STP...is the Racer's Edge

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,796 Followers

She looked down as she finished chewing. "Now I feel horrible," she said. "That was very insensitive of me. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. I'm really sorry, Lane."

"I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. It's just that I really don't know very much about you, and I was kind of trying to find some common ground. Don't feel bad. I know what you meant."

She felt the need to move away from that topic and said, "You know I'm married and have a son your age. How about you?" As she nibbled on a baked potato chip, she asked him, "Is there anyone special in your life?"

"No, not really. I was seeing someone at school, but that was pretty much just a fling kind of thing."

"A fling? That's not something someone your age says a lot. Sorry about bringing up the age thing again." She looked at him strangely then said, "Flings usually take place with one or both people being married and you're single so... Oh. Oh! Ohhh!!"

Lane had to laugh as he took a sip of water. "I don't kiss and tell, but there was a very attractive professor who um...took a lot of...interest in me."

Marlis nearly spewed her diet Coke when he phrased it like that. "Oh, my God! Seriously?" She sat there and looked at him for a second and said, "Well, okay, I can definitely see that happening." She smiled to play down the comment but at least she didn't qualify the compliment this time.

"She was very attractive. Not as attractive as you, but still very nice looking."

Marlis made a face that meant 'yeah, right' as she didn't think she was that good looking but Lane just ignored it. "She'd been married for ten years and I guess her husband was gone a lot and not very available whenever he was home. She'd recently left him and I was the lucky guy who um...caught her on the rebound so to speak."

"Gee, why does all of that sound familiar?" she said tapping the table pretending to have to really think about the reason why.

"But other than that, no, there's no one special."

"So you have one year of college behind you. What are you plans after you graduate? Any idea yet?"

Lane smiled politely and said, "My ultimate goal is to help people. What I do for a living is a separate issue. I just feel like life's given me so many good things I want to be able to pass it on, you know?"

Marlis was touched by him comment. He couldn't have much money or other material things, but he spoke as though he had the whole world in his hands. "Well, you certainly did something nice for me yesterday and again this morning. You're going to make some young woman very happy someday, Lane."

"That's kind of you to say, but I'm not really looking. I want to finish school and just do whatever I can along the way to lend a hand. I try to volunteer a few days a month to help Habitat for Humanity, but I can't always find the time. There's also a local Boys Club I try and spend some time at just playing basketball or whatever with kids who don't have dads at home and what not."

"You're an amazing young man, Lane. I'm very impressed."

He played off her latest compliment and said, "I guess we should work out a training schedule for you." The spent the next twenty minutes discussing how many miles she should ride a day in order to ready for the 202-mile ride coming up in just five weeks.

"If you want to complete the ride in under 15 hours, it's going to take a lot of dedication and hard work. That's the bad news. The good news is it won't be like riding across the Rocky Mountains or anything. There is one long stretch of hills but's it's otherwise reasonably flat."

"I hadn't set a goal in terms of time, I just knew I wanted to do the ride. This is one thing I can do for myself. Something that's mine and mine alone, you know? So if you think 15 hours is a reasonable goal, then let's do it!"

"Okay, but keep in mind you're gonna have to build up to a double-century ride—two, one-hundred mile rides—gradually. You're in good shape from doing Zumba but you're going to be using different muscles and just keeping your ass...sorry! Keeping your butt in the saddle that many hours isn't easy."

"Saddle?" she asked quizzically.

"Right. Riders don't call it a 'seat.' The proper term is 'saddle' and they tend to be hard as rocks. That's why I replaced yours with a gel-cushion version. It's still small but that extra cushion will really help. So tomorrow at 8am?"

"Sounds great. Where shall I meet you?"

He told her where she could park her car along the trail she'd ridden or that she could just ride from her house and meet him there and they could take off from there. "Okay, I'll see there at 8 o'clock and thanks for everything. I'll drop you off back at the shop and see if I can manage to get my bike off the rack when I get home without getting hurt."

"You'll be fine. Just be careful you don't get anything on your white top. It's really cute, by the way."

"Well, thank you. That was very nice of you!"

"And you'll notice I didn't qualify it with something like 'on a woman your age.'" He smiled even after she crumpled up her napkin and threw it at him.

______________________________________________________________________

That first morning they rode 25 miles and Marlis was already griping. "My legs are so sore from just then 10 miles or so I rode yesterday on my old bike! That said, this new bike is a dream. I feeling like I'm just flying along on it."

"The difference is unbelievable, isn't it?"

"So...are these spandex bike clothes going to make me ride any faster or just look like I was poured into them." She looked down and said, "They certainly show every little fold and bump."

Lane laughed and said, "You don't have a single fold or bump." She looked at him and he quickly said, "Not that I was looking or anything, mind you."

"Spandex lover?" she teased.

"No, kind of a knit top lover to tell the truth."

"Oh, okay. Now I know why you complimented me on my top. Hmmm. Nice to know," she said.

"Okay, tomorrow we're gonna add five miles then take a day off. You'll come back and ride 35 miles then 40 then take a day off. We want you to ride your first century a few days before the halfway point between now and the STP. We can adjust that as needed. Oh, and we'll need to be out earlier as we increase the mileage so I'll bring you a light for your handlebars tomorrow."

Right on schedule, Marlis rode her first century, a full 100 miles in just over two weeks of training. "That was SO awesome!" she said afterward.

"And you averaged just under 20mph. That's impressive."

"Go ahead. You can say it," she told him.

"Say what?"

"For someone my age," she told him.

"Okay, I'll let you have that one, but I want to go on record saying I haven't made a single comment about age since we started training."

"And I have to give you that one for sure. You've been very kind not to remind me."

"Why would I remind you of something I never think about?" he said.

Marlis took a long drink of her G2 and water mix and said, "It's funny but I don't think it about anymore when I'm with you, either. It's like it doesn't matter or something."

"It doesn't matter," he told her. "We're friends so who cares what number's on your birth certificate? I sure don't. I just look forward to hanging out with you."

"Yeah. Same here," she said quietly her voice trailing off. "So...is there any chance I could make you dinner? You know, as a kind of celebration for our first...I mean, my first century ride?"

"Oh, um, I don't think I'd feel very comfortable eating dinner with you and your husband. I can't imagine we'd have much to talk about, you know?"

"He's out of town for the next three days so you wouldn't have to worry about listening to him bore you to death talking about some arcane tax restructuring with one of his clients. I'll make spaghetti. That's good for carb loading, right?"

"It is and it's one of my favorites."

"So how about tonight at my place? Say 7 o'clock?"

"I dunno, Marlis. Aren't you tired of spending so much time with a guy your son's age? Seems like you'd prefer some more adult company."

"If I didn't like spending this much time with you, I wouldn't ask you," she said very sweetly. "I'd really like it if you'd say 'yes.' Please say yes?"

"Okay. You got yourself a deal," he told her. "So um, whereabouts do you live?"

She always had her cell phone with her now and said, "What's your number?" He gave it to her and she tapped out her address and hit 'send.'

"Oh, okay. I know where that is. That's the neighborhood my family calls 'Swankyville.'"

"Sorry, I can't help where I live. I can try not to be a snob about it, though," she told him with a bright smile.

"I can't imagine anyone ever saying that about you, Marlis. You're one of the most easy-going, down-to-earth people I've ever met. You're really easy to talk to."

"Right back at you, Lane," she said. "So...I'm gonna take off. Thanks again for getting me halfway there. See you tonight?"

"I'll be there," he told her.

"The garage is around back and I'll have it open for you. So you can just pull in there and come inside through the garage. No need to ring the bell or knock. Just come on in, okay?"

"Will do," he said as she waved goodbye and headed off to ride the last few miles back to Swankyville.

______________________________________________________________________

"Holy cow," he said as he drove into the gated community. Every home was amazing and some were downright spectacular.

He pulled into the four-car garage and took the one empty space between her Mercedes and a very sleek looking Audi. He got the door and realized he couldn't just walk in even though she'd said it was okay. He rang the doorbell and waited.

"Lane?" he heard her call out as she got closer to the door.

"Yes, ma'am," he said loudly enough to be heard.

She opened the door and smiled warmly and said, "Hi! Come on in."

She stepped aside for him and even though he tried not to stare, his head wouldn't turn back around. He nearly walked into the wall before getting it together.

"You okay?" she said as he straightened himself out.

"Yeah. I just didn't expect you to look...well...I mean, you look really nice."

"Thank you!" she said as she led him down the hall that connected to the kitchen.

"Wow," was all he said when he walked into the huge, state-of-the-art kitchen with high-end...everything.

"It's just about ready," she told him not wanting to talk about the house which to her was just brick and mortar. In fact, it often felt like a very large cell in a minimum security prison where she spent every day all alone.

"Do you drink wine or is that off limits because of you're training regimen?"

"Do you have any beer?" he asked with a smile. "College students aren't big wine drinkers, you know."

"I remember," she said. "One beer coming right up."

She poured herself a glass of expensive cabernet sauvignon and handed him a Heineken. "That's more like it," he said as he twisted off the bottle cap. "Cheers!"

They touched glass and Marlis invited him to sit down. "I have freshly-made French bread but I didn't want to put anything on it until I talked to you. Would you like butter or garlic or maybe just plain?"

"Uh...go ahead and make it the way you like. I'm not a very picky eater. I'll be happy with whatever you decide."

"Okay. Butter and garlic it is!" she said happily. "I don't think I've even been in this kind of shape before. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all you help, Lane. I even feel good about myself again and that's been just about the best part of all this."

"Just about?" he asked as she slid the bread into the huge double oven.

"Yeah. I mean, there's one thing I like more about it, but that's been really great."

"I guess you're not going to volunteer that information, are you?"

"If I have to say it out loud then maybe you're not as perceptive as I've been giving you credit for." She smiled at him as she drained the water from the pasta.

"Oh, okay. Duh!" he said pointing to his head. "I've enjoyed your company, too, you know."

The butter had already melted and the crust was perfect so she grabbed an oven mitt and pulled out the tray. "It's funny but riding with you is the thing I look forward to most of all now." She slid the bread onto a large, very elegant platter and set it on the table.

"That smells amazing," he told her.

She brought the spaghetti and marinara sauce over and set it down, as well. "You look amazing, too," he told her.

"Really?" she said with what sounded like genuine surprise. "Well, thank you."

She really did look great. She was wearing a pale yellow, sleeveless rib-knit top with a low neckline and a short black skirt and a pair of heels. Lane also noticed the chunky gold necklace and matching earrings which complimented her very pretty face. Unlike the first time he saw her at the bike shop where she had her long, blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail, she'd styled it and it was very soft and silky. She wore just enough makeup to enhance her natural beauty but not so much that it looked caked on or gaudy. In a word she was gorgeous.

"I remembered you mentioning knit tops so I thought you might like this one," she said without looking at him.

"I do. You look good in anything, but that's just...wow."

"Okay, so...shall we?"

They talked about the rest of her training cycle and how they'd have to break it up into morning and evening rides or she'd have to ride by herself when he needed to leave for work.

"Are you planning on riding this year, by the way? I've never even asked you," she told him.

"I hadn't planned on it, but I'd be happy to keep you company if you'd like."

"Would you? I would be SO glad if you did. I mean, I'm doing this come hell or high water, but it would mean so much to me if you could cross the finish line with me." She realized what she just said and added, "I mean, I know you'd finish way ahead of me. I guess I should have said 'to have you waiting for me.' So would you?"

"Sure. I'll sign up on line tomorrow. I should have already done that."

After dinner she asked him if he'd like to sit and talk for a while and he told her, "I guess I could keep you company for a little while longer. Just let me know when you've had enough of me, okay?"

She sat very close to him and said, "I can't imagine that's going to happen."

She was staring into his eyes and Lane felt that connection he always felt when a woman wanted to take things to the next level. Evidently, Marlis felt it too, as she leaned over and kissed him softly. "Is that okay?" she asked.

"You have no idea how much I've wanted to kiss you," he told her.

"Me, too," she said as she leaned in and kissed him again. She went to put her arm around his neck when he gently moved it down. "What's wrong?" she asked.

Lane sighed and said, "You can't imagine how much I want you."

"Yes, I can," she told him as she kissed him again. This time he didn't respond to her kiss.

"I know you're gonna think I'm crazy or something, but I don't think I can do this," he said.

"Why? I want you just as much, Lane. It's okay. No one will ever know."

He put his hand on her pretty face and said, "I will. Marlis? You're married and no matter how bad things may be, I...I just can't. I'm no saint. I'm not even religious. But I just can't."

She backed away and sighed. "I should have known," she said without accusation. "Smart, thoughtful, kind, caring, gorgeous, and you have real integrity. I feel more than a little embarrassed right now."

He put his hand on her shoulder and said, "Don't. We both want the same thing here. I just can't have it under these circumstances. If you were single...I'd be all over it. Oops. I didn't mean it that way." Marlis smiled before Lane said, "Well, come to think of it I guess I did mean it that way."

"You're such a good man, Lane. You put me to shame in every category. I actually envy you."

"As I said, I'm no saint. In fact, if I don't leave right now, I won't have enough willpower to walk out so I guess we'd better call it an evening, okay?"

Marlis sighed again and said, "I hope you won't start looking at me differently. If you do..."

"I can promise you that's not gonna happen. I mean, looking at you is the best part of my day."

"You're not making this any easier!" she said as she walked him to the door.

"It's not easy for me, either. Every part of my body..." He looked down at himself then back up at her and said, "And I mean every part...is screaming at me to stay."

Marlis smiled but couldn't laugh. "I still wish you would, Lane, but I won't beg. I need to have at least a little dignity left after throwing myself at you like this."

He put his hands on her shoulders and said, "If things ever change, if you ever find yourself free..."

"You'll be the first to know. I promise," she told him.

"Well, good night," his hands still on her shoulders. He knew he shouldn't, but she was just so damn beautiful. He leaned down and kissed her gently causing her to moan softly.

"Are you sure you won't stay?" she asked running her finger along his cheek.

"Barely, but yes, I'm sure. See you the day after tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," she said quietly. "Good night, Lane."

As the door closed behind him he closed his eyes and exhaled deeply. "Dad? I hope you're proud of me. You always told me a marriage vow was sacred, but that took every bit of strength you ever gave me. I'd say 'thanks' but I'm not sure I'm thankful."

He got in his beat-up old car, backed out, and drove home.

______________________________________________________________________

She could make out the outline of his silhouette at 5am when she arrived at their meeting place. "Good morning!" he called out much too cheerfully. "You ready?"

"Yeah, sure," she said. "It's really freakin' dark out here."

"The trail has some dim lighting along the way and our headlights will give us enough light to see the road with."

"I guess the good news is you can't see my face yet so you won't know how embarrassed I still am," she said.

"Forget about it," he told her. "It's water under the bridge. We've got a long, hard ride ahead of us today and it only gets tougher from here on out."

"Right you are," she said. "Okay, lead on."

Five hours later they were back where they started with just over 100 miles under their belts. "I'm gonna ride the last 25 by myself," she told him. "It's light enough out here now and I have my cell phone and repair kit and...you know."

"Okay, just be careful. I'll see you tomorrow," he told her as he got ready to go home and take a quick shower before going to work.

They followed their schedule religiously until the last ride three days before the race giving them ample rest before the STP.

On race day, they found each other in the huge and growing crowd. They checked in with registration and received their numbers. Each of them used the restroom one last time then waited for the start of the race.

They were about midway back in the pack of the roughly 10,000 riders. Their plan was to try and stay together until the pack thinned out then hold a 20mph pace the entire race. Both of them had done that once on their longest ride and they both felt really good. They had their drinks and snacks knowing there would be aid stations with more all along the route.

As they were called to their marks Lane said, "Good luck!"

"You, too!" she said excitedly. "This is it!"

The gun sounded and it take a couple of minutes before they could really even move. Slowly but surely they weaved in and out of pockets of riders until they finally had enough space to ride their own race.

They passed the 101-mile, halfway point seven hours and twenty-two minutes later. "Not a bad split!" he told her. "How do you feel?"

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,796 Followers