Storm World Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RipperFish
RipperFish
2,518 Followers

"I understand meters and have a fair grasp of how Humans measure time," she assured him.

"Well, as the crow flies, it's about two hundred meters." Benjamin wiped his brow again and took out his canteen. "I figure with all the twists we have to take, we've got forty-five minutes ahead of us."

"You are tired," she said. "Rest."

"No." He shook his head and then drank deeply from his canteen. "We need to get a move on. With the way I cut back the brush, I'm sort of expecting trouble along the way if we don't hurry. I already saw sign of a poly-pod. Not the biggest I've ever seen, but big enough to be dangerous."

With that inducement the cats lifted their burden and marched on. As Benjamin had said, he had cleared a path through the undergrowth with his machete. He had taken pains to make it wide enough for the bier to pass without needing to slow down. In one place he had even cleared a space around a pair of upright stones rather than going between them. The stones on casual inspection looked almost as if they had been placed there by intelligent hands, though it was obvious from what the party knew of the island and the planet in general that the stones must have fallen from the cliff above. It made them all glance up through the dense canopy and wonder if there were more stones waiting to fall.

It felt as if time dragged and the journey with their burden would never end. Sooner than any had guessed, though, they rounded a face of vine covered stone and recognized familiar surroundings, though they had only seen this place on the night of their crash. Relief flooded over the bearers when they understood their task was nearly at an end. To their bewilderment Benjamin made an urgent gesture for them to halt and wait.

"What is happening?" Liat `del Qha asked softly from the rear of the group. She stooped to look under the bier, but saw nothing to enlighten her.

"We do not know, Pilot," Chep `Urt vEss said, sounding tense. "The Human has signaled a halt. He goes ahead to investigate, I think."

"Yes," confirmed M`peth qHo. "He crouches to examine the ground.

"Should we set down the machines?" asked TaH `Kiy mTh.

"If he does not return soon," M`peth qHo replied tersely. Her patience, especially with him, had worn thin.

She did not wish to set their load down only to have to lift it again if Benjamin returned and signaled all clear a moment later. To everyone's relief, that was precisely what he did. Though all were exceeding curious, none questioned him until they entered the grotto and then their questions were all but answered by the presence of a large crustacean of some kind that had been thoroughly and messily killed near the entrance. Small scavengers were pulling at bloody bits and some struggled with each other over the prize.

Benjamin took M`peth qHo's place on the bier and Tem l`eth tong rushed over to relieve Ima` Nef`Tn. With a last effort the group crossed the grotto and deposited the machines on the floor near the workbench. Tem l`eth tong spared no words at first, but when she straightened from her inspection of the components she was smiling and her tail was licking the air with satisfaction.

"These are better than I had hoped, Commander," the veteran purred.

"Is the motor really large enough to push the boat?" M`peth qHo asked, rubbing her shoulder and twisting to get a kink out of her back.

"More than powerful enough," the engineer confirmed.

"It does not look as though it could move enough air," Chep `Urt vEss said.

"Air?" asked Tem l`eth tong, amused. "It will push water, not air, Gunner. I plan to mount it under the stern. That intake is quite large enough and the fan blades look as if they are made of a titanium alloy."

"But it is an electric motor," M`peth qHo objected.

"That will not matter, Commander," said TaH `Kiy mTh, looking contemplative. "The water will not affect it."

M`peth qHo and Chep `Urt vEss looked to Tem l`eth tong for confirmation.

"He is correct," she said. "This has been my hope and my plan since Ben `Jamin described the nature of the wrecked vehicle to me."

Only a little more time was spent in the grotto getting the power pack attached to the leads coming down from the station on the top of the cliff. Meanwhile, Benjamin kicked and scattered the small scavengers, then set about dragging the carcass of the poly-pod away, saying it would soon attract larger, more dangerous creatures.

Everyone who had ventured out on the island felt the need for some rest and more food. The only setback was that none of them wanted to eat tanglefish again. While they liked it, variety was preferred.

"Yeah," Benjamin said when Liat `del Qha explained the situation upon his return. "It gets old. That's why I ate the centipede."

"Could you hunt more centipede?" the Pah`Tht asked hopefully. She still regretted having declined his offer at mid-day.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "That would take too long. The storm moved out, though." He paused to think and a speculative glimmer sparked and vanished in his eyes before he said, "Ask Chep `Urt vEss if he would like to go fishing with me."

Liat `del Qha looked dubious, but after conferring with M`peth qHo she asked the gunner. To her surprise, he agreed readily. They found Benjamin with Ima` Nef`Tn, who was also looking dubious, working on two long, slim poles. He was carving the splintered ends with his knife while she bound them tight with narrow strips of some sort of thin, stretchy hide.

"That is good, Babe," Benjamin said in Japanese after examining her work on the first pole. "Do this one, too, while I explain the plan to the big guy."

Liat `del Qha translated what Benjamin intended.

"He says this is the fastest way to get fish," she said, paraphrasing. "He says he will show you once you are at the place he fishes most often."

"He has no hooks or barbs," Chep `Urt vEss observed skeptically. "This should prove interesting."

It did prove interesting. Chep `Urt vEss did not enjoy the ride in Benjamin's canoe, though he assumed a stoic silence. The little watercraft was too small for his liking. To his surprise it did not overturn or sink when he climbed in and sat near the bow. Benjamin was very casual about getting in. He did not sit, however. Rather, he stood and used a long oar very like the one he had used to propel the raft on the night the Char`Noth crashed. Pushing out from the dock he followed the same channel as before, but about half way back along the route he turned aside into a much narrower track.

Chep `Urt vEss tried to watch the jungle for signs of threat, but found himself distracted by the rocking of the canoe. He began to regret his choice to come on this adventure. He had no wish to be pitched into the narrow canal. As they rowed deeper into the forest the foliage overhead seemed to press down on him. It was much warmer and the air much heavier with humidity. His breathing became slightly more difficult and for the first time he felt his environment suit an encumbrance more than an aid. It was tempting to turn on the suit's integral cooling system, but Chep `Urt vEss thought it would make him look weak in the eyes of the Human. That was unacceptable, so he endured the heat and focused on the jungle.

Finally, the canal opened out onto a wider body of water. Benjamin brought the canoe to a stop against a large fallen tree that jutted out into this expanse. Chep `Urt vEss did not understand the words the Human used, but it was clear he was meant to get out of the canoe and onto the mostly dead tree. Benjamin passed him a line and pointed at a broken branch, gesturing to indicate he wanted the canoe tied off. Once done, the Human passed the long poles up to the gunner. He then joined him on the tree.

Talking the whole while, Benjamin demonstrated how to tie three bulbous nut-like pods and what appeared to be some kind of jawbone to the end of one of the thin poles. He held it up, smiling and showed Chep `Urt vEss how pulling on a cord would bring the wickedly pointed teeth of the jaw into contact with the pods. Then it was Chep `Urt vEss's turn. Looking closely at the contraption the Human had assembled, the gunner worked methodically. When he was done Benjamin examined his efforts and gave a nod of approval.

Chep `Urt vEss was expecting they would set about fishing right away, but Benjamin laid the poles in the crook of a branch and began searching along the trunk of the tree. It was not long before he shot a hand out and snatched a thing that clicked and squirmed in his grasp as he presented it to the big dTel`Qohar. It was a miniature of the beast Tem l`eth tong had killed in the grotto. With practiced ease, the Human held the little horror in both hands and then snapped it along the long axis. Blood and fluid leaked out of the broken shell, but the creature did not die. Rather it squirmed all the more. With a flick of his wrist Benjamin cast the wounded creature into the water between two large, partly submerged branches.

With gestures and words the gunner did not understand, Benjamin communicated that Chep `Urt vEss should do as he had done. It took only a Taq`a to find, catch and maim another of the small crustaceans. He was about to cast it into the same place as Benjamin had cast his, but the Human stopped him, indicating a different pair of branches. With an inward shrug, the gunner obeyed and then looked to the Human for what to do next.

Benjamin retrieved the long poles and handed one to Chep `Urt vEss. Again he pantomimed his instructions. They were to lower the attached pods into the water and when Benjamin gave the signal they would pull hard on the thin lines that would move the jawbones. Chep `Urt vEss smiled at that. He thought he was beginning to understand the manner of this Human's fishing.

Patiently they waited with the pods submerged. Chep `Urt vEss watched as more swimming things investigated the bloody water. It did not take long before Benjamin gave the nod. Chep `Urt vEss hauled back on the thin line, felt an instant of resistance and then three explosions in rapid succession threw gouts of water in the air at the end of his pole. He staggered back a step, but grinned widely. Dead or stunned fish floated to the surface between the thick branches. Looking over his shoulder at the Human's effort showed a nearly identical scene.

The Human seemed very pleased and clapped Chep `Urt vEss on the shoulder. At another time the gunner might have taken offense to that gesture, but not now. In this space, alone together, he and the Human were just a pair of males sharing in the ancient practice of bringing in food. Benjamin wasted little time in celebration, though. He crept nimbly down one branch and used his long pole to push the floating fish towards the trunk of the tree before gathering them in. Those that showed signs of life he took by the tail and slapped against the trunk until they stopped moving. Following his example Chep `Urt vEss did the same, wishing he were not wearing his boots. The traction soles did well enough, but his naked claws would have done better.

It took far longer to load their fish into the canoe than it had to actually catch them. Chep `Urt vEss found his suit more and more irksome. With his tail confined down the leg of his suit his balance was not as good as it normally was. After slipping one too many times climbing up the branch to toss his fish into the canoe on the other side of the trunk he cursed and tore it off, going against all survival regulations. It was a relief, all the same. He could breathe better, though the air was still heavy and humid. He felt much freer and far more sure of foot. What was more, the work went quicker.

Back at the dock the two loaded their cargo of fish into four baskets. Benjamin brought out two stout poles and tied a pair of baskets to each, one at either end. In this way they carried the fish back to the grotto where they were greeted by Tem l`eth tong and Ty`em P`tral who were still working.

"A large harvest!" said Ty`em P`tral, impressed with the fish. Most were not overly large, but all looked as if they would taste better than the emergency rations she had anticipated for dinner.

"I will say the Human knows how to reap a quick reward," chuckled Chep `Urt vEss. He cast a surprisingly friendly grin Benjamin's way and then set down his burden near the dangling ropes of the windlass. "What have the two of you come up with, Tem l`eth tong?"

The veteran smiled up at the big gunner, pleased with herself.

"The power pack was badly depleted of energy," she said. "We have it hooked to the station atop the cliff and it is taking a charge readily. These Free Worlders know how to make things that last. Even left out in all manner of storm and weather, the components are in very good shape."

"What is this thing?" the gunner asked, picking up what appeared to be the insides of a helmet from one of their environment suits.

"It is the sensor web from Es`tl Mei qHa's helmet," she said a little somberly. Since his death on the night they crashed the weapons tech had lain in a side passage undisturbed. Because the others were readying him for his pyre he would no longer need his suit to protect his body from whatever scavengers might come to feed on it.

"What do you intend?" Chep `Urt vEss asked.

"I did not like the idea that another of those creatures might come upon us without warning," she explained. "With a little added power and a few alterations to the programing this should serve very well to alert us of threats. It is not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And here is something else I have made for the expedition."

From a pile of electronic components she lifted the communications gear salvaged from the spinner. To it was attached the headpiece out of Es`tl Mei qHa's helmet and a programing card.

"The transceiver is far more powerful than the ones in our suits," she said, indicating a convex disk attached to the unit. "More powerful than the one in the commander's suit, too. This card is from Es`tl Mei qHa's suit and was surprisingly easy to integrate with the Free World circuitry. That will allow for communication on all of our standard and secure channels. All that needs to be done is to charge the power cell."

"This cannot go inside a helmet," Chep `Urt vEss said, admiring the work.

"No," she agreed. "I will come up with something to protect it from the weather. There has to be something lying around somewhere we can put it in."

"Excellent work Tem l`eth tong."

"Thank you, Gunner." Her tail swished in the air, a sure sign she appreciated the acknowledgement of her effort.

"Will you come up now or wait until the fish are cooked?" he asked.

"We will come up when Es`tl Mei qHa is prepared," she said.

So it was that the jZav`Etch in the light of the setting sun lit the pyre that took away their fellow crewman's mortal remains. They did him all honors they were able and sang a traditional funeral chant before leaving him among the grave stones at the top of the cliff. Benjamin had not attended, being warned by Ima` Nef`Tn that his presence might not be welcome by all. When they returned to the main chamber the air was rich with the scent of roasted fish and several aromas they could not know.

"Well," Benjamin said after the meal. "I'm ready for a shower. Want to join me?"

Ima` Nef`Tn gave him a sly smile and said, "You may expect company shortly."

Benjamin winked at her and then strode to the back of the cave where he disappeared down the narrow chimney. The other cats all glanced expectantly at Ima` Nef`Tn, but it was Tem l`eth tong who rose to follow the Human. She strutted and swished her tail, obviously pleased with the prospect of what she was about to do.

Benjamin was lathering his hair when he heard the soft scuff of a footpad on stone. He smiled to himself in anticipation, already growing hard. Ima` Nef`Tn was an ardent lover and after so long alone the relief of her warm embrace was a great solace to him. Gentle hands caressed his shoulders and a low purr buzzed in his ears. She nuzzled his neck and licked him. Smiling, Benjamin turned his head and kissed her cheek then ducked under the flowing water to wash away the soap.

"I thought you were never coming," he chuckled as he turned to face his lover and then froze, surprised. "You?"

Tem l`eth tong did not try to restrain him when he stepped away from her. Instead she only stepped under the falling water and let it play over her prominent breasts and down her curvaceous body, smiling all the while.

"Um..." Benjamin was at a loss. Sure, she was a knockout, but she wasn't Ima` Nef`Tn! This could be trouble.

"Gift," Tem l`eth tong said in very carefully enunciated Japanese.

"What?" he asked, bewildered.

"Zsurprize?" she said, mispronouncing the English word, but still making herself understood. Liat `del Qha had taken pains to get her to enunciate clearly, but Teml`eth tong's Highland accent betrayed her.

"Damned right I'm surprised," he said, not sure if he should be angry. What if Ima` Nef`Tn caught him with this one? "A real catfight, that's what."

Tem l`eth tong frowned in puzzlement. Her tail flicked hard, sending a fan of droplets across the room. She had thought Liat `del Qha's cautions about how a Human might react to an unexpected mate were exaggerations, but seeing Benjamin standing there with his thick member beginning to droop and the dumb expression on his face made her reconsider.

"Ima` Nef`Tn okay ziss," she said, trying to make him understand. The Human's frown deepened. "Ima` Nef`Tn zay okay."

"Wait. What?" Benjamin said, still confused but no longer frowning.

"Ima` Nef`Tn," she said slowly and pointing up. "Okay thizss. Zshee zsore. Hurt."

Benjamin was confused at the words until Tem l`eth tong repeated them and indicated where Ima` Nef`Tn was sore. Then his eyes went wide in surprise.

"She said you could come down here and have sex with me?" he demanded, not remembering in that moment Tem l`eth tong could not understand him.

By his expression and the sudden stiffening of his member Tem l`eth tong knew the Human finally understood. Smiling in return she nodded and stepped from under the showerhead. She passed her hands lightly over her large, round breasts with their swollen nipples, causing the water to cascade down her flat stomach and over her shapely thighs in a rippling wave. Close now, within easy reach of her lips, she leaned out and kissed him inexpertly. She had practiced only a short time with Ima` Nef`Tn who was a very good teacher in this regard. They had enjoyed the contact, but both had been very tired at the time and had not gone farther.

"Chisq` Kah`*, Ben `Jamin?" she asked, breaking the kiss. She did not know if he would comprehend the meaning of her offer, but felt it would not hurt to make it. At least she could tell the other females she had done so and thereby be certain of following the proper forms, as little as she cared about such things these days. After all, she was no naïve virgin.

"I don't know," Benjamin muttered. His reluctance was wavering and might have won out had he not heard Angela's merry laughter in his mind.

"Are you kidding me, Ben?" Angela's cheerful voice echoed as if from far away.

With that he bent and kissed the cat before him and enjoyed her purring.

Tem l`eth tong was more than a little relieved when she felt Benjamin's hands on her hips, pulling her closer. How humiliating it would have been had she been forced to climb back up and admit defeat to her companions. She was pleased when his kiss became more fervent and his hands slid from her hips to her rump, drawing her in tighter. The feel of his rigid shaft against her belly took her off her guard, though. She had seen it and anticipated what it might be like, but the contact made the reality sink in. He was not long like the males of her kind. His girth was something else. She drew away from him and looked down, examining him closely for the first time.

RipperFish
RipperFish
2,518 Followers