Sting of the Scorpion Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And also..." I said, "if we can ever get Molly to move up to this area, I'd have no problem with her and Ross and the new baby living here."

"That'd be nice, but she was born to be a police officer, and she pretty much can't work for the TCPD with me here, at least not with the Detectives." Cindy said. "Those pesky nepotism regulations, ya know."

"Yep." I said. "But it's a thought, just something to file away for the future." I felt more than saw those ice blue eyes snap onto me.

"Oh, you're up to something." Cindy said, peering at me. "Care to tell me what it is?"

"Not yet. And it may not happen." I said. "But let's go out on deck. I want to talk to you about something else." We went downstairs and out on the deck, taking the folding chairs I'd brought from the back of the SUV.

Once seated and looking out over the view in the slight breeze, I told Cindy everything about the SBI Agents' visit concerning Sharples. "A couple of things came to me as I talked to them. First, Sharples was possibly on to something about the child trafficking, which we now have an idea is the Oldeeds Organization. Second, he was either turned or became jaded, and began his pattern of setting up crimes and then 'solving' them. He's been doing that here, and there have been threats made against him, as well."

"If he's dirty, and worse, if he's begun committing murders, then he is too dangerous to leave in place." Cindy said.

"I agree." I said. "But ask yourself this: why is Sharples so protected everywhere he goes? He always gets the Police Unions behind him, then moves on when he begins wearing out their welcome and becomes too hot to hold."

"So you're idea is to get the Union to turn on him?" Cindy asked. I was pleased that she was beginning to think the right way, though she'd missed an important part of the question.

"That's part of it." I said. "But I don't want to just run him off, not anymore. I don't want him to be anyone else's problem, and if he is killing people, we've got to shut him down."

I continued: "So here's what I'm thinking of doing. We give Sharples the Oldeeds child trafficking case. We give him the info that we have with those threads to child trafficking, put him on that scent. I think he'll bite at the chance to actually solve the cases he was working on all those years before. It gets him out of the way, it actually might get some productive use out of him, and he might just uncover some of the threads to some of the Bad Boys around these here parts."

I went on: "And he might actually have to cross some of his buddies, who will then not trust or use him anymore, rendering him less harmful. We, meaning you, Teresa, and myself, will be watching him. If he avoids working with the people he normally works with, avoids contacting people he usually contacts, and he does that because he actually is working on the case, we might infer some things from his actions. And if he does step on some toes, we'll see how that plays out, as well."

"Yep, and it's an interesting idea." Cindy said. "But I get the feeling you have reservations about it, which is why you're talking to me."

"Yes, Crowbar 2," I said, "that is right. My first reservation is that he simply might be assassinated, and if it were considered a line-of-duty death and he was honored the same way Feeley was... that would tear me apart."

"You and a lot of other people." Cindy said, thinking of Tanya Perlman.

"And the second thing is what you're thinking about." I said. "What if he starts trying to find Oldeeds's killer and comes across something... something we'd rather not be brought up."

"Yep." Cindy said. "The chances of that are slim and none, but it's the 'slim' that worries me. I'd just as soon as that stay closed and untouched forever."

"Well, as long as my first red crowbar hangs on the wall of my office," I said, "there is no way in hell they'll ever get a guilty verdict for that wonderful extermination. But you're right, we don't want to stir up the hornet's nest there. So, Crowbar 2, what would you do?"

Cindy answered, giving her reasons. I agreed with them.

Then she changed the subject: "There is one other thing I wanted to bring up, and here and now is good. That classified file on 'Scorpion' is bugging me, pun not intended. I want to find this Widow Athena Jones and see what she can tell me. She may have some answers as to why that file was there. And I had this distinct impression that she was hanging around the Square and watching us the other day when we were at lunch."

"Go for it." I authorized. "Just keep it discreet, and let me know anything you find. But if you start stepping on the FBI's toes, back off and touch base with me ASAP."

"Wilco." Cindy said.

Part 17 - Entropy: Order and Chaos

At 3:45pm, still Wednesday, May 13th, I had Lt. Teresa Croyle bring Detective Leonard Sharples into Classroom 'C', Vice's meeting room, for an assignment. I already had the Union rep in the room, and had informed him of what was to take place. With the Union rep already there, Sharples couldn't complain about me trying to harass him. I had also already talked to FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone about it.

After everyone was seated, I said "Detective Sharples, you're currently on restricted duty pending the Board of Inquiry of the officer-involved shooting you were a part of. While you're waiting on that to be resolved, I have an assignment for you. It's something of an older case, but it involves child trafficking, and we have some indications that the group we think was doing it before is about to start it up again, and right here in our County. I am aware that you previously investigated a child trafficking ring while you were in Texas, so this will be right up your alley."

Sharples looked at me warily, but I'd seen the spark of interest in his otherwise cold, dark eyes behind the slits in his face that partially hid them. "How did you know I'd investigated child trafficking in the past?" he asked, a question I'd anticipated.

"Oh, the FBI told me." I said. "They've been looking into this on a national level. The information I'll be giving you will show the possibility of this County being used as a conduit for them." I took a photograph out of the file folder in front of me and slid it over in front of Sharples. "Do you recognize that man?"

"Uhh.." Sharples said, looking at it, shock on his face. "That's... Jonas Oldeeds, the tele-evangelist. He was killed here, a couple of years ago."

"Yes, he was killed right here, in this very County." I said emphatically. "And I think he was trying to come in and set up a child trafficking operation. His Ministries are based in Texas, and he may have been behind the trafficking rings down there, as well."

I slid the entire file, which really did not have a lot in it, to Sharples. "Detective Sharples," I intoned with a severity of importance, "this is not a small case. I'm not hopeful that you can get anything actionable on it, but one thing is for sure: I intend to stop these bastards and we will pursue it to the ends of the earth if we get something. We won't be trying to sweep it under the rug nor allow ourselves to be intimidated or bribed into stopping our investigation. And if you're able to uncover anything relating to this ring or other criminal activities associated with it, it would be a great credit to your career."

"Yes sir." said Sharples. His eyes were still wary, and I could see the gears turning in his head, but I also saw what I wanted to see... avid interest. Sharples was hooked; this bait had gotten him. I knew from the SBI agents that he'd been taken off previous child trafficking cases, probably by corrupt officials that had been bribed or threatened to do so. But Sharples knew that I wasn't kidding when I said we'd pursue it and not back down. And accolades were his lodestone. We'd see if this would get him distracted from 'creating' busts in the near future.

"Get to work, Detective. The computer wires won't melt with heavy use." I said. "Make sure to inform Lieutenant Croyle of anything you find, as soon as you find it." With that, I got up and left the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That afternoon I received a package by FedEx. After signing for it at the Duty Desk, I went to my office and opened it. It was from Mr. Ichigawa of Ichimoku Industries.

The report contained an investigation of Jennifer Morris, which had been started after Ichigawa had learned of Ken Konnichi's affair with her. They had found that Jennifer Morris had divorced Rep. Justin Madoff, but that she and Madoff still had very frequent contact by cellphone, not bothering to attempt to use burners. This cellphone activity had greatly increased just as Jennifer was seducing Konnichi and as their affair developed.

Ichigawa's report stated that there was no information that Konnichi had obtained any industrial secrets beyond those to which he was already privy. His financial records, which were included in the package, did not show any indication of payments to Jennifer nor from her, nor to or from anyone else.

I sent an email profusely thanking Ichigawa for his cooperation, and had the file put into evidence in the Morris/Konnichi murder case.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The meeting with Chief Bennett was long. I recounted the SBI Agents' discussion of Sharples, and my using that knowledge to give Sharples the trafficking case. I then told the Chief that Sharples did not deserve any medals, and that the Morris/Konnichi murders still needed further investigation, giving him an outline of the information learned from the employers of two of the victims.

"That's good." said the Chief. "The Union rep has no idea what to do about that assignment you gave Sharples. They don't understand it, they can't complain about it, and they're just dumbfounded at you for giving it to him. But let me fill you in on our real problem: the KSTD lawsuit."

The Chief started: "First, I'm aware that your former wife was one of the women taped with Jack Burke. And I'm aware that she is now the Sheriff's wife, and the potential for scandal that could ensue for him. So you can speak freely with me about that if you need to."

I nodded as Bennett continued: "Second, Judge Nance tried to take the case into his docket without it being assigned, and Folsom lit him up for it. Folsom is going to take the case himself, as is his prerogative as the Chief Judge of the Superior Court for this District. KSTD is making noises about appealing that ruling, though they have no grounds, and State Senator Katherine Woodburn has now weighed in, demanding the tapes be released or that I resign."

"Gee!" I said sarcastically, "Senator Woodburn must really want me to be Chief of Police here." Bennett laughed out loud at that one.

He said "That is exactly what Sheriff Allgood told her, and also what he said in public within the hearing of the Press, that you'd actually take the job to keep it out of Brownlee's hands if that's what it came to. Woodburn shut up after that, and has not attempted to interfere again."

"That's one coup d'etat averted." I said. "What else?"

"Brownlee made a 'friend of the Court' filing supporting KSTD's position that the records are public now that the case is over, that the O.R.A. does apply to those records, and that my concealment of them is breaking the law." said Bennett. "You know, that guy really doesn't seem to get it. Woodburn does, but Brownlee doesn't."

"Yes." I said. "And a very, very instructive example, don't you think?" The Chief just peered at me, not comprehending.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On Thursday, May 14th, I took most of the day off. The Cabin was finished. It was inspected and signed off upon by Fire Marshal Zoe Singer personally, and the papers were all done, making it mine... well, mine and the Bank's. I had the first articles of furniture brought in: a large, solid desk for my office, a king-sized bed for the master bedroom, one soft leather sofa for the greatroom, and deck furniture for the deck out back. Oh yes, and some equipment for the wine cellar...

Last, but not least, I called Paulina Patterson and asked the lovely black ADA if she'd like a tour of the Cabin Friday night... and if she'd like to help me 'break it in'. Her voice was sultry and sensuous as she accepted... and reminded me that it would be her most fertile time. Was that luck, or good planning on my part? You make the call.

At 10:30pm, Laura got home. I observed my wife as she entered our Mountain Nest home. She looked totally exhausted, both mentally and physically.

"Mommy!" yelled out Carole, who I was holding as we sat on the sofa. Putting her suitcase down, Laura smiled brightly, new life surging into her as she took our daughter into her arms, and a warm hug was exchanged.

"Oh, how's my baby girl?!" Laura said happily. "Have you been a good girl?" she asked. She went into the den and sat down, holding Carole and talking with her. I picked up Jim and held him; he was falling asleep very quickly. Bowser was lying in the middle of the den floor, surreptitiously watching Carole and her mother.

"Rough week?" I asked.

"Yes." Laura said, glancing over at me. "Very rough. After Carole goes to sleep and I can put her to bed, we'll talk."

That took a good few minutes, as Carole was exploring Laura's necklace, then turning and saying "Bowser" to the dog as she displayed the necklace in her little hand. Finally, Carole went to sleep, we put the kids in their beds, I gave Bowser a good night skritchin' before he settled into his basket under Carol's crib, and Laura and I went to the den to talk.

"All I can tell you," Laura said, "is that the guy you hit had a fractured skull, a broken nose, and glass fragments in his eyes. That crowbar really is a devastating weapon. My agents all want crowbars for themselves."

"Smart guys." I said. "So what happened?"

"They broke. After settling Ivy and her husband somewhere in Washington State, I went on to the interrogation location. We might have been across the border in Canada when we interrogated them." Laura said. That was one way to avoid breaking numerous laws, I thought to myself.

"And here I was, thinking Canada was our ally." I said. "I think P. Harvey Eckhart fled to Canada once, when the FBI was after him. That had to be over a quarter of a century ago, though."

"I do remember reading something about that.." Laura said. "And don't forget those who deserted to avoid being sent to Viet Nam. But enough of that... the perp you injured broke easily; he was already in pain. The other one required some extra.. medication... to make him more 'cooperative'. The one you hit was from San Francisco. The other one was from the City, just 90 miles east of here. They were former mercenaries that had worked in Africa, became professional hit men, and they were both hired to kill Ivy and her family. They said they had a contact via burner phones, but they had no phones on them when we captured them. They did not know who Michael Burke was at all, but they knew who Henry Wargrave was... but only as a somewhat celebrity billionaire. There really was nothing else of value, to you or to us."

"Mercenaries from Africa, knew who Wargrave was, not hard to make the connection." I mused. "One from the City, that makes sense; the other from San Francisco, closer to Ivy's location, that also makes sense. What does not make sense is why they're using a triphammer to crush a nut. Not one but two assassins, coordinated plan, using high-tech gear such as night vision devices. This was nothing less than a full-scale paramilitary operation."

"You're right." Laura said. "I thought they might've taken into account that Ivy once worked with me in a CIA capacity, but they didn't know anything about Ivy. They were just hired to kill her and her family. It was just a job to them, no questions asked, no need to know anything else. So that wasn't the reason for the overkill that you're discussing. Now whoever wanted them dead, that's another range of issues."

"And easy to answer." I said. "Let me put it in the form of a question: if Ivy were to be killed, how would that make you feel, Laura?"

"I... I'd be devastated." Laura said. "Ivy's a good person, she was loyal to me when I needed her to be... oh. I see."

"Yes." I said. "I've wondered why Wargrave helped Burke find out the Jack Burke story... it interested him, Wargrave, the minute your name came up. And when there's a chance to kill one of your former agents, or perhaps 'associate' is a better word, Wargrave was quite willing to help Burke kill Ivy."

"I think you're right, as usual." Laura said.

"I also suspect we won't be hearing from those bozos, ever again, seeing as you've been referring to them in the past tense all night." I said.

"No comment on that." Laura replied. "Well, I'm exhausted. I want to take a long soak in the hot tub, then get some sleep."

"I don't blame you." I said. We headed upstairs, where Laura soaked in the hot tub while I dozed on the bed. When I felt her getting into bed with me, I took her in my arms."

"No sex tonight." Laura said. "Just hold me, okay?"

"Sure." I said. "I guess those horny agents wore you out, eh?"

Laura smiled. "A couple of them did." she said. "And since you men have to know these things: one of them was pretty well hung, the other was average. Anyway, it's stressful work; they needed a release, and so did I. My breasts were aching because they were so full of milk, and the guys were soooo nice in volunteering to help me out with that. They took turns making love with me until I got too sore to keep going." She caressed my cock as she said "That turns you on, doesn't it?"

"Yeahhhh..." I whispered sleepily, pretty tired myself and more interested in sleep than sex.

"So... you're not going to tell me, are you?" Laura said, now caressing my balls. This could be heaven or this could be hell, as that song 'Hotel California' said...

"How I know my so-called mother-in-law's name?" I said, grinning. "I can't believe you haven't figured it out yet."

"I'm too tired." Laura said, letting my balls go. "But no blowjob for you tomorrow morning."

"That's okay." I said. "I have a date tomorrow night."

"Mmm, you hot and sexy stud..." Laura said. She was falling asleep. I thought about all the connections of the latest spider web being spun the last few days in my Town & County... or perhaps it was a Scorpion's web, I thought as I closed my eyes for a mom---

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the same time, Cindy was busy doing her research on the 'secure' lines in the second bedroom of her condo. She was wearing a peach see-thru teddy nightgown and high heel slides, more for comfort than for showing off her magnificent body and shaping her luscious legs.

"Ah, here's something." she said. It was a classified file about an arms purchase. She recognized the name Joseph 'Jody' Corrigan, former leader of the now-defunct rogue CIA cell. The Agency and FBI had found evidence of a purchase of arms by him.

"Oh my Godddddd..." she whispered to herself as she saw the details. The weapons were the ones used at the Olivet Gym the night of ... oh geez, it was the night she was shot and wounded. And those weapons were supplied by 'Acme Wholesale Firearms'... and personally handled and delivered by one Henry R. Wargrave.

Cold fire swept through Cindy's mind and body. Wargrave had sold those weapons with the intent and purpose of Police being shot. Maybe the Iron Crowbar was the target, which was bad enough... but she had suffered for Wargrave's perfidy.

And she vowed that Wargrave would suffer in kind. He would pay.

"Cin-deeee!" came a voice from the living room just at that moment. Jenna was just getting home.