Story of The Day

Story Info
Bad News. Worse News.
1.1k words
3.12
2k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Wordmate
Wordmate
101 Followers

What can you say about controversial TV columnist Laura Tucker? Since getting the job she'd been enjoying the limelight and the hate she occasionally receives from viewers; sometimes even threats. She claimed to know about everything and telling the viewers how it really works in the real world. She was arrogant and egotistical, not caring any less if people loved her or not. All that matter to her was a steady paycheck and a bottle of wine every night.

"I tell it like it is because I see it how it is" was her intro on every show she'd done. "Let's start today on how right I was about this outbreak nonsense. Was I right or was I right? It's all a trick to get us to take some vaccine, from what I heard turns us into mindless slaves so the government can use us for slave labor or assassination missions. It's the Manchurian Candidate come to life, people. We can not allow that to happen and I won't allow that to happen as long as I'm still breathing."

The outbreak she referred to was something more grisly and frightening to the human eye. Some people believed it was serious, while others believed it was all a hoax. It was a mind altering virus, causing the infected to develop mass hallucinations. Virologists had no idea where the virus came from or how or where it was developed.

Laura believed that the vaccine was responsible for these hallucinations; she was wrong on so many levels. Supposedly she did her own research online from a controversial website that according to her gave better medical advice. She took that info with her, spreading it all over the air waves faster than the virus itself.

As time went by the virus mutated into something more worse. Those infected developed homicidal tendencies. They killed their neighbors, their loved ones, their pets, and whoever looked to be a threat to them. Many were arrested while some were gunned down by police. Those who were arrested had no memory of their own actions.

Weeks later, the virus mutated once again and the infected had gone from homicidal maniacs to cannibalistic killers. They went from killing their victims to actually consuming them, feasting on human flesh down to the bone.

Those that took the virus seriously actually received the vaccine. Others refused, believing every word Laura had spoken. Many believed the virus was a hoax, while others thought it was no big thing; that people were just sick and doctors were unwilling to treat them. Local police were being branded as killers for putting the infected down instead of helping them.

"People," said Laura, "let's be real here. Zombies? Seriously? This ain't no Hollywood movie. This is real life, people. These scare tactics should not be taken seriously. What next, we're being invaded by crocodiles from space?"

Conspiracy theories grew from ridiculous to the pathetic. People actually believed that the infected were really stunt doubles doing a horror film. Others assumed they were just sick and they'd be back to normal in no time. Even though graphic videos were posted online, showing how grim the situation was, people were too stubborn and selfish to get the vaccine. Religious fanatics would soon take a turn, saying the infected were actually possessed by demons or that this was a punishment from God.

"I would rather," said Laura, "have measles for the rest of my life than get injected with that crap. No, sir. I don't know about you but I intend to live my life to the fullest."

Laura believed God would protect her from any harm, even claiming to be a born again Christian. No matter how many lies she told on the air, she enjoyed the spotlight and felt nothing could take that away from her.

Little did she know that the city she loved was being overrun by the infected. Hundreds had broken through the barricades and the police were powerless. The mayor refused any help from the National Guard because he thought he had everything under control. The streets were drenched in blood and fires broke out, blanketing the city in a fog of black smoke.

Laura was about to continue when a commotion broke out behind the cameras, leaving her disappointed by this interruption. She thought no big deal until her colleagues continued the conversation, forgetting the cameras were still rolling.

"Hey," she said, "what's going on? We're still on the air, right?"

No one responded, but she distinctly heard one of them say, "they're coming." Laura felt disrespected when no one responded to her.

"Excuse me," she said, "what's going on?"

A member of her staff, in glasses and wearing suspenders, approached her and told her about the situation going down. She gave a slight chuckle as though it was a joke. The young man couldn't believe that she would laugh at a time like now. Laura went back to what she did while her colleagues rushed each other to barricade the doors.

"I don't know how to say this", she said, "but the infected are coming our way. Somehow they broke through the barricades and they've taken the city. We'll stay on the air until we have complete coverage on what's really going on."

The infected had reached the news station, crashing through the glass doors. They fell and stepped on one another, nearly causing a dog pile. They crawled and rushed right up, going further and greeted by gunfire from the security guards they encountered. They were outnumbered and over matched with no chance in making it out alive.

"They're inside! They're inside!" The security guard yelled through his walkie-talkie, before being devoured by the hordes of infected.

"Please stay indoors," Laura told the viewers at home. "This has become a serious situation. Someone help us. Please, we need help."

Once the infected reached the station, the barricades weren't enough to keep them at bay. The numbers grew until they burst right through the doors, feeding on their newly discovered prey. Laura could not believe what she saw transpiring before her. Instead of running she stood her ground, still with the thought that she would not be harmed.

"God will protect me," she muttered. "He will protect me. I know he will."

Laura remained seated with her eyes closed, believing a miracle was inevitable. Turns out she couldn't always get what she wanted as the infected gathered around, feasting upon her soft flesh. She cried, feeling teeth ripping her apart while still begging for her creator to save her.

Soon the cries for help had died down and the studio a bloody and grisly mess. The message, "experiencing technical difficulties," flashed on every television in every home.

Wordmate
Wordmate
101 Followers