was an old woman who lived in the castle. Camilla always felt uneasy around her, and readily believed the rumors that she was a witch. However, her father respected Soral and occasionally consulted her in private. Now, as trouble came he urged Camilla to do the same.

"What does Soral have to do with this?" Camilla protested nervously.

"People don't give her her due. She is wise in her own way. Now help me up and we will call upon her.

Soral was sitting alone in her room, as she usually did. "Come in," she called in response to their knock on her door. "I have been expecting you. The teakettle is already on the fire."

The king and princess entered the room. Soral, who had not risen from her chair waved at the kettle in which water was boiling and at three cups on a small table. She was expecting the visit, but how, Camilla did not know how. Soral did not look at either of her visitors directly, but her gestures indicated that she expected Camilla to serve. Camilla was irked by this lack of deference to her royal status, but her father had always shown deference to Soral.

"Soral, it is time for my daughter to make your acquaintance," the king said when all were served.

"High time. Almost too late. Come here child."

As Camilla scooted her chair close, Soral studied her. She took Camilla's hand in her own and held it in silence for a long time with her eyes closed. Camilla glanced at her father, but he only shook his head to direct her attention back to the old women.

At last Soral spoke. "You are a remarkable young lady; but you will need all your strength for the coming battles. You will have some difficult and important decisions to make. Now tell me your heart's desire."

Camilla felt it impossible to hold back with this woman. "I wish to rule. I wish to be a good queen so that my people will know peace and prosperity."

"That is a good wish. A difficult wish. You have a good heart, child. You will need to make many sacrifices. You can become the queen that you want to be, but don't expect the people to love you for it. What is it that troubles you today?"

Camilla had so many questions, but she sensed she would not learn by asking them. Briefly, she summarized their current plight.

"You have a good understanding of your father's cares." She spoke as though she had already known about the border raids and only wanted to test Camilla's perception. "Listen closely, there is a hill that overlooks the village of Carford from the east. The hill is called Dragon's Head. On the night of the next new moon, take an ox and tie it to a stake there. Do this in person. Do not remain on the hill yourself, but set a guard at a distance to make sure no human disturbs the ox. Then you may watch from a position of safety." She turned to the king. "It was a pleasure to meet your daughter."

The king rose and thanked her for the tea. With a tilt of his head to his daughter, he signaled it was time to leave.

"What was that all about?" Camilla asked, indignant.

"Do as she says, and learn. The new moon is in a week. Carford is about four days from here and that is where the raiders have been. Take a strong escort with you, but do not engage the thieves. You won't be strong enough. The only purpose of your soldiers is to protect you."

That was all Camilla could get out of him; but she made her preparations.

As they neared Carford, they could see farmhouses burning. The raiders were still nearby, poised to attack the town itself. The princess and her guards took care not to challenge them and did not enter the town, but stayed on the other side of Dragon's Head sheltered by a low ridge that skirted the town. At the appointed time, an ox was staked on the crown of the hill. The guard was positioned at the foot of the hill to protect the approaches, while Camilla found a perch for herself protected by large boulders with a good view of both the peak and the town.

The night was quiet and dark. If she had not been forcing herself to stay awake by poking her arm with a needle, she might have missed the large shadow that glided across the stars and landed on the hillside. The ox lowed and made a panicked squeal and there was silence again.

Camilla continued to watch until a glow appeared on the eastern horizon. She heard a trumpet blare and sounds of horses moving toward the town. A watchman cried out and shouting men gathered to protect the houses. Now there was a rustle of wings from the hill and she looked up to see an enormous dragon lift into the air. It circled twice and dove toward the attacking band. Horses reared and stampeded. Men were thrown to the ground and began to run away. It took the defenders a few moments to comprehend the opportunity, then they charged into the disorganized marauders and began slaughtering them.

When the commotion had ended an hour later, half of the attackers lay dead or captured; the rest scattered and were running for their lives. Two of the villagers had been injured and the town was wealthier by many captured and recovered horses and livestock.

Only Camilla had had a good view of the dragon. After terrorizing the field, the dragon had paused briefly near her and caught her eye, as through to say, 'We have settled a bargain.' Then he vanished.

When her guard returned to the castle, they had no coherent story to tell, except that the villagers had driven off the raid. Camilla sought out Soral, who listened patiently to her story.

"The world is a mysterious place," she replied. "The power that sent the dragon did not do so to help you. It was hungry and wanted to eat the ox. You merely created a situation that also helped your people. You accessed great power; but it comes at a cost. Last week that cost was only an ox. Next time it will be much higher."

Peace returned to the kingdom for the time being; but as her father's health continued to decline, Camilla's uncles became more restless. They reasoned that it would be easier to seize the throne before an heir was officially recognized. They had no inclination to cooperate with one another and divide power; but once one brother started to make a move the others could not afford to be left behind.

When word came to the palace that the uncles were gathering their forces, Camilla sought out Soral for advice.

Soral held Camilla's eyes for a long time and then stared into the fireplace. "I see the palace in ruins. The guard is dead. You father's corpse lies with its throat cut and his brains spattered on his bed. His daughter is led away in chains to rot in the dungeon."

"Who has done this?"

"Three jealous brothers. And they will fight over the spoils until there is no wealth to be had and no kingdom to rule."

"And who is there to rule?"

"The lands will be divided by vultures from the neighboring states. It is finished."

"And Brista and I?"

"Neither to be heard from again. One is imprisoned underground. The other flees with a groom to escape the carnage. She is raised to live and die as a peasant, never remembering her family or position in life."

"No! This shall not happen. What can we do to stop it?"

"The price is high." Soral did not take her eyes from the fire.

"Anything. I will sacrifice myself, if necessary."

"That is not enough. The fates do not ask what they have already."

"What do you mean?"

"If you want the dragons to come to your assistance, you must offer them what they need. A young woman."

"If that is what it will take, I will give myself. On the hill at Carford?"

"Not you. The dragons have only to wait and they can feast on the flesh of every woman in the palace. Except one."

"Oh, no."

"It is the only way."

"I can't."

"It is the only way."

"But you would die, too."

"It doesn't matter. I am old."

"How can I talk with them. Perhaps . . ."

"They will talk to you. On the new moon. There is a sacred grove not far from the castle. A clearing with a rocky outcrop. Go there. They will find you."

Camilla staggered away from Soral's room. She had to stop this premonition from coming true. But Brista? Unthinkable. The new moon was only a day away.

Camilla knew the sacred grove and knew it would be deserted at night. She went there alone and waited. She saw nothing, but in the middle of the darkness a voice entered her consciousness.

You seek powers.

"I seek help," she answered out loud.

Tell us.

"Enemy forces - bad people - are coming to attack us. We are not strong enough to resist them."

You ask this for yourself.

"I ask this for all the innocent people of the kingdom."

The kingdom must pay a price.

"I am offering myself."

That is not possible.

"Tell me what I must do."

A princess.

"I am a princess."

But you are asking for help for your kingdom. You must give us a princess.

"Not a little girl. Not my sister."

Over the next weeks, the rebellious forces gathered strength and began to invade the edges of the kingdom. Desperately, Camilla sought a different solution. She dared not confide her dilemma in another person, especially her father. Soral had nothing more to offer.

"What if my father asked for help and offered me in exchange? What if Brista spoke with them?"

"It is too late for that. They have chosen to speak to you."

"Can you go?"

"I am lame. You have already made the request. It is up to you to offer the sacrifice."

The rebel army arrived and lay siege to the castle. The king lay as an invalid on his bed. Clearly, it was only a matter of time before the garrison was forced to surrender, and Camilla was not certain whether the soldiers felt any loyalty to her. She had put off her decision as long as possible.

And old family servant approached her quietly and knelt. "Your Highness, tonight is the new moon. It will be dark. If you approve, I believe I can slip through the enemy lines with Princess Bistra. I have family in the country who will take care of her until the fighting is over. Her chances will be better than staying here."

This was the scenario Soral had foreseen. Brista would be safe, never remembering that she was a princess; but Camilla would spend the rest of her life in prison while her kingdom was destroyed. She could not accept that. She could not sacrifice the entire populace. "Thank you for your brave offer. We have other plans that will make that unnecessary."

In the morning the uncles prepared for their final assault. The glittering ranks of armor lined up in front of the gates only awaiting the order to attack. Out of the sky appeared a phalanx of dragons that swept across the ranks blasting them with fire. Using teeth and talons, they slashed through the soldiers and their horses. Those who tried to organize resistance were swept away. The rest fled the terrible carnage. Two of the uncles were among the dead.

As the palace celebrated its miraculous deliverance, the king died and pages were sent to find the princesses. After a long search, Princess Camilla was discovered sobbing in the chapel. Princess Brista was never found.

Coronation Day approached, Camilla sought forgiveness from Soral. "Only you understood my choice. Did I do the right thing?"

"Sometimes there is no good choice. Many people died because of your act; many more are alive because of it. But your trials are not over."

Camilla knelt in front of her. Soral took her hand and held it as she meditated.

"Even now someone plots your life. Beware of poison."

Shocked, Camilla left Soral's quarters and sought out her steward. She told him she had heard rumors of an attempt on her. "You must find me a loyal taster." Then she retired to her own chambers.

Her ladies were waiting for her. They were in high spirits as they looked forward to the ceremonies. One of them suggested a bottle of wine might cheer up the princess, so they sent for one. Although mostly absorbed in her own thoughts, Camilla did notice that one of her ladies seemed very particular about which chalice was placed in front of the queen. The queen challenged her to switch goblets and watched as, ashen-faced, she drank and collapsed with a fatal dose.

Rumors of war returned. Not satisfied with his escape, her remaining uncle was still plotting. An assassination would be the simplest solution, especially since he would be next in line; but he had tried that and failed. This time he conspired with neighboring barons to join with him in overthrowing the new queen.

Camilla sought out Soral once again. "I have no one else to turn to," she lamented.

"You know how to find help. And you know that it comes at a price. You don't need me anymore. I never could make decisions for you; but now I have shown you where to find the questions."

The next day, Camilla returned to the grove. There, beside the path was a clutch of eggs. As she knelt beside them, they began to hatch. Tiny dragons came out.

The voice returned. This is my family.

"I have much to thank you for."

If you take one of my children, it will protect you.

She reached out to pet of the hatchlings. "So cute."

And if you fail to take care of it, I will punish you.

She picked it up. "How can I take care of it?"

Do us no harm. Feed it when it is hungry.

"And I will be safe?"

It will protect you.

As if to illustrate that point, a snake crawled out of the ground and began working its way toward Camilla. Almost immediately, the infant wriggled out of her arms and bit the head off the snake.

Caring secretly for a baby dragon was easier that she might imagine. It disappeared in the presence of others, becoming visible when it needed to be fed. It happily subsisted on meat and fish, and she could feed it with the leftovers from her own meals.

No longer needing to fear for her own safety, the new queen had to pay attention to the coming war. Her own forces were small and divided in their loyalty. She doubted her uncle could trust his own allies, but for now they were arrayed against her. She went once again to Soral.

The seer had become increasingly frail and nearly blind. "Madam, what does the future hold?"

The old woman held her hand for a long time. "What do you most desire?"

"To be a good queen to my people. To see them prosperous and at peace."

"Good. That is still your heart. Peace is ahead of you, if you survive the next trial. Your pet protects only you. Are you prepared to sacrifice yourself?"

Camilla lowered her face and struggled for control. 'If that is what is necessary."

"Not in the way you think." Soral fall back in her chair, exhausted.

The next day, the serving girl who was taking her food found Soral dead in her bed.

Once more the castle prepared for defense against overwhelming odds. Camilla sought solace in the grove.

You seek power.

I seek help for my people. Once again enemies gather against us. Even now they are destroying our villages and farms.

You seek help for others in your heart.

She bowed her head.

There is a cavern under the rock.

Camilla looked and found a small opening under a rocky outcrop. Inside was a hoard of gold coin - enough to hire an army.

"I owe you much."

Your heart. Know your limits.

Twice Soral had asked about her heart's desire and she answered for her people. Twice the dragon had a offered her powers and she had sought protection for her people. This must be what the voice was telling her. Do not be greedy for money or power; only for propserity of her people.

She negotiated for an army of mercenaries, and they arrived in time to check the invasion. After a critical battle, her uncle and his confederates were driven away and sued for peace. For the time being, the queen did not have to worry about war; but the threat of assassination was still real and wore upon her.

Camilla was now 24. Suitors were arriving from surrounding lands, and there was pressure on her to marry and have an heir. When the issues of the day grew too great, she retreated to her grove to meditate. Her dragon was growing and was more demanding for food. She had chickens tethered in the grove for it but soon it was large enough that it required a sheep every week. Usually her dragon appeared to her whenever she went there. He was now as large as she.

When she had chosen a husband, she visited the grove on the eve of her wedding. Her dragon spoke to her with a voice in her head.

I cannot stay with your forever. When you have a husband I will join my brothers and sisters.

"I wish you would stay. No one else need know about you. Not even the king."

I will continue to grow and I will need a different food.

"What do grown dragons eat?"

I will require a young woman. Every month at the new moon. Can you provide that?

The queen was shocked. "No. I understand. I will miss you. Will I lose your protection?"

Yes. But there is a way you can protect yourself.

"How is that?"

Become part of my family. Offer yourself to my mother.

"For her to eat me?"

No. (She had never heard her dragon laugh before.) You will stay a queen. Your body will become nearly invulnerable. You may live for hundreds of years, and you will never grow old. You will always be as beautiful as you are today.

"And neither my husband nor my uncle can hurt me?"

I promise.

"He will grow old."

And eventually die. But you will stay young. You will take another husband.

"And my kingdom?"

It prospers. You will have brother dragons to command to protect it.

She already had the wealth she needed. She did not desire a larger or more powerful kingdom. Here was an opportunity to ensure the well-being of her people for generations. "Know your limits," she recalled. These are the limits she set for herself. "What must I do?"

Come here at the next new moon. We will be waiting for you.

12