Stranded Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Drove past this lake on my last trip, knew I had to bring you here." Sam announced.

"It's beautiful, thank you for sharing this with me." I squeezed his hand and kept walking.

"It has been a nicer trip than I anticipated." he confessed. I felt myself inclined to agree. I would walk endless circles around the lake if he let me. I wished we could stay forever; I wasn't ready to go back. The first layer of dead leaves had already fallen, coloring the ground in reds, browns, oranges and yellows.

I wasn't foolish enough to believe he trusted me 100% just yet, but I had managed to convince him to trust me enough to take me out. I never could have anticipated him letting me this close to others. Though the gun he held in his pocket, probably gave him some confidence he had me under his control. Sam made sure to load it in front of me, letting me see that there were indeed real bullets in it. If I called for help, if he thought I was even pleading to someone with my eyes, he promised to shoot them, then me. I glanced at the people as they passed us by, never allowing myself more than a glimpse. They were carrying on with their normal, everyday life, blissfully unaware. I forced myself to push forward while I struggled not to be swallowed up by the longing. Was anyone even aware I had disappeared yet? Would Stacy have contacted my father to make sure I made it there safely? Or had her and Zane finally given up? If she really cared about you, she wouldn't have fucked your boyfriend. But surely after a few months at the very least, my father would wonder why I stopped calling...stopped asking for money. If he's still alive, and sober.

"Starting to get cold, we should head back to the truck." I shook myself from the gloomy thoughts.

"One more loop? Please?" He looked down the path then back at me.

"Are you gonna feel tempted to seek help? You look a bit antsy." It was a question I had been asked a lot in the last few days. At every weigh station, at the toll bridge, at every fast food and bathroom stop along the way. I had told him the truth every time, yes, I was tempted. I was pretty sure I would always feel tempted. Sam would thank me for being honest then sedate me. I'd wake up later in the secret compartment beneath his bed, bound and gagged. The first time I had panicked. I truly thought he had gotten fed up and buried me alive. Even though I had only done what he asked, be honest.

"Yes. But I won't do anything about it. I don't want anyone hurt because of me...I just...I really want one more loop." I locked my elbow around his, intertwining us even more as I leaned my head against his shoulder. Although he tried to hide it, I saw the edge of a smile sneak in. Maybe he isn't so impervious after all.

"Alright. One more." he ceded. I thanked him several times, jumping up to kiss his cheek. I made sure to memorize every detail of our last trip; I wanted to remember every tree, every leaf, every bush, I wasn't sure if I'd ever get another chance.

There were tears in my eyes as we climbed back into the cab of his truck and I thanked him again. It had been a real treat. He didn't have to do it, if his family found out I was sure he'd never hear the end of it. But I had proven myself, enough that he was willing to take that risk. And I understood how hard that sacrifice was for him, especially considering how many attempts I had made already. I knew how much he wanted to fit in with his family, it made me almost want to make him proud, to behave well. I pushed the thoughts away as I made myself comfortable. Ideas like that put me on a fast track to trouble. He locked my ankle into place; even in his truck he had chains, they were too short for me to even sit in the passenger seat properly, I had to have my left leg bent and off to the side.

But I was too grateful to even consider complaining, I didn't want to risk it being taken away. I had enjoyed a lot more than just being allowed to walk around the lake. The long freeways he let me roll the window down, he bought sugary snacks at nearly every stop. That combined with a giant thermos of coffee, and nonstop soda seemed to be our main diet. I never realized how much I had missed the sweet taste of junk food. When we weren't listening to music, he talked about the farm, the animals he still wanted, the garden he wanted me to plant; he talked of the plans to expand the house, after all he planned to have a lot of children and maybe even a few more wives. I feigned interest, but I didn't really plan to be around for any of it. I didn't know the first thing about gardening, or farm animals or even children for that matter, but none of that seemed to matter to him. I could learn.

I watched my freedom slowly pass us with every mile gained, making my anxiety rise. What if I never got to leave again? What if this was my one and only chance and I blew it trying to gain his trust? Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. You can do this, one day at a time. But it wasn't my last opportunity, one came the day after. I was still waking up from the last weigh station, after a couple days of being sedated I felt groggy and there was a small pounding in my temple. Sam announced one last stop in town to pick up a few supplies. My nerves were on edge as we pulled into the small-town parking lot.

"I need to go inside; I would like to take you with me. Maybe let you look at some of the fabric. You're going to need more dresses soon." His eyes flickered to my stomach. As if I'm going to let that happen.

"I get to choose?" The corner of his lip lifted.

"That depends. Promise me you won't run."

"I promise I won't run." He took me by the hand and led me inside the store. The man behind the cash register was old and he squinted at us as we approached.

"You sure it's a good idea to be bringin' her in here?" Sam glanced at me, then back at the old man.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with, old man. Came to get paid and see if my package has arrived?" The old man gave another look my way before hopping down from his chair and waddling his way into the back office.

"Go on sweetheart, have a look." He waved me off towards the fabric section. The aisles were long lines of bins that didn't reach higher than my chest. He could still see me, but I would be out of reach.

"By-by myself?" There were no doubts in my mind this was a test, most likely the biggest one yet, and I knew deep down I was going to fail. He nodded then turned back to speak with the old man who had returned with a small box. The game begins. My footsteps felt heavy as I scanned the array of options, eyes flickering up every so often as I slyly scanned the store. The selection of fabric was slim, but I pursued them as though I had interest. I lifted a few out, felt them with my hands. My eyes darted around nervously as I tried to remember my breathing. I was maybe thirty feet away from Sam, if I ran out the front door there is no telling how far I could get, possibly far enough away to find help. My stomach was doing somersaults as my fingers brushed the nearest bundle, doing my best to look interested. The dress I was currently wearing was white with grapes, pears, apples, bananas and peaches all over it, I was wearing your basic fruit salad. I felt as if they were meant to humiliate me.

It was bad enough I was stuck wearing long sleeved dresses that reached my ankles, but did he have to make them so different from all the other wives? Was his point to make me stand out or to stop me from completely blending in? I wore sandals, but I knew I could easily slip them off before bolting. If I wanted to get farther than just a few blocks I would have to. He kept his back to me, but I wasn't foolish enough to think he was unaware of my movements. My heart was beating faster and faster the longer I was by myself, legs began to feel restless, itching with the urge to move. There were other people in the store, but I couldn't risk their lives by asking for help. I didn't see any employees besides the old man, but if the store was owned by his family, the likelihood there was more of them around was high. What punishment awaited me if I was caught trying to run this time? Did I want to risk it? After how far I had already come?

"Pick something and bring it up." I grabbed the first one my hand touched, which happened to be a rich burgundy and tentatively made my way back to the register. The old man was giving me a mean stare, but I ignored it. The closer I got, the heavier my feet seemed to get, obeying him was difficult when freedom was within reach. You're an idiot, this was probably the last time you ever leave that house and you're too much of a coward to even try.

"Just this one? You sure you don't want any more? Might be awhile before we get back here." And those were the only words I needed to hear, it was as if the universe had heard my plea and this was their message. I glanced back at the fabric.

"Maybe one more. There was a cute one I saw when we walked in." Breathe. Inhale. Exhale. Act normal. Could he sense it? Was he waving the temptation knowing I was too weak to resist it? Could he see it in my eyes?

I walked up to the fabric that had caught my eye, it was bright pink with giant white daisies. As I lifted it up to show him, I slowly slid my feet from the sandals; he smiled in approval and my heart sank a little. This was going to hurt him. I could already see his eyes darkening. The linoleum floor was cold, and I was close enough to feel the fresh breeze that rolled in with the opening of the automatic doors. His eyes narrowed suspiciously; I was taking too long to make my final move. No time for second guessing, I threw down the fabric and ran, flip flops abandoned. I grabbed a nearby rack on my way out, pulling it down. If it worked in the movies, it would work for me. I could hear him calling after me, but I didn't waste precious seconds by looking behind me, I ran as fast as my legs would carry me; down the sidewalk, into an alley, taking turns, not quite sure where my final destination was. I just knew that if I stopped or slowed down it would be the end. He had warned me, and he'd already killed me once for it. My lungs burned as I gasped heavily for precious oxygen. At least he doesn't have his dogs and motorbike this time. But he was fast on his feet, fast enough I could hear him behind me. Gaining distance every step of the way. I must have looked crazy running through the streets, barefoot and dressed in fruit. I turned a corner and darted down the next alley, crouching behind the nearby dumpster for cover. It was only seconds before he ran past without so much as a glance down the alley. My body was shaking like a wet leaf. I watched the entryway vigilantly as I tried to catch my breath. I had done it; I had finally gotten away!

How long did I wait before venturing out? A minute? Five? Maybe an hour? I was willing to crouch there for the rest of the day if I had to. But I would have no such luck. I was suddenly lifted off the ground, one arm around my waist and the other muffling my scream as I threw myself about wildly.

"I will snap your neck right here if you scream again." he whispered, tightening his grip in emphasis while dragging me deeper into the alley. He threw me against the brick wall, hands on my biceps as he gave me a violent shake and pinned me there. When I looked up into his clear blues eyes, I saw they were filled with genuine fear and I realized it was still Sam.

"Do you have any idea what would happen If THEY caught you, instead of me?!?" I heard the questions but all I could wonder was, where was Arioch? He should have appeared by now.

"Please, I just want to go home!" I broke into fresh sobs; I had not come this close just to be stopped now. I had to get away, I had to break free or die trying.

"That is not your home anymore! Your place is with me," he growled. He slammed me against the wall, his forearm pinning me by my throat. A broken board from a nearby pallet stood leaning against the dumpster, as if waiting for this very moment.

"You made a fool out of me, wife. And in front of an elder no less. Again." I didn't wait to hear the rest of his speech, I brought my palm up and into his nose, hitting him with everything I had in me. I felt the crunch beneath my hand which sent him reeling backwards.

I coughed and gasped as I grabbed the board and swung, catching his temple. He fell, and I hit him again for good measure before taking off. I needed to find an officer or somewhere I could call for help. I took several more turns, weaving my way through the alleys. I needed somewhere more public. Just as I came out onto the main road my shoulders sagged in relief. It was a car headed my way, Portville Police Dept was written on the side. My lungs burned but I ran towards it. I didn't wait for him to get out, I approached the window, glancing back to make sure I wasn't being followed. The tinted window rolled down just enough I could hear his voice.

"Ma'am, please step away from the vehicle."

"Y-y-you have to help me. My name is Katherine Walden and I was kidnapped..."

"Ma'am, I'm gonna need you to step away from the vehicle. Now." He spoke through the loudspeaker this time, causing me to wince. I took a few steps back, and he got out slowly. I noticed he'd already unbuttoned his holster. I attempted to approach but he held out his left hand, his right on the butt of his gun. I froze in place.

"Ma'am, is that your blood?" Sam's nose, did some of his blood get on my dress? His eyes traveled lower.

"Ma'am, is that your blood? Where on earth are your shoes?" I looked down to see that I had left a trail of bloody footprints behind me.

I lifted my foot to see several small cuts. I didn't feel myself step on anything sharp, but if I had to guess, it was probably broken glass next to the dumpster.

"Didn't you hear a word I said...my name is Katherine Walden...I've been held captive, you have to help me, he's chasing me." He glanced behind me and opened his mouth for what I assumed was going to be another dumb question, but it was interrupted by the walkie clipped to his shoulder.

"We got an assault with a deadly weapon, the suspect is female, roughly 5'7, 150 pounds, short red hair and blue eyes, last seen fleeing on foot wearing a white dress covered in fruit. May or may not be armed. Proceed with caution. Husband claims she's off her meds, bring her on down to the station, we'll get this all sorted out."

"Officer Riley here, I found your suspect, I'll be bringing her in." Had Sam really called the police? And they were taking him seriously. That didn't bode well. My mouth hung open in disbelief and I was literally speechless. Officer Riley released the talk button and pulled his cuffs out from his belt.

"You heard the Chief, gotta take you in until we can sort out who's telling the truth. If you don't fight, I'll cuff them in front." Sobs burst free and I nearly collapsed. I had finally tasted a minute of freedom, I couldn't go back, not now. Not after I had come so far. I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and that made me hesitate. Once those cuffs were on, I didn't think they would be coming back off.

"You don't understand, I can't go back there. I won't go back there; I would rather die than go back." My fingers began to tingle as a wave of dizziness washed over me, a sharp pain emanating from my chest. Not now! Not now! Inhale. Exhale. Riley took a step forward, and I took off. He caught me before the end of the block, throwing me down on the grass, as he painfully jerked my arms behind my back and cuffed them.

"Innocent people generally don't make a run for it." He announced, pulling me to my feet.

"You have no idea what you are taking me back too." Riley loaded me into the backseat, sticking my legs out the door. He knelt and lifted my ankle to inspect the bottom of my foot.

"Don't move, if you make a run for it and I will taze you," he warned. The cuts weren't deep, but there were several of them and they were starting to sting. Why was it that wounds always hurt twice as much when you were looking at them? Officer Riley returned with a water bottle and a first aid kit. He donned a pair of gloves before rinsing off the bottom of my foot. He squeezed my foot a little causing me to scream but he didn't let go.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

"Hold still miss potty mouth. Chief insisted we all learn first aid; we only have one hospital in this town, and he doesn't want to waste their time on small things. I can't have you bleeding all over my car. Making sure there wasn't glass in your wounds. I'm going to disinfect, then wrap it up. " He tore open a packet with his teeth, pulling out the giant swab of iodine and began rolling it over my foot. He wrapped it up carefully before shutting the door and climbing in. I could feel the tears streaming down my cheeks, mixing with the splatters of blood on my dress. That's never going to come out you know, it's ruined. At least there was one upside, I'd never have to look like fruit salad again.

"Dispatch, Officer Riley, heading back with the suspect now."

"Copy that." I leaned my forehead against the thick plexiglass that separated us.

"I'm not crazy, I swear. I don't take medication, never have. That man, the one claiming to be my 'husband', he kidnapped me. We're not even really married. Please, you must believe me. If you give me a phone, I can call my father, he'll tell you who I really am. He'll tell you I'm not crazy."

"You are the one covered in blood, which does make his story more plausible. Don't fret ma'am, we'll get this all sorted down at the station." I cried the rest of the ride, snot and tears ran freely down my face. When he helped me out, he uncuffed me and handed me a second handkerchief from his pocket.

"Keep it." He led me into the station, one hand resting on my shoulder; it would have been comforting if he wasn't leading me straight to my death. The inside of the station was...cozy, the exact kind you'd expect a small town to have. A small cluster of desks sat in the middle, there were 2 interview rooms off to the right and three holding cells off to the left. The only one to have his own office was the Chief. Sitting across from him was Sam. There was already bruising over the bridge of his nose and in the corners of his eyes. I felt a jolt of pride shoot through me; I had gotten him pretty good.

A third officer sat at his desk filling in a crossword and barely looked up long enough to acknowledge our presence. Riley led me past the half door that separated the lobby from the desks. When Sam finally looked my way, I easily recognized that it was Arioch, not Sam and he looked....disappointed. Very disappointed.

"Which room, Chief?"

"Room one." Riley pushed me into the room where he cuffed my hands to the small loop in the center of the table, like I was some criminal.

"You're making a mistake. Please, let me call my father!" I pleaded.That will only save you if he's still alive. Not that he'll stay that way for long, you broke your promise.

"Have to follow protocol, ma'am." Then I was alone with nothing but the sound of the iridescent lights buzzing above me. The room was maybe 6x10, the table taking up most of that space. I half expected to find a two-way mirror but there was only a small window near the ceiling. Too small to fit through, not that I could escape the cuffs anyways.

I was not surprised when the door opened and Arioch entered instead of an officer, but the sinking feeling in my gut only got worse. Did they really believe him over me? Were they not even going to give me the benefit of the doubt and check my side out? He calmly sat down across from me, pulling out a small orange pill bottle from his jacket pocket. There was no label, just small blue pills, he took two out and pushed them across the table. When I showed no signs of picking them up, he pulled a water bottle from his other pocket, the plastic cracking as he opened it and slid it towards me as well.